“Amazing Place for a Romantic Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Capella Ixtapa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo Playa Linda, Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo 40880, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 23 hotels in Ixtapa
Mexico City
“Amazing Place for a Romantic Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Everything you read in the other review is 100% true. The staff is super helpful, service is top-notch, the hotel is gorgeous, the food is very good (albeit a little bit pricey and portions were a little bit small for the price). We stayed in a Deluxe Ocean View Suite and it was one of the best (if not the best) room we ever stayed. From the infinity pool and outstanding deck, to a great bedroom and a formidable bathroom. Every little detail is amazing. If you are a fan of private plunge pools, this is your place. Most of the them are very private, with a direct ocean view and of very generous size.

It is worth noting that the hotel does not enforce a check-in, check-put policy. Basically, if the occupancy allows, you can check-in and check-out at any time. We arrived at 10:30AM and our room was ready. Our plane back home left Ixtapa at 9:45PM, so we checked-out at 8:00PM, and we were able to keep the room for the entire day!

The spa is also amazing (recently received a perfect 100 score by the Conde Nast Traveler readers poll). The jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and showers are excellent. We also had a massage that was very, very good.

In a hotel this good, the "negative" comments are just nitpickings. For example, rooms do not have iPod players nor any type of stereo (except for the music channels in the TV). The equipment in the gym is somewhat limited. Two treadmills, two elliptical trainers, two stationary bikes and a big set of dumbbells. No other weight-lifting apparatus is included.

If you are looking for a quiet, romantic getaway, look no further.

Room Tip: Deluxe suites are a much better option, than the Junior Suites. The infinity pool and the deck make...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

394 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have never written a review on a hotel, but there was no way that I couldn't write one on this very special and unique hotel. It's quite simply - MAGICAL!!!
From the second you get there, you are treated like royalty. Our luggage didnt come on the flight ( turned out it was our fault) and the staff immediately went into action to make sure it got on the next flight out from MExico City and that we got it delivered to our room by 2:00 the next day. They brought toothbrushes and toothpaste to our room without our even asking. That was just in the first 10 minutes we arrived.
Upon arrival, you have your own "personal assistant" that takes care of EVERYTHING and ANYTHING for you. He/she takes care of you your entire stay
The rooms are beautiful with breathtaking views from your own private infinity pool. They bring your beers and chips/salsa.guacomole at night and they brought our 8 year old a fruit drink as well. They treated her like a princess. I know a lot of the reviews talk about how romatic it is and dont get me wrong, it is....but I wouldnt hesitate to bring your children here. They loved having her there and she loved being there.
The staff was unbelievable. They were fun, knowledgeable, articulate and accomodating. My husband is allergic to shellfish so they made special meals for him. The food at the hotel was delicious - no need to leave the resort.
Every night they have a different bottle of tequila in the beautiful library for you to have a glass of. You could sit and watch the sunset and sip on your tequila.
Every morning they have delicious coffee with a large bowl of diiferent pastries to choose from ( or you could go to the restaurant and have a full breakfast). We enjoyed bringing them back to the room and sitting on our patio and watching the ocean.
The hotel was very quiet and peaceful and just everything you could ask for. I wouldnt hesitate to go back ( as we are already planning).
If you are looking for the perfect place to stay....this is it!!! Dont think twice. Just look at the pictures on the Capella website and its everything they say and more!!!

Room Tip: we stayed in the Capella Deluxe on the 6th floor, but the rooms on the 4th floor are less and are ap...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I chose Cappella Ixtapa through Tripadvisor looking for a vacation that would be quiet, romantic and rejuvenating. That is exactly what we got. My husband and I travel a lot and we both agree that Cappella Ixtapa is the best hotel we have ever experienced.
As a Mother of 2 I must tell you...this hotel is NOT for children. It really is ment as a romantic get a way for couples. It is an intimate hotel only having 59 rooms total - each having its own private plunge pool and deck.
I was a little nervous traveling to Mexico - my husband works for the government and was advised against going to Mexico due to security but I must say we felt very safe our entire trip.
We got off the plane in Zihuatanejo where a woman w a hotel sign was waiting for us and put us into a taxi that took us directly to our hotel. We entered the Hotel through the Jurassic Park gates that opened for us and closed behind us. .....From there we were made to feel as though our smallest wish was their command.
Christian and Andres helped orient us to the hotel and to our breath taking room. I must say... You don't have to leave your room if you don't want to.
We ate our first meal at A Mas - their finest restaurant on the grounds. A set price of $60 pp it's a 3 course meal that was truly excellent. I rec though you save that meal for a special night of your stay. La Ros is their breakfast and lunch rest, they also make all the room service from there. Margarita is the best waitress ...she is very informative and always has a smile. They have a bar / restaurant for more layed back dinners and they had several theme dinners while we were there. One better than the next. We met executive chef Gonzalo who asked us several questions re our likes and dislikes. I mentioned to him I have a food allergy and it was noted in the computer so that any food I received was made w that in mind. This was proven several times during our stay in the different restaurants.
The meals are a bit expensive. We spent about $150- $200 per day w drinks and meals. But I will say it was well worth it. Each meal was excellent. And the chips and guacamole sent to our room each day was a nice snack. There was also water and soda in our room free of charge as well.
One thing that was a bit odd was they provided water to our room but if we ordered water in a restaurant they charged $5.00 per bottle (the little bottles)
All the staff went out of their way to do anything they could to make your experience better. Omar , Felix, and Leo were great waiters.
I went to the spa for a massage and facial w Aiden.. It was excellent. But again a bit expensive $300 for both. But I did use their steam room sauna and jacuzzi several times during my stay. They also have a gym and stretching room as well as a library.
My husband and I loved this hotel so much that we extended our stay 3 days more. At night we sat in our heated pool and watched and listened to the hypnotic waves of the Pacific roll in. It was hard to tell the difference between the constellations of the fishing boats with the lights on and the brilliant stars in the sky. BTW I highly recommend you bring binoculars w you to look out at the ocean w.
People who are considering this hotel must know that there is no actual beach to swim in. (there is a beach but it is very rocky..but real cool to go exploring at). But w your own private pool and deck you don't need a beach. There is a hotel main pool both fresh water and salt water but we didn't go in it once.
We did venture out several times by taxi to Ixtapa & Zihuatanejo everyone was very polite and helpful. Not once did we feel not safe or threatened.
My husband and I are already planning our next get a way to this amazing hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the fresh water pool side.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Union City, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Capella Ixtapa is absolutely wonderful. If you are hesitating about which hotel to choose, my husband and I can certainly attest to our magnificent stay at Capella Ixtapa.

We had an easy transit to Ixtapa on United Airlines. We live in rural Tennessee and arrived within 5 hours from the airport in Nashville to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo.

We asked the hotel to arrange a car for us and someone was there waiting when we arrived which helped avoid a little airport anxiety.

The staff at the hotel are polite and extremely helpful with anything you need. They are happy to speak English with you or if you are working on your Spanish skills, they are patient there as well.

There are many tours available although I must admit we didn't want to do many of these as the room and the grounds of the hotel were so nice, we only went into Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo for supplies of supplemental food and drink and to get a taste of the local culture as Capella is up in the hills and pretty far removed from the hustle and bustle of the cities nearby.

Capella Ixtapa is really generous with their perks. Each night about 5pm, we were brought fresh guacamole and salsa/chips along with two beers (Victoria and Corona). This was free of charge and such a nice treat each evening. Hint - Make sure you are ready to receive visitors between 5-6pm :>)))

There is a free tequila serving in the library every evening at 7pm as well. The tequilas were of good quality and were accompanied with fresh lime and sea salt. My husband's favorite is Don Julio (reposado). He mentioned that on the first evening and they actually brought us some. There was a commercial about Capella being made and the photographer filmed us sipping our Don Julio. I normally don't drink tequila, but this was such a lovely environment overlooking the sea, that I wanted to participate in everything possible. There are chess boards and a fantastic collection of Mexican art books and more for your reading pleasure. Also, one nice feature is that other couples staying at the resort usually pop into the tequila tasting. I must admit it was nice to meet a few new people and learn where they were from. Most all of them were like us, hard working folks that had saved up for a well deserved vacation. No one was snobby or pretentious in any way.

The food at Capella Ixtapa was wonderful. We aren't the biggest eaters in the world so we mostly had small portions at the restaurant by the pool. The fair at La Mare looked very good, but we didn't end up eating there. Pablo is the BEST waiter by the way, but they are all very attentive.

August was a great time to go to Capella Ixtapa. It wasn't crowded and although the resort wasn't running at full capacity (the store wasn't open much and La Mare - the full restaurant- only open on Thur - Sun), we had everything we needed and most of the time the public infinity pools (which the only real reason to use them other than the one in your room is to have a beverage or snack, and get a little different interpretation of the seascape below), were virtually private when we were there. It also looked like some pool side services weren't up and running, but you could easily ask a waiter for anything needed. It is hot and humid as there was rain on a few days, but it's quite tolerable at the resort (air conditioning in the enclosed part of the room) and I liked the rain for a change.

The only small negative was the lacking of a wine/champagne selection. There were a few items, but not much by the glass. That was remedied by a cab ride into town to fetch some bottles for the room (or you could take a few with you).

We didn't use the spa facility on our trip.

There is a small beach access, but it's not swimmable.

Andreas and Christian, the personal assistants, were fantastic guys! They can help with anything you need.

If you go into Ixtapa, prepare to be a little hounded by tour guides and restaurant owners. Zihuatanejo was farther away, but worth it as this was a more authentic and relaxing experience. People there were very nice and left you generally to yourself.

We did take one day trip to Ixtapa Island. This was close to the hotel and inexpensive. One cab ride to Playa Linda near the hotel (25 minute walk) and a short water taxi to the island was easily doable. We went to Coral Beech on the opposite side of the island from where we were dropped off by the water taxi. Ismael at the Princess Galleano (? we can't quite remember the name, but it was the first restaurant you come to on Coral Beech) was terrific. We had two lounge chairs and two upright chairs with umbrellas. I rented snorkel gear for $8 and saw the most lovely fish very close to shore. The food looked great with whole red snappers and much more.

Capella Ixtapa is wonderful!

Room Tip: The Deluxe Ocean Front Junior Suite was perfect for us!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Planning one week of vacation a long time ahead is not easy.
This place delivered most of what was promised.

Great attention of the staff, comfortable rooms and great food. It is the first time that I spend a full week having food at the hotel only without being bored or tired of the place or the menu.
Enjoy lunch by the poolside, and dinners in your own terrace though room service.

The team is really dedicated to solve all problems. AC broke down one night, it has been fixed within 30 minutes.

Just one comment to the management. We selected this hotel as it was promoted to be kids free. We saw up to 3 families with kids on 26 and 27th July 2012.

Room Tip: Each room has a private pool. Select the larger pool with no roof on it. You'll be enjoying sunb...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I read the reviews before I booked Capella for our anniversary celebration. Most of the reviews refer to the rooms, the private pool, the food, so your expectations are very high. So lets start from the beginning. The pre-arrival communication is great. I did not booked the transportation with the hotel. Now I think I should have. The price difference is not so high as the airport taxis are very expensive. The arrival at the hotel is incredible, the staff take all the time to make you feel welcome, they show you the facilities and from the time you take a look at the view you feel you did not went wrong with your choice. Then you see your room, I had the room 63 in the sixth floor.. the room is absolutely great. We booked our dinner in one of the restaurants in Capella, the food is top notch.. so are the prices. We booked a Spa service and the service again was excellent (so are the prices). The hotel pool is incredible but we went there just a couple of times as we had our private pool up in our room! We had our breakfast take up to our room every day so we had our breakfast with the most extraordinary view of the pacific ocean... We had time to visit both Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo.. we took taxis and we even went by bus.. the local taxis charge you less than $10 for the trip.. and the cost of the bus was less than $1. We did not felt unsecure at any time. Another thing is that we went in July which is supposed to be the rainy season... we saw like two drops of rain the whole stay! As many have said before this is a perfect spot for an incredible honeymoon. I felt like the hotel was not full, of course it did not bother us as we had the entire hotel for ourselves.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be excellent.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

A group of 8 girls planned a three night trip to Ixtapa and it was simply one of the best trips any of us have ever taken. The resort is gorgeous, ridiculously well maintained and the staff is probably one of most kind and energetic I've ever come across. We never left the resort. The food was amazing and the amenities such as the gym and spa were given an A++ rating from those in our group who used them. Service, service, service. This place is an A++. We are all looking forward to going back with our spouses!

Room Tip: Rooms with the private plunge pools are a plus.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Capella Ixtapa? Share your experiences!