“Cooking class was the best!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Meson Sacristia de la Compania

You added Meson Sacristia de la Compania to your Saves list
Meson Sacristia de la Compania
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Sur No. 304 | Callejón de los Sapos, Centro Histórico, Puebla 72000, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 88 Hotels in Puebla
Bridgton, Maine
“Cooking class was the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I did not stay at the Meson Sacristia but took a cooking class there that was well worth the time and expense ($85 USD). I had expected to be in the class with other folks, but it turned out to be a private lesson. This was a fabulous treat and since I am a retired Spanish teacher, the class was conducted all in Spanish! Lizbet was an amazing instructor and I did it all...roasted the chili peppers for the salsa, made the mole poblano, prepared the red and green salsas, made the chalupas and best of all, was able to savor all the delicious food products when we were done! I came away with a booklet of all the recipes and an increased appreciation for fine Mexican cooking. I now make my guacamole "a la mexicana" thanks to a recipe from Lizbet.

On the other hand, my husband and I went to the Meson to dine one evening and had the worst meal we have ever had in Mexico...sorry to say. The pork with the mole sauce was hard and dry and truly inedible. The enchiladas had NOTHING inside of them since we opted to not have the chicken...a little cheese or beans would have been nice. We found so many amazing restaurants in Puebla and were surprised that this particular one was written up with such praise in our guide book. Perhaps it was an off night for the kitchen..it certainly was an off night for us!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
barsa, Manager at Meson Sacristia de la Compania, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Mhubka.
Thank you so much for your review.
We are very happy about your experience in Puebla and feel very proud to offer an experience such as a cooking classes in our amazing City.
I hope you come back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Hardwick, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Mesones Sacristia on Los Sapos is an incredible experience! The location could have not been better, close enough to the zocalo but on a nicely quiet street. The rooms are beautiful and filled with antiques steeped in history and culture. I truly appreciated the level of service that the staff demonstrated, going beyond my expectations and super friendly! I would gladly give 6 stars if there were upgrades in the bathroom shower ( I got blasted by the cold water before it got hot, because there is no way to turn on the shower without actually getting in the stall), and the addition of a small refrigerator and a safe. Other than those three minor items I loved the hotel and the wonderful, kind staff!

• Stayed April 2014
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

My wife and I found this hotel on TripAdvisor. Read all the positive comments and hoped the few not so positive ones were off target. We booked room 6, it was the last available room by the time we decided to commit. It has a street side balcony and shares a common wall with the business that plays the music which has apparently kept a few folks from their sleep in the past. It also has two double beds instead of a king which I figure is probably why it was still available.

The plant is quirky, but if you've traveled much in Mexico and dared to not book in one of the multi-national chains you're used to it. Don't misunderstand, we like the consistency and excesses of full service, modern infrastructure chain hotels as much as anybody, but forced to make a choice, we chose to be in the Zona Histórica. No contest.

The building is hundreds of years old, and in order to preserve it's historical identity while updating its installations and converting it from a private residence to a restaurant and hotel decisions needed to be made. I am a Design Build contractor with 40 years of experience. In my opinion, some of those decisions were appropriate and others could have been better.

I had typed up a list of a dozen things wrong with the place, starting with the Hot, pink patio, but I've deleted them. You can read about them elsewhere. I will say there is a lot of truth to them. However in the Meson Sacristia's defense, we didn't hear a peep from the neighbors in the evenings; we never ran out of hot water; for the most part the foul drain smell was quashed by a plastic cover they placed over the shower drain; and the entry door lock was operable.

There is plenty of design and construction talent in Mexico capable of transforming this old building into the perfect plant we Americans expect. All it takes is a huge construction budget.

There is only one deal breaker for my wife and I. I know hotel management reads these reviews and hopefully they'll take action on this one. I wasn't expecting this to be an issue because at least one of the reviews we read mentioned that the bedding was very good. The mattresses are hard. I don't think they're low quality. It appears they may be extra firm instead of plush. Great for back sleepers but murder for side sleepers with bad backs.

What the Meson Sacristia does provide is a killer kitchen; and respectful, personalized service from EACH AND EVERY EMPLOYEE IN THE PLACE. After a four day stay how often can you say that?

During our four days I did nothing if not order off the menu; I brought in a bottle of red wine from a meal we'd had at another restaurant and without prompting was brought a wine glass and asked for permission to pour by Noe, our waiter; time and again we were graciously provided with directions to other dining establishments; when my wife and I were feeling some body tweaks they summoned not one but two masseus' within the hour to reduce our down time, they provided prompt taxi service, the front desk printed our return flight tickets almost as soon as I hung up the phone with them, etc, etc, etc.

Forget the quirks, fix the mattresses, keep the attitude.

Room Tip: Met the couple that got the room over the kitchen. They said they could hear the kitchen noises.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
barsa, Manager at Meson Sacristia de la Compania, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Mr. Daniel.
We thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review and we appreciate the objectivity and clarity with which describes our hotel.
We are convinced that the care and service of our staff make a big difference in the stay of our guests and we appreciate people like you to recognize it.
We welcome your comments on some details that will be correct immediately.
I would like to comment that the mattresses of all our rooms are new, and probably for this reason can be overly rigid, but we will consider your comments to offer greater convenience to our customers.
Hope to have a chance to receive you again in this home very soon.
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

The owner of the hotel is an antique dealer and not only are the reception rooms, the restaurant, the patio and the bar full of antiques, but so was our bedroom – or should I say suite, made up as it was of a lounge area, a small dining alcove, bathroom and bedroom area containing a four-poster bed. The bathroom door had a small grill at head height, and we were told that it used to belong to a prison. The room also came with complimentary pastries, bottles of water and coffee and a note saying that all of the items of furniture, from mirrors to wardrobes, were potentially for sale and if you looked carefully you could see little price labels attached to each item. It would be mean to proffer any sort of criticism, but if I had it would be to say that the room was not well-lit: the only window gave on to the internal patio and the artificial lights did not fully penetrate the bedroom area. Also, our four-poster bed was fashioned out of steel tube so that any shaking, jerking or other sudden movement meant that the whole frame quivers and squeaks so unless you get out of bed v-e-r-y c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y you are bound to wake up your sleeping partner.
The hotel staff were very chatty and showed us around the public rooms (all the time trying to sell us the idea of buying antiques or of booking a cookery course in the hotel’s kitchens, but that is their job!) while showing great forbearance with our rather imperfect Spanish.
The area that we were in (“Los Sapos”) is dominated by antique shops and small cafés which disappointingly seem to disappear at night and seems a million miles away from the busy downtown area only 5 minutes walk away, having more of a Cotswold village air about it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

First off, the space may seem a bit cluttered in the lobby, but that does not continue into your room at all. The space looks rustic, yet is comfortable. It is truly beautiful.
The food was very good as well, and breakfast, no matter what you get, is complimentary. The location is only blocks away from the zocalo, so I honestly think it is an excellent space.

Stayed March 2014
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed the Poblano cooking class with Chef Lizbet and her assistant Aloy and highly recommend it. (PS - their English is excellent). We spent 4.5 days in Puebla and found the city and its historic monuments and churches quite delightful.

One of the highlights was the cooking class, and we purchased the 3 day special for couples. The first day was just us plus one more person and we all got along great. The next two days were just my husband and myself. We made different recipes each day and visited a small market (Mercado Carmen) on the third day. As advertised, each day was followed by lunch. The delicious and authentic regional food included: Mole Poblano, Red & Green Salsa, Guacamole, Tinga, Pico de Gallo, Special Sacrasista sauce, along with different infused waters to accompany our wonderful meals. Recipes were provided along with explanations.

This class is clearly for those wanting to learn the Mexican kitchen and have some fun. We would not recommend this class for expert cooks looking for a culinary school experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
La Grange, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed 4 nights in room #9, a Jr. suite size. The room was welcoming and full of interesting furniture. The king bed was very comfortable. We only had one chair in the room, so not much time was spent there other than napping and sleeping. We had one window in our room, it overlooked the courtyard. We had to use the air con at night for air circulation. The air con was extremely quiet, as was the entire hotel for sleeping. Our bathroom was quite small, but everything worked fine. Plenty of hot water. Housekeeping was excellent, rooms were cleaned quickly in the morning. Bottle water was supplied regularly at no additional charge. The WiFi and cable TV worked great, but not many channels in English. The staff is very friendly and willing to help out in all situations. Most spoke good English. The hotel decor is lovely. Breakfast is served in the courtyard. There are many interesting offerings on the menu, and if you want something not listed, they most likely will prepare it for you. Dinner there was exceptional (in the restaurant review). The location is perfect, we walked every day to every sight in the clean and safe old town. It is walking distance to the main bus station as well, a bit of a hike, but OK. We flew into Mexico City and had a driver take us to the hotel, that worked great, it was about a 2 hour drive. We flew out of Puebla (30-40 mins. to the airport) early in the morning, and they were kind enough to prepare take away breakfast for us at 5:30 AM. I would pay extra for the king suite if that is an option. This B&B is a delight.

Room Tip: Pay extra and reserve a king suite. Courtyard facing rooms are very quiet. The street itself is ver...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Meson Sacristia de la Compania? Share your experiences!