“Our "home" for 10 nights in Puebla!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Casa de la Palma
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Oriente 217 | Centro Historico, Puebla, Mexico   |
Ranked #27 of 81 hotels in Puebla
Bridgton, Maine
“Our "home" for 10 nights in Puebla!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Believe me when I say it's all about "location"! This hotel was the perfect place for us to get to know Puebla. We were able to walk everywhere and return midday for a rest before heading out again for the evening. We chose a top floor room with a balcony and slept with the windows open every night. We got used to the noises of the street very quickly and appreciated the flow of fresh air. The folks at the front desk were very helpful and arranged for our tour guide to visit the volcanoes, made dinner reservations and researched a yoga class for us. They left bottled water in the room each day which we greatly appreciated. There was always hot water for showers, although you did have to let it run for a bit. The breakfast each morning started with fresh fruit, breads/pastries and we chose "huevos a la mexicana" as our favorite way to start the day. The fact that I speak fluent Spanish was helpful, but my husband was also able to communicate with everyone in English. If you are looking for the pristine cleanliness of a modern hotel, this is NOT the place for you to stay. The hotel is old and prides itself on preserving that ambience. The furniture and art in the rooms are very nice and look antique but are reproductions made by the family that owns the hotel. We were quite comfortable here and made to feel very welcome.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We reserved four nights at this hotel at the 'booking' web site, based on the photos of the rooms that looked spacious and elegant. In reality, the hotel is shabby at best, decrepit and ill-maintained. Since we arrived late at night, we took a room, deciding in the morning that we had to find a better hotel for our stay in Puebla. The hotel refused to let us check out, i.e., sign for payment, but nevertheless has charged our credit card for all four nights. We are now having to fight this charge.
We appreciate and like funky, but this place was far below our standard for that. It is old and the rooms are large, as the little photos show, but we found doorknobs barely hanging on, windows in our room with broken-out panes, a shower that just dribbled water, bathroom doors that didn't close. The first room we were shown had a smell of sewage in the bathroom. The second was internal and stuffy. We had to have a pedestal fan that, even on low speed, sounded like a prop airplane. We could never connect anywhere to promised Wi-Fi. One guest said, "You have to move around, but it will go out anyway." There are no amenities, no lounge or staff to speak of.
The worst was the manager, Jose, who refused to give us his last name ('I don't have one,' he told us), and was uncompromising about letting us pay for one night and happily going away, but insisted we pay for three more nights that we were not going to stay.
We moved to the Quinta Real, a few blocks away - beautiful, friendly, pristine, fully staffed - for not a huge amount more a night. The Casa de Palma might be a good choice for some, but don't be deceived in expecting a grand, full-service hotel. And if you have a problem, don't expect any help from Jose ______!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

There are 2 hotels next to each other. I stayed at both of them on different nights. I actually bounced back and forth between Puebla and some other cities during a couple of weeks so I stayed in 4 different rooms at the 2 places depending on what was available and the best value. Every one of them had it's own flavor and character. I met one of the guys who is heavily involved (I think he may be the owner but he didn't actually say that) - regardless he is a very interesting and talkative guy and he told me that the root of the hotel concept was to allow people to stay in unique, gorgeous rooms in a beautiful building without getting killed on the price. Well - consider it goal met. The rooms are HUGE - all of them. They are bigger than my own master bedroom back in the US. The furniture is all made by his company. In fact his principle business is a furniture manufacturing and export. The pieces are all incredibly well done - I thought many or most of them were antiques before we chatted. Giant heavy wooden beds, Giant wooden armoires, chandeliers all over the place. All of the windows have heavy velvet drapes. I felt like I was in some sort of castle! The location is absolutely perfect right off the zocalo and right in the middle of everything but it's still perfectly quiet - every room I stayed in was quiet and I was there on weekend nights too. The rates are amazing. They fluctuate based on room size but I stayed in one really cool second story room (which is only for 1 person) but that room in particular cost less than a single room in a hostel that i stayed at in Oaxaca. I think that they change the prices with seasons so I don't want to throw out a quote and have it be wrong but unless you want to stay in a dirty, grimy place I don't think you'll get a price like this. For me it was like paying for a "10" hotel at a "4" price. BTW - as noted by others - only 1 of the two adjoining hotels has breakfast - it's the one if you are facing is on the left. I would recommend asking what is available at both places and seeing what is available before deciding. I wouldn't have the breakfast be a deal breaker. Oh - BTW a lot of people wrote about hot water. I found that it actually does always come on but a couple of days I ran it for like 4 or 5 minutes before it came hot. This is more of a challenge because the dials aren't marked! I would say turn them both to the middle, leave it on and be patient :)

Room Tip: Ask to see what is available - at both hotels - they are happy to show them. 4 rooms and I didn'...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Only have good things to say!

- Polite, understanding staff at front desk, all of whom spoke English (just a bit of a bonus, saved us fumbling with our limited Spanish).
- Huge, clean room and bathroom off a beautiful courtyard. Bed was very comfortable.
- Perfect location, just off the Zocalo.
- The cost of the room was exceptionally reasonable.

The only thing I could imagine being a "negative" was that there is no breakfast available at the hotel, but considering that Puebla is the culinary capital of country, you're really better off having a wander and finding somewhere else for a traditional Mexican desayuno/almuerzo.

Room Tip: Our room was the closest to the road in the courtyard, but even that was quiet at night time, Perfec...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

I didn't realize that there were two very different hotels of the same name next to each other. Reading these reviews, it's clear that my travel companions and I stayed at the "lesser" of the two: the one on the left, as you face the hotels. In our room, you entered the room through the bathroom -- yes, you open the front door and step into the bathroom, then walk through the bathroom to get into the bedroom area. Hmm.

Although the room and bathroom were quite spacious, both are in serious need of an upgrade. The decor was dowdy, and the shower needed a good scrub. Plus, there was barely a trickle of hot water pressure in the shower, and in the morning, there was no hot water at all, even though we let the faucet run for a good fifteen minutes.

The location can't be beat, being just a block from the zocalo and museums, shopping, restaurants, etc. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful, and the hotel itself had a certain charm, being an old colonial building with a central courtyard. But those factors wouldn't be enough to get me to stay there again. I might spring for the extra bucks to stay in the "boutique" version, IF they guaranteed hot water, but in general, I'd probably just opt for a different property altogether.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

the local location is very good, you have restaurants close with economic and rich meal, the place is very clean the personnel is friendly, the room has a very good decoration I felt in a museum, and the window an impressive sight.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

There are two distinct hotels with this name in the same building. We stayed 3 nights in the right part of the building (when facing the building), it was very reasonably priced, beautiful an clean. The bedrooms and bathrooms are very neat and huge.

Martin does an amazing job at the reception. He gave us tons of good advise to organize our trip, he speaks English, French and Spanish, and was so friendly and helpful to us. He really made our stay there special!

Thank you so much Martin for this amazing stay in Puebla!

---

Nos quedamos 3 noches en la parte derecha del hotel, las habitaciones eran amplias, bonitas y bien limpias. El hotel esta muy bien ubicuado en el centro, cerca de todos los puntos de interés, y al mismo tiempo muy tranquillo y bueno para descansar!

A la recepción Martín es muy simpático y nos ayudo mucho a organizar el viaje y las cosas que visitar. Gracias a el nuestra estancia fue muy agradable y especial!
Muchas gracias Martín!

Recomendamos mucho este bonito hotel.

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Hotel Casa de la Palma? Share your experiences!