About six months ago, my wife, my 2-year old daughter, and I went to Club Med Ixtapa for 10 Days. It was our first time there. We are returning six months from now (late November/early December 2012) and have convinced TWELVE people to go with us (my father, in-laws, and two other couples with their toddler aged children). Oh, we've also convinced our neighbor to take her six year old son over the summer.
So yeah, we like this place. A lot.
First things first: The GOs and level of service is beyond exceptional. Yes, the location is beautiful, yes the food is great, but it is truly the people who make this place special. The GOs run the activities all day, dine with the guests at meals, perform in the shows at night, and then hang out until the last guests have retired for the night. They are relaxed, down-to-earth, and great fun. Way beyond what I've experienced anywhere. They work so hard and it is so appreciated.
Obligatory shout outs: Amira, an exceptional young woman. Our daughter STILL talks about her (again, she's 2 1/2). Also Angel and Ernesto who took such good care of our girl.
In our ten days there, my wife and I took tennis lessons every morning (Thank you Javier and Jesus!). Six months later, I'm still taking tennis lessons and have found a new hobby. I played water polo, I went sailing, did archery, I laid by the pool and read books, I even went on the trapeze. I sat with my two-year old will she watched her first live stage show ever and also watched her "perform" on stage for the first time.
I spent valuable, relaxed time with my wife with no schedule or trying to cram in a "date night" in the midst of the jam-packed weeks. Oh and I did all group dancing, every day. Which, to people who know me, was nothing less than shocking. I'm not really the group dancing type...well, I guess I am.
As for your kids, you're going to feel like the best parent in the world. Your kid is going to have so much ridiculous fun with the mini-club or petit club that they will want nothing to do with you. Good news: You get to do whatever you want all day knowing your kids are having the time of their lives. Don't worry though, there are great family activities set for every afternoon around 4pm (tie-dying, "Olympics", cookie making, pinata party, etc).
For those with toddlers, here's a strategic tip if you're interested: Hang out with your kid at dinner, like at 6 or 6:30 but just feed them, you don't eat. You then drop them off for the "pajama club" after they're done and then go have adult dinner. Best of both worlds.
Oh. The rooms. We did the family deluxe room. One room with a king bed and another room with two twins, each with a trundle bed. Separate rooms, adjoining bathroom.
Some reviews on here complained about the smell of the room or the fact that there are ants. Yes, the rooms have that "tropical" feel and smell a bit damp. No kidding. You're in the sub-tropical jungle!!! I've been to five star resorts in Hawaii that have the same damp feel and that tropical "smell." It's just the way it is. Get over it. As for the ants. Yes, there's ants. Just don't leave food around. Again: Jungle. Sub-Tropical. Besides, you're never going to be in the room.
The food. So much better than it needs to be. Lots of reviews about the food here, I'll just give you my favorites that I still think about six-months later that you shouldn't miss should you see it offered: The torta, the red snapper, the Moroccan tangine, and all the sashimi you can eat. And two magic words: Chocolate Brioche.
What else. Hmmm..yes, if they do the late night Brazilian beach party one night ,be sure to go. Get someone to watch the kids, stay up late, and go drink caipirinhas. Trust me. Actually, I'm not going to give anything else away. There's lots of surprises.
We didn't do excursions, but we will this year. We've heard the lobster lunch and massage on on Ixtapa Island is great. How could it not be, right?
Alright, that's all I got. Just go. Just go. Just go.
- Also Known As:
- Club Med Ixtapa Pacific Hotel Ixtapa
- Club Med Ixtapa Pacific Hotel
- Club Med Ixtapa
- Club Med Zihuatanejo
- Zihuatanejo Club Med
- Ixtapa Club Med
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the wonders of Mexico during your stay at Ixtapa Pacific. A heavenly Mexican hacienda-style all-inclusive family resort nestled between the Sierra Madre mountains and the shores of the Pacific Ocean. Travel to Club Med Ixtapa Pacific with your family and enjoy a carefree all-inclusive vacation in spectacular beachfront sceneries. A hassle-free stay for you, an adventure for your kids: practice your favorite sports, indulge at the Spa* or relax on a lounge chair on the breathtaking beach while your children are entertained at Club Med's world-famous Children's Clubs with dedicated activities and sports for children and teenagers, for each age group, and all coordinated by qualified and enthusiastic professionals. Already one of the best family resort for those traveling with babies, this environmentally-friendly hideaway also offers activities for adults. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your Club Med Ixtapa Pacific reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.