“Paradise..."Benga!"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Capella Ixtapa

You added Capella Ixtapa to your Saves list
Capella Ixtapa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo Punta Ixtapa S/N | Zona Hotelera II Playa Linda, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Fort McMurray, AB, Canada
“Paradise..."Benga!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Spectacular hotel...wow! I have stayed in alot of resort properties, but this was the nicest by far.
Service was perfect from the time of arrival to the minute we departed. Pleasant, helpful and wonderful staff.
Room was beautiful with amazing Onyx lighting, soft colors, big bathroom, soft bed, nice furnishings. Always perfect housekeeping with great turndown.
Daily 5pm Chips, guac and salsa with beer was a welcome treat.
Restaurants were...incredible. The freshest fish, best cerviche, best breakfasts, best coffee...oh the list of best just doesn't stop. Oh yeah BEST MARGARITAS!
Chef Alex was gracious, friendly and talented. Pool staff were amazing, serving drinks the second you were thirsty, stopping by with frozen treats, and keeping the area perfect.
Guests in the hotel are well heeled professionals, mostly from Mexico and some from US/Canada. Not a good place for kids as this is a top tier couples retreat...not an all inclusive family resort. Seniors would have trouble with the stairs (even though the 6 floor funicular lift makes going up and down the 6 levels easy).

Tips:
- Spend alot of time at the pool...paradise in the cabana.
- Isla Grande is a 40 minute walk (or 5 min taxi) to the north, water taxi to a beautiful trpoical island with snorkelling and restaurants...well worth the effort.
- Restaurants are amazing
- Drinks are amazing
- Sunset catamaran cruise is well woth it...really fun
- Zihua is a great place to spend a few nights in a place that is more authentic mexican
- Ixtapa is overpriced/poor quality in general, bypass it and just go to Zihua

Cons
- nothing...really, nothing

WARNING
Do not go here expecting a party nightlife, kids playzones, cheap drinks, cheap buffets, etc. This is an expensive, couples romatic getaway. Prices for breakfast/lunch/dinner were easily $50/$100/$200USD every day. Drinks at the pool were $10-14USD each.
These prices fit the quality and service you'd expect...well worth it.

Room Tip: Our room was the regular deluxe suite (without the infinity edge terrace pool). It was amazing. If y...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

The best service I have seen. In a few words, the chef made a special yogurt ice cream for my wife because she was on a special diet, and then he offered me a Hannukiah to light my handles in Hannukah. The view is amazing, the pool is great, the food is great. Worth the price.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
columbus, ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Capella is perfect in every way. The staff go above and beyond to make every detail of your stay exactly how you want it. Some days we wouldn't even leave our room until the evening because we didn't have to! The private pool, the incredible view, the quick room service - we never have felt more relaxed and at ease. In fact, the one time we actually left the resort to explore Zihuatenejo, we quickly realized it wasn't necessary to leave again!

My only complaint is that the cocktails were pretty weak for the price (and for the fact that we were in Mexico). Otherwise, Capella really couldn't be any better! Every detail of the resort was so well contemplated to create an atmosphere of serenity. The smells, the architecture, the service, the complimentary guacamole and beers every evening - we really couldn't have asked for anything more. I really can't say enough good things about Capella - it's one of the most beautiful properties I've ever seen in my life and everyone should have the chance to see it at least once.

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I recently visited Capella for my husband's birthday. I can't say enough great things about this resort. The staff was wonderful. Our personal assistant Andres was awesome. I contacted him via email prior to our arrival to make some menu requests. He immediately wrote me back and acknowledged my requests and made certain everything was in place upon our arrival. All of the staff is so friendly and service oriented. They are hospitable and warm. The grounds are impeccable. The pictures capture the beauty but once you get there it's even better. The chips and guacamole were a hit. They serve those as a snack to each room at 5:00. All of the staff is great. The manager of the spa Valentino was very nice. All of the wait staff- Jorge, Fernando, Cruz, were spectacular. Sarah and Juan Carlos were very nice at the front desk. While we were there it was very quiet-not many people which was great for relaxing. The food was impeccable. The main chef Sr. Branch was very talented and created beautiful vegan/vegetarian meals for us. The chefs at breakfast created beautiful meals each morning too. We loved it here. We would recommend this place to other couples. We plan to visit again. Now I see why Capella won an award from Trip Advisor....it is top notch.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We just returned from our honeymoon in Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa. We stayed one week in Zihuatanejo and one week in Ixtapa at Capella. Capella was amazing – the service was impeccable, the food was outstanding (we had dinner at A Mares, the fancier restaurant the last we were there and it was one of the best meals we’ve ever had), the views are incredible and the rooms are beautiful. We had a Capella Deluxe Oceanfront Junior Suite on the 5th floor, it was very private and we loved having the terrace and the pool wasn’t shaded so it stayed very warm. All of the staff was very accommodating and helpful, especially Erwin at the front desk and Margarita at Las Rocas. I suppose the only downside is that there isn’t much in Ixtapa as far as restaurants and areas to just walk around at night, but we had already stayed in Zihuatanejo for a week and got to see a lot of that area, which is a really cute town with good restaurants and nightlife so we were ok with just staying in at Capella at night. Zihua is close enough that you could take a taxi there at night too.The food was so good at Capella that we didn’t really want to leave. We highly recommend Capella for honeymooners or just a nice relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: The deluxe capella suite is worth the upgrade!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

So I came in March, I think around memorial day 2012. I had not taken a trip in like 2 years (ridiculous, I know) and decided to spurge a little on just talking a tropical vacation alone. Just some rest and relaxation and maybe a tan. I called the day before arriving and I guess it was a low season and they upgraded my room to the Penthouse...here we go .. BEST TRIP EVER.

I can't say enough good things about Capella Ixtapa! The staff was incredible. ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE. "I need a cab here" "i want to scuba dive tomorrow" ANYTHING, done and done and charged to your room. (FYI be careful, if you are on a budget! One can go crazy here)

All three restaurants were fabulous, my fave was Las Rocas. All food on the menus can be sent to your room as well.

Also, there was such genuine warmth there. I ended up making friends with some of the bartenders and they took care of me the entire time.

I honestly do not have a single complaint and I will be coming back at least once a year alone or with friends or family. This place is the definition of paradise. I totally still tear up when I think of how beautiful it was and what a wonderful experience I had.

Room Tip: i stayed in the penthouse so i'm kind of spoiled on this one but I would assume all are amazing...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Great service, what you pay it's what you get,,,,, excellent !!!!!came here for my aniversary and it was worth it, you can use the steam room, gym, jacuzzi in the spagor free, you get free bikes to cruise around town, free drinks and snaks at several times during the day....... And you have your personal butler .......great food, has 5 diamonds in one of its restaurant .....love it

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Capella Ixtapa? Share your experiences!