“Great Family Vacation!” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added Club Med Ixtapa Pacific to your Saves list
Club Med Ixtapa Pacific
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Quieta | Estado de Guerrero, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40 880, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
LA
“Great Family Vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our family of five just returned home from Ixtapa and wanted to share how impressed we were with the Club Med Ixtapa property and staff. We have an 8, 6, and 1 year old and were traveling with our cousins (4 and 6) and parents. I hadn't been to Club Med in a long time and was a bit skeptical. All 3 generations had a blast!

It's not the Four Seasons but overall I was more than pleased with the quality. The resort was only half full and I think it would have been different for me at capacity...

We stayed in the Sol building and walked directly out to our "private beach". A portion is roped off and guarded for Club Med guests but the rest of the beach was public. The rooms were spacious and well-appointed. Free computer with wireless, private concierge with all day drinks and snacks for our building, which we utilized everyday.

We pre-ordered the Baby package and the pack n play had a comfy mattress, sheets, blanket and pillow for our baby, as well as a changing pad and bottle warmer in the room. They also gave us a stroller with our son's name on it. Super cute and we needed the stroller as the property is HUGE!! We got a workout pushing him up the hills too.

The baby went to Baby Club where Osher and her staff were the best. The baby had a tough time separating and they made me feel at ease and handled him beautifully. Because it wasn't busy, he was able to have individualized attention and really be on his own nap and meal schedule, though I imagine when at capacity it is more structured.

Our older kids both did the mini club but were in and out through the day depending on the activities they wanted to do. Trapeze, rock climbing, Sailing and Archery were the favorites! All the evening activities were fantastic too. The magician was a big hit, as was the kids show. Might want to bring a few "white" items for the tie-dye party so you don't have to buy from the gift shop.

The food was surprisingly good and we loved the "make your own" stations, such as salad bar, pasta bar and omelette stations where chefs prepared the dishes to our specifications rather than being on the buffet. The bread was another huge highlight--we bought two loaves to take home. Desserts were disappointing but that was probably for the best!

The only negatives were truly out of the hotel's control--the humidity was insane. the second you walked out of the room, you dripped with sweat. I wore a braid the whole time and never blow dried my hair. Also, there were tons of bees and mosquitos--they give you bug spray in the room but between the heat and the bugs, we couldn't eat our meals on the outdoor patio of the dining hall. Next time, I'd go over the winter when the humidity is supposed to be lower--though not sure about the bugs!

We did utilize the spa which was just OK. Ana did our massages and was good but they don't do any "real" facials with extractions, just fluff stuff and I was in and out for my treatment--it wasn't the type of spa that you wanted to hang out and spend the day.

Lastly, a shout out to the great Ixtapa staff who, after a week at the property, I was truly sad to say goodbye to. Mehdi and Amira run a great resort and some of their stellar GO's included Liz, Wanny, Felipe, Dora, Hannah, Patrick and Christian!! Thanks all for making our vacation so special!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Fremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We just came back from a week at the Club Med Ixtapa. It was a true vacation since the parents can have some down time while the kids are taken care of in the Mini Club. My 4 year old boy can be quite hard to handle, so it's amazing that they can actually keep him and after the first rough day, said that they will bring in more staff in his age group the next few days to make sure he has a GO to himself. Wow!! And the petit club for 2 and 3 year olds were able to nap my 2 year old son, no problem! They had different activities for them every hour so they're not confined in the room. They played at the beach building sandcastles with lifeguards close by, swam in the kids pool, made pizzas, had scavanger hunts, some 5 year olds were braving the trapeze!! By the last day, both kids didn't want to go home!
The buffets were really good and I think healthier than the ones in the US. With more variety of sauteed or grilled vegetables, sauteed fish every meal amongst other staples like gourmet pizzas, burgers and different mexican foods every day. Also different meats were served everyday. We ate so much but we both lost weight since we had time to exercise a few times a day since the kids were taken care of. The husband swam and kayaked and lost 5 lbs, and I did aquagym, zumba, salsa, and toning classes in the open air palada facing the ocean. We exercised so we could eat more! During the meals the GO's from different department came and asked if they could eat with you. You meet with people from other parts of the world and we enjoyed all of the staff, particularly Augustine at the Mini Club. He was a delight and felt like family after a week!
I also had a massage and it's the first time anywhere that the massage went over by 10 minutes! And tips were included in the price!

We will sure be back to Club Med if not to Ixtapa!

Tip: If you need to arrange airport pick up within 48 hours of arrival and The ClubMed 800 number tell you they cannot arrange it, tell them to email the resort or to call the resort, they will be happy to pick up you!

Dublin, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

This is our first trip to a Club Med. We chose this location because it was in the Pacific and it received excellent reviews. Our party had two families, four adults and five kids under the age of eight. We vacationed from Saturday to Saturday. First, I must congratulate and applaud the Chief, Medhi, and say what a FABULOUS job he did in making everyone feel comfortable and excited to be there. He walked around with his staff throughout the day to make sure guests were having the time of their lives. They frequently stop and chat with families at the beach, pool, dining areas...basically everywhere to make sure everyone is well taken care of. They even pushed around an ice cream cart and brought ice cream to us when we layed out by the beach. You can't get any more personal than that! Our last night there, there were fireworks and a fire ring display of Ixtapa 2013! I heard from one of the GOs that this is the first time she's ever seen this happened at all the Club Med's she's been at. She said it was all because of the chief!!!! :0)

Not only is Chief Medhi exceptional, the staff there is truly phenomenal! My husband and I were amazed throughout the trip at the amount of upbeat energy and attitude the GOs have. I don't know where they pull their energy from but they had great attitudes from sunrise to sundown! The GOs were all multi-talented. There were so many activities, classes, events, shows and performances they were involved in throughout the day. My husband is not someone who likes to lay out in the sun but he had a blast doing activities throughout the day from tennis lessons to ping pong to trapeze and basketball at night. They kept him well entertained while some of us swam and layed out by the beach. Everyone in the family had something to do at all times! I must give a few personal shout outs to Rodrigo(s), Nadia, Agustin and Julie Painchaud. They were in charge of the 6-7 year old Iguanas Kids Club at the time we went and they were phenomenal. My kids usually have separation anxiety but they were so happy to be in kids club everyday! They built personal relationships with the GOs and looked for them, especially Rodrigo(s) and Nadia, everywhere they went! I have never seen my kids this excited to see an adult! :)

The reason I gave a four instead of five stars was due to a few mishaps we encountered. First, I was not too happy with the Iguana room we got when we arrived. It was a bit run down especially for the money we paid so I didn't feel like I got my money's worth for the room. I have paid half of the money and stayed at a five star resort at Puerta Vallarta so our party was pretty disappointed with our rooms. Not only that, there were tiny ants in our rooms that we noticed after day two and three. I DESPISE ants but was willing to let it go and just go with the flow. However, my kids got sick and had multiple projectile vomitings in one day and threw up all over the bed. The next morning, I saw tiny ants crawling on one of my kids' throw up. Needless to say, I immediately requested a room change. The staff, being so awesome as they were, immediately changed our room to a room in Muneca. The second room we received was much nicer and had no ants! However, there were bats hanging near the stairwells every night and during the day sometimes. I know bats don't hurt humans but one of them did flew right over my sister-in-law's head during a walk back to her room....scary!

The second thing I wanted to mention was that not only did five out of eight people threw up in our party, I saw and heard multiple people throwing up throughout our stay. We were out for two days laying in the room because we were so sick. I don't know if it was a bug going around, or from eating or drinking, but we reported it to the head nurse and he was nice and tried to help find the cause of our illness. I don't know what the cause was so I don't want to blame the facility. But I definitely think it is important to make sure the Chief enforces strict hand-washing policy especially for the chefs because someone saw a person working in the kitchen coming out of the bathroom with unwashed hands.

Other than these few mishaps, we still had an awesome time. We have been back home for over a week and the kids are still singing "Titanium" and doing the dance moves. My husband who is quiet and doesn't like to dance is even downloading the song so they can all sing and dance together. The staff was awesome in encouraging everyone to participate in their dance routines. I love it! I hope to go back again if they upgrade the rooms. If not, Medhi, if you ever travel to another Club Med, please let me know! :)

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade in Muneca. You can avoid ocean front because unless you are sick, you won't b...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are in good conditions and confortable, well designed and furnished. The food buffets are not at the standard of Club Med - limited choices, average quality. The quality of the GOs varies from very bad (the lazy Patrick at the trapeze) to average (not dynamic GOs at tennis) to very good (Fabien at the animation or Tom Tom at the mini Club or Cynthia at the reception). Good presence of the Chef du Village and the Chef des Sports.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
western australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Spent 8 nights here after Chicago and before San Francisco in December 2012, Australian couple on a USA trip for a conference, some family time and some Club Med time. We've had the wonderful fortune to experience CM in Bali, Phuket, Cancun and now Ixtapa. Cannot believe that I hadn't submitted this review, I had blogged it as part of the larger trip, the blog has photos if you are interested.

So, Club Med....
Arranged all of our own flights as part of a complicated multi leg trip, caught the shuttle bus from the airport.

Food Summary

Breakfasts- I am sooo boring, I eat toast and a cup of tea for pretty much the whole week. Lash out and have an egg or bacon once or twice. Geoff sticks to the Mexican breaky. I am happy to walk right past the jello cubes.

Lunch - I am sooo boring here too. I pretty much like a roll (sandwich) with salad. Splash out every day though with ice-cream, usually with caramel sauce and sprinkly bits of sugared nuts. Geoff does the Mexican thing.

Dinner - This is where CM excels. One night I had the most amazing hot sushi with salmon and cream cheese - seriously amazing. The theme nights were Italian, Mexican, Caribbean, Asian, Beach Party, etc. The thing they do best I think is the Mexican- we don't get much exposure (yet) to non-American/Australian style Mexican. The beach party food was lovely- amazing fish and lobster. They did good cheeses- particularly the goats cheese in ash. Poorest was the Asian stuff but then I think we get great Asian food here in Perth so it would be hard to compete.

Coffee and the Bar- good coffee- any time - and with a dark chocolate! The wine was dodgy but the rose ok with ice. We did discover they had a sparkling white on the fourth day and from then on I was very happy- it was a really nice dry BBQ quality kind of sparkly - actually better than that. Anyway, 2 glasses a night hit the spot. Had a couple of cocktails up until that discovery- i thought they were good but I'm not much of a cocktail connoisseur.

Room

We got cheapest available and were very, very happy. It was in the closest wing to the main section of the resort on the 1st floor. Room was huge, clean and had a view of the ocean- I thought they might have upgraded us but it was the right room. When we go back I am going to ask for this room again! Basically, there was a huge bathroom with shower, loo and sink and lots of shelving. Toiletries supplied and lots of towels. Very nice sheets, comfy bed (firm), TV, vanity, couch and coffee table and decent lighting. Awesome aircon.

Activities

Geoff played tennis twice a day, he had a lot of time with the pro and was really pleased. He said the racquets were pretty crap so take your own if you feel the need. I even had a hit (unbelievably) and thought my racquet was fine (but then I am not a player). I did yogalates, power walking, zumba, strength, core, water aerobics, the climbing wall, archery, kayaking, bike riding, swimming and trapeze. I could hardly move by the end of every single day but i enjoyed it sooooo much. The instructors were all great, friendly and nice people; they are a credit to the resort. On the second power walking day I walked down to the crocodile area near the beach with one of the instructors and a girl from Colorado and walked through the national park, this proved to be a great activity as it opened up things to do away from CM (not that we really wanted to leave the place but we did want to do some nature stuff).

The Aszlan Parque is a brilliant public space containing about 10km of bike/walk track through the jungle/forest. It is completely free, mostly shaded, completely flat and contains a phenomenal array of plant, insect and bird species. We saw the most incredible blue bird in there as well as a lot of water birds- kingfishers, egrets, herons, etc. We went back 3 times- a bit of a highlight of the trip. Mosquitos were prevalent in there, though interestingly they were inconsistent- heavy in some places, none in others. Even with RID we got quite a few bites. The crocodile area is also very interesting- there were about 19 of them, some huge. Also lots of birds and iguanas. The iguanas are fascinating to watch. Around this area are markets if you want to buy souvenirs and the ferry to Ixtapa Island leaves from here. Had a good long walk around here and down to the RV park - that is an interesting spot too, if you are a birdwatcher... or a surfer... or both (nah, prob not both).

Other Cool Things

The beach- beautiful outlook. Nice for walking- firm sand and some rocks to climb around. Lots of frigate birds, pelicans and cormorants soaring overhead.

The WHALE!!!! So lucky. We watched a whale out in the bay for about 20 mins- very cool.

The sunsets- amazing, who can not love a sunset?

Met some very nice, diverse people. Meeting people really rounds out a trip for me. One was a lady who owns/ runs a teahouse in Canada,

2 gals from LA who I'd love to see again (Marla and Betty), an Indi car racing French guy and his wife, the English family living in Seattle, etc, etc

So, after 8 nights it was time to leave. Could have easily had another couple of nights. It was really great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This resort was just not for me. I went in May and it was a way too crowded with families. This is a very active resort and not a good place for R and R. I am also handicap and while ambulatory, the hilly nature of the resort made it challenging to get around. The food here was substandard, but to be fair I am really not a foodie.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Wow, where do you start? A vacation that allowed all the family to have their own unique and personal. What other vacation can you go on and possibly lose weight? How many vacations have you gone on and did not want to leave the property? WHere can you go where you never have to take your wallet anywhere or worry about the price of something? Club Med Ixtapa lives up to all the billing and then some. I would have suggested some sour moods some where or some serious slacking from what appears to be a perpetually happy staff.

GO's are the people who take care of your children and help to keep things active. There energy level is infectious as is the general manager's who was constantly around making sure you were enjoying your stay. The rooms were always kept clean. These GO's work from 8 to 12 midnight. I witnessed a GO having to handle a spoiled 8 year old who was kicking and screaming. ALexis was beyond patient and caring even though he got kicked and scratched while trying to calm the boy. THe GO's know each of the kids names and help the kids to get the most out of the club. THere are clubs for each group of kids up to 17. THe GO's were able to handle each group in an age appropriate manner.

I thought the rooms were a little better than than the Club Med Cancun rooms. We did not find any sand in our rooms and the kids loved the folding of the towels into different character's. It is a "green" environment so somewhat minimalist, but we are not in the room much. TV get's a couple of channels. One is an English speaking channel with movies, so it was good to wind down before taking on the night and watch a movie. The tile shower can be slippery and the water can get through the door. Bed's are very firm. Make sure to get a room with some view of the Ocean, close to the water. There is one set of rooms beside the tennis court that seemed far away.

You can eat somewhere anytime of day, You can be a glutton or eat extremely healthy. They have the same breakfast's, but there is so much to choose from. The lunches have different themes, but there are always consistent "go to" foods. You will always get people asking if you are OK. Armen (I believe) is one of the gentleman in charge of breakfast and lunch. He is very calming and a good person to know. Dinner is a different theme each nigh, but again, the staples of pasta, burgers, fruit, salad, fish and some kind of meat are always there. They have a color theme every night to, so bring something white, black, blue and they have an elegant evening (not too elegant, like TOmmy Bahama and nice shorts). THe last night they had faux grois and duck. I'm not a big fan of ether, but that is a $50 meal, at least, each for something like that. They have many breads (it is French), deserts, ice cream. They have a beer tap and I'm sure you can get someone to flag a cocktail for you if you would like.

Check the schedule each day. They have many things that are constant, but sometimes they throw in a little cooking class or flag football or sailing regatta. The pool was fine, we never were without a comfortable pool chair. The water was very warm. The bar is right there. They give you pool keys (yellow) when you get there to exchange for towels. I think we ended up with 9 pool towel keys by the end. The ocean water has an island and other rocks breaking any significant surf and the sand bar goes out about 60 to 70 yards. The water is great all times of the day and night, I don't think it fluctuated more than a few degrees at any time. It isn't powdery sand, but it is very comfortable. There is lot of shade provided and, if you are there early, you can ask a person to put an umbrella in right next to you. I have been to many non inclusive resorts where the beach boy gets tipped for his/her service. I would have expected a club where everything is paid ahead of time would not care about timely service. Yet, Antonio was more than attentive and much faster than servers who have been at more posh clubs.

Activities. What can't you do? You want to do yoga, Sabrina will do Yoga than turn around and do Zumba. Thwy have a cross fit at 4 that is tough, but only 30 minutes. You will get a workout in. You can run the beach, THings really don't get going on the beach until 11 so you can get a lot of quite time there in the morning (run, yoga, tai chi). The beach is may be a mile long so you have to run back and forth, but the sand is very comfortable. You can do beach volleyball, soccer (very competitive game at 5), sailing (probably could give better tips to people who might want to sail), ocean kayak. The circus people are really good and wantt o help. I didn't play tennis, but they have lessons in the morning that I heard were great. I heard the pro is good, but you probably do not want to play between 12 and 4. They have a basketball court, that I din't see get used much, but they had pick up games scheduled. Ping Pong is popular too.

OK, I'm getting into too much detail. So, outside activity's, Kind of wish I took a bike to town. We did the dolphin experience, expensive, somewhat contrived, but unforgettable! They do a nice job and everyone had a great experience with the dolphins. Went sail fishing with another group outsde of club med and went to the island and snorkeled. Snorkling was not as good as Cancun on the island, but still a neat experience. The sail fishing was OK, Club med is catch and release, others are not. Also, get the food on the island. The exchange rate is a bit "unregulated" on the island, so make sure you check the prices. THere are other events, but we were more than happy to stay on the grounds.

Internet was really only accesible in the lobby area for a fee (about $60 for a week). Yet, when you think about it,this is your vacation. Stop the texting, limit your internet time and enjoy.

Massages and facials are done and I heard they were very good. You can get a massage right on the beach.

I guess the best measurement is how tough it is for the kids to leave. So, when your 17 year old and 13 year old take 3 days to get over the trip it has to be successful. So, have a great and unique vacation experience for everyone in the family and do this thing!

Footnote. We are in the southwest and Ixtapa is located below Houston. We took a charter flight from LA to Ixtapa (going backwards). It was good to get to see some of the people who would be at the club and even better for the kids to have a few more hours with their friends. I do find it surprising that there were no Texans there or any charter flights from Houston. Anyway, these people work hard to ensure that you have the best vacation!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Ixtapa Pacific? Share your experiences!