“THIS is where to play golf in Zihuatanejo!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Campo de Golf Ixtapa

Campo de Golf Ixtapa
Apartado Postal 105, Blvd. Ixtapa S/N, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico (Formerly Palma Real Golf Club)
52 755 553 1062
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 14 Attractions in Ixtapa
Type: Golf Courses
Activities: Golfing
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Ranked as one of Mexico's finest, this 18-hole course was designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr.
Houston, Tx
“THIS is where to play golf in Zihuatanejo!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have made four different trips to Zihua and each time I checked the trusty Tripadvisor site for the recommendation to either play Marina or Palma Real (cabbies don't even know it as Campo de Golf). Each time the reviews have applauded Marina and slammed Palma Real. So I had always played only Marina but always thought what I could see of Palma Real from the street looked far superior. This trip I took the time to play both.

I am fully convinced that the positive reviews on this site for Marina Golf have to be coming from folks with a financial stake in the Marina course.

Let's start with the Marina course:
"Goat pasture minus the goats" pretty much sums it up. There are barren patches in the middle of most fairways, weeds thick in the "sand" traps, more like rock traps, the greens are very coarse and slow. The carts are likely third generation hand me downs. It is still a viable golf course though. It has 18 full size golf holes but they are crammed in behind and across the street from the hotels on the beach. You are actually playing along the mangroves and stinky ditches that hold brackish water and alligators (those I don't mind, they add local flavor).

The staff:
If you are lucky enough to find someone in the golf shop, they will likely make you feel like you have just been taken advantage of by the time you walk out. They quote you in US dollars but then convert everything in to Pesos using a ridiculous exchange rate then MAKE YOU pay in Pesos. Nevermind if you wish to purchase a souvenir. Nothing, NADA, ZILCH is for sale in the Pro shop.

If you play Marina, you are basically getting in 18 holes and paying for the longitude and lattitude.

Like I said, I played Palma Real as well on this trip. It was in very good, not exceptional shape. A local told me later that it had recently been mowed or we would not have been able to find our balls outside of the fairway. This was not the case when we played. It was beautiful. It was challenging. The carts were well maintaned. The caddies were very helpful. The beer cart came around on a regular basis and even ran a tab for us rather than demand payment for each round of drinks. Lots of alligators. Let the caddy look for your ball! The Pro shop did not have any merchandise either but the staff was actually helpful in trying to save us money by proactively demonstrating that we could pay less if we combine our rounds in to a package and pay up front. This proved to save us quite a bit and coming back 2 days later even without our proof of purchase was not an issue.

Visited October 2012

Mexico City, Mexico
20 attraction reviews
“Be patient and you will enjoy it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This a goverment run golf course so you have to know that you won´t find a fancy pro-shop or the blond sun-tanned golf pro.

However the golf course is really nice, is really clean, well kept and the caddies are really friendly.

Some of the holes are really nice and overall you will have a really nice time.

Try to get there really early on the morning or after 2pm since the weather could be extreme and the probabilities of a sunburn can be really high.

Visited October 2012
Winnipeg, Canada
6 attraction reviews
“Great Golf”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Beautiful challenging course, staff very friendly. Save money and buy 3 games or more if u can. Manager Guillermo is a fantastic guy. They clean your clubs and shoes for a $2 tip when done.

Visited February 2012
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
“Cost increases at Palma Real Ixtapa”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I have been going to Zihuatanejo for the last 14 years. We used to golf almost every day with 2 caddies (benefitting their families and their lives). The last 3 -5 years have seen golf costs go through the roof and as a couple spending two months there it has become too expensive to continue this acitivity. Our caddies and their families are the most amazing people and it breaks my heart that we can no longer continue to help support them through their services at the golf course. We have spoken many times to the management there to no avail - there is nobody on the course half the time and everyone is suffering for it - YEAH for the Government taking charge of this! They are driving tourists away!!

Visited March 2012
vancouver
7 attraction reviews
“Updated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Ok the new equipment has arrived. It was used for some time, and the greens are much better. Now what's going on. The heads at fonatur in Mexico city have not provided a budget for gas and diesel to run the machines. So disappointing. Now the tee boxes are like pasture. If they can't pay for gas. Maybe they should get burros. Another pet peeve is that they continually soak the bunkers because of poor irrigation. So either the sand is washed otu or it is wet concrete. I do notice they brought in new sand. But without fixing the irrigation why bother. I get my information from caddy and workers. All of this must be hard for the new gm. He keepsake brave face with no backing from his higher ups

Visited January 2012