“'Good', but 'value'..?” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Calcot
Kettering, United Kingdom
“'Good', but 'value'..?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

There is little to fault with our experience of Calcot Manor: the public areas and private rooms are charming conversations of period buildings; the staff and service was consistently good (even better than good), and the quality of the food top notch (although, being a veggie, the options were quite limited).

My concern is that, at over £400 per night for a DBB package (that included £40pp towards dinner, food-only), I'm not sure that I could really call it good value. This is quite probably the most that I've ever paid for accommodation, and so the expectation was set very high. Although there was nothing 'wrong', there was also something of a sense that it was perhaps not quite up to this high mark. Perhaps I'm being old-fashioned, but I'd be concerned if the new reality is that one has to spend this sort of money in order to be sure of a good quality hotel experience.

Hence, my ratings vary markedly; this being an indication that it is a very nice place to stay (the Gloucestershire location is beautiful), is it quite expensive.

Room Tip: Two things I'd also mention. 1) I was surprised at the number of guests with young children...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

361 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We love Calcot. Had another weekend there this weekend. cannot fault it. The Staff are friendly and professional, the rooms are gorgeous, the food was first rate again - there's a cheese souffle on the menu in the Gumstool which is to die for. If you are looking for a luxury break and have a young family (babies up to about 12) then this is the place to go. Thanks again Calcot.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My Wife and I came for a few days for our honeymoon and we were treated fantastically.

Nothing was a problem and the staff we met are an absolute credit to the Calcot Manor.

We found the rooms very spacious and the restaurants magnificent. The food in both was amazing along with the service.

I travel the world with my work and therefore I spend a lot of time in hotels and I can honestly say that I've never received service like I experienced here.

Whilst its not the cheapest place I will ever stay it doesn't put me off staying there again.

You work hard so why not spoil yourself every once in a while!

I would highly recommend staying at the Calcot Manor.

• Stayed September 2012
Holetown, Barbados
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Having been to nearby Tetbury in the past, we wanted to visit again as a new family and also watch some Polo at the Beaufort Polo Club. We chose Calcot Manor for the baby monitoring service and it's rating as a family spa hotel. We visited Calcot Manor in July (2 nights) and early September (2 nights).

The hotel is set in the countryside, it's grounds cover a wide area and are well looked after, suitable walking, cycling and jogging.

Our 16 month old boy was able to run around with his football and play on his trike.

We used the Conservatory restaurant in the evenings in conjunction with the baby monitoring service which works fine. The monitor is built into the room itself, switch it on when you leave your room and tell the reception where you're eating and thats it.

After your meal remember to tell reception that you're returning to your room and switch the monitor off.

The monitor does work as we were alerted by reception that our child was whimpering just as we ordered dessert, the kitchen held our dessert back and after checking him we resumed our meal.

There's a kids meal option that worked for us starts at 5.30pm at The Gumstool Inn, worth the extra fee and saves having to organize their evening meal.

Swimming with kids in the spa, at weekends it's early morning, during the week it's early evening before mealtime.

We liked the fridge in the room for baby milk and food, monitoring service, staff, "{|}service and food.

We will be back again.

Room Tip: For a family room with one child choose the Berkeley room.
Leicester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We first visited Calcot Manor 5 years ago on our wedding day (although we didn't marry there!) and have been back 3 times on our anniversaries (Would like to go every year but have to save up for it!)
The hotel is in a gorgeous location and we have not been disappointed at all by the service or staff which is why I felt compelled to write this review.
My top tips for visiting Calcot for a short stay would be:
1. Try to get a room in the main house as they tend to be nicer than those in the barn conversions (although they are still lush, just have a little more wear and tear due to being used by families)
2. If you let the staff know if it is a special occasion they will go out of their way to make your stay perfect - we have had different treats ranging from champagne on arrival through to little messages from the chef on our dessert plates saying "happy anniversary". Not sure what staff other people have encountered but I have not found any member of staff unhelpful at all and I wonder if it depends on whether some people are just more demanding given what they are paying (we have noticed some people being pretty rude on some of our visits...)
3. The food is absolutely beautiful in the Conservatory restaurant and make sure you go to dinner a little earlier than when your table is booked for so that you can have a nice chilled out pre-dinner drink in the bar area
4. Lunch in the Gumstool is lovely although can get very busy so make sure you pre-book
5. We always try to get one of the deals where you get spa treatments and dinner included and these are the best value for money so it is worth booking direct rather than through agents - yes it is a little expensive but the place is just so lovely that when you save up for it, it makes it all the more rewarding!!
6. I'm not a regular spa visitor so can't really comment on other people's comparisons but again, I have never felt rushed or treated badly - the staff are all very well informed and helpful, I can definitely recommend the aroma flex treatment which is a combined reflexology and massage treatment. The hot stone massage is also amazing. The outdoor hot tub is well worth a visit especially on a cold day - you can also have a nice glass of fizz while you relax which is very nice!!
7. I can't really comment on the suitability for children but have seen a mix of ages there during our stays but I would say it based on my experience it is more a romantic retreat than an activity based children's holiday resort
8. The trim trail is a nice long walk after breakfast to burn off those extra calories - especially after the lovely smoked haddock and scrambled eggs!

I hope this helps any prospective visitors to Calcot, we certainly cannot wait to visit again soon!

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are a little nicer than those in the barn as a lot of those are used by fami...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a lovely family hotel but I feel it just misses the mark.

We had a family suite which was of perfect proportions but was starting to look a little tired. The towel rail in the bathroom was loose and there were lots of scratches and marks on the walls. I appreciate it must be hard to maintain a property that is constantly full of young children but it could definitely do with a freshen up.

The pub attached to the hotel was nice but had the feeling of a chain pub rather than I nice independent local.

The spa and pool were fantastic and we thoroughly enjoyed swimming with our 10 month old daughter.

We had a reasonable meal in the conservatory restaurant and we were impressed by the effort made for my wife who is vegan. Breakfast wasn't so great with my full english clearly having sat on a hot plate for some time rather than being freshly cooked.

Unfortunately the whole experience was spoiled by a noisy boiler room next to our daughter's room. This was dealt with well by the night porter and a generous discount at check-out. However the damage had been done and our quite night was anything but.

It could be great but I'd say it is currently only average.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

1. Overcharging for pre-dinner drinks at the bar (Bombay gin charged at a premium of £2.75 over the price of the Gordon’s gin which was ordered);
2. Limited menu choices;
3. The absence of soup spoons and steak knives, both of which had to be requested;
4. The servings took an extraordinary amount of time to be delivered, so much so that the first person served each time had a lukewarm starter and main course by the time the last diner had been served;
5. Main course of roast loin of pork – four small square-shaped portions of meat each, three of which were 75% fat and the remaining one consisting totally of fat;
6. A charge for tap water;
7. Five coffees ordered, two of which failed to appear;
8. Staff appeared to be inexperienced and disinterested, and some recently employed.

The bill for pre-dinner drinks, two courses and wine (3 bottles) for six diners amounted to just under £400. For this amount the experience and quality fell far short of expectations.

We shall not be returning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Calcot Manor? Share your experiences!