“Wonderful family vacation - Best staff ever!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Ixtapa Pacific

Save Saved
You added Club Med Ixtapa Pacific to your Saves list
Club Med Ixtapa Pacific
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Quieta | Estado de Guerrero, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40 880, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 23 hotels in Ixtapa
Alameda, California
“Wonderful family vacation - Best staff ever!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We just finished a fabulous vacation at the club med Ixtapa. Our family includes a 4 year old and a 12 year old and I have to start off with my deepest compliments to the Mini Club staff. My children LOVED this club. For my 12 year old, it allowed him to have freedom to be with his new friends and cool counselors, all day long, doing fun things like archery, sailing and games in the pool. Hoshi, Rodrigo and Wanny were a dream. My son clearly had a great time with them and I knew he was safe while feeling independent. My daughter flourished in the warm care of Danielle, Rodrigo, Jenni, Alex under the leadership of Augustin. My children have been in childcare since they were babies and I have been blessed with wonderful caregivers but I will tell you that this Mini Club/Junior Club GO team, under the leadership of Tom Tom, surpaced my (high) expectations. The wait staff are also excellent and there is always someone there to serve you. The food was always a buffet with more healthy options than you could possibly eat. OUr maids created little towel animals for the children each day and it was a highlight of her trip!
Thank you to all for a relaxing and fun week.
A couple tips: Bring lots of sun screen. The sun it hot here and we brought 4 bottles and ran out. The gift shop sun screen is very expensive.
One negative: There is no wifi in the rooms and you need to pay for internet service. This should be included. Everyone wants to check email, relax with their laptop in their room in the eve after an active day. But that is IT for us.
Mehdi, the Chief of the Village, clearly has a gift for leadership as his team in top-notch!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Public Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Vacationfunfamily,
Thank you for the wonderful review of our resort. Service for our guests is one of our top priorities and we are so happy that our Mini Club, Junior Club, kitchen staff, and room service staff exceeded your already high Club Med expectations. It’s also a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed the gourmet buffet style dining. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your return.

1,631 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We just returned from our first stay in Ixtapa and first Club Med experience. It was really the perfect vacation for my family. My husband and two children ages 9 and 14 all had a wonderful time. There was so much to do or not to do depending on your mood. We are pretty active people so we spent the morning playing tennis (thanks to Johnny and Juanito for the wonderful lessons and interesting conversation) and then it was relaxing pool time. After a delicious lunch we spent the afternoon sailing (thanks to Diego for teaching us first timers), kayaking, archery, on the trapeze or any number of activities that are available at the resort. The beach is convenient and not too cold to get in and do some swimming. We had a joining club room which was perfect for us. Our kids had their own bathroom and room to spread out and we could close the adjoining door when needed. The food was truly wonderful. Everything was fresh and delicious and didn't taste heavy or coated with butter/oil to mask the true flavor. I'm mostly a vegetarian that eats fish occasionally and my family eats chicken and beef and we all had plenty of choices. I usually ended up eating two or three dinners because I couldn't decide. I mentioned to the chef, German, that I didn't eat gluten and he made me gluten free pancakes anytime I asked and had gluten free pasta available if I wanted it. He made an effort to be sure I had plenty to eat each day. I just stayed away from most of the bread items and didn't have any issues finding wonderful things to eat. There was fresh fruit available every meal and plenty of desserts if you cared to indulge. My kids had double or triple scoops of ice cream every night. The menu rotated at dinner so the choices were never boring.
If you don't do dairy or soy my suggestion is to bring your own milk product, but if you're ok with soy they have that available as well. Every G.O. we interacted with was terrific. My kids spent time in the kids and teen club and had a great experience. Tom Tom, Wanny and Leo made sure the kids knew they were wanted and having fun. The Chief, Mehdi was engaging, fun and made an effort to check in with us periodically to make sure all was going well. We did do the Ixtapa Island snorkeling and Dolphiniti experience. I recommend both. There are so many things to do but I'd say it's the people who work at CM Ixtapa that make this experience so special. Overall I would say this was one of the best family vacations we've ever had and will be returning.

Room Tip: We stayed in Pajaro. It's convenient to the pool and restaurant. Ask for a room on the 2nd floo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear jnkberg,
Thank you for writing a review. We are elated that your family awarded us the title “best family vacation ever” and are already planning to return to our resort. Our staff works all hours of the day to provide our guests with a well rounded, all-inclusive stay and it is great that they were able to give you this experience. Also, for such an active family as yourselves, we are happy to hear that our fitness activities and water-sports kept you all engaged throughout your stay. Again, thank you for the review and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Wanted it to be fantastic, relaxing and fun for our family, hoped it would be... and it surpassed my expectations and then some.
A few of the highlights: Kids Club, GO's, Kids Club, Spa, Kids Club, Staff, Kids Club, Beach... did I mention the Kids Club?
They are amazing -- reminded me of the camp counselors I adored as a child. Watching them with our 3 year old was a treat in and of itself. I felt like I was able to go to summer camp with our son and then have a vacation on top of it.
The only complaint and it's not even a complaint, just and FYI -- there are bats that sleep at night in the stair wells. So be ready to see a lot of bats hanging out when you go to your room at night.
The GO's were amazing as was the Chief of the Village. Couldn't have been happier with everyone there.
I can't think of a better family trip and I am already trying to figure out how to get back sooner than later.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Public Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Jim D,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Club Med Ixtapa Pacific experience. We are so happy to hear that our resort surpassed your expectations and that your family had a fabulous time. It’s also great to hear that you enjoyed the kids club, the spa, and the staff, among other amenities. Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to your return.
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Echo the positive comments about the resort: helpful staff, solid food and great location.

Two gripes: give me free Wifi in at least one area of the resort. #2 - if you are going to rent bikes, rent semi-decent bikes. Given the cost, best to taxi into Ixtapa proper and rent from the bicycle shop near the end of the cycling path if you want a half-decent bike for the duration.

Nobody in our party got sick - we washed our hands coming in and out the dining hall every time using the sanitizer stations. DId not worry about ice/water - it was all treated and safe.

Sunday is locals day - resort will be crowded with locals - wearing a blue wristband. That was the only day we noticed the resort as "crowded".

A few comments about life outside the gates: It was safe. Outside the resort is a dedicated bike/pedestrian pathway which leads to both a nature preserve (5 mins) and into Ixtapa. Crocodiles, rare birds and turtles abound. There is also a crocodile pond/preserve (Playa Linda) about a 10 minute walk from the resort. If you have any concerns, travel with 2 or 3 people. I noted the forums mentioned some robberies on the trail in the past - saw none of that but like everywhere, keep your wits about you.

Ixtapa (as opposed to Zihuatanejo) is essentially all resorts and tourists near the water - above this area are where the locals reside. The entire cycling loop is about 15 km and is easy riding. A number of guests used it for jogging and cycling during the day. Take a bottled water in your backpack (or pick up some at the Oxo - effectively a 7-11) in Ixtapa. Great excuse to burn off some calories.

The excursion to Ixtapa Island is worth it if you like snorkeling. Be sure you have a decent guide who stays with you as the entrance off the beach is through corral reefs which are just below the surface. The waves can easily push you into the reefs - best to keep young kids on a boogie board which can keep them out of the water if need be and towed away from the reefs.

The drive to the airport passes through a few sketchy areas but again, no issues. Sadly, cannot say the same for cities 2 hours down the road...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear RovingCanucks,
Thank you for sharing your Club Med experience. We appreciate the feedback as we are always looking to improve our resort and the experience for our guests. However, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed the staff, the food, and the surrounding city. Thank you again for the review and we look forward to your next visit.
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This was our first time at a club med and we just loved it. The G.O.'s were great. Our 6 year old daughter and 8 month old son had a blast. The baby and mini club took very good care of our precious little ones. Tom-Tom, Karen, Catherine and the whole team were just the best at engaging the kids in all the cool activities. Alber, German and the entire restaurant crew made our eating experience out of this world. I would definitely recommend it to all my friends and family!!!

Keep up with the good work team Mehdi.

John from Montreal

Dear Makhtar D,
Thank you for writing a review about your Club Med Ixtapa Pacific experience. We are happy to hear that the entire family enjoyed the vacation and took advantage of the kids club during your stay. We are also glad to hear that you enjoyed the food and that the staff was well received by your family. Again, thank you for the review and we look forward to your next visit.
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We just returned from our second stay at Club Med Ixtapa and we were delighted with our choice again. I can't say enough about the genuine care and concern of the whole staff. The new Chief of the Village Mehdi Osmani is a warm and generous soul and you can see this manifested in his staff. He checks in with each guest daily and performs with the G.O.s every night! Just like last year we were impressed with the food, beach, amenities and entertainment. The resort itself is great, but it is the people who make Club Med Ixtapa something special. Monica and Wendy welcomed us warmly at the front desk and quickly resolved an issue we had with our A/C. Albers, Pedro, Juan and others welcomed us at each delicious meal. The head chef German even took extra care to make our picky eater a peanut butter and jelly sandwich one day (and packed him one for the long flight home). Willis, Saul and all the chefs are outstanding and take great pride in their work. Felipe (best!), Javier and Omar make fantastic drinks and Antonio (beach attendant) makes sure everyone has what they need. The G.O.s are some of the brightest, kindest and hard-working young people I have ever met. We put our 3 year old in Petite Club and the leader Tom-Tom made sure each day was a new adventure full of fun, surprises and friendship. Augustin, Gaby, Genesis, Ceci, Wauny and the whole Mini-Club staff took amazing care of our kiddo. He is still asking for Augustin! Johnathan, Diego, Rolando, Paloma, Enrico, Isaac, Eli, Carlos, Alvaro, and so many others made our week wonderful. We got wonderful massages from Mari and C?? in the spa too. You just have to go to see for yourself. I'm sure your family will love Club Med Ixtapa as much as we do. We are already planning to return next year!

Room Tip: "Club Room Family" has a better layout than the Family Deluxe Room and no extra cost.
Dear Family_Castillo,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent Club Med stay. Nothing makes us happier than Club Med veterans that continue to return year after year. We’re delighted to hear that the staff made such a lasting impression on your stay and that you loved the food and the beach, among other amenities. Again, thank you for the review and we can’t wait to see you again soon.
Kind Regard,
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We returned home a couple weeks ago from our first family trip to Club Med Ixtapa and, like many of the other travelers on this forum, we are already plotting to go back. It really is a wonderful place for families. We are inspired to explore the other Club Meds and to see what other super-family-friendly resorts there might be in North America, but we are concerned that we will most likely be let-down by the other alternatives. (If you know of any other places that are comparable to Club Med Ixtapa, please let me know.)
The magic of this place is the staff. From the Chief of Village – Mehdi - and all the way down; the staff were friendly, kind, caring, and energetic. There is no group of people on Earth I would rather be trapped in an elevator with! We enjoyed speaking with Mehdi practically every day. Other stand-outs were Johnny, the tennis instructor (Javier also – on his way to Brazil), Tom-Tom, Wanny, Hoshi, Maureen, & Danielle. And there are many more. Really, the resort should send us home with a list of staff names and departments so we can rave about them all. We hugged everyone we could get our hands around on the day we left.
The location is also fantastic. The beach is quiet and semi-secluded, with dramatic rocks in the distance and an island for the sun to set over during dinner. Our kids enjoyed playing in the warm water (for the Pacific) and looking for shells in the sand. There are hammocks under the palm trees. We enjoyed kayaking, tennis, and walking in the mornings; and laying in the shade by the pool in the afternoons while the kids swam. On our eight-year-old’s birthday, dinner happened to be held on the beach. One evening we got to watch baby sea turtles being released into the ocean.
The food was great. Loved the Mexican dishes, baked goods, and desserts. We never tired of the dinning location or the food selection. We were amazed at this, considering the resort is all-inclusive and family-oriented. The meals are definitely part of what will draw us back.
I will try to not restate the same things that many others are saying. But I do have a few random comments and suggestions:
First, if you are about to go to Ixtapa for the first time and are used to places like Hawaii, know that most of the Mexican Pacific coast consists of some form or other of desert. Yes, there are palm trees – lots of them along the beaches – but the area is generally dry. And flying-in, from the air, the land looks like a big lawn that hasn’t been watered for a whole summer. Also, the drive from the airport to the resort weaves though some harsh-reality neighborhoods that could be a little startling for someone from places like the U.S. or Canada. But the once you acclimate, the place is really lovely and the people are wonderful. Be sure to make an excursion to Zihuatenajo, have lunch and chat with the locals, shop, or go out on a fishing boat.
The Club Med resort itself is in a fantastic place, but it is a large property that has been around for some time and I am sure upkeep is a constant work-in-progress. Things that could use immediate attention are the tennis courts, and walking pathways. I would suggest taking a sand-blaster to much of the re-painted concrete and just let the exposed cement weather. Also, the rectangular light fixtures that are all over the resort are due for replacement & a design update. Oh yea, and as a beer lover, some premium beer options would be nice. They had the Sol and Indio flowing generously, but I would have loved an occasional Negra Modelo or a Bohemia…
But most of these things are superficial and I am sure our kids did not notice nor care. When we got home they said it was the best vacation ever!!

Dear egwelk,
Thank you for sharing your recent Club Med Ixtapa Pacific experience. Nothing makes us happier than hearing that we should be expecting your return soon. We appreciate your comments seeing as we are always looking for ways to improve. However, it’s great to hear that your family enjoyed the staff, the food, the fitness activities, and awarded us “best vacation ever”. Once again, thank you for your review, and we can’t wait to see you again.
Your Club Med Team

Been to Club Med Ixtapa Pacific? Share your experiences!