“Very disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 84 Hotels in Puebla
Chicago, Illinois
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We selected this hotel because of strongly positive reviews here (some negative ones have been posted since), and were extremely disappointed:
1) Arrangements were made in advance for an extra bed in one of our rooms, and confirmed on arrival at the hotel. Returning from dinner and finding no extra bed, we were then told the hotel doesn't have any extra beds. The only person at the hotel who seemed interested in actually solving the problem was a bellman/waiter (Raoul) who brought a second sofa into the room, which was a reasonable makeshift way for another person to sleep. Speaking to the manager two days later (the first day any management was present in the hotel), she said they should have borrowed a bed from another hotel, but she never followed upon this -- nevertheless, they continued the "extra person charge."
2) There was nowhere in the hotel other than the room to sit comfortably because of the cold. It was necessary to wear coats at breakfast most mornings. There were heaters in the dining room and patio, but I could not convince anybody to turn them on.
3) Terrible coffee -- probably instant. On occasion Raoul made us coffee from the espresso machine, much better.
4) Failed to service my mother-in-law's room one day because she was in it most of the day. But never asked her if she wanted service. She ran out of toilet paper, telling me the room was not properly serviced the day before. What competent room attendant leaves only 1 day's worth of TP in the room?
5) Upon check-out we were dinged US $2 for an accidentally broken glass in one of the rooms.
6) The much-heralded "spa" was unavailable during our whole stay.

These service problems are a real shame. The hotel has a great location and a nice facility. But it needs competent, attentive management, which would immediately realize it would make sense to have a rollaway bed or two on hand and to provide adequate heating in the public areas so that people will enjoy lingering over drinks and meals during chilly weather. They have apparently become lax because of the good ratings they've gotten up til now.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Lima, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The San Antonio was a beautiful, quiet, little hotel just off the beaten path but close to EVERYTHING! The staff were friendly and able to work with us in English. The rooms were clean and nicely appointed. Breakfast was great with variety and choices. Enjoyed our short stay. Would stay here for a longer period of time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We loved this hotel for its location, spacious and modern rooms, breakfasts and Caesar, who constantly went out of his way to ensure that the guests were happy and a wealth of information. The interior courtyard was great for reading and relaxing. The hotel's location was wonderful -- only a few blocks from the zocola and other attractions. We had a room with two queen beds located in the middle of the hotel on the second floor.

Room Tip: There are only two rooms that are on the front with two queen size beds that are beautiful and with...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed for four nights and we were not that impressed; the information provided by the hotel and the reviews did not match with what actually this hotel is.

The hotel is not well maintained in many of its areas, and rooms are not that great. The food was good but we were expecting more, it's international food and not Mexican food as we thought. The staff were friendly but limited.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This hotel was a grat choice for our family of four. We had a large room on the second floor with two queen size beds. The hotel has an attractive interior courtyard patio. It is a sunny and relaxing space to read. The hotel is located close to the Zocalo and other attractions.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the sunny courtyard. Some rooms do not.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

This review is about the "spa" only and not the hotel itself. I felt like I was tucked away on a gurney behind a white curtain in a bathroom. I had a hot stone massage, and I felt compelled to say how terrible it was for any amount paid. I had hot rocks rearranged on my back and it felt as if a seven year old was playing on me. There was little pressure and no technique. I want to say that the ladies were very nice, but the massage was the worst I ever had and I couldn't wait for it to be over. When I was done I wanted to take a shower as I had to walk around town and then leave for my next leg of the trip. They didn't let me take a shower and said I needed to cool down first, though I never felt hot in the first place. I reported how terrible the experience was to the front desk so the hotel knew I was disappointed. Again, it's a nice place, the people are nice, but the technique...very poor.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Panama City, Panama, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

The staff went out of the way to make us feel comfortable. This is exactly the type of place I wanted to stay to go along with a stay in the heart of the historic center. A very close walk to the Zocalo. I liked that the rooms are old but the furniture contemporary, especially the bathroom fixtures. My only complaint is that they are not air conditioned. I think it kind off goes with Puebla but it can be a bit warm inside during the day. They did their best to provide us with fans but I hope they have plans to air condition the place, which is absolutely lovely. The rooms are huge and I would have preferred to have a desk so I could do some work...there is plenty of room for one. I actually had some of the best sleeps in a long time while staying there. Their coffee was so different, mixed with cinnamon, such a nice change! There were problems with our TV and they actually went out and bought a new one! Can't complain about the personal touch

Room Tip: Pick a room that has a balcony or window that you can open while affording you some privacy
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Casona San Antonio? Share your experiences!