“Perfect Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 23 hotels in Ixtapa
Little Rock
“Perfect Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary with a weekend trip to Capella Ixtapa last weekend. I can't say enough positive things about the resort and its staff. I realized soon after checking in that I forgot sunscreen, and called the front desk to see if they sold it in their resort store. The store employee actually came up to our room with different bottles for me to choose from, and I never even had to leave our balcony!

Because of a great deal on sniqueaway.com, we stayed in one of the penthouses, which ended up being the best part of the trip. The large outdoor living area had loungers in the shade and in the sun, with fans, and we had our own private plunge pool. We had drinks and sushi at the terrace bar every night, which was delicious, and we ate at both restaurants. The sushi was perfect but I thought the restuarants were overpriced, especially if you plan to stay longer than we did.

We would love to go back and highly recommend the resort!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Appreciated guest:

I am honored you selected Capella Ixtapa to celebrate your wedding anniversary. Thank you for your positive review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the suite and the private plunge pool. We work hard to ensure the highest level of service and comfort

Thank you in advance for recommending us.
We hope to welcome you back soon!

402 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Orangeburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Went there for my honeymoon and I think there couldn't have been a better place to zone out and treat yourself. After a less than glamorous 25 minute ride from the airport which takes you through the dirty and dodgy Zihua, you arrive in Ixtapa that has been modernized and landscaped. Then, the resort itself is unbelievable. Open air everything set into a cliff along the Pacific. Service is impeccable and the food is all amazing. However, your room is a total oasis. We fell asleep every night under the stars in our outdoor "bed", then would get up and go to bed in probably the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. The smells coming from the ocean and spa themed resort are hard to explain, but intoxicating...as are the freshly made agave margaritas. Try them all!

Two drawbacks: it is expensive for everything. Got a bottle of wine for dinner one night that was $90, which we have in our local grocery store for $9-$12. However, all food was excellent and their specialty drinks are awesome! Second drawback was that we went during their slow time, so some of the services weren't available. But, this meant out of the 50 rooms only 11 were occupied, so we literally felt like we owned the place. Seemed like the kind of place where you may turn the corner and run into Brad Pitt trying to escape

• Stayed April 2013
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Appreciated guest:

I am honored you selected Capella Ixtapa to celebrate your honeymoon. I am glad you found our property to be unbelievable. How wonderful that you fell asleep every night under the stars.

We regret to hear you were disappointed in some aspects of your visit. I will be sharing your comments with the team as we continue on our mission to deliver outstanding service.

We hope to see you soon here again for your anniversary.

Best Regards,

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is our second time to Capella Ixtapa and the service was even better than the last time. We were so amaze that the staffs remember our names from the previous visit. This time, we met a wonderful lady as our Personal Assistant, small in size but she has a big wonderful heart and a strong spirit. One of the best parts of our trip was taking the couples cooking class with the chef. What a unique experience and the chef did a great job with the class. By the way, we think that this is a new activity. My husband and I are planning to return to Capella Ixtapa every year. The food, service, room, amenities, they are consistently great in all aspect. We will always recommend this resort to our friend!

Hola Amigos!!

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you again. We are indeed thrilled you enjoyed your couples cooking class with the chef it is an unforgettable and lovely experience.

On behalf of all the staff at Capella Ixtapa, thank you for your loyalty. We will continue working hard to provide a first class service and we all will be more than happy to have the honor to welcome you again soon.

We are looking forward to your next visit

Best Regards,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We have traveled all over the world looking for a getaway place where we can truly relax and enjoy our vacation. The service at this resort is just terrific, you feel truly welcome by the staff every single day. We were more impressed with the attention to detail, the name recognition, and the natural warm from the people. You just don’t find that anymore!!! We will highly recommend your resort. Thank you for a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Appreciated guest:

I am pleased to know you had a great time with us and that we created a memorable experience for you. Thank you for your possitive review.

We would to love to see you again at Capella Ixtapa and have the pleasure to assist you again.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I recently spent six nights and seven days at Capella Ixtapa as a solo traveler. I stayed in a Capella Deluxe Ocean-Front Suite on the Classic Capella Package. To say that my stay at Capella Ixtapa was like stumbling onto happiness is not an understatement, by any means.

The Hotel
Everything about the location, layout and amenities are built around providing you complete and utter relaxation. This hotel truly understands the meaning of accommodation. The suite was tastefully appointed with: majestic ocean views, extremely comfortable seating, a luxurious bed, plenty of ambient lighting and entertainment options, chic decor and your own plunge pool! Because this is a boutique hotel nestled onto the side of a mountain, you have complete privacy and feel like you've truly stumbled onto a well-kept secret. The two common pools are incredible; with the salt-water pool providing a more private experience. My spa experience was amazing and felt authentic, with top-notch service, staff and amenities.

The Food
The breakfast package is a great deal since you get to try something new every day. As other reviewers have stated, this is not your run-of-the-mill continental buffet. It's filling and provides so many options. You get to choose a different main dish and it is served complete with toast, coffee, fruit and juice. The Mexican Scramble is the best! You also get a happy hour treat every day at 5pm, consisting of chips, fresh guacamole and beer, delivered to your room. If you get to try the restaurants, I highly recommend the sushi at Terrace Bar. The poolside restaurant, Las Rocas, also makes a mean fish tacos. Every meal enjoyed on the property was an exciting culinary experience that did not disappoint.

The People
After working for 12 months straight without taking any vacation, I needed a solo trip that would allow me to reconnect with myself, catch up on sleep and decompress from my hectic NYC-life. And the amazing people at Capella Ixtapa were instrumental in this respect. From the moment you arrive, you're appointed a personal assistant and everyone learns your name and without being intrusive are able to anticipate your needs. I had the pleasure of meeting so many wonderful people who were so helpful and friendly. But one individual was the most helpful: Margarita, who by far was the friendliest face I encountered.

I've never had the experience of returning home as rejuvenated as I did after my stay at Capella Ixtapa. Usually, you need a vacation from your vacation! This place was magical, romantic (even thought I went solo) and peaceful. I know that I will return, because it was that wonderful... Thank you Capella Ixtapa! I'll see you next year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

we just returned from dinner at Capella's FISH MARKET restaurant in Ixtapa. Beautiful setting , mediocre food ,so-so service . Big surprise came when we received the bill and was charged for an extra bottle of wine as well as an extra entree for a total of $95 . Thank goodness we checked our bill or we would have ended up paying for additional items that were not ours . Unfortunately we left with the feeling that our bill had been intentionally "padded" ....Would never recommend this place to anyone !!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Issaquah, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I just spent 7 nights at Capella Ixtapa and it was amazing - everything the other reviewers have said and more.

I'll just note a couple things:
-- I'd recommend paying for the Capella Deluxe Ocean front Jr. Suite - ours was on the 6th floor (only the penthouse suites are above it). We had complete privacy and for the most part, couldn't even hear the other guests. These rooms also have the outdoor day bed, which is where we spent most of our time. If we had one of the rooms with just two chairs outside, or a covered patio, we probably would have spent more time at the pool.
-- As others have said, the food is excellent! We bought the package that included breakfast. This isn't a typical hotel's free buffet/continental breakfast - they will let you order whatever you want off the menu. We typically ordered room service for lunch and split one of the sandwiches - that was plenty to hold us over until the 5:00 chips/guac, then a later dinner. We rotated between the Terrace Bar & the Seafood Market for dinner - both are very good. We'd usually order a couple small plates at the bar - with us each having a drink, the total was typically right around $70. The seafood market is a little more expensive, between $90-120 for the two of us, but you get a prix-fix menu that includes soup, ceviche, salad & your entree with two sides. To give you an idea, we were there for 7 nights (8 days) and spent $1k on food. It would have been really easy to spent significantly more if we drank more. Note, they charge $9 for a bottle of water at the restaurants, but give you all you can drink for free in your room. After the first night, we just went without water at dinner and had an (amazing) margarita or sangria.
-- We only left the hotel once to run down to Ixtapa and get some snacks (100 peso ($8.25) cab ride each way). Other than that, we didn't feel compelled to explore Ixtapa or Zihua. For us, this was a week without our two kids, so the goal was relaxation. If you want to do a lot of activities or to go explore a bunch, I'd recommend staying somewhere else where you don't pay the premium for a room that you don't want to leave. There are a lot of things to do around Ixtapa/Zihua, but we were completely satisfied sitting on our patio all day enjoying the sun and our pool. We only went down to the main pool twice because with our own private spot, there was really no need to.
-- We had underestimated how nice it is to stay at a smaller hotel with quiet and privacy. We've typically stayed at big resorts and thought we liked the people watching & activities. Capella has now spoiled us and I'm not sure we'd go back to a big resort unless it is a family vacation.

We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Spring for the Capella Deluxe Ocean Front Jr Suite - well worth it to be on one of the top floors.