“Exceptional Luxury at it's best!” 5 of 5 stars

Capella Ixtapa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo Playa Linda, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 23 hotels in Ixtapa
Mexico City, Mexico
“Exceptional Luxury at it's best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

What an incredible place! I have had the pleasure of staying here on two separate occasions, each time exceeding all possible expectations. The rooms are small, but incredibly comfortable. Bathrooms are huge and very luxurious. The views are truly breathtaking, and the very best part is the terrace and private pool. Although the other hotel facilities are top notch, I could easily spend the better part of my day enjoying the privacy and tranquility of my room, terrace and pool.

The food is also fantastic, simple but fresh and delicious. Room service was a must, but the restaurant was very nice. Complimentary guacamole is delivered each afternoon to the rooms. Service was excellent, not overbearing, but very attentive. Pool area was wonderful, infinity pool with spectacular views. Spa was also great, beautiful facility and great service.

Only had one problem due to a small issue with the bathroom which was quickly resolved by moving me to an even more beautiful room.

Also, the only drawback is there is no beach. This however becomes a non issue due to everything else. The views and proximity to the ocean make up for this.

Another major plus is that they do not have check-in our check-out times. You can check in as early as you want, and check out as late as you want (within reason), which is a huge benefit. Don't know any other hotel that offers this.

Capella Ixtapa is an all time favorite, highly recommended! Can't wait to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Appreciated guest:

On behalf of all the staff at Capella Ixtapa I want to thank you for selecting Capella Ixtapa as your vacation destination. I am pleased to know that you had a wonderful time during your stay.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience during your stay at Capella Ixtapa. Your feedback is very valuable to us.

We truly hope the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

402 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Little Rock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary with a weekend trip to Capella Ixtapa last weekend. I can't say enough positive things about the resort and its staff. I realized soon after checking in that I forgot sunscreen, and called the front desk to see if they sold it in their resort store. The store employee actually came up to our room with different bottles for me to choose from, and I never even had to leave our balcony!

Because of a great deal on sniqueaway.com, we stayed in one of the penthouses, which ended up being the best part of the trip. The large outdoor living area had loungers in the shade and in the sun, with fans, and we had our own private plunge pool. We had drinks and sushi at the terrace bar every night, which was delicious, and we ate at both restaurants. The sushi was perfect but I thought the restuarants were overpriced, especially if you plan to stay longer than we did.

We would love to go back and highly recommend the resort!

Appreciated guest:

I am honored you selected Capella Ixtapa to celebrate your wedding anniversary. Thank you for your positive review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the suite and the private plunge pool. We work hard to ensure the highest level of service and comfort

Thank you in advance for recommending us.
We hope to welcome you back soon!

Orangeburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Went there for my honeymoon and I think there couldn't have been a better place to zone out and treat yourself. After a less than glamorous 25 minute ride from the airport which takes you through the dirty and dodgy Zihua, you arrive in Ixtapa that has been modernized and landscaped. Then, the resort itself is unbelievable. Open air everything set into a cliff along the Pacific. Service is impeccable and the food is all amazing. However, your room is a total oasis. We fell asleep every night under the stars in our outdoor "bed", then would get up and go to bed in probably the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. The smells coming from the ocean and spa themed resort are hard to explain, but intoxicating...as are the freshly made agave margaritas. Try them all!

Two drawbacks: it is expensive for everything. Got a bottle of wine for dinner one night that was $90, which we have in our local grocery store for $9-$12. However, all food was excellent and their specialty drinks are awesome! Second drawback was that we went during their slow time, so some of the services weren't available. But, this meant out of the 50 rooms only 11 were occupied, so we literally felt like we owned the place. Seemed like the kind of place where you may turn the corner and run into Brad Pitt trying to escape

• Stayed April 2013
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Appreciated guest:

I am honored you selected Capella Ixtapa to celebrate your honeymoon. I am glad you found our property to be unbelievable. How wonderful that you fell asleep every night under the stars.

We regret to hear you were disappointed in some aspects of your visit. I will be sharing your comments with the team as we continue on our mission to deliver outstanding service.

We hope to see you soon here again for your anniversary.

Best Regards,

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is our second time to Capella Ixtapa and the service was even better than the last time. We were so amaze that the staffs remember our names from the previous visit. This time, we met a wonderful lady as our Personal Assistant, small in size but she has a big wonderful heart and a strong spirit. One of the best parts of our trip was taking the couples cooking class with the chef. What a unique experience and the chef did a great job with the class. By the way, we think that this is a new activity. My husband and I are planning to return to Capella Ixtapa every year. The food, service, room, amenities, they are consistently great in all aspect. We will always recommend this resort to our friend!

Hola Amigos!!

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you again. We are indeed thrilled you enjoyed your couples cooking class with the chef it is an unforgettable and lovely experience.

On behalf of all the staff at Capella Ixtapa, thank you for your loyalty. We will continue working hard to provide a first class service and we all will be more than happy to have the honor to welcome you again soon.

We are looking forward to your next visit

Best Regards,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We have traveled all over the world looking for a getaway place where we can truly relax and enjoy our vacation. The service at this resort is just terrific, you feel truly welcome by the staff every single day. We were more impressed with the attention to detail, the name recognition, and the natural warm from the people. You just don’t find that anymore!!! We will highly recommend your resort. Thank you for a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Appreciated guest:

I am pleased to know you had a great time with us and that we created a memorable experience for you. Thank you for your possitive review.

We would to love to see you again at Capella Ixtapa and have the pleasure to assist you again.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I recently spent six nights and seven days at Capella Ixtapa as a solo traveler. I stayed in a Capella Deluxe Ocean-Front Suite on the Classic Capella Package. To say that my stay at Capella Ixtapa was like stumbling onto happiness is not an understatement, by any means.

The Hotel
Everything about the location, layout and amenities are built around providing you complete and utter relaxation. This hotel truly understands the meaning of accommodation. The suite was tastefully appointed with: majestic ocean views, extremely comfortable seating, a luxurious bed, plenty of ambient lighting and entertainment options, chic decor and your own plunge pool! Because this is a boutique hotel nestled onto the side of a mountain, you have complete privacy and feel like you've truly stumbled onto a well-kept secret. The two common pools are incredible; with the salt-water pool providing a more private experience. My spa experience was amazing and felt authentic, with top-notch service, staff and amenities.

The Food
The breakfast package is a great deal since you get to try something new every day. As other reviewers have stated, this is not your run-of-the-mill continental buffet. It's filling and provides so many options. You get to choose a different main dish and it is served complete with toast, coffee, fruit and juice. The Mexican Scramble is the best! You also get a happy hour treat every day at 5pm, consisting of chips, fresh guacamole and beer, delivered to your room. If you get to try the restaurants, I highly recommend the sushi at Terrace Bar. The poolside restaurant, Las Rocas, also makes a mean fish tacos. Every meal enjoyed on the property was an exciting culinary experience that did not disappoint.

The People
After working for 12 months straight without taking any vacation, I needed a solo trip that would allow me to reconnect with myself, catch up on sleep and decompress from my hectic NYC-life. And the amazing people at Capella Ixtapa were instrumental in this respect. From the moment you arrive, you're appointed a personal assistant and everyone learns your name and without being intrusive are able to anticipate your needs. I had the pleasure of meeting so many wonderful people who were so helpful and friendly. But one individual was the most helpful: Margarita, who by far was the friendliest face I encountered.

I've never had the experience of returning home as rejuvenated as I did after my stay at Capella Ixtapa. Usually, you need a vacation from your vacation! This place was magical, romantic (even thought I went solo) and peaceful. I know that I will return, because it was that wonderful... Thank you Capella Ixtapa! I'll see you next year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

we just returned from dinner at Capella's FISH MARKET restaurant in Ixtapa. Beautiful setting , mediocre food ,so-so service . Big surprise came when we received the bill and was charged for an extra bottle of wine as well as an extra entree for a total of $95 . Thank goodness we checked our bill or we would have ended up paying for additional items that were not ours . Unfortunately we left with the feeling that our bill had been intentionally "padded" ....Would never recommend this place to anyone !!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Capella Ixtapa? Share your experiences!