“"Better than Disneyland"...Say what?!?!” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Club Med Ixtapa Pacific to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Club Med Ixtapa Pacific
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Quieta | Estado de Guerrero, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40 880, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 23 hotels in Ixtapa
San Francisco
“"Better than Disneyland"...Say what?!?!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Yes, this is what my 6 year old told me while we were vacationing this past week at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, that "This is better than Disneyland! There is so much more to do!"

This resort is perfect for a family vacation destination. My husband and I traveled with our three children, ages 6, 4, and 15 months and grandma and we were all pleasantly busy and relaxed the entire time. This was our first Club Med experience and we will definitely be returning. From the moment we arrived through customs and saw the GO holding the Club Med sign we were taken care of, our luggage was tagged with our room numbers, we were handed our keys and a water bottle and got onto a bus that was to take us to the resort. We arrived at the resort to an amazing greeting of GO's who were all clapping and singing for us as we got off the bus. Because they knew we were arriving with a baby they had a GO (the head of the baby center) waiting with a stroller for us. How awesome is that! We were given a brief tour and walked to our rooms where our luggage was waiting for us. This sort of hospitality stayed with us our entire 8 day stay. You get to know the GO's, beach boys, bartenders, serving staff, etc. so well that even though you are at a large resort you feel that you are part of a family. Sounds cheesy, but it's that kind of service that can make a vacation change from Very Good to Excellent!

- Traveling with a baby?
Club Med has a special welcome baby package where they provide you with a pack-n-play, bedding, stroller, bottle warmer, changing pad, not to mention a bottle room with milk available 24 hours a day. Not having to fly with the stroller was fantastic as I just put the baby in my Ergo while going through the airport. Check with the resort in advance to see if you will be arriving and traveling to the resort with a large group (therefore you will arrive by bus). If this is the case, then traveling with a carseat as well may not be necessary. This Club Med, offers a baby program in which they will watch your baby from about 9 am to 5:30 p.m. for $90/day. Because kids under the age of 4 are free it makes sense for them to charge for this program. They provide many activities for the babies including playing indoors with their soft play toys and gym, their outdoor playground, and outdoor covered baby pool, and down at the beach in a shady spot.

- What to Pack?
Each night there is a theme of what to where. Not everyone participates, but I do believe that is partly because of not knowing in advance what the themes are. We happened to have some of the attire and when we did, we participated and it was fun! If Club Med could send an email out a week ahead with the themes then I do believe more guests would participate. Some of the themes when I was there was Jeans white shirt and a hat, pink and white, cappuccino, elegant, 45 Shirt, black and white. I would also pack three swim suits for each person. Because a lot of the rooms do have a balcony you are line drying your suits in the bathroom which make them hard to dry fully in a short amount of time. I overpacked for myself in that I was mostly in a swim suit and coverup for much of the day and then in my "themed" clothes for the evening. But for the kids, I would say I under packed. If they are participating in mini club, they will need a shirt and shorts for each day, with a backup in their backpack (pack them a bag to bring to mini club), and then their nighttime attire. Because you are so soaked with sun screen it's hard to get two days wear out of clothes.

- The food and restaurants
So amazing! So pleasantly surprised. The food was just unbelievable. So much to choose from at the buffet and you wouldn't think that a buffet could be so gourmet, along with food cooked and prepared to your liking. Must try the oatmeal. Seriously, if it wasn't for having a 15 month old, I don't think I would have tasted this amazing bowl of heaven but seriously, the best oatmeal I have ever eaten. It became a favorite in our family. Pepe, an assistant restaurant manager was always there to greet us with a smile, get us set up in our spot and make us feel welcome. I really do mean the welcome party because as I said, they make you feel like you are part of a family. By the way, if you see a GO around, invite them to eat with you, this is customary in the Club Med lifestyle. There is also themed food nights. The Mexican night was undoubtedly amazing and so was the Asian Fusion night where I had hand rolled crab and tuna rolls as well as peking duck! Also, take the opportunity to make reservations and the Miramar and the Luna Azul restaurants. Their menu is delicious and it provides you the opportunity for something a little different. Not to mention the views are stunning and the staff is delightful. Speaking of the staff, the staff that bring you your drinks or straws or high chairs, and help to clear your plates were just so delightful, kind and always had a smile on their face. Again...feels like a family. Oh, and the main chef, he said hi to my son just about everyday as he walked through the restaurant checking on the food. My son loved it! And by the way, no need to run back in case something runs out...it never does...it's like magic!

- The Bees
If I have one complaint it is maybe the bees. They love the fruity drinks that the bar serves (oh and LOVE that they have cute drinks for the kids like Hello Kitty and Spiderman, etc.) The bees were everywhere and if you had a cabana by the trash cans you were undoubtedly swarmed by bees. I can't complain too much though because no matter where you are in the world, if you have something sweet the bees will come, but I do feel bad for the bartenders and beach boys of which get stung at least once a day. I wonder if some bee things could be hung to keep them at bay? But again, bees will be anywhere, can't really blame the resort for this.

- Water Sports
The team down at the sailing area is awesome! Britney especially was always fun to chat with and shared so much knowledge with us about sailing (we took a lesson with her) at this club med. Because this was our first club med experience we had many questions about this club med of which she shared a wealth of knowledge as well as other destinations when we were curious about trying out another Club Med spot in the future. She literally only needed to ask us our name once and then remembered it for the rest of our trip. We thoroughly enjoyed kayaking daily and sailing the two times that we did.

- The Rooms
If you have a family, and are in need of rooms near each other then call the resort in advance and ask for this request. Call more than a week before your arrival as the planing department is very on this and plan out your rooms a week before your arrival from what I understand. If you have little ones and would like to participate in the Mini Clubs I would highly recommend asking to be in the Iguana building. Mini Club is right behind this building and it makes drop off, and pick up, or running back to the room for the hat that you forgot to put in their backpack very simple. As for the rooms itself, awesome if you have kids as you have your own room for the adults with a king size bed, and the kids have their own room with two twin beds and their own TV. The mattresses were a bit hard but I have to say that I slept well each and every night. In addition, they seemed very sound proofed.

- Mini Clubs
These are fantastic...seriously amazing. Not only are ALL the GO's that work with your children amazing, and I wish I remembered all their names (Alberto in the Iguanas and Fer (Fernanda) in the Gecko's you were great!) but they really seem like they love their job. The head of Mini Clubs (blanking on her name) was very helpful, kind, and patient. She is very confident of her team and provides a great program and direction for the children. My kids had so much fun, more fun then they would with us all day. They were able to do the trapeze, go sailing and kayaking, cooking class, swim in their own pool, and participate in a different "party" with the parents each day at 4:30. Some of the parties included a slip-n-slide, a piñata, and a pool party. We tried to mix it up a bit and had the kids go for a couple days and then have a beach day with us and then a couple days and a beach day, etc. These clubs though allow parents to truly have a vacation themselves in that you can go to the spa, or do aqua fitness, or kayak while your kids are having a blast themselves! Pack them a backpack of some sort though to hold an extra pair of clothes, swimming gear, hat and sunscreen. The only complaint my son had about the club was the amount of time he had to wait for everyone to change in and out of swim suits. I understand this can take time, especially when little ones are trying to dress themselves, but maybe one GO can take an early group of dressers to the next destination while the other GO hangs back with the crew that needs a bit more time? The other thing to note is that if the kids want to do trapeze, which is one of the first things in the morning, then they are not to have sunscreen on their bodies as they can slip. The GO's though, will lather them up at the next activity.

- Evening Activities
If you have kids participating in the mini club then you are going to want to be available many nights of the week to watch them participate in some of the shows that begin at 8:15. Wednesday night is a big night for you to be there. I mention this because we had scheduled a sunset cruise for Wednesday evening but when we heard of this performance we were luckily able to switch it to another night so the kids could participate. If you ask the head GO of the mini club what evenings are important for you to be at she will let you know in advance. In addition, there are fantastic shows that the GO's put on from 9:00 on that are worth your while. Let the kids stay up late and enjoy or check them into the pajama club. The Michael Jackson show was great as well as the Mexican Folklore.

- Baby Club
We participated one day in the baby club and honestly would have done it more but our daughter was not feeling well and we did not want to infect the other babies. The staff at the baby club were very loving and kind and we felt very comfortable leaving our baby with them for the day.

- Managerial Positions
Although we are aware that there are managers in charge of others I never got the feeling that anyone was superior over the other and this was so pleasant to see. It's hard to explain, but I truly feel that the people that work must love their jobs so much that there is no need for a "top down" atmosphere, which I as a guest appreciated and definitely noticed. And finally I would like to note my surprise and astonishment when I saw the Chief of the Resort, Flavia Bove walking around, and checking in with all the guests and staff each day, all day long, from morning until night. Again...I cannot express how much she has provided her guests with a family atmosphere. I think I must have said hello to her multiple times each day of my 8 day stay...and this is a large resort! She loves her job and it shines through.

- The Spa
All I can say is that I probably had the best deep-tissue massage that I have ever had by Crisol. The door was open so I could hear the waves crashing on the beach and it was amazing! Don't forget cash though...I wanted to leave her a bigger tip and the desk did not have change so I was not about to leave her more and she so deserved it.

- Everything is taken care of for you
I cannot even describe how much the little things that Club Med does for you that make such a big difference! Like leaving the note on your bed the day before your departure with information on what time you need to leave your bags out front (because they will take care of brining them up for you) what time you need to check out and what time you need to catch the bus and leave the resort. Seriously, that little bit of information that they take care of for you is hugely time saving and stress reducing! And when you are leaving paradise you want your stress level to remain low. And finally, when we left, I literally got tears in my eyes as the GO's, our new extended family, clapped, waved and sang in a line as we boarded the bus, but not before Flavia gave us a hug goodbye. Seriously, sounds so cheesy but man, EVERYONE loved it! Even the big, tough guys. I mean, who doesn't want to feel appreciated, loved and cared for on a vacation?!?!

Thank you to Flavia, all the GO's as well as staff at CLUB MED IXTAPA PACIFIC. It was truly, hands down, the BEST family vacation we have ever been on. We will definitely be vacationing at Club Med in the future. I only wish we could come more often!

Room Tip: If you have a family ask to stay in the Iguana building as it is closest to the mini club.

1,651 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Redwood City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We all (14 of us, 8 adults and 4 kids) stayed at Ixtapa club med last week and it was the most enjoyable time for the whole family. The girl in charge of Archery, Claret was wonderful. She was helpful and enjoyable to be around. The whole staff were helpful, fun and friendly. The food was wonderful and the rooms were clean with the perfect view of the Ocean. I just wished the windows were full length to get a better view of the beautiful beach. The lady in charge (was called chef de village), Flavia and her husband Murad were absolute pleasure and did a great job to get the parties started every night. Also have to mention Pascual who was one of the management who made sure all our needs were met. Thank you all for a unforgettable vacation.

Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Loves: beautiful grounds, private beach, nice pools, lots of great activities, mini Club (childcare program--truly AWESOME. Our son loved going 'to camp with his friends'), friendly & helpful staff, good cocktails, amazing sunsets
Likes: food (got a little repetitive), room (the only downside to the room was the mattress/bed), spa, evening entertainment
What I wish were different: would be nicer to have more transportation options to the nearby villages
We will DEFINITELY go back!!!

Room Tip: There is a nice suite for families that has two separate bedrooms with Jack & Jill bathroom. It...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Fourteen (14) family members, spending eight (8) days, at a tropical paradise that was perfected by the interaction of staff whom made the trip more than a vacation, they made it an experience. The General Manager, Flavia, and numerous staff (Pascual, Pepe, Renee, Claret, Brenda, and Pedro) made us feel like we were part of a giant family reunion. Flavia displayed the strength of a President, the compassion of a Friend, and the commitment to her guests, staff, and vendors, that garnered her True respect. Respect is earned and through her honorable treatment of others has continues to become enriched beyond mogul status. Her husband, Mourad, was a true compliment to her. He led the entertainment, and brought everyone together for Great Fun! He was a grown up Ferris Bueller as he truly lead a great parade.

The Club Med experience involves everyone. We came together for a purpose; experiencing the most of our vacation. As guests we all found time to dance and celebrate together. The staff prepared wonderful shows, where the set designer made magic with the available materials, time, and manpower he possessed. The costume designer, Brenda, dazzled us with the art of her hands as she clothed the performers in stunning costumes that were too designed, hand sewed, and made with limited time, resources, and manpower. Brenda, amidst practicing for the shows, making costumes, and assisting with other duties, found time to hang out with us and make us feel as though we traveled to see friends and family. Again, it was a truly wonderful experience in every facet.

Pascual was a true lady and friend. She sought us out to insure our happiness and see that our needs were met, visited with us (amidst her extremely busy schedule), danced with us, and shared her life with us. She was a genuine individual who sought and shared sincerity. It was an honor to meet her and share our time (life) with her as she did with us. Amidst all the many areas of the hotel that she oversaw, she sat with us as though we were all that was important to her. To have such an ability is truly characteristic of a leader. Club Med is fortunate for her presence.

Pepe was there to see that we were well entertained. He always had a smile and greeted us as though we were long time friends who had not seen each other in years. We did not feel like visitors, we truly felt like family. The level of genuine happiness and concern for our comfort and entertainment was, again, truly genuine. We encountered those who were not happy there, and the energy of their presence was received as two opposing ends of a magnet. Pepe had a truly natural happiness and caring personality that was conveyed to all and could only bring a smile to any guest whom he encountered. He went out of his way to facilitate our needs by reorganizing schedules and conferring with restaurant staff and supplies, to allow us the opportunity to dine at one of the restaurants that had limited seating. His ability to organize and engage with his staff and reach an accord that fulfilled our happiness was his goal, and he did it with expert precision.

Many of our family members were able to participate in Archery while there. This gave us the opportunity to meet Claret. She was Amazing! Funny, helpful, a great instructor, and with a wonderful zeal that encouraged all in attendance. She too was busy with many other duties aside from archery, yet no matter where she was, she exuded the same enthusiasm to to point that it was contagious! She too danced with us and performed at the shows that all the performers, again, aside from their duties, practiced for and performed. She was a kind and supportive instructor who encouraged the young and the old to participate and taught them to succeed. I watched as my son, nieces, and nephews all grew from her efforts.

Pedro was very professional in the service rendered to us as we dined at Miramar and other restaurants at the facility. He had a sixth sense of knowing what we needed and at times we did not have to ask for he simply showed up with what we needed. This level of professionalism is rare.

Renee made sure that we were always tended to and no matter where we were, beach, poolside, theatre, stage, or at the bar, he was there to inquire of our needs. Always with a smile and a zeal for seeing that we were catered, brought him epic joy and gave us the feeling of royalty. At a champagne fountain, of glasses, I arrived late and went to seek a couple of glasses, one for me and one for my father in law, Renee saw that I did not find any, thus he went and grabbed two glasses, tracked me down and gave them to me! Again, insuring our happiness and fulfilling his.

The mindset of these and many others was to provide all guests with the BEST Experience possible. They truly succeeded in this. The experience was memorable. The best vacation I have been a part of. The scenery was inspiring for writers, perfect for lovers, encouraged the fit, prompted meditation, and combined peace, tranquility, life, and living, all through the colorful beauty that surrounded you.

You can choose anyplace in the world for a vacation. If you want an experience, Club Med Ixtapa, is your only choice.

Room Tip: Secure a bottom floor for those who are disabled or elderly as the walk to facilities was a bit of a...
Bossier City, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This was our 3rd trip to ClubMed Ixtapa and we love it more each time. It had been 3 years since our last visit. We were excited that Flavia was back as Chief of Village. We love her. I just can't think of a more perfect vacation for our family. Javier and Hugo from the tennis facility are outstanding. I would really recommend to ClubMed that they try to have an assistant (like Hugo) on staff at all times. It makes it great for the guests to have some playing partners. Josie was also wonderful. My wife really enjoyed her fitness classes. But really everyone is so friendly. Antonio (beach boy) went above and beyond and provides great service.

Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This was our 8th Club Med vacation in a row and our 4th time to Ixtapa. We traveled with 2 other families of 4 and the village was able to give us rooms next to each other. The size of the village suits us, and the non-stop sports options are what my son and husband love the most. The circus team was outstanding and both of my kids were in the trapeze show. It was my daughter's first time doing the "catch" after 7 years of trapeze... she is 11 now - minimum age for the catch. Thank you to Ashley for really working with our kids to make them better performers.

Another highlight that stood out this year were the fitness classes. In years past there has been a lot of repetition in the daily classes, but this year Josi, the amazing fitness instructor, had different and challenging classes every day. We especially loved the cross training class because each day she set up different stations and all the exercises were of the same quality you would find in a class at an American gym. In past years, the classes have not only been repetitive, but sometimes not all that challenging. For the amount of amazing food that I eat at Club Med, I needed a good, challenging workout. Thank you Josi!! Josi also was able to show how to modify workouts for those guests who weren't quite as in shape. She is just wonderful and definitely the best fitness instructor we've ever had at any club med village.

And, I can't say enough about the lovely Mexican women who work the Mexican food station in the dining room every day. I ate authentic mexican every day and could not get enough of it.

My son loves sports, and he was all about the huge soccer field right next to the ocean. He and my husband played soccer there each afternoon, and we played american flag football on July 4th. I only wished that there were more days with american football games on the schedule. Both my son and daughter missed the rock wall, which I think was damaged by a recent earthquake.

Also, as I say each time we go to Ixtapa Club Med, their store doesn't have enough variety of Club Med clothing. There was an extremely limited selection of women's 45 tank shirts, and there were no collared sport Club Med shirts in that wicking material. You can get them at Cancun Club Med, but not Ixtapa. They had plenty of regular 45 shirts for kids and men (wicking and regular cotton).

The Chief of Village, Flavia, and her husband, were very visible and spoke with us numerous times during the course of the week, which was really really great. I've been to villages when I've never seen the Chief of Village. It does make a difference that Ixtapa is smaller than other clubs I've visited, but you could tell that Flavia made an extra effort to connect with the guests.

I also have to give a shout out to Brit. She is the sailing GO and she is wonderful too. We ate with Brit at a lot of meals and she is super outgoing and fun. We first met Brit last summer in Cancun, and she recognized us immediately when we got to Ixtapa which was a great way to start off our vacation.

Also Saul at the bar also remembered us from two years prior and he remembered our drink orders the first night. After the first night, he would just bring us our drinks with just a nod of the head and a hello. Now that's a good bartender. He always has a smile on his face and the service was excellent.

The evening shows were not as good as in years past, but they were still enjoyable nonetheless.

All in all, it was a fantastic week. Thank you to Ashley, Brit, Josi, Saul, and all of the GO team who made our vacation special.

Rolling Hills Estates, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We just got back from a lovely week with our 4 kids age (4,6,8,10). I would love to say they loved the kids club, my girls 8 &10 tried it one day and decided it was not for them, but the staff in the kids club is just truly wonderful. The younger 2 liked to hang with us at the pool which was great. We also enjoyed the ocean with the entire family, we rented jet skis one day and also took a boat across to the island. We walked to where the small boats that are at the far end and got them to take us across for $8.00 a person, he started at $10, he was just so nice, we ended up tipping him too. The island was locals so it was fun to check out an see, there was good snorkeling too, we brought some bread from the hotel and the fist were jumping out of the water, they were really pretty too. Another great side trip was a amazing surf spot, my husband arranged a cab driver to take us there it is a 30min or so drive, they rent boards there and it is one of my husbands favorite surf spots ever (he is an aussie and loves his surf). The resort is super safe and felt comfy letting the older kids roam a bit on their own. The food was great, my favorite was the salads they make fresh everyday at lunch, it was sooooo good, fresh veggies avocado and then I would use olive oil and lime juice for the dressing, it was just so fresh and good. The fresh baked bread is also such a treat, my kids and I devoured it! They also loved getting icecream after each meal. They really take such great care of you and every person who works there genuinely makes and effort to help in anyway they can. The rooms were cool and clean, nothing fancy but they did the trick. Overall it was a wonderful family vacay, we are so happy we gave Club Med a try.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Ixtapa Pacific? Share your experiences!