“Puebla--more than mole!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eat Mexico Culinary Tours

Eat Mexico Culinary Tours
Camino Morillotla 3424 | Col. Emiliano Zapata, San Andres Cholula, Puebla 72824, Mexico
+52 1 55 3504 2135
NYC
3 attraction reviews
“Puebla--more than mole!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was my second tour with Eat Mexico. I'd had such a great time on the street food tour in Mexico City that when I planned a trip to Puebla. These are such expertly planned food tours--good amounts of food, with a good amount of walking and other info in between. We had all kinds of things I'd never heard of, and our guide, Rebecca, was full of answers to questions I never even thought to ask. I really appreciated that we walked out of the centro and into another neighborhood that we hadn't gotten around to visiting yet--a nice change of scenery, and a good walk to work up an appetite for the amazing cemitas at the end. As full as I was at the end of that tour, I'm still sitting here typing and wishing I'd eaten more!

Visited April 2013

Michigan
10 attraction reviews
“A Must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Take this tour when you first arrive and your entire visit in Puebla will be enhanced. As someone who travels alone, I tend to be cautious about where I eat. Rebecca knows all the fabulous off beat eateries that I would typically bypass. Each place we visited had a different specialty and a different vibe. Also important is that you learn about some very different dishes that are unique to the area so that even if you traveled a lot in Mexico, you will eat things here that you knew nothing about. The tour ends in the quirkiest little place I've ever been to. What a delight.

Rebecca is not only knowledgeable about food, but she can answer any questions you might have: How do I know if the pottery is truly Talavera? What should I look for if I go to Cholula? What is the best bus station to get a bus to Mexico City airport? or whatever questions you personally have. She is very flexible; for instance I hadn't been able to get into the amazing gold Rosary Chapel so she took me in and guided me through it.

Rebecca is outgoing and fun. You'll thoroughly enjoy yourself as you eat well and learn.

Visited March 2013
Berkeley CA
4 attraction reviews
“A great taste of Puebla”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our four-hour tour was a perfect introduction to the food, history, and culture of Puebla. Our guide, Rebecca, was a knowledgeable and delightful companion who knew exactly how to pace the tour (enough walking to balance the eating!). We have some dietary restrictions that make a food tour tricky, but Rebecca created a great tour for us nevertheless. We sampled specialties from small restaurants, streetside vendors, and the market--places we probably wouldn't have tried on our own. The pasita liqueur at La Pasita bar was a step back in time and a lovely ending to a full afternoon. Rebecca also gave us tips about shopping and sightseeing that we used for the rest of our stay. I have taken a lot of walking tours in my travels, and this ranks at the top of the list.

Visited December 2012
Crystal Beach, Texas
14 attraction reviews
“Eat your heart out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is one of the best experiences I have had in Puebla. This is a wonderful walking tour that blends typical food native to Puebla highlighted with interesting lessons in Pueblan history. The guide picked the perfect places to do the tastings and we were encouraged to eat as much or as little as we liked. The best part of the tour for me was the cemitas at the mercardo. Who would have thought eating a sandwich there would be delicious and safe?

This tour takes several hours so come hungry, dressed comfortably (especially shoes) and ready to enjoy the day!

Visited October 2012
Santa Monica, CA
3 attraction reviews
“The name of the tour says it all.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Here is the tour to help you get over your fear of eating in places that might not be in your guidebook. Our host, Rebecca, was knowledgeable, fearless, energetic, and full of insights into the culture that only someone who loves Mexico could have. Bring your most comfy shoes, sunscreen, maybe a hat and prepare to step into another world off the beaten tourist track. My favorite food was a "pelona," a sandwich made on a roll that was similar to sourdough and filled with your choice of fresh ingredients (meats, salsa, cheese, vegetables,etc.). If you think all Mexican fast food is made with tortillas, you will be surprised to find so many different kinds of bread in Puebla made with flour. And, there is a reason for this and you'll have to take the tour to find out what it is! We walked from a busy urban area through sidestreets (more food) crossed a giant boulevard, entered another part of modern Mexico, urbane, high end design mixed with historic buildings a beautiful green park (a favorite for weddings and parties) and then, passing through an archway we emerged into one of the cities oldest neighborhoods and went to a huge marketplace where we ate more food while surrounded by music, the voices of vendors of food, flowers, fresh meat, incense, fruit, baskets, and more things than I can remember. And then, after that, there was still more to come. Don't believe me? Take this tour, you won't regret one peso of the money you paid. Oh, and bring a camera.

Visited October 2012