“Fabulous Stay at Club Med Ixtapa” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Ixtapa Pacific

Save Saved
You added Club Med Ixtapa Pacific to your Saves list
Club Med Ixtapa Pacific
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Quieta | Estado de Guerrero, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40 880, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 23 hotels in Ixtapa
los angeles
“Fabulous Stay at Club Med Ixtapa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My family of four (two girls ages 4 & 7) just returned from a one week stay at Club Med Ixtapa. We had a FABULOUS time! We were there from Oct. 30 - Nov. 6, 2012. This was our first time to Club Med Ixtapa and our second Club Med experience. In 2007, we stayed at the Club Med Cancun. Needless to say, our second experience with Club Med did not disappoint us.

We would like to say Thank You to Christian Ramirez who was the acting Chief G.O. during our stay. Christian did a wonderful job and we loved his energy. He personally took care of an issue related to our late check-out request with efficiency and speed.

PROS:
Mini Club Med (ages 4-10)
A big THANK YOU/MERCI to all the AMAZING G.O.s at the Mini Club Med: Agustin, Veronik, Hoshi, Andre, Ana Karen, Jenny, Karen, Dilma, Mandi, Leo and Elizabeth. My girls especially loved Agustin, Veronik and Hoshi. These G.O.s took fabulous care of my two girls and I can't say enough good things about them!! The G.O.s are all so kind, patient and energetic!! My girls had an incredible time doing activities all day long including, trampoline, trapeze, archery, sailing, soccer, tennis, swimming arts & crafts and cooking classes. I would also like to say THANK YOU to the trapeze G.Os for their patience, encouragement and skill. These trapeze G.O,s are very talented and wonderful with the children. The girls had so much fun, they didn't want to leave the Mini Club group. Since my little girl lost her medal, Agustin took the extra time and effort to give her another one right before we left. One evening while at the theater, Veronik went back to the restaurant just to get ice cream sundaes for my two girls! Their dedication and willingness to please was extraordinary and made our stay so special. THANK YOU AGAIN/MERCI ENCORE. My girls haven't stopped talking about Club Med and they miss all the G.O.s very much. They are still singing all the Crazy Signs Club Med songs.

I would also like to say Thank You to Marifer for always providing such excellent bartending service at the Estrella Bar! All the servers were polite, gracious and attended to all of our requests. If you are a foodie and appreciate excellent sea food, this is the place for you. Since Club Med is a French company, the majority of the chefs are trained in France. As a result, the food here is phenomenal. The main restaurant offers an excellent buffet three times a day. The French pastries, brioches and crepes are all absolutely delicious and high grade. This is not your typical American buffet type of food. There is a wide selection of food and something for everyone. Although the restaurant offers Mexican food on a daily basis,my husband and I hardly ate it. Instead, we had sea food every day. We especially enjoyed the fresh sashimi, fish carpaccio and grilled fish dishes. Since Zijuantanejo is a primary fishing village, the fish is incredibly fresh and far superior to what you would find in the U.S. I also really enjoyed the extravagant desserts and the coconut ice cream!

Activities
My husband played tennis in the morning with G.O Jesus and Jonathan. and soccer in the afternoon with G.O. Dan. In the morning I did the Zumba/core classes with G.O. Stephanie and then Aqua Gym with G.O. Dan. All of the fitness G.O.s are AWESOME!! Their overall enthusiasm and high energy is absolutely irresistible ! Everyone is so friendly and truly care that you are happy and enjoying yourself. Every night there was entertainment for the kids and then another show for the adults. Whether it be a dance show or a trapeze show, these G.Os put all their heart and soul into giving the very best they have to offer. I had so much fun hanging out with G.O. Stephanie and G.O. Diego!

We highly recommend the excursion to visit Ixtapa Island. We took a 10 miute boat ride to the island and went snorkeling. We launched from the beach and I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of fish.

Lodging
As a family of four, we opted for Club Room Family in the Iguana building which was closely located to both the Mini Club and everything else. The room has two rooms connected by a set of doors. The girls each had a very cute twin bed and my husband and I had a King size bed. It was very spacious and also allowed some privacy when we shut the connecting doors. Housekeeping was pretty efficient and restocked our bottled water everyday.

CONS

Plumbing. The resort had some plumbing issues. Our shower leaked and there was a few times when we didn't have hot water. When we left, Club Med was attempting to address these plumbing issues.

Excessive Smoking. While we were there, there were a fair amount of other resort members that smoked excessively on the beach, in the restaurant and outside of the main bar. The constant smoking was offensive and at times oppressive. It was especially bothersome when these people would smoke within three feet of small babies and children. Club Med needs to designate smoking and non smoking areas on the beach and in the restaurant.

Indoor Gym. The Indoor Gym needs to be renovated. The equipment is old and the space smelled bad.

I have been to Mexico 8 times and the 2 best trips I've ever had in Mexico have both been at Club Med.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear lalaling,
Thank you for posting a review about our Club Med Ixtapa resort. We're thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful vacation, and that our staff, dining options, activities and facilities exceeded your every expectation. Please know we are currently addressing the concerns you mentioned and truly appreciate your insights. We're so glad you had a marvelous visit, and we hope to see you again soon in the near future!

1,635 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

If you have kids you need to entertain on vacation look no further..this is the perfect resort. The GO's are just awesome with the kids and our 4.5 & 6.5 year old had a ball at the mini-club. They learned trapeze, sailing and archery. They were separated into 2 groups, the Geckos for the 4-5 age group and the Iguanas for the 6-7. The had scheduled activities throughout the day and into the night. I am amazed by the effort the GO's put into making them feel comfortable throughout the day and the energy they have as they keep it up through the evening activities. The theater activites are even more amazing. We were amazed at the shows the kids put up every evening..where did they get time to practice? Also the GO shows were spectacular. These people are the heart of the club med experience. I want to especially thank: Hoshi for all the hugs and kisses she gave my daughter, Elizabeth for being my daughters BFF,Marshmallow for sailing, Tonio for archery, Victor, Jamie and Agustine for looking after my son and being so patient with him. Also Joe and Ronaldo on Trapeze. I am sure there are other GO's who put in as much effort, but these names were stuck with my kids..so thanks
Apart from the kids, me and my wife had an excellent vacation, learnt how to sail and took a class with Diego at the beach..its amazing the number of languages he speaks...we went kayaking, swimming, lay on the beach, took afternoon siestas, went for a massage on the beach (walk all the way to the end - I think it was US$35/person), soccer tournaments in the evening (i'm still sore), went for a swim with the dophins with my kids (this is amazing..and will write a section on it), went snorkelling to Ixtapa island and enjoyed the evening shows into the late night....in a nut shell there is plenty to do.
Trip to Ixtapa Island
Take a cab from the reception to Playa Linda 65 pesos, take the water taxi across to Ixtapa Island (40 pesos per person) and walk to the beach which is known for snorkelling. The boat drivers did speak english and can tell you how to get there. Once there you can get a table under some shade and can rent some snorkel gear. Prices are pretty reasonable. Couple of words of caution..the local bathrooms are extremely dirty..there are some you can pay 10 pesos so find them. I was advised not to eat anything there so did not..just ordered some fresh coconut juice..which was not as sweet as I thought it should be. On the snorkelling there are plenty of fish and they do come up right to the shore, but I felt this was not the best snorkelling expereince - the waves were a bit rough and I did get knocked around on the coral so got plenty of bruises. Anyway the trip to Ixtapa Island is worth the expereince and we went there twice (once with the kids) to give them some local flavor. Also the crocodile lagoon is right there..which is nothign much expcept for a few lazy crocodiles lying around. My wife did some shopping at Playa Linda..much cheaper than at Club med ..be prepared to haggle..get a walk away price,,sometimes 50% of what they ask for..and shop around the different shops. Also one note keep the ticket you get when you get the water taxi..apparently you need it on the way back..I swam with mine so had to show them some crumbs for what was left of it.
Dolphin Swim
Cost was ~$120 for an adult and a kid..so $240 for four of us. Bring a towel to dry up..they dont provide one. Also the lockers dont have keys and are open so make sure you dont bring some thing to valuable. My kids loved this experience, touching, kissing, hugging and even dancing with the dolphins..they have a kid package which is ~25 mins..They dont let you take pics or bring video camera..you have to buy their pictures and video..$8/pic and $79 for the video..we bought 8 pics and and the video which was well edited and had good back ground music to it. A novel experience if you have never done this and the kids have not stopped talking about it.
Some other general advice..bring plenty of suntan lotion, bring plenty of swimsuits (3-4) and underwear..you may end up taking 4-5 showers a day and the suits do take time to dry. we ended up doing laundry mid week inspite of bringing a lot of extra clothes..Club Med charged $450 pesos for 40 pcs..we gave it in the morning and it was returned the same evening. The food was excellent. we had lobsters for thanksgiving dinner..awesome and the variety of cuisine was really great (this will be the least of your worries). Avoid Mexico City if you transit..awful lines in immigration..took almost an hour and we actually had to get our bags from the baggage claim and then through an X-ray machine before they went on to Ixtapa. Also need to change terminals from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2. One good point was we left one of our backpacks at the airport and on our return we went to the lost and found one week later on our return and were lucky to find it (my daughters favorite teddy was there).
One reccomendation would be for Club Med is to have clocks at the swimming pool as well as the dining areas so we can see the time to make sure we make some of the events our kids are at to take pics etc..will also save us from carrying around my iphone. One other thing is that Club Med should always have the fans running in the theater..makes the guests feel more comfortable
All in all, An awesome vacation. We will be either back here or try out the Club Med in Cancun. This was our first visit to a Club Med and we are Hooked!

Room Tip: Choose Iguana to be closer to family events and mini-club. A balcony is a plus to get all your cloth...
Dear fifthcusp,
Thanks for the review! We love when our guests have a fabulous vacation, and we're especially glad to hear this was your first Club Med experience! It makes us so happy to know you found our staff, activities and Mini Club to be fantastic. Thank you for your suggestions as we are always searching for ways to improve and greatly appreciate any feedback our guests may offer. We can't wait for you to visit again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Is this place real??!!This was our first Club Med vacation and we cannot wait to book another one....probably to Ixtapa again! This resort was absolutely beautiful and the staff and people from the area were so friendly and helpful. We were there for Thanksgiving and we were able to reserve a table and our own turkey (carved and stuffed!) with another family we met during the week. That evening the GOs put on an awesome Thanksgiving show for their guests- it was SO thoughtful and a perfect way to celebrate this special day. We met several GOs that made our stay especially enjoyable- special mention to POLO! He joined us for dinner our first evening and gave us so much valuable info and great conversation. He was right there every time we needed him or had a question about anything! One of our boys commented when we were leaving that his top three events of the vacation were 1. Swimming with dolphins2. Snorkeling3. MEETING POLO!! Obviously this GO does his Job very well
(sets up tours/excursions- go see him:-)) Special mention as well to TONIO- I said at dinner one evening that I forgot my plug in USB charger- he left and met me later with one of his own that I could borrow! Talk about service! Above and beyond with this Cub Med in so many ways!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Trishmom23,
Thanks for the kind words! We're so pleased to hear you had an amazing first Club Med experience, and a wonderful Thanksgiving! We're also so glad to hear our staff, activities and service surpassed your every expectation. Thank you again for posting a review, and we can't wait for you to return!
idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Amazing as always, the best place for families with kids. Love seeing the same staff each year when we return and some new great ones. Christian, Garth, Daniel were all fun and always energetic. Marifer is amazing and Sandy so friendly. Keep it up Club Med. I would add to really hang onto the good GO's from a diverse range of countries as we have really seen that change in the last 5 years.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Beaches_1000,
Thanks for the kind words! We love when our guests have a fabulous experience and we're ecstatic to hear this was your 5th visit! It also makes us so happy to hear that you found our staff to be wonderful. Thank you again for sharing about your stay, and we hope you return for a 6th visit soon!
Morrisville, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I recently went to Ixtapa Pacific (returned on Nov 17, 2012) with my family - myself, wife, 6 year old girl , and 20 month old boy. The resort was excellent - we had a phenomenal time - with a few highlights and detriments (which I'll mention below.)

Overall, the rooms are spacious (we had a family room, with a separate room for the kids, and a crib for the kid. The crib is a pack-and-play, but with a washable cover on it, so it's really quite clean. The kids room had a TV and 2 single beds as well. The room was clean and comfy, with separate AC controls for both rooms, and a nice little baby tub for bathing the baby. They also provided us with a stroller for our stay. The room had a mini-fridge.

The Baby Club room had all the kinds of kid stuff you would expect, including 4 types of UHT milk as well as baby formula. We ended up taking milk cartons to our room fridge since we didn't wan to always have to walk back and forth.

The highlight of the resort is really the kids club - which allowed us adults to have a good time as well. The kids club staff were *great* - they really forged bonds with the kids, and cared for them like their own. Our baby had never been in any kind of day care situation before, but he adjusted well. They adapted things like sleeping and eating to *his* schedule, rather than theirs (they do have a set schedule for activities, lunch, nap, etc.) - they were very accommodating, and we could check on the kids throughout the day and check them in/out of the kids clubs to do stuff with us. Our daughter did the trapeze, learned a bit of tennis, and *loved* going sailing almost every day.

Our daughter had a cough on the plane, which worsened once we arrived - we ended up taking her to the doctor at the resort ($50 USD ) who was very thorough and prescribed her an antibiotic. The Club Med staff called the meds into the pharmacy, and they were delivered to the front desk within the hour. The great part was that the folks at the front desk and the nurse remembered us - and Ricardo U (front desk) even came by later to enquire as to our daughters health!

A few other highlights:

- When we ran out of milk in our room, and the baby room was out of it also, Kari (of the Mini Club) actually went out, found milk for us, and delivered it directly to our room (wow!)
- The Mini and Baby Club staff - Kari, Victor, Dora, Vania, and Agustin - just to name a few, forged great relationships with our kids, and had our daughter telling us she wanted to move to Ixtapa and go to Club Med every weekend.
- We ended up going into Zihuatanejo two times during our stay - once to "Bodega" because we forgot some stuff, and once to just shop. Both times, we took the advice of the GO's and took the bus into town (10 pesos each way!), and they gave us great directions (it's one bus - almost impossible to get lost!)
- Melisa (restaurant manager) gave us great directions as to what to do in Zihuatanejo, and even gave us her cell phone number and told us to call any time if we had questions or needed help/advice.

There were only two shortcomings - which were as likely to be sales related issues as resort related ones:

1. The Miramar restaurant was under renovation when we arrived. We weren't notified of this in advance, and the end result was that we were stuck in one restaurant for the whole week. While not exactly boring, there are some repetitive dishes/deserts - and going to the same place 3x a day got a bit boring.
2. The La Luna restaurant was only open for dinner once, and the reservations filled up in under an hour - they should have had it open more than just a single night at least...
3. The kids club restaurant wasn't open at all - we were told it was because there weren't enough kids, but they shouldn't advertise it if they don't plan on having it open.
4. We were sold on booking travel through Club Med because we were told they provide transportation to and from the airport *and* provide child safety seats for the kids. They did provide the transportation, but there were no child safety seats. In fact, I *verified* 3 times, on three separate occasions (including the morning of our departure) that they would provide these seats on the way *back* to the airport, and they did not.
5. The Chef de Village was Christian (normally it's apparently Remy), a couple of GO's told us that Remy runs a "tighter" ship, and things slack a bit when he's not in the village. During our entire visit we only saw Christian a handful of times (mostly at night), and never once spoke with or met him. I'd have kind of expected to see him around a bit more...that's not necessarily a bad thing, but might explain the lack of coordination with the carseats..

I dinged the service and the food one star each because of the car seat issue and the lack of other restaurants being open. It's my understanding that the restaurant renovation (that caused Miramar to be closed) is a "one time" thing, that most other guests won't experience, but we should have been informed of this in advance of our visit.

Tips if you are going:

- Bring a tube of sunscreen for each of your kids (especially if they aren't together in the same group, so it's harder to share.)
- Bring shoes - like sneakers. For things like tennis and soccer, flip flops aren't sufficient. Hats are important also.
- Mosquito repellent is 10 bucks at the resort, and you might like to bring it.
- If you forget small stuff, it's a 30 minute bus ride each way to Bodega in Zihuatenejo (shorter if you head to the small market in Ixtapa.) Bodega is Walmart in Mexico. It's 10 pesos each way (less than 1 USD), and if it's stuff like diapers it's worth the trip.
- They have laundry at the resort (we paid US $40 to wash 40 articles of clothing.), they wash, dry, iron, and fold for you.
- Bring ibuprofen, it's not cheap at the resort, and if you're like me and do stuff like trapeze, you might need it. You can get it at the Pharmacy in Ixtapa (ask for Generico) if you want it cheaper.
- There is a boat service ($8 USD round trip) to Ixtapa island, which has hour-long massages for 250 pesos, as well as snorkeling. Consider that as opposed to the hotel massage (~1000 pesos)
- You can go horseback riding in/around a lake for about 100 pesos, but you have to know how to get there - ask at the front desk..or one of the GO's about it.
- If you go into Zihuatanejo centro (get off at the "Electra" store - it's got a large vertical sign that's hard to miss.) there is lots of good artisan shopping nearby - more so than the Ixtapa market, and seemingly more varied (not to mention cheaper.) Good for souvenirs/gifts.
- The doctor is good, and cheaper than visiting one in the US - if you sense illness coming on in your kids, go sooner rather than later (We went on the second night of our stay, and our daughter improved greatly that night.)

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are the best if you have kids. The Iguana building apparently has more mosquitos...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear ASUChander,
Thank you for posting a review about our resort. We're happy to hear you had a fabulous vacation and that our staff, facilities and Kids Club exceeded your every expectation. We're also thrilled to hear you enjoyed all the activities our resort has to offer such as our trapeze, tennis and sailing. Thank you for your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve and greatly appreciate any insights our guests may have. We're so glad you had an amazing stay, and we hope you visit again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Our family stayed here with two kids and both sets of grandparents. This was low-season, so we had the run of the place. No trouble with chairs at the pool and no lines at the buffet or the bars. On a few occasions it was actually too quiet and some of the scheduled activities, like a volleyball game, didn’t take place due to lack of numbers. This could be an issue for those who need to do every activity on the books, but it was infrequent and not an issue for us.

The rooms were spacious, the food was exceptional and so was the staff. You can trust the frequent, glowing reviews of this resort. While the property is showing some of its age, the grounds are lush and well taken care of, and everything is neat and tidy. What separates this place from the rest is the staff. Absolutely first rate! Activities are plentiful, but there is no obligation to do anything more than sit by the pool or on the beach if that is what you want.

We hadn’t planned on putting our kids in the Mini Club that is included, but after trying it out, they begged to go back and move from one activity to another under the great care of G.O.s Mandy, Elizabeth, Veronik, Andre, Agustin, Karen, Tonio and others. The kids did archery, sailing, trapeze, soccer, arts and crafts, swimming, treasure hunts, cooking with the chef. One of their best days was our only day of rain during the week.

The sports staff, including Jesus at tennis and Dan at Aqua Gym were great! Josephine at Zumba got high marks from my wife and the grandmothers with us. The whole trapeze crew was great with the kids and put on the best show of the week. Carlos and the restaurant staff were spot on with their service. Hugo was our go to guy at the pool bar and kept the unlimited beverage flowing with a smile all day long. And the food – this was the unexpected surprise of the trip. I’ve been to all-inclusive resorts where the draw of unlimited food sounds great, but it never meets your expectations. The food here exceeded everyone’s expectations. The chefs provided perfectly prepared and varied dishes with great attention to detail and wonderful presentation. We are food snobs and were not disappointed in any meal.

As the resort management does monitor these posts, just two suggestions. First, the resort is on a slightly later schedule than we are accustomed. Breakfast is not available until 7:30am and there is no place open before that to get coffee or something to eat. This was rarely an issue, but with small kids, you are bound to be up earlier than you’d like on vacation and having even a small café type place open before the main restaurant would be a real nice offering. Second, don’t nickel and dime your guests on Internet service. If the Hampton Inn has free Internet, so should you. At a minimum, offer free wireless service in the public areas and just charge for wired room Internet. While the Internet service was decent, it had its glitches and that is annoying when you are paying for it.

Room Tip: Stay in the Iguana complex of buildings. Would advise ground floor room as the stairs are narrow an...
Dear tmmnova,
Thanks for the kind words! It sounds like you had a spectacular time enjoying all the activities our resort has to offer like the trapeze, tennis and zumba. We're also pleased to hear you found our staff, dining options and facilities to be exceptional. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you visit again soon!
Punta del Este, Uruguay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Title says it all. Kids went nuts for the ice-cream bar, soda fountain, archery, trapeze, tennis. My son had no less than 6 pina colada (virgin) smoothies per day. Now my family is used to Pavillon de la reine (if you don't know it, look it up, we recommend it highly)....but this was a different type of vacation.

Honestly, one we never thought we'd take. But the end of summer was rolling around and my mom wanted to take a family vacation, the kids were out of camp and school was 2 weeks away....next thing you know, we're landing in Zihuatanejo.

BTW the end of August is the perfect time to go there. It was only 30% full, so we had full run of the place and no lines for anything. Food was plentiful, and alcohol was free. So, um, yeah you might start drinking early.

There are two negatives: 1. Mosquitos - they are vicious and unforgiving; one spot left uncovered and you're bit for sure. Bring lots of bug spray. Not one can, but one can per person. They sell it at the store, but it's more expensive and sometimes they're out of the spray. 2. The rooms are not what you're paying for. Remember that. It's fun, it's an experience, and you're hardly ever in your room. If you're travelling with more than 1 child, I suggest two adjoining rooms instead of the family suite. 5 people, one cramped bathroom...no bueno. You need two bathrooms.

The G.O's were awesome: Kellee (my archery daughter's favorite), Christian (temporary head of village) and Josh (the secret agent/professional water skiier/lawyer/bon vivant). So friendly and inviting. They made the whole trip better. Don't be afraid when they sit and eat with you; that's just part of the charm.

We're looking forward to our next Club Med family vacation, just trying to find the time and place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear amtann,
Thank you for posting a review about Club Med Ixtapa Pacific. It makes us so happy to hear you had a fabulous stay and that your kids didn't want to leave! We're also so glad you found our staff, activities and amenities to be excellent. Thank you for your insights as we are always looking for ways to improve and appreciate any feedback our guests may have. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Your Club Med Team

Been to Club Med Ixtapa Pacific? Share your experiences!