“Amazing time (delayed report)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Ixtapa Pacific

You added Club Med Ixtapa Pacific to your Saves list
Club Med Ixtapa Pacific
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Quieta | Estado de Guerrero, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40 880, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Escape Sale up to 40% Off
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
western australia
“Amazing time (delayed report)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Spent 8 nights here after Chicago and before San Francisco in December 2012, Australian couple on a USA trip for a conference, some family time and some Club Med time. We've had the wonderful fortune to experience CM in Bali, Phuket, Cancun and now Ixtapa. Cannot believe that I hadn't submitted this review, I had blogged it as part of the larger trip, the blog has photos if you are interested.

So, Club Med....
Arranged all of our own flights as part of a complicated multi leg trip, caught the shuttle bus from the airport.

Food Summary

Breakfasts- I am sooo boring, I eat toast and a cup of tea for pretty much the whole week. Lash out and have an egg or bacon once or twice. Geoff sticks to the Mexican breaky. I am happy to walk right past the jello cubes.

Lunch - I am sooo boring here too. I pretty much like a roll (sandwich) with salad. Splash out every day though with ice-cream, usually with caramel sauce and sprinkly bits of sugared nuts. Geoff does the Mexican thing.

Dinner - This is where CM excels. One night I had the most amazing hot sushi with salmon and cream cheese - seriously amazing. The theme nights were Italian, Mexican, Caribbean, Asian, Beach Party, etc. The thing they do best I think is the Mexican- we don't get much exposure (yet) to non-American/Australian style Mexican. The beach party food was lovely- amazing fish and lobster. They did good cheeses- particularly the goats cheese in ash. Poorest was the Asian stuff but then I think we get great Asian food here in Perth so it would be hard to compete.

Coffee and the Bar- good coffee- any time - and with a dark chocolate! The wine was dodgy but the rose ok with ice. We did discover they had a sparkling white on the fourth day and from then on I was very happy- it was a really nice dry BBQ quality kind of sparkly - actually better than that. Anyway, 2 glasses a night hit the spot. Had a couple of cocktails up until that discovery- i thought they were good but I'm not much of a cocktail connoisseur.

Room

We got cheapest available and were very, very happy. It was in the closest wing to the main section of the resort on the 1st floor. Room was huge, clean and had a view of the ocean- I thought they might have upgraded us but it was the right room. When we go back I am going to ask for this room again! Basically, there was a huge bathroom with shower, loo and sink and lots of shelving. Toiletries supplied and lots of towels. Very nice sheets, comfy bed (firm), TV, vanity, couch and coffee table and decent lighting. Awesome aircon.

Activities

Geoff played tennis twice a day, he had a lot of time with the pro and was really pleased. He said the racquets were pretty crap so take your own if you feel the need. I even had a hit (unbelievably) and thought my racquet was fine (but then I am not a player). I did yogalates, power walking, zumba, strength, core, water aerobics, the climbing wall, archery, kayaking, bike riding, swimming and trapeze. I could hardly move by the end of every single day but i enjoyed it sooooo much. The instructors were all great, friendly and nice people; they are a credit to the resort. On the second power walking day I walked down to the crocodile area near the beach with one of the instructors and a girl from Colorado and walked through the national park, this proved to be a great activity as it opened up things to do away from CM (not that we really wanted to leave the place but we did want to do some nature stuff).

The Aszlan Parque is a brilliant public space containing about 10km of bike/walk track through the jungle/forest. It is completely free, mostly shaded, completely flat and contains a phenomenal array of plant, insect and bird species. We saw the most incredible blue bird in there as well as a lot of water birds- kingfishers, egrets, herons, etc. We went back 3 times- a bit of a highlight of the trip. Mosquitos were prevalent in there, though interestingly they were inconsistent- heavy in some places, none in others. Even with RID we got quite a few bites. The crocodile area is also very interesting- there were about 19 of them, some huge. Also lots of birds and iguanas. The iguanas are fascinating to watch. Around this area are markets if you want to buy souvenirs and the ferry to Ixtapa Island leaves from here. Had a good long walk around here and down to the RV park - that is an interesting spot too, if you are a birdwatcher... or a surfer... or both (nah, prob not both).

Other Cool Things

The beach- beautiful outlook. Nice for walking- firm sand and some rocks to climb around. Lots of frigate birds, pelicans and cormorants soaring overhead.

The WHALE!!!! So lucky. We watched a whale out in the bay for about 20 mins- very cool.

The sunsets- amazing, who can not love a sunset?

Met some very nice, diverse people. Meeting people really rounds out a trip for me. One was a lady who owns/ runs a teahouse in Canada,

2 gals from LA who I'd love to see again (Marla and Betty), an Indi car racing French guy and his wife, the English family living in Seattle, etc, etc

So, after 8 nights it was time to leave. Could have easily had another couple of nights. It was really great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This resort was just not for me. I went in May and it was a way too crowded with families. This is a very active resort and not a good place for R and R. I am also handicap and while ambulatory, the hilly nature of the resort made it challenging to get around. The food here was substandard, but to be fair I am really not a foodie.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank LKGato
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Wow, where do you start? A vacation that allowed all the family to have their own unique and personal. What other vacation can you go on and possibly lose weight? How many vacations have you gone on and did not want to leave the property? WHere can you go where you never have to take your wallet anywhere or worry about the price of something? Club Med Ixtapa lives up to all the billing and then some. I would have suggested some sour moods some where or some serious slacking from what appears to be a perpetually happy staff.

GO's are the people who take care of your children and help to keep things active. There energy level is infectious as is the general manager's who was constantly around making sure you were enjoying your stay. The rooms were always kept clean. These GO's work from 8 to 12 midnight. I witnessed a GO having to handle a spoiled 8 year old who was kicking and screaming. ALexis was beyond patient and caring even though he got kicked and scratched while trying to calm the boy. THe GO's know each of the kids names and help the kids to get the most out of the club. THere are clubs for each group of kids up to 17. THe GO's were able to handle each group in an age appropriate manner.

I thought the rooms were a little better than than the Club Med Cancun rooms. We did not find any sand in our rooms and the kids loved the folding of the towels into different character's. It is a "green" environment so somewhat minimalist, but we are not in the room much. TV get's a couple of channels. One is an English speaking channel with movies, so it was good to wind down before taking on the night and watch a movie. The tile shower can be slippery and the water can get through the door. Bed's are very firm. Make sure to get a room with some view of the Ocean, close to the water. There is one set of rooms beside the tennis court that seemed far away.

You can eat somewhere anytime of day, You can be a glutton or eat extremely healthy. They have the same breakfast's, but there is so much to choose from. The lunches have different themes, but there are always consistent "go to" foods. You will always get people asking if you are OK. Armen (I believe) is one of the gentleman in charge of breakfast and lunch. He is very calming and a good person to know. Dinner is a different theme each nigh, but again, the staples of pasta, burgers, fruit, salad, fish and some kind of meat are always there. They have a color theme every night to, so bring something white, black, blue and they have an elegant evening (not too elegant, like TOmmy Bahama and nice shorts). THe last night they had faux grois and duck. I'm not a big fan of ether, but that is a $50 meal, at least, each for something like that. They have many breads (it is French), deserts, ice cream. They have a beer tap and I'm sure you can get someone to flag a cocktail for you if you would like.

Check the schedule each day. They have many things that are constant, but sometimes they throw in a little cooking class or flag football or sailing regatta. The pool was fine, we never were without a comfortable pool chair. The water was very warm. The bar is right there. They give you pool keys (yellow) when you get there to exchange for towels. I think we ended up with 9 pool towel keys by the end. The ocean water has an island and other rocks breaking any significant surf and the sand bar goes out about 60 to 70 yards. The water is great all times of the day and night, I don't think it fluctuated more than a few degrees at any time. It isn't powdery sand, but it is very comfortable. There is lot of shade provided and, if you are there early, you can ask a person to put an umbrella in right next to you. I have been to many non inclusive resorts where the beach boy gets tipped for his/her service. I would have expected a club where everything is paid ahead of time would not care about timely service. Yet, Antonio was more than attentive and much faster than servers who have been at more posh clubs.

Activities. What can't you do? You want to do yoga, Sabrina will do Yoga than turn around and do Zumba. Thwy have a cross fit at 4 that is tough, but only 30 minutes. You will get a workout in. You can run the beach, THings really don't get going on the beach until 11 so you can get a lot of quite time there in the morning (run, yoga, tai chi). The beach is may be a mile long so you have to run back and forth, but the sand is very comfortable. You can do beach volleyball, soccer (very competitive game at 5), sailing (probably could give better tips to people who might want to sail), ocean kayak. The circus people are really good and wantt o help. I didn't play tennis, but they have lessons in the morning that I heard were great. I heard the pro is good, but you probably do not want to play between 12 and 4. They have a basketball court, that I din't see get used much, but they had pick up games scheduled. Ping Pong is popular too.

OK, I'm getting into too much detail. So, outside activity's, Kind of wish I took a bike to town. We did the dolphin experience, expensive, somewhat contrived, but unforgettable! They do a nice job and everyone had a great experience with the dolphins. Went sail fishing with another group outsde of club med and went to the island and snorkeled. Snorkling was not as good as Cancun on the island, but still a neat experience. The sail fishing was OK, Club med is catch and release, others are not. Also, get the food on the island. The exchange rate is a bit "unregulated" on the island, so make sure you check the prices. THere are other events, but we were more than happy to stay on the grounds.

Internet was really only accesible in the lobby area for a fee (about $60 for a week). Yet, when you think about it,this is your vacation. Stop the texting, limit your internet time and enjoy.

Massages and facials are done and I heard they were very good. You can get a massage right on the beach.

I guess the best measurement is how tough it is for the kids to leave. So, when your 17 year old and 13 year old take 3 days to get over the trip it has to be successful. So, have a great and unique vacation experience for everyone in the family and do this thing!

Footnote. We are in the southwest and Ixtapa is located below Houston. We took a charter flight from LA to Ixtapa (going backwards). It was good to get to see some of the people who would be at the club and even better for the kids to have a few more hours with their friends. I do find it surprising that there were no Texans there or any charter flights from Houston. Anyway, these people work hard to ensure that you have the best vacation!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank mickeyapples
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

My family of four (kids 11&12) enjoyed a week at Club Med and had an amazing time during a family reunion of 22 cousins, uncles, aunts and grandparents. I can't say enough on how this place is the perfect size providing enough variety of activities and events while not feeling too big. We have visited many all-inclusives and this has reset the bar. Amazing food (we only ate at the buffet or small beach restaurant) and were always happy albeit a bit too full. Drinks were aplenty and there wasn't a feeling of pushiness for tipping, just great service. We found the rooms in the Iguana complex the perfect location for our aged kids. Right by the kids club, near the pool and beach, and close the trapeze. The kids club was amazing. The trapeze was a real standout for kids and adults alike. The pool was a bit warm, but the beach was absolutely exceptional and we spent many hours with the waves. I highly recommend this and expect to go back.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Alex V
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We just finished up a week's stay at Club Med Ixtapa with my 3 children (14, 11 and 8 years old), my parents, my brother and family friends with 2 children (14 and 10 years old). Everyone had a fabulous week soaking up the Mexican sun and enjoying the festive and friendly atmosphere because of the amazing GO team and the general manager Mehdi. We were a large group and the resort offered everyone the flexibility to do the things they enjoyed and no one had to worry about going out to eat or planning a meal. The food in the restaurants was fresh and full of variety each day. Our family filled up on Mexican food for most meals as it was amazingly delicious and they had handmade fresh corn tortillas every day! We all enjoyed the theme nights and the thursday night dinner gala on the soccer field was the highlight of the week. The kids all made great friends and they want to go back next week. We did a ton of sports activities every day. Tennis group lessons in the morning with Juanito, toning class with Stefani, and then Aqua gym with Pedro. All of the exercise allowed us to enjoy all of our meals:-) The other resort activities are fantastic. Our kids loved archery and trapeze and we all went sailing as a family. We cannot say enough positive things about all of the GO staff running the sports (Diego at sailing, Patrick and crew at Trapeze). They made the week so fun for our kids and family. The bar staff is fantastic too. Zach from Canada and Basti (who does a fabulous Michael Jackson show) were so fun and always filling your drink orders with a smile. Even when our kids were going up to the bar for their 5th smoothie of the day! Mehdi is a great general manager and he was everyone. Thanks for a great vacation!

2 Thank JWonGarcia
Los Angles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Arrived with a healthy dose of cynicism. Left with a huge amount of respect and appreciation. Like many reviews about this resort, I can't overemphasize the importance of the GO's to our overall experience here. If (i) you have kids, (ii) they are moderately sociable and (iii) you don't mind not being with you kids for most of the day, this place is literally heaven on earth. You drop them off in the morning, you pick them up at 5 (or whenever you want). In the meantime, you do whatever the hell you like, from standing in the ocean with a drink, to surfing or reading. The GO's were trully exceptional. Where they get the energy I have absolutely no idea. I wish I could remember all their names. Starting with Mehdi, the general manager, to Tom Tom, genius French bloke who runs the kids clubs, to Alexis and Nadia, they are just trully amazing human beings. My girls (10 and 8) were balling all the way to the airport on the way back. I wish they cried like that when I left! The shows were great. The food was awesome. But most importantly, my girls felt a sense of freedom and independence that is hard to replicate where we live (LA).

Is this the Four Seasons? No. But who gives a fig, when your kids are taken care of, are having a great time with people who genuinely want to establish a relationship with them.

All good. Again, if you are not too fussy about tables and chairs, or impeccable service, this is the place for you.

Oh, and the sunsets here are amazing. Club Med has nothing to do with that. That's my only complaint.

Room Tip: Iguana. Balcony Room. As close to the Ocean as you can. Rooms that start with a 5.