“Another Great Stay At Las Brisas” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Las Brisas Resort Ixtapa

Save Saved
You added Las Brisas Resort Ixtapa to your Saves list
Las Brisas Resort Ixtapa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Playa Vistahermosa S/N | Colonia El Hujal Jose Azueta, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
$120 (USD)
Ranked #5 of 23 hotels in Ixtapa
Los Angeles, California
“Another Great Stay At Las Brisas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

This was our third stay at the Las Brisas and hopefully won't be the last. We spent eight days there in mid-April and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Amazing service, a very comfortable, newly refurbished room with the usual stunning ocean view from the large balcony, beautifully maintained grounds and an uncrowded beach. Taxi service from the hotel to Ixtapa is 40 pesos or to Zihuatanejo 70 pesos, where you can find dozens of restaurants in every price range should you decide to wander out of the resort, which we highly recommend. With tourism in general hurting, the wonderful people in both towns really appreciate your business. We highly recommend the Las Brisas and the Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo area in general.

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
HelloLBI, Manager at Las Brisas Resort Ixtapa, responded to this review, May 4, 2009
Dear Guest:

Your nice comments in regards to your stay at Las Brisas Ixtapa, are highly appreciated.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back in sunny Ixtapa.

Most sincerely,

850 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

The short version:

Certainly lots to like about this hotel, as per many other reviews. The rooms were stunning and the manicured sloping grounds leading to the private beach (no one selling your things) were beautiful. Yes it is isolated and removed from the main strip of hotels (not always a bad thing), which is a 20 minute walk or $3 cab. Food is expensive, and sometimes I don't want to spend $20 each for breakfast, that's just me. Problems with noise coming from the halls, problems with check in and extending our stay. The customer service, and business choices (in my experience) did not match the grandeur of the hotel or price. Also the elevators and common areas of halls could use some updating to match the quality and look of the rest of the hotel.

Long version:

1. Check in - we had some problems. It was Easter weekend, very busy, you could tell the front desk was stressed and the hotel was near full capacity. We were lead to our room (as per reservation) and walked in on a couple having a afternoon sleep on their bed, not fun for anyone. Back to the front desk we went. At this time I stood at the front desk for probably half an hour plus and little was said to me about what was going on and they were trying to find me a room. In the end I was upgraded to a beautiful suite as that's what was available. The room was great, really great but what would have been more professional would be sending us to the lounge, take a seat, and come get us once things are sorted out. I'm very patient, easy going and if something is going wrong, I'm the sort of customer you want as I'm not going to make a big fuss for no reason. That being said, no one likes standing around and being in the dark, and even less after arriving from the airport and being the weary traveler.

2. Noise - is a problem. The building is made of a form of concrete, and the common hall flooring is tiled. This creates a glorious environment for echoing noise. The morning sounds of children running up and down halls housekeeping carts rolling over seems in the tiles is amplified and bounces around, something that would be absorbed in a carpet for example. I'm a hard sleeper, fire alarms and clock radios are no match for my slumber and yet I found these noises jarring and intrusive. Oh speaking of clock radios, I don't think there was one or a clock in my room at all; Odd.

3. Check out - We had booked two nights through an internet travel site that I have used in many cities and countries. I got a great price, like really great. This site (and past experience) gives you the option of extending your stay for the price you're paying if you tell them X number of hours before check out. The night before we were to leave, decided to extend our stay by one more night. Long story short both the night and day staff seemed to be perplexed by this extending idea, and suggested instead I do it on the internet. The other option was to pay 5x my current rate for the upgraded suite I was in, or 3x the current rate for what would have been my original room. I asked if the hotel was still fully booked, they said no. So I could go into many reasons this is bad business. Of course the customer service aspect of just keeping me happy and hell, they didn't even offer me a computer to go online to extend my stay. The business side does not even make sense, they decided to keep a room empty, losing money instead of extending my rate and keeping me on the grounds and paying for services (ie restaurants).

Basically this is a case of "sorry sir, the computer will not let me" which always irks me. I hate it when the computer is treated like that the word of god or law or nature and in no way can be worked around. In the end I was on vacation, and I was not interested in working or fighting more for the privilege of spending more money there and I departed to my next destination.

Summary:

Again lots to like in this hotel, and my negative experience was probably isolated but none the less left a sour taste in my mouth. I feel this is a case of staff being trained to strictly follow black and white rules, but when things go wrong in life, peoples feelings or impressions are involved, that does not always work in a service industry.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
HelloLBI, Manager at Las Brisas Resort Ixtapa, responded to this review, April 23, 2009
Dear Guest:

First of all, let me thank you for the comments outlined in your kind review.

Please accept our apology for not meeting your expectations. Rest assure that we will be working very close with the Departments involved in order to improve our opportunity areas.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in Las Brisas Ixtapa.

Cordially,

Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

Spent 10 days there early April. We love this property – providing a private beach, lovely pool areas and great large terrace balconies with ocean views. The rooms have recently been updated providing a more European feel with down duvets on the beds and walk in showers. The staff are very friendly, helpful and accommodating. We upgraded to Club Room and felt it was very good value – Luiza who oversees its morning continental breakfast and evening cocktails operation is exceptional – so welcoming and great service with a smile.
One of the many things I like about this hotel is that it is exceptionally clean, staff are constantly washing down the floors. The only suggestion I would make is to trim the trees around the adult pool to provide a bit of an ocean view as seen from some of the other pool areas. This was our seventh time back at Las Brisas, Ixtapa (first when it was a Westin). Again a wonderful stay and we will definitely return.

Dear Guest:

It is good to receive nice reviews like yours. We are continuously focusing our efforts to improve our services and facilities as our main objective is the satisfaction of our guests.

Thank you for your suggestion and loyalty to Las Brisas Ixtapa.

san francisco, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

The hotel was fabulous! Yes, there are lots of stairs around the property, but it has a private beach away from the other hotels, and the rooms have wonderful views of the cove and ocean. It was amazing to swing in the hammock and listen to the waves. The rooms were a little warm (we had the fan and air con on full the whole time), but it was 90 degrees and very humid outside. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. They even helped me with a fax/computer before the business center was open. Will definitely recommend this property!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
HelloLBI, Manager at Las Brisas Resort Ixtapa, responded to this review, April 16, 2009
Dear Guest:

We were pleased to have you as our guests at Las Brisas Ixtapa.

Thank you for your nice review.

Look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

This was our third visit to the Las Brisas. In the past we have loved it for its beauty and the quiet, relaxing days we have spent on the beach. This time, we couldn't help but feel it had changed. It appears that the bad global economy has impacted the hotel, and they have changed their customer service focus from the individual guest to convention and conference groups. Unfortunately, at least in our opinion, the two don't appear to be compatible. Here are the problems we encountered:

I had emailed the Reservations Manager well before our arrival requesting a range of rooms on the Brisas Beach Club floors. I received a reply back saying the hotel would make every effort to accommodate us. So imagine my surprise when we arrived and they had no record of our reservation at all. The front desk clerk asked for my printed-out exchange of e mails with the Reservations Manager and I gave it to him, assuming that he wanted it to make sure the matter was addressed - but we never had any kind of apology or follow up at all. We received a Beach Club room, but it was in one of the very noisy locations we had hoped to avoid. In addition, the Beach Club floors are supposed to be adults only. We saw at least five children in rooms on our floor.

As I said, we go to the Las Brisas for a beach vacation; we look forward all year to our one week of hanging out in a palapa on the beach. This year the Las Brisas set up for 100 of their convention/conference guests to have lunches and/or dinners on the beach for three of the seven days we were there. This took half of the palapas on the beach out of commission and disrupted the peace and quiet that we and the other beach-goers were there to enjoy.

In addition, on the nights of these conventions' "Farewell Dinners", they would inevitably tie one on and be incredibly noisy in the public areas of the hotel into the wee hours of the morning. The hotel seemingly made no effort to control them, at the expense of the other paying guests.

I'll close by saying that we were disappointed in our stay; it was not the relaxing, quiet and stress-free time we had hoped for and had experienced at the Las Brisas in the past. The physical things have not changed: the hotel is in a beautiful, private location and the views can't be beat. But the new focus on catering to groups instead of the individual guest will have us looking elsewhere for a place to spend our beach vacation next year.

Dear Guest:

We read your kind comments about your recent stay in our property.

We are very sorry that on this occasion you were not at all comfortable, due to the convention we had during the days of your stay.

I hope you will understand our position as the tourism industry exists thanks to the business of our individual and groups/convention clientele. Not all the times there is convention at the hotel, so we suggest to you to call us when you would like to reserve, in order to inform you if we do not have a convention on the dates you are planning to come.

Thank you in advance for your comprehension.

Cordially,

Vancouver. B.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

For the last 9 years my husband & I have been traveliing to Mexico at least once a year to an all inclusve resort that offers a competitive rate. We decided on Las Brisas after reading the trip advisory reviews. We have pretty active life styles but enjoyed the peace and quiet that Las Brisas offered. We were treated like royality!! The service was incredible and everyone extremely friendly. The restaurants were excellent (fine dining every night). The menus did come with prices (expensive) , so thank goodness for the all inclusive! We always had excellent service at the pool or beach and they served beer in bottles (not plastic cups like most all inclusives.) The hotel is built on a hill and has alot of stairs from the beach to the lobby or your room. But we loved that ( justified all our eating and drinking!!) We did use the gym which was adequate but it could use some free weights and maybe an elliptical machine that works! (Not that we go on a holiday to spend all our time in the gym). The beach in front of the hotel is seperate from "hotel row" but just a short walk to the neighbouring hotel and you could walk 3 kilometers (6 there and back) of one of the most beautiful beaches in Mexico! The surf is rough though, better to swim in the pool. There is no entertainment or organized pool areobics, sports or games. Just beautiful serenity! We like to always try new places but this resort was by far our favourite and we plan to go back next year!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
HelloLBI, Manager at Las Brisas Resort Ixtapa, responded to this review, April 14, 2009
Dear Guest:

We appreciate you have chosen Las Brisas Ixtapa for your recent stay.

We are an European Plan hotel, but according to our guests’ requirements, we are offering all and semi inclusive plans and they are having great demand as our menus are a la carte.

Thank you for your preference and look forward to see you soon in Ixtapa.

Whitefish Bay, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

We had high expectations for Las Brisas, based on the reviews of family and friends who have stayed there. Our expectations were exceeded and we will go back there the next time we visit the Ixtapa area.

From the moment we arrived at Las Brisas, to the moment we left, we encountered hotel staffers who were extremely friendly and helpful. Our room (19th floor - right over lobby bar) was simple but nice (clean and nicely furnished - the A/C works well) and did not have any of that 1970's decor that you get in many Mexican hotel rooms. Nice bathroom. The view is amazing and the fairly large balcony allows you to lay in a hammock, enjoy drinks or breakfast, or even catch some sun -- all while staring out at the sea. We had just reserved the basic Euro-style room but had put in a request via our expedia.com reservation that we'd prefer a higher-floor room -- the hotel satisfied that request without any further request from us. Granted, tourism is slower right now and they did not seem to be sold out, but it's still nice they fulfilled our simple request without pressuring us to upgrade rooms. Rooms located under the 14th floor may have partially obstructed views as the treeline creeps up. The 19th floor is directly over the lobby and lobby bar, so we did get some noise two different nights but overall the hotel was very quiet. The hotel's setting is lush and beautiful - like being surrounded by a rain forest. Because of it's unique structure, there are steep staircases throughout the property so it's a must to bring good walking sandals. The great thing about the stairs is that you have built-in exercise to offset all of the eating and drinking! Here are some additional specifics:
Pools - very unique and nicely cared for. Not in perfect shape but those who say the pools are run-down are being a bit picky. You don't get much view of the ocean from the pools since they are surrounded by lush trees/flowers, but the pools provide a nice break from the beach and it's a lovely setting. Highly recommend the "fish hamburger" on the pool menu - it's the best lunch item we had. Had no problem getting chairs at all and it was nice and quiet by the pools - it helps that there is one large pool that does not allow children.
Beach - the private beach is awesome, especially if you've been to Ixtapa beach and experienced the annoying vendors and busier crowds. Had no problem getting a palapa each day and the service was great in terms of drinks and food being offered - brought right to you. Recommend the shrimp tacos. Do not recommend the Cuban sandwich (it's got hot dogs on it if that gives you any indication). While the surf is strong and they don't want you risking the undertow by going out past the breakers, some people still did swim out and we enjoyed just playing in the waves closer to the water's edge....still cools you off and allows you to enjoy the ocean. The beach is pretty short to offer much exercise from walking, but it is fun to go to either end and check out some wildlife (we saw two giant mongoose and someone else we talked to saw a giant iguana). The sand is really nice. It's a good beach to use boogie-boards (for kids or adults that like to act like kids!).
Restaurants - we only went to Las Brisas II for dinner, our first night. We were pretty disappointed because we'd heard that was the best one at the hotel. The food was very mediocre and it was way over-priced for what it was. However, the setting is beautiful and the service was great. Otherwise, we had the breakfast buffet a few mornings and it's worth the cost and good food. More often we did room service and just split the basic breakfast off that menu - it was plenty for two people and is a way better bargain than the brunch -- and you can enjoy it on your balcony looking out at the ocean! As mentioned, the pool/beach food is good for the most part (again, reco the "fish hamburger"). The two-for-one happy hours at sunset in the bar off the hotel lobby are nice - very mellow and good deal (6-7pm). Never went to the "club" at the hotel, but there is a loungey bar located in the depths of the hotel and it stays open until midnight or so.
Other - we really enjoyed taking advantage of the yoga class they offered on Fri/Sat mornings - the instructor was wonderful! Also, the tennis courts are really nice and we enjoyed taking advantage of that (go in the early morning before it gets too hot - but the courts are shaded, luckily.) We had no problem getting free wireless internet access on our Blackberry, in the room. They charge you to use their computers in the business center, so wireless is the way to go if you have a device with you to check e-mail. At some point you'll want to hit a nearby market to pick up a few odds and ends - such as water. While all of the water at the hotel is filtered, you still don't really want to be drinking out of the taps. In your room they give you two small bottles of water free, but then charge you for larger bottles. Better to walk down to Ixtapa and hit a market (yes, you can walk to Ixtapa easily. It's a bit of an uphill walk on the way back, but not bad. Sidewalks the entire way.). You can't get a same day newspaper at the hotel, fyi. Highly recommend the restaurant Villa de La Selva, which is right down the street from Las Brisas and you can walk there and back (we did and it was super easy).

All in all, it's a beautiful hotel for the price you pay and is located in a great spot if you want a private beach and an easy walk to Ixtapa or a quick cab ride to Zihuat. We took a taxi to Zihuat several evenings and there was always a taxi at the front of the hotel waiting to take us. The views from the rooms and hotel itself are spectactular. The guests are a mix of young/older couples, a few families with kids, and then some random groups - there was a convention of doctors there when we were there. It's NOT a hotel for crazy spring breakers, unless those spring breakers want to mellow out and just relax and save the partying for going into Ixtapa at night.

We will go back to Las Brisas the next time we visit the Ixtapa area - best experience for the money and unique hotel experience.

Dear Guest:

We were delighted to know that your expectations were exceeded while your stay at Las Brisas Ixtapa.

Your positive comments encourage us to continue improving our services and facilities.

Thank you for your preference and hope to welcome you back soon.

The Management.

Been to Las Brisas Resort Ixtapa? Share your experiences!