“Don't Overthink It. Just Go and Go With Everyone You Love” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Med Ixtapa Pacific

You added Club Med Ixtapa Pacific to your Saves list
Club Med Ixtapa Pacific
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Quieta | Estado de Guerrero, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40 880, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Los Angeles, California
“Don't Overthink It. Just Go and Go With Everyone You Love”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

About six months ago, my wife, my 2-year old daughter, and I went to Club Med Ixtapa for 10 Days. It was our first time there. We are returning six months from now (late November/early December 2012) and have convinced TWELVE people to go with us (my father, in-laws, and two other couples with their toddler aged children). Oh, we've also convinced our neighbor to take her six year old son over the summer.

So yeah, we like this place. A lot.

First things first: The GOs and level of service is beyond exceptional. Yes, the location is beautiful, yes the food is great, but it is truly the people who make this place special. The GOs run the activities all day, dine with the guests at meals, perform in the shows at night, and then hang out until the last guests have retired for the night. They are relaxed, down-to-earth, and great fun. Way beyond what I've experienced anywhere. They work so hard and it is so appreciated.

Obligatory shout outs: Amira, an exceptional young woman. Our daughter STILL talks about her (again, she's 2 1/2). Also Angel and Ernesto who took such good care of our girl.

In our ten days there, my wife and I took tennis lessons every morning (Thank you Javier and Jesus!). Six months later, I'm still taking tennis lessons and have found a new hobby. I played water polo, I went sailing, did archery, I laid by the pool and read books, I even went on the trapeze. I sat with my two-year old will she watched her first live stage show ever and also watched her "perform" on stage for the first time.

I spent valuable, relaxed time with my wife with no schedule or trying to cram in a "date night" in the midst of the jam-packed weeks. Oh and I did all group dancing, every day. Which, to people who know me, was nothing less than shocking. I'm not really the group dancing type...well, I guess I am.

As for your kids, you're going to feel like the best parent in the world. Your kid is going to have so much ridiculous fun with the mini-club or petit club that they will want nothing to do with you. Good news: You get to do whatever you want all day knowing your kids are having the time of their lives. Don't worry though, there are great family activities set for every afternoon around 4pm (tie-dying, "Olympics", cookie making, pinata party, etc).

For those with toddlers, here's a strategic tip if you're interested: Hang out with your kid at dinner, like at 6 or 6:30 but just feed them, you don't eat. You then drop them off for the "pajama club" after they're done and then go have adult dinner. Best of both worlds.

Oh. The rooms. We did the family deluxe room. One room with a king bed and another room with two twins, each with a trundle bed. Separate rooms, adjoining bathroom.

Some reviews on here complained about the smell of the room or the fact that there are ants. Yes, the rooms have that "tropical" feel and smell a bit damp. No kidding. You're in the sub-tropical jungle!!! I've been to five star resorts in Hawaii that have the same damp feel and that tropical "smell." It's just the way it is. Get over it. As for the ants. Yes, there's ants. Just don't leave food around. Again: Jungle. Sub-Tropical. Besides, you're never going to be in the room.

The food. So much better than it needs to be. Lots of reviews about the food here, I'll just give you my favorites that I still think about six-months later that you shouldn't miss should you see it offered: The torta, the red snapper, the Moroccan tangine, and all the sashimi you can eat. And two magic words: Chocolate Brioche.

What else. Hmmm..yes, if they do the late night Brazilian beach party one night ,be sure to go. Get someone to watch the kids, stay up late, and go drink caipirinhas. Trust me. Actually, I'm not going to give anything else away. There's lots of surprises.

We didn't do excursions, but we will this year. We've heard the lobster lunch and massage on on Ixtapa Island is great. How could it not be, right?

Alright, that's all I got. Just go. Just go. Just go.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear Jerodg,
Thank you for writing such a detailed review! We’re flattered that you recommended us to so many people, and we can’t wait to see you all. We couldn’t agree more; our staff is an integral part of the creating an unforgettable vacation, and it is great that your family made such a special connection with them. Thank you again for the kind words about our staff, food, activities and accommodations. We’re counting down the days until your next visit!

Your Club Med Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Battle Ground, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

I'll start off by admitting I was a little apprehensive about doing a Club Med vacation. I'm shy. I'm an introvert. And while I've always loved to travel, I tend to focus on history, art and museums, and avoid socializing. I did not consider myself the resort type.

In the middle of a difficult university semester, I decided to plan something new and checked out all-inclusives online. I'm a student. My husband and I have three kids. I had never looked into this kind of vacation because, in addition to the social aspects, I hadn't really thought they would be affordable options. I was very surprised to find a great deal on a week at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific for my husband and me.I booked it and had no idea what we were in for.

Every step of the vacation blew my mind. Upon arriving at the airport, a car immediately whisked us away to the resort where we were greeted, ushered to our rooms, and commenced a week of adventure way beyond what I'd hoped to experience. We stayed in a standard club room and found it to be lovely; very clean, great color scheme, a comfortable bed, clever use of space, and a gorgeous view of the beach and Ixtapa island.

I admit to being a bit of a food snob. I'm from Portland. It's almost mandatory. So I was skeptical about eating buffet style. This skepticism was completely unnecessary. The food was excellent. Every meal surprised me with the ingenuity and creativity of the chefs and the variety of food available. The salads, fresh fruits, vegetables, and juices were particularly appreciated. The pinot noir table wine was good and the coffee was excellent. We also dined at each of the two specialty restaurants once over the course of our week's stay and enjoyed those meals very much. Dining highlights were the seafood dinner on the beach and the more formal Mother's Day dinner (I was shocked to see a buffet successfully offer filet mignon).

My husband and I are reasonably active people and ended up cramming as much as we could into our week at Club Med Ixtapa. When we weren't swimming in the ocean and/or drinking margaritas, we tried archery, watched some tennis and sailing competitions, and fell in love with trapeze and kayaking. The shows in the evening ranged between outstanding displays of athleticism and artistry to outrageous slapstick comedy. And it was all very good.

But what I could never have understood or expected without experiencing it is how dependent all that is on the skills and expertise of the staff. The G.O.s here are amazing and while the resort is lovely and has a lot to offer, it's the G.O.s that make the whole experience so unforgettable.

Gareth, from trapeze, was just the kind of person (with just the kind of personality) that could make a couple of introverted Portland nerds break out of their comfort zones enough to really have fun. He was the first G.O. to join us for a meal and helped us work up the courage to go try trapeze. I was terrified. I hate heights. But I'm so proud of myself for doing it. It's an experience I'll never forget. My husband became mildly obsessed with it and this became a part of our daily schedule. We'd probably do another Club Med vacation just for the circus stuff.

Kellee, from kayaking/sailing, was the best; not only for the help with kayaking (which was my favorite activity and became my after-breakfast habit), but for making me feel comfortable wherever she was. I felt like part of the family and enjoyed social activities like dancing and karaoke that I would normally have been too shy to try. Through Kellee I also had the chance to talk to Ingrid and Thiago; also fascinating and very talented people.

My husband and I did leave the resort for one excursion: the mountain biking trek through a nearby nature preserve. I would highly recommend this for anyone who can ride a bike for even a few minutes at a time. It doesn't demand a lot of athleticism and is led by a biologist with a comprehensive knowledge of the ecosystem and the ability to make this knowledge accessible and understandable. We saw more species of birds than I'd ever thought to find in one spot, as well as very interesting flora, iguanas, and crocodiles. I only went because my husband really wanted to do it - and he love it - but I think I ended up being even more excited about the experience than he was. I really can't recommend it highly enough.

Also, if you're anything at all like me, May is the best time to come to Club Med Ixtapa. There were enough people there that group activities were fun, but there were no crowds and no lines for anything. It was perfect.

The whole vacation completely surpassed all hopes and expectations.

My one regret was that we didn't bring the kids with us. We watched the Mini Club G.O.s doing activities and interacting with the children and were in awe of how good they were with the kids and how much the kids loved them. Next May we'll be back. And we'll bring the kids.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sara M,
Thank you for telling us all about your first Club Med vacation! We couldn’t be happier that two self-professed “nerds” truly enjoyed every minute. Our goal is to create a welcoming atmosphere so that all of our guests can create unforgettable moments and memories. We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our food, activities and entertainment. We can’t wait to see you and the kids next May!

Victoria, BC Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Our family had an amazing time at Club Med Ixtapa. My wife, 1.5 year old daughter and I joined another couple and their daughter on this best vacation ever. This was our second all inclusive resort vacation, and first to Club Med. We had been to an El Dorado gourmet inclusive resort before our daughter was born, and I was happy to find out that there was at least 1 lunch/dinner offering at the buffet that was better than any plated meal at the other resort. The activities had well-maintained equipment and the evening entertainment was of a high quality. We had such a great time just relaxing, but managed to squeeze in some activities such as archery, aqua fit, beach volleyball, cooking (I don't consider ceviche cooking really) all around a toddler's eating and napping schedule. The rooms were always clean and we got spoiled by afternoon turn down service with little chocolates on the bed. The stroller they lent us and all the high chairs at the restaurant were very clean as well.

Some info/tips for guests:
All water on site is filtered and drinkable.
The resort has an eco-friendly certification.
They spray for insects every morning - that's why you don't see too many mosquitoes.
Try to get a larger table than you need so a GO can join you for a meal.
Although on these vacations it is nice not to care what time it is, take a watch if you want to participate in some of the scheduled activities.
Bring running shoes if you want to play some of the sports like soccer.
You can wash sippy cups in the bottle room next to baby club.

Some suggestions for the resort:
I never had a problem with the food, but the sashimi display at the buffet should have been on ice. I think most of the other raw fish dishes on the other days were chilled.
Have straws available by the microwave area of the buffet - it took time to ask the server each meal.
Have mugs near the microwave area so toddlers can have warm milk.

Room Tip: Iguana building away fro the basketball courts is the way to go if you have kids and want it quiet...
Dear Calvin L,
Thank you for writing such a detailed review of your stay with us! We are absolutely thrilled to have been named the “best vacation ever.” We couldn’t be happier to hear that you both loved our food and activities. We’d also like to thank you for your suggestions because your opinion is very important to us. We hope you’ll be back to let us spoil you again soon!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I went to club med and just got back 2 weeks ago. We had a blast as always with club med. This club was exceptionally great since they kids club and petit club GOs were so wonderful. My 4 year old and 2 year old had a blast as did my husband, sister, brother, his wife and I.

The family rooms are great. you have a separate room for the kids.

Room Tip: Muneca side is quieter!
Aptos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Having just experienced the best vacation ever, I thought I would share with you my recent experiences at Club Med, Ixtapa/Pacific. While the food, weather, living accommodations, activities and support personnel are exceptional and five star quality, I can't say enough about the special individuals I encountered who touched my life in such a fashion I will forever cherish. They include (1) Javier - exceptional tennis instructor. Whether you are a beginner or advanced player, you will learn something new from Javier's tennis clinics; (2) Josh - Great personality. Very successful at arranging various club and sports activities; (3) Jeremey - Mr. Excitement and extremely charismatic. His poolside activities and stage productions are special to watch; (4) Remy - Exceptional leader. As "Chief of the Village", Remy makes daily rounds of the facility to ensure everyone there is having a special time; (5) Anais - Saving the best for last, if you enjoy Zumba then be sure to attend Anais' Zumba class. She is without a doubt the best Zumba and dance instructor on the planet. You will also fall in love with her energy, smile and beauty. So do yourself a favor, attend this resort for a vacation of a lifetime. I just completed my third visit in the past four years. Eddie Castro, Aptos, California.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear EddieMrTen,
Thank you for telling us all about your vacation! As always, it is wonderful to hear that you made such a special connection with our staff. They work hard to ensure that every guest has an unforgettable stay and we are proud to know that you took notice. We can’t wait to have you back for a fifth visit, very soon!

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

My husband and his sister decied that as a family we should take my mother-in-law on a vacation for her retirement, and she would choose the location. She chose the Club Med Ixtapa Pacific. It was the best choice, we all had an amazing time.

First and foremost, we have to let everyone know who is travelling with children, that this Club Med had an amazing Mini Club program. Carlitos and Amira, the two of you made my step-daughters stay the most amazing. She loved every minute of rock wall climbing, mini chef, trapeze, and especially being in the Fashion Shows and Theatre. She will always remeber the two of you, and how special you made her feel. Thank you :)

As for the 4 adults, we all had something to do. My mother in-law so enjoyed being in Aqua Gym with Jeremy, and she eventually convinced me to join in, then my husband and sister in law. Jeremy made it so much fun. I think the "Sexy and I know it" song will always bring a smile to our families face and also possibly make us all "wigga wigga". Jeremy has permanently implanted himself in our brains. He is amazing at his job from aqua gym, to sitting with you at dinner, recognizing you around the resort and in the comedy shows. We didnt see him in action in Soccer, but heard he was great :)

Also, my mother in law truly enjoyed Nai, the Salsa class instructor. As a single woman, my mother in law felt completely included in all of Nai's classes. She deserves much recognition.

Meghan, from the Circus crew, you were great to hang out with. My sister in law and myself had a blast getting to know you and wish you all the best in your future endeavors! We wish we could have hung out a little more with you and learned about the drink "Ixtapa" before our very last day!! Oh well ;)

And when it comes to the Restaurant staff, they were all amazing, but Audel stood out to all of us. His smile and his friendship with my husband were great! We were always so happy to see Audel, and we were literally extremely disappointed when we could not find him on our last night to say goodbye! Please be sure to pass our regards to Audel if you go! :)

Remy, the Chief of the Village, you are great! You make your job look extremely easy, and we thank you for always coming to see how we were enjoying ourselves at dinner, by the pool or after the theatre.

For those who are considering Club Med Ixtapa, you would never regret going. We enjoyed 10 days of 30 degress C +, sunny every day and sunsets like no other. There are so many things to do while at this Club Med, from Power Walking, which my mother in law and I enjoyed everyday (except the day after my birthday!! Oops!), to Kayaking, playing Beach Volleyball, enjoy nightly entertainment and the Pool event every day at 12:15.

I know our family will never have another experience like this, until we return to Club Med Ixtapa.

The location is beautiful, the hote is great, but its truly the staff that made our stay so amazing. Thank you Amira, Carlitos, Josh (who power walked with us in the day and entertained us at night), Meghan, Audel, Oscar (power walker/rock wall climber who always has a smile on his face!), Remy and Jeremy! You all are fabulous and we would all be lucky to see you once again :)

Cheers,

Ashley

Oh, the one and only negative that our trip incurred was the construction that was going on in the room below us. It was horrible. But, with that being said, we were in a room beside the stairwell, and above room construction and we didnt move, even though there were less than 200 people at the resort, because in the end, we really didnt care. We just enjoyed ourselves very much.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms across from stairwells, Very loud at night with the late night people.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear Ashley R,
Thank you for writing sharing your wonderful Club Med memories with us! We are so proud to have been a part of an amazing family vacation. We couldn’t be happier to hear that you loved our staff just as much as we do. We work hard to create a welcoming environment for our guests of all ages and we’re excited to hear that we succeeded. We would also like to thank you for your insights regarding construction, and hope that it did not put a damper on an overall great trip. We were sad to see you go and can’t wait to see you all again soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Our 7th time at Club Med Ixtapa
Always terrific. Great G.O.s
Kid paradise
Beautiful beach
Excellent food and service.
Tennis courts could use some rehab.

Room Tip: Iguana for those with little kids Pajaro for those with older kids
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear 4MGOBLUE,
Thank you for writing a review and for you continued support of Club Med! As always, we are thrilled that you enjoyed our beautiful location, awesome food and amazing staff. We’d also like to thank you for your insights regarding the tennis courts because we truly value your opinion. We hope to see you for an eighth time very soon!

Your Club Med Team

Been to Club Med Ixtapa Pacific? Share your experiences!