“Don't be fooled, this course is NOT up to par.” 1 of 5 stars

Type: Marinas
Activities: Golfing, Fishing
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Marina Ixtapa Golf Club is a Robert Von Hagge designed links style track which opened in January, 1994. It is characterized by narrow fairways bordered by numerous dunes of grass, large traps guarding undulating greens and water on 14 of the 18 holes.The course is a challenging yet fair experience with 4 sets of tees to accommodate all ranges of experience and abilities. The staff is friendly, courteous and very knowledgeable.The Marina Ixtapa Golf Club is open from 7 am until dusk 365 days per year.
Houston, Tx
“Don't be fooled, this course is NOT up to par.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have made four different trips to Zihua and each time I checked the trusty Tripadvisor site for the recommendation to either play Marina or Palma Real. Each time the reviews have applauded Marina and slammed Palma Real. So I had always played only Marina but always thought what I could see of Palma Real from the street looked far superior. This trip I took the time to play both.

I am fully convinced that the positive reviews on this site for Marina Golf have to be coming from folks with a financial stake in the Marina course.

Let's start with the Marina course:
"Goat pasture minus the goats" pretty much sums it up. There are barren patches in the middle of most fairways, weeds thick in the "sand" traps, more like rock traps, the greens are very coarse and slow. The carts are likely third generation hand me downs. It is still a viable golf course though. It has 18 full size golf holes but they are crammed in behind and across the street from the hotels on the beach. You are actually playing along the mangroves and stinky ditches that hold brackish water and alligators (those I don't mind, they add local flavor).

The staff:
If you are lucky enough to find someone in the golf shop, they will likely make you feel like you have just been taken advantage of by the time you walk out. They quote you in US dollars but then convert everything in to Pesos using a ridiculous exchange rate then MAKE YOU pay in Pesos. Nevermind if you wish to purchase a souvenir. Nothing, NADA, ZILCH is for sale in the Pro shop.

If you play Marina, you are basically getting in 18 holes and paying for the longitude and lattitude.

Like I said, I played Palma Real as well on this trip. It was in very good, not exceptional shape. A local told me later that it had recently been mowed or we would not have been able to find our balls outside of the fairway. This was not the case when we played. It was beautiful. It was challenging. The carts were well maintaned. The caddies were very helpful. The beer cart came around on a regular basis and even ran a tab for us rather than demand payment for each round of drinks. Lots of alligators. Let the caddy look for your ball! The Pro shop did not have any merchandise either but the staff was actually helpful in trying to save us money by proactively demonstrating that we could pay less if we combine our rounds in to a package and pay up front. This proved to save us quite a bit and coming back 2 days later even without our proof of purchase was not an issue.

Visited October 2012
TimIxtapa, General Manager at Marina Ixtapa Golf Club, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
txlerch, Thank you for your visit to the Marina Ixtapa Golf Club back in October and especially for your TA post dated 5 November, 2012.

It pains me to admit it but your comments were right on target regarding the condition of the course and the unprofessional attitude of the staff. But since I have been here we have made great strides towards improving all aspects of the MArina Ixtapa Golf Club experience.

My name is Tim Sullivan. I am the new general manager of the golf club. I took over the job last 15 December, 2012.

My #1 priority is to provide a satisfying golfing experience at a reasonable price for all of our visitors.

I invite you to come back and give us another try. When you do return I will comp your round of golf.

Tim Sullivan
General MAnager

Long Beach, Washington
11 attraction reviews
“Great place for a romantic dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Ixtapa Marina has nice restaurants with great food:the ambiance is romantic and the night view is great

Visited September 2012
Henderson, Nevada
8 attraction reviews
“Marina Ixtapa Golf Club”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This golf course, while very challenging, is a beauty especially when compared to Palma Real. If you buy a 6-round package the price equals about half thsat of Palma Real and even includes a cart. Give it a try!

Visited June 2012
amagnuson, Thank you for your visit to Marina Ixtapa Golf Club and for your favorable review on TA.

I look forward to meeting you during your next visit to Ixtapa

Tim Sullivan
Seattle, Washington
13 attraction reviews
“Very fun day golfing... Course is very playable for all...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Course was in good condition for a public course. Lots of great wild life. I've played the other course and they are both great... Lots of fun...

Visited November 2011
chicago
77 attraction reviews
“Good Golf Packages”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

My husband loved playing golf here. They had some very reasonable packages for playing multiple rounds. He found the course challenging... but a great time. One word of caution... if you lose your ball.. do not go looking for it... there are crocodiles in that water. Take extra balls with you! He lost 10 on the first day. He got better as he played more than once. He thought the greens and grounds were well taken care of and the course lay out and pin placement logical but challenging. Also if you get one of the packages they will hold your clubs for you (clean them too). He took the bus to the marina every day the bus driver was great and for under a dollar he got to the course.

Visited February 2012