One of the best signs for this resort is the number of repeat guests you will find when you are there. And assuming you have children you will likely understand why that would be. But let's start with the things that were less than ideal:
-the ac in the rooms was not great. We usually fell asleep feeling good and awakened in the middle of the night too hot as the AC either stopped or turned itself down.
-the beds were hard- this didn't bother most people but if you like a softer mattress it was not a great experience
-bring the bug spray- my wife was eaten alive and we were all itching quite a bit. You know something is up when the restaurants have "off" at their entrances. This was mainly an evening problem but it gets old to be itchy all the time when you don't have the spray
Overall, however, ClubMed does a great job on the all-inclusive idea. Gone are the famous beads. Now, almost everything you are likely to do, eat or drink is included. The only quirky thing is that they regulate how may towels you can get at the pools (or they try to). And the good news is almost everything you do, eat or drink is of really good quality. When you do need to pay extra it is for things like upgraded wine (with a very, very limited wine list if you do decide to splurge), spa services and they remain among places thst still charge for wireless internet (but you're on vacation, let it go!).
The ClubMed people really stood out. Those that work with the kids were great without exception but everyone there seems to be friendly and as helpful as you need them to be. Even the guy watering the lawns is likely to say good morning to you and probably would help you if he could. There is definitely the belief that the staff are a key part of making you feel a part of something and not just there to fetch things for you. That's why you'll often see the staff sitting with guests at lunch (if you are okay with that) and why they turn out to wave you off when you depart.
Kids activities are great. Our son (4 years old) love what they call Mini Club (day camp). The people who work there are great and ensured he had a full day of activities from trapese to beach time etc. But you can do as much or little as you like- come for an hour and then later if you want. If you're not there the pools are kid-friendly, the evening shows are usually kid-friendly, and what kid doesn't like the beach?
Adults also have plenty to do and there is even a quiet pool if you need to escape the action at the 2 main pools (where it is never quiet until it closes). There are also excursions- but we were there to hang out so we didn't leave the property.
The rooms we had (and visited) were all very nice. Having a balcony or patio is a great addition for drying wet clothing. The rooms we had were very spacious. Ours was kind of like a railroad flat. Our son's sleeping area had two twin beds by the front door, then the bathroom (clean and updated), then our bed and then the balcony. The only downside was that, unless you were on the ground floor and could go out the patio door, once naptime began you could feel trapped in your room since you had to go past the kids' beds to get out.
The suites are even nicer and have a concierge and free internet in the room. They are also removed from the other buildings so they are quieter and have their own beach area that will never be as busy as the main beach. The rooms are larger with a nice-sized living room added to the already decent space. But the concierge is key- they will make reservations for you at the non-buffet restaurants and there is always food/drink available. Plus suites get extended check out (1PM instead of 11AM) which is nice if you have a late-afternoon flight.
What about the food? It's good- better than expected certainly. But we would recommend focusing on the sit-down restaurants over the buffets for dinner. The food was much more interesting and they have a kids menu if you want the boring stuff for the kids. The buffet restaurants are fine and always have some made-to-order stations but there is a sameness to the food that gets old if you are there a week or more. Plus at times dinner items returned for lunch. The other tip is avoid the meat (pork or beef). The seafood and chicken are fine but the beef was almost always disappointing. Drinks by the main pool were usually most disappointing while the restaurants were best - bartenders matter! Nobody could explain how we wound up getting different Diet Cokes- sometimes shockingly terrible based on who was serving. Just odd but not a big deal.
The big plus of this place is the location if you live on the West Coast it is easier to get to than the other clubs. The Ixtapa airport isn't great but since they don't have weather problems it is an easy place to visit.
- Also Known As:
- Club Med Ixtapa Pacific Hotel
- Club Med Ixtapa Pacific Hotel Ixtapa
- Club Med Ixtapa
- Club Med Zihuatanejo
- Zihuatanejo Club Med
- Ixtapa Club Med
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the wonders of Mexico during your stay at Ixtapa Pacific. A heavenly Mexican hacienda-style all-inclusive family resort nestled between the Sierra Madre mountains and the shores of the Pacific Ocean. Travel to Club Med Ixtapa Pacific with your family and enjoy a carefree all-inclusive vacation in spectacular beachfront sceneries. A hassle-free stay for you, an adventure for your kids: practice your favorite sports, indulge at the Spa* or relax on a lounge chair on the breathtaking beach while your children are entertained at Club Med's world-famous Children's Clubs with dedicated activities and sports for children and teenagers, for each age group, and all coordinated by qualified and enthusiastic professionals. Already one of the best family resort for those traveling with babies, this environmentally-friendly hideaway also offers activities for adults. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your Club Med Ixtapa Pacific reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.