“Best pub in town” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Best pub in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This pub has been my local for two years now, my other half and I eat here on a regular basis and we have never had a bad meal.
We eat a variety of things such as the Roast dinner on a Sunday, wraps/ sandwiches from the lunch menu, caesar salad (caesar sauce is to die for) steak and burgers - every meal every time has been spot on.
The drinks are reasonably priced and the staff/ owners are very friendly.
We take our dog in there all the time and they are very accommodating.
I wouldn’t choose anywhere else to eat and drink over the Bun Penny and it's the "must be" place, especially in the summer where you can sit out the back or the front of the pub.
Comments below from previous visitors are confusing to me as the staff are very friendly and will do all they can to help, the food is at a brilliant standard no matter what you’re eating and when you’re eating it - if anything the food side of the pub is even better since the recent owners took over the pub as the menu has been updated and there are now interesting choices on there.
I would recommend popping down on a band night if you’re looking for good time with a good atmosphere.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

54% Recommend
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Average at a push”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Went here today for Sunday lunch and all seemed strange on entering, very quiet with at best 20% of the tables occupied. Thinking this was good as we have been here a few times and its ok but as my old mum would say "nothing to write home about". The few times we have been before the service was slow but bearable however today was just awful, a 10 minute wait at the bar to be served and I was the only person stood there, no one behind the bar and no body else waiting. Once we got our drinks I asked about food and was told there was a 30 minute delay, acceptable time I think but after waiting 15 mins for our order to be taken I asked and was told that "As I said before there is a 30 minute delay on food orders". I didn't know that meant MAKING THE ORDER. Apparently there was a list and the staff would get to us in order. I can understand this if the place was busy but it was dead. Can't comment on the food this time this time as we didn't bother waiting to even get our orders in but the few previous times the food was ok but nothing special.
There are a few really nice places nearby with good food and a lovely view of 'Osbourne House' and I would advise trying these first.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Lee-on-the-Solent, United Kingdom
“Really good evening out at the Bun Penny”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Had a really great evening out at the Bun Penny with some friends, Food was great. We are regulars at this Pub and the food is consistently good the beer and wine is good, service is friendly and quick. This is a great pub with a friendly atmosphere, recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Eastleigh, Hampshire.
“Nice pub with really good food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Me and my wife together with our mates John & Julie went into the Bun Penny last night. The 4 of us had a couple of pre dinner drinks which for John and me was from their first class selection of real ale which I am told changes on a regular basis. The beer could not have been better.
The 4 of us then sat down to what can only be described as a really top notch 2 course meal. Because it was a Wednesday we even qualified for 2 bottles of free house wine between us. Our server for the evening was Harrison and he really did us proud.
If you want a mid week treat comprising good real ale top notch food all served with a cracking good service then give this place a try.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
dominican republic
“Great Pub Grub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Having gone to the Bun by accident on the 30th of Jan (my sons 18th), they accommodated 16 of us at last minute, we decided to sample wine wednesday again (what a name!). We have not been disappointed, great atmosphere, great food, lovely staff!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere