“Just ok for adults, great for kids” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Ixtapa Pacific

You added Club Med Ixtapa Pacific to your Saves list
Club Med Ixtapa Pacific
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Quieta | Estado de Guerrero, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40 880, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Seattle
“Just ok for adults, great for kids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This was our first time to any Club Med property. It was my husband, 7 year old son, and 15 month old daughter. We have traveled internationally a lot and stayed in a wide variety of places. We went with 3 other families for one week at Spring Break.

For starters, the rooms are pretty run down (ants, cracks, no daylight). I expected more after look at the photos on the website. Those rooms must exist somewhere on the property...Second, it's a pretty large resort which means allowing for travel time (to get to a restaurant/dining hall or to join for kid activities). Third, bring as much sunscreen as you can because one bottle will cost $25 once you are on the property. Fourth, the "specialty" restaurants offer very plain food and the best part about them is the lack of a giant crowd which means no standing in line for dinner). Oh, and the wi-fi is outrageously priced and spotty ($50 for one week for one device).

Now, the good parts. First, the beach and water are great. The waves are small, sand is soft, and water is warm. Second, the food was really quite good at the main restaurant even though it feels like a giant buffet for every meal every day. Third, the staff is really nice (including kids club and baby club). Fourth, the pools are great for the little kids (they are super loud so don't expect to relax there as an adult).

It's probably great to go once...but not somewhere that we will go again.

Room Tip: Try to find the rooms that are shown on the website...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
Tigard, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This is a special place. We have been here approximately 8 or 9 times over the years, mostly at Spring Break. We have watched our kids grow up at this incredible resort and have enjoyed watching how their experiences have changed. In the first couple of years they were content to just play on the beach and hang with us. Then came the teen club years and now they are new adults and have outgrown the teen clubs, Most recently we returned with multiple families so the kids were able to still find sufficient fun things to do, mostly amongst themselves but at night enjoying the company of the G.O.'s. I will say that this time as a splurge we stayed in Sol and had a suite. The concierge staff was great and took care of every need/desire. The beach staff had our chairs and umbrella set up each morning after the first morning and were very attentive. As a vacation tip, get multiple drinks at a time and a bucket of ice from the beach boy as the rounds take longer to make given the location of the Sol beach. We had a ground floor unit which allowed us the opportunity to walk straight out to the beach but it would have been better if you could lock the patio door. The food during the day can become somewhat routine so observe the G.O's and how they eat as you will notice how they combine entrees to spice things up a bit. Alas all good things must come to an end and so we say goodbye to this resort until we can return with grandkids.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We decided to try club med for the first time this Springbreak with our kids and the trip was really fun. Upon arrival there was a welcome party waving and waiting for us at the entrance with drinks and fresh towels. Each family then had a guide who took us to our room. They delivered our luggage from the bus directly to the room which was nice so we didn't have to drag them around. We have already received our room keys and towel cards when we met with the club med representative at the airport which saved time registering at the front desk upon arrival. Our club room was big with a separate kids room that contained two twin beds with a trundle. They had their own T.V and plenty of closet spaces and they loved the set up. We had jack and jill bathroom which is on the smaller side but two sinks which was helpful. The room was outdated however with chips on the doors and walls and old dirt that probably will never come off the corners. The refrigerator only had water and did not have any juices or sodas which is unusual for an upscale all inclusive resort. There was also no room service. There was a safe in the room but no slippers or robes. One of the AC units pumped out hot air and one of the shower heads was broken but both fixed by the next day. The maid did a pretty good job overall but did miss changing the trundle bed twice and we had to call to get some clean sheets both times. I don't think she clears up the tables at all b/c she did not see the tip we left her half the time during the week we were there.
The kids club was fantastic which was the main reason why we went there. They were well organized and all the G.O. worked so hard and long hours. Most of them seemed very excited to take care and play with the kids. We see them everywhere from day to night working hard. My older kid was hesitant to go to the kids club but the G.O. from his group really tried to play with him and take care of him. One thing about the kids club is that if the kid is in the 4-5 age group, he/she is not allowed to do all those fun things advertised on their website such as sailing and archery. I guess they have rules about that but I wished I knew ahead of time so I wouldn't say anything to my 5 year old who is about to be 6 in a couple of weeks. He was so disappointed. A shout-out to the G.Os who took care of him that week: Carla, Daniel, Mariana, Jo, Lou Lou, and Jazmin. You guys were great! Thank you for all your hard work. I appreciated Bob and Ernie also who made my older kid feel included.
The buffet was excellent and they had a different theme each night like Mexican or Asian. Breakfast was pretty much the same everyday although enough variety to not be too boring. Loved their Mexican food made fresh in front of you especially the soft tacos. Chicken mole is to die for. They also have made to order salad for you although the salad lady refused to make mine b/c I ordered a cesear and she said it was too easy that I should make it myself. The buffet restaurant service was absolutely terrible. I've been to Mexico 7 times and I have never seen such poor or lack of service. I had to wait so long just to order drinks that I just got up to get them myself most of the time. Don't try to go to eat at the buffet 30 min or less before they close b/c they will give you dirty looks. I found that hey actually stopped setting and cleaning the tables at that time to discourage people from eating at their section. There are two other sit down table service restaurants there but they don't open every night and if they do, the only way you will get a reservation is to stand in line at the lobby starting at noon the day prior. If you are not the first 10-12 people in line you will either not get a reservation or get an unfavorable time. It is because the restaurants are so small. The food by the way at both restaurants were no better than the food served at the buffet. I actually think the buffet was better. For breakfast and lunch, only one place open for business at a time. One starts early and one starts after the other one is closed. The dining experience was the reason I did not give 5 stars to this place.
The beach and pool are very nice. The water must have been in the 80's degree and so warm. The view, the sand, and the water all so very nice. The trapeze, sailing, canoeing made it the best of times for us. We booked a photo shoot and bought so many memories of our vacation. Totally worth it.
The shows every night very entertaining. The kids loved them.
Highly recommend bug repellent for we all got bites. Mosquitoes are inside the room too so be careful. Bring lots of sunscreen and beach toys/water floats. Each will cost you $20-30 in the store. We met lots of great people, ate alot of good food, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.
They have a a theme for clothing each night such as white, brown, etc.

vancouver, bc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Was our second time at Club Med Ixtapa. This time with my Mom, brother and his family, and my husband and kids.

Our kids were older this time (11 and 13), and had their cousins (9, 12 and 14) there, so they just did their own thing and didn't go to the kids club. Great for us though, as we didn't have to worry at all. They loved the freedom too.

Very relaxing, love getting margs anytime I want, even on the beach. Each day I got more and more relaxed. Didn't want to leave.

Would love to go back.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Fremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Such a fabulous family-oriented resort. My husband and I had down time, playtime, and meeting lots of new friends time, while my teenagers disappeared completely for the week with supervised fun time. Kayaking, sailing, volleyball, fitness (Josi, you ROCK!!), great food (bringing Buffet to a completely new level!), friendly and helpful GO's (organizers) - Fercho and Felipe at the bar were there for us everyday with a smile and a Spanish lesson!!! I couldn't have wanted or wished for a more enjoyable week. Flavia the Chef du village was incredible, such energy and she was totally there for us. Thank You!!!

Room Tip: Don't worry about the room, you probably won't be in there for long - enjoy the bars, the te...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Truly awful customer service. A 1 star is generous. This is my 8th visit to a Club Med and for sure my last. We had a room overlooking the Ixtapa public beach parking lot. We arrived at the resort at 1pm and were told we could get in rooms by 3 pm. At 11pm, we were still begging the front desk, maintenance and housekeeping to let us in our room. They shrugged their shoulders and said the lock must be broken. We missed a full day and night hassling with the room and the management, Flavia and staff, never even said sorry. Our bags were lost from 1pm until 7pm and again, not even a sorry. Pathetic service that came straight from the top management.
The tennis program was understaffed and poorly run. Very inefficient in setting up tournaments and drills.
I plan family vacations every year and will definitely avoid Club Meds and for sure the Ixtapa location. The money spent is absolutely better spent at a resort where management treated their customers nicely and didn't always blame "Headquarters".

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have been to many Club Meds over the years, but this is by far the most beautiful and well-run. We went for Spring Break with a 4 and a 6 year old, and I was shocked at how much the kids loved their "camp", which was incredibly well-organized--they had a different activity every hour on the hour from 9-5, with different night options as well (we didn't use these)--archery, swimming in a small, highly monitored kiddie pool, trampoline/trapeze, art, beach games, and other stuff for older and younger kids. I was particularly impressed by how they shaded the kids from the hot sun--putting up tents on the beach for a sand-castle contest, piñata, tie-dying, etc. They also re-applied sunscreen on my fair-skinned four year old at my direction. The adults had a blast as well---there is a beautiful, swimmable beach and the food was terrific. The circus and trapeze shows were really good and the rest were skippable. It was REALLY hot and humid, but there were no bugs. All in all, it was a fantastic week and we'll be coming back next year.

Room Tip: If you have kids, the Iguana rooms are the most basic but the closest to the kid's club. More d...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Ixtapa Pacific? Share your experiences!