“I think i picked the wrong meal?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Smiths of Ongar

Smiths of Ongar
Fyfield Road | Ongar, High Ongar, Ongar CM5 0AL, England (Formerly Smiths Brasserie)
+44 1277 365578
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Smiths of Ongar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in High Ongar
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
essex
“I think i picked the wrong meal?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We went for a birthday celebration, I thought I would have prawn cocktail as it said "Smiths prawn cocktail", so I thought it might be a little jazzy, but no, just a standard prawn cocktail, and very little of it!!! Then I had the Salmon, nice but very bland, was disappointed coming from this restaurant, as they are meant to be tip top with fish? The other members of our party loved their meals,(sea bass, Steak and surf and turf) so I think I just chose wrong, but I had Salmon a few nights before in Writtle and the Salmon was to die for, very tasty and fell off your fork???? I also asked for a slice of Gluten free bread, but sadly they didn't have any, and looked at me quite blankly, it is getting more common now??!!!! The staff were fantastic, and obviously have been trained to a high standard.. I would return, but would have something else off the menu..

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“We like it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Been a few times over the last few months, and look forward to going again. If you enjoy Fish, then this is for you. The two course lunch menu is extremely good value, the quality of food is always superb and the service top class. It also has a remarkable ambiance, in that you feel you are somewhere a lot more expensive. 10/10

• Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Top, Top meal and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Attended the venue with a qualified food critic and two others. Ordered a varied menue. The service was quick and efficient. The premises were large, very clean, tastefully decorated and inviting.
The food was excellent, which was matched by the service. I thoroughly recommend this venue.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Would have been good 5 years ago”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This is the kind of restaurant where 5 years ago it would have been the best. This was my first visit and I left feeling disapointed. It felt tired and I can't help thinking this is all name and no trousers.

I have wanted to go for ages so we went on Saturday and whilst the menu is good value I found the main overly salty. Which sounds ironic for fish but I could see they have actually cooked the fish with salt on. New potatoes were nice but again quite salty.

The dessert I had which was the Eton mess was lovely until halfway through when an ant cralled out of the dessert bowl. I kid you not.

My friend had the treacle pudding which was very dry even though it came with clotted cream, she did mention this to the waitress who in return was very blasé about it.

I also just want to add that when I rang two days prior to our booking to amend the time they didn't have any record of my booking at all even though I booked this over a month ago and the girl on the phone asked me three times my name.

Would go back but not in a hurry.

My tip: Go to Alecs: better service and they give you a free glass of prosecco upon arrival.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Lovely Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is primarily a fish restaurant but they do serve meat.
The menu is very varied and the fish is fresh. The waitors are attnetive but not over powering so the service is just right.
The restaurant is clean and tablecloths fresh with plenty of elbow room if you are in a large party.
Is quite expensive so not your average night out but lovely as a special treat

• Visited December 2012