“Romantic Get-away” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 29 hotels in Ixtapa
Atlanta, Georgia
“Romantic Get-away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I had never taken "sun" vacations since we are not sun-worshippers but our trip to this exceptional hotel has made us rethink future vacations!
Beautifully decorated suites with ability for open air ventilation, our own private balcony overlooking water and private infinity pool off our balcony are just a few of the reasons we still talk about this trip a few years later.
Staff is professional and courteous adding to the absolute relaxation and get-away atmosphere.
We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for one with infinity pool but truly they all would have a private feel!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

374 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just went there with my wife.

It is one of those experiences you wish you could make a routine.

Rooms are great, food is awesome but the service is just spectacular.

Truly a vacation for the senses, beginning with the aromas in the Lobby and the room, the views from everywhere, hearing the sea washing the rocks just beneath the hotel, savoring great food, even the textures inside the room.

Advice: Have dinner in any of the restaurants, otherwise don´t leave your room. You have a small relaxing pool inside and you can order room service at the same cost you will get in the "public" pool.

Room Tip: Lower rooms are closer to the sea and the sound of the waves should be greater.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband and I spent a week at Capella Ixtapa in August - Our time there was, without a doubt, the most relaxing vacation either of us had ever taken! The staff at Capella are what make this resort truly stand out above the rest. Our room was perfect and the views are not done justice by the pictures online. We spent many afternoon in our plunge pool and on our veranda reading and enjoying the sun and the peace and quiet.

The food overall was very good - We enjoyed all the restaurants during our stay. Breakfast tended to be my favorite, while my husband was fond of the tapas at the terrace bar. We had one disappointing dining event the evening the terrace bar offered a sushi special. We we arrived they'd run out of rice, and in attempting to make another batch had made extraordinarily sweet, overly mushy rice. We took advantage of a special event at the seafood market - the food and the views were amazing.

We both enjoyed a treatment at the spa and it was lovely. I didn't totally relax during my massage because the rooms was exceptionally bright (and I guess I"m used to dimmed massage rooms) but the masseuse was talented and responded well to my requests.

We ventured into Ixtapa and Zihua - While it was nice I didn't feel there was anything spectacular to either of them, and on the whole we preferred the relaxation of the resort.

I cannot say enough good things about our stay at Capella and we certainly hope to return!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and myself visited Capella, July of this year to celebrate my husband's birthday. We stayed there for 5 days and I can honestly stay that those 5 days were one of my best 5 days of vacation ever! The only other place that would tie with this vacation would be the over water bungalows we stayed in during our honeymoon in Maldives :).

The extremely competent and friendly staff greet you right at the airport and from there on its just like stepping into paradise.

When we stepped into the lobby, our jaws dropped taking in the view. See, I had looked at all possible photos of this resort before going there. But NOTHING prepares you for the view that you see from the lobby and in fact from my place in this resort.

Day in and day out, we just enjoyed looking out at the ocean at various times of the day from our private plunge pool and the spectacular common pool next to the restaurant.

If you can manage to take your eyes off the view, then you can experience the delightful food in this place. The sea food market was outstanding with fresh food made so well!!

In fact all the restaurants in Capella are outstanding. They have an ambience that you cannot beat. On the last night of our stay, there was a thunderstorm. And thunderstorms here are like a show you can watch over dinner. Everything that night was just magical!

We took a few trips out of the resort and personally I didn't think they were worth leaving the resort for except for the trip into Zihua which was quite enchanting. I was pretty disappointed by capella island and the sunset sail trip - both have mediocre food and just meet our expectations.

I have to mention that I am a vegetarian and my husband is not. I was served some delicious vegetarian Mexican cuisine every single day and I was in heaven :).

I cannot end my review without thanking the staff who went out_of_their_way to put together a surprise for my husband on his birthday. Chef Gonzalo Rivera - Thank you so much for all the effort you put into making that dinner on my husband's night. I just cannot get that night out of my mind. Right from the drinks to the appetizers, soups to entrees and the delicious chocolate cake you made and personally_served, everything that night was PERFECT thanks to you and your staff!!

We will visit Capella again and again and again.
The disadvantage of visiting capella is this - You start comparing all your vacations with this one and end up longing to visit capella again! :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Mexico City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Everything you read in the other review is 100% true. The staff is super helpful, service is top-notch, the hotel is gorgeous, the food is very good (albeit a little bit pricey and portions were a little bit small for the price). We stayed in a Deluxe Ocean View Suite and it was one of the best (if not the best) room we ever stayed. From the infinity pool and outstanding deck, to a great bedroom and a formidable bathroom. Every little detail is amazing. If you are a fan of private plunge pools, this is your place. Most of the them are very private, with a direct ocean view and of very generous size.

It is worth noting that the hotel does not enforce a check-in, check-put policy. Basically, if the occupancy allows, you can check-in and check-out at any time. We arrived at 10:30AM and our room was ready. Our plane back home left Ixtapa at 9:45PM, so we checked-out at 8:00PM, and we were able to keep the room for the entire day!

The spa is also amazing (recently received a perfect 100 score by the Conde Nast Traveler readers poll). The jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and showers are excellent. We also had a massage that was very, very good.

In a hotel this good, the "negative" comments are just nitpickings. For example, rooms do not have iPod players nor any type of stereo (except for the music channels in the TV). The equipment in the gym is somewhat limited. Two treadmills, two elliptical trainers, two stationary bikes and a big set of dumbbells. No other weight-lifting apparatus is included.

If you are looking for a quiet, romantic getaway, look no further.

Room Tip: Deluxe suites are a much better option, than the Junior Suites. The infinity pool and the deck make...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have never written a review on a hotel, but there was no way that I couldn't write one on this very special and unique hotel. It's quite simply - MAGICAL!!!
From the second you get there, you are treated like royalty. Our luggage didnt come on the flight ( turned out it was our fault) and the staff immediately went into action to make sure it got on the next flight out from MExico City and that we got it delivered to our room by 2:00 the next day. They brought toothbrushes and toothpaste to our room without our even asking. That was just in the first 10 minutes we arrived.
Upon arrival, you have your own "personal assistant" that takes care of EVERYTHING and ANYTHING for you. He/she takes care of you your entire stay
The rooms are beautiful with breathtaking views from your own private infinity pool. They bring your beers and chips/salsa.guacomole at night and they brought our 8 year old a fruit drink as well. They treated her like a princess. I know a lot of the reviews talk about how romatic it is and dont get me wrong, it is....but I wouldnt hesitate to bring your children here. They loved having her there and she loved being there.
The staff was unbelievable. They were fun, knowledgeable, articulate and accomodating. My husband is allergic to shellfish so they made special meals for him. The food at the hotel was delicious - no need to leave the resort.
Every night they have a different bottle of tequila in the beautiful library for you to have a glass of. You could sit and watch the sunset and sip on your tequila.
Every morning they have delicious coffee with a large bowl of diiferent pastries to choose from ( or you could go to the restaurant and have a full breakfast). We enjoyed bringing them back to the room and sitting on our patio and watching the ocean.
The hotel was very quiet and peaceful and just everything you could ask for. I wouldnt hesitate to go back ( as we are already planning).
If you are looking for the perfect place to stay....this is it!!! Dont think twice. Just look at the pictures on the Capella website and its everything they say and more!!!

Room Tip: we stayed in the Capella Deluxe on the 6th floor, but the rooms on the 4th floor are less and are ap...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I chose Cappella Ixtapa through Tripadvisor looking for a vacation that would be quiet, romantic and rejuvenating. That is exactly what we got. My husband and I travel a lot and we both agree that Cappella Ixtapa is the best hotel we have ever experienced.
As a Mother of 2 I must tell you...this hotel is NOT for children. It really is ment as a romantic get a way for couples. It is an intimate hotel only having 59 rooms total - each having its own private plunge pool and deck.
I was a little nervous traveling to Mexico - my husband works for the government and was advised against going to Mexico due to security but I must say we felt very safe our entire trip.
We got off the plane in Zihuatanejo where a woman w a hotel sign was waiting for us and put us into a taxi that took us directly to our hotel. We entered the Hotel through the Jurassic Park gates that opened for us and closed behind us. .....From there we were made to feel as though our smallest wish was their command.
Christian and Andres helped orient us to the hotel and to our breath taking room. I must say... You don't have to leave your room if you don't want to.
We ate our first meal at A Mas - their finest restaurant on the grounds. A set price of $60 pp it's a 3 course meal that was truly excellent. I rec though you save that meal for a special night of your stay. La Ros is their breakfast and lunch rest, they also make all the room service from there. Margarita is the best waitress ...she is very informative and always has a smile. They have a bar / restaurant for more layed back dinners and they had several theme dinners while we were there. One better than the next. We met executive chef Gonzalo who asked us several questions re our likes and dislikes. I mentioned to him I have a food allergy and it was noted in the computer so that any food I received was made w that in mind. This was proven several times during our stay in the different restaurants.
The meals are a bit expensive. We spent about $150- $200 per day w drinks and meals. But I will say it was well worth it. Each meal was excellent. And the chips and guacamole sent to our room each day was a nice snack. There was also water and soda in our room free of charge as well.
One thing that was a bit odd was they provided water to our room but if we ordered water in a restaurant they charged $5.00 per bottle (the little bottles)
All the staff went out of their way to do anything they could to make your experience better. Omar , Felix, and Leo were great waiters.
I went to the spa for a massage and facial w Aiden.. It was excellent. But again a bit expensive $300 for both. But I did use their steam room sauna and jacuzzi several times during my stay. They also have a gym and stretching room as well as a library.
My husband and I loved this hotel so much that we extended our stay 3 days more. At night we sat in our heated pool and watched and listened to the hypnotic waves of the Pacific roll in. It was hard to tell the difference between the constellations of the fishing boats with the lights on and the brilliant stars in the sky. BTW I highly recommend you bring binoculars w you to look out at the ocean w.
People who are considering this hotel must know that there is no actual beach to swim in. (there is a beach but it is very rocky..but real cool to go exploring at). But w your own private pool and deck you don't need a beach. There is a hotel main pool both fresh water and salt water but we didn't go in it once.
We did venture out several times by taxi to Ixtapa & Zihuatanejo everyone was very polite and helpful. Not once did we feel not safe or threatened.
My husband and I are already planning our next get a way to this amazing hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the fresh water pool side.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Capella Ixtapa? Share your experiences!