“Threatened to pull my eyes out” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 attraction reviews
“Threatened to pull my eyes out”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

After an okay introductory surf lesson we went back to the surf-shop with the surf-boards, checked that everything was fine and got our deposit back. A few hours later they come to our hostel, which was right next door and told us that there were a big scratch in one of the boards and we had to pay for the repare. We of course refused to pay as the boards were checked when we handed them in and everything was fine.

Later when we had to catch the bus, Mr. Salinas approached and again demanded that we pay. We again refused, but Mr. Salinas got very upset and threatened to beat us up and pull my eyes out. Fortunately he knew a guy who could fix the board for only 10 USD, so we did not have to pay much to keep our eyes.

Visited September 2011

Oaxaca, Mexico
“Best surf school in all of Oaxaca!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Central Surf Shop is the most legit surf school in all of Oaxaca and Puerto Escondido. I have lived in Oaxaca for over a year and have never been more impressed with a surf shop than I was with Central Surf. I went surfing with my boyfriend and his sister and we all had the time of our lives. Rene was such a good instructor that he had us all standing and riding on every wave.

After our surf lesson we then went back to his shop to buy some cool board shorts and hats - all of which are locally made in Puerto! Support local and learn how to bring out your inner Blue Crush with Central Surf Shop - you won't be disappointed.

Visited April 2012
Rene S, Manager at Central Surf Shop, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking time to leave feedback

I am pleased to hear you had a great time in Puerto Escondido

Fort Collins, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
“Central Surf rocks it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I had surfed once before working with Rene, and it was the most demoralizing experience. I never stood up, crashed and burned in the waves, and really had very little interest in surfing afterwards. That is...until I met Rene. He was AWESOME! Super patient, speaks English, and really helps build your confidence. I went out surfing with my girlfriend (only surfed once before) and my sister (once before) and we were in the water with other surf instructors teaching the newbies in the water. All 3 of us were the ONLY 3 newbies who stood up on the board and rode each wave EVERY time! I attribute that to Rene's ability at being a great instructor. Definitely hit up Central Surf if you want to learnt o surf in Puerto Escondido. They have great clothes too. :)

Visited May 2012
Thank you for taking time to leave feedback

I am pleased to hear you had a great time learning how to surf with us in Puerto Escondido

Overland Park
“Surf's Up with Rene Salinas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Rene is the man to go to if you want to learn to surf. I'm 55 years old, lived in Australia for several years and the proud owner of an 8' mini-mal - but could never master the art of "getting up". My son is 14 and though interested in surfing, had never tried his hand. We signed up for a session with Rene at Central Surf. By the end of the second hour, we had both been up and standing several times. Rene is the "Zen Master" of surfing 101. We went over basics and theory on the beach. Then he was with us to coach and encourage each attempt in the water. We learned deep breathing, attitude, tenacity, calm confidence, as well as physical technique. It was a blast.

2 days later, we signed up for a second session. Everything really clicked, along with perfect conditions. After the first 15 minutes, my son was paddling himself and catching one almost every go. It couldn't have been more fun. Being older, slower, less flexible and a dodgy left knee, I was less adept than a 14 year old (of course). I still caught a few and had some great rides. When I got up, I thought Rene was almost (almost mind you) as exited as I was. Cheering and thumbs up!

Sad that we couldn't stay longer for a third session. I would recommend lessons with Rene to anyone thinking about learning to surf - and Puerto Escondido is definately the place to do it!!

Visited March 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
“A great place if you want to learn to surf!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

I did a few lessons with Renee Salinas and it was great. He's a very good teacher, he takes his time and has patience with you speaks English and gives you good feedback. We surfed a few different spots in Puerto. I developed a lot during my lessons and loved the experience! If I would have a surf lesson again or recommend anyone I would recommend Renee at Central Surf!

Rene S, Gerente at Central Surf Shop, responded to this review, September 9, 2013