“Needs Improvement” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 63 hotels in Morelia
Huntington Beach, CA
“Needs Improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

Hotel needs to be updated. Good location, close to central square and main catherdal. Shopping not the best. Beds were OK. Bathrooms need to be reno. Staff was good, but needs to improve. I wished I had stayed across the street.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Rome, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

I've stayed at the Hotel Alameda three times before. I was struck immediately upon checking in today (yes, I am writing this review from inside the room I am reviewing) that the hotel staff was not as professional as before, the hotel overall was not as clean, and that the overall apperance and atmoshere was considerably diminished compared with my previous visits. I check in to the hotel at 5:30, hoping to work in my room tonight, have some room service, and continue my trip to Patzcuaro tomorrow morning without having to worry about anything--the exact kind of experience I have had at this hotel before. Unfortunately I found out that the services I had previously enjoyed at the hotel had all but disappeared. I called to place a room service order at 8 p.m. only to find that no one answered the phone. After two or three attemps I called the reception desk. The woman who answered the phone said that she would check to identify the problem and get back to me as soon as possible (I speak Spanish, so there was no problem communicating with her). After half a hour I tried calling room service again. No answer. I called back to reception. The woman I spoke with earlier said that there was only one waiter working in the hotel so that they were not offering room service today. Since I had purchased some soft drinks from a convenience store nearby when I checked in, I asked if I could have some ice delivered to my room (there was no ice bucket in my room and no mention of ice machines in the guest guide). She told me she would send up a bucket of ice immediately. Another hour as passed, I've gone back to the convenience store to buy a bag of ice, and have yet to receive the ice I ordered. I typically don't like ranting reviews at tripadvisor.com but I now have a new appreciation for what motivates people to write such reviews. I do not want anyone else to experience the disappointment and frustration I have had here tonight. There are other great hotels in Morelia, just as close to the Plaza, and clearly with better service than the Hotel Alameda.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

We stayed there for three nights and got one night free which made our stay great value. Beds are firm and comfy, bathroom spotless. Staff are very friendly. The carpark is close by. We stayed in the colonial part that has a lot more character than the new part.

We also ate in the restaurant, good service, nice food. decently priced.

No complaints whatsoever and will be definitely using this hotel again.

The shop outside (looks like it's part of the hotel) is very expensive, if you need bottle water is best to walk down the road to the nearby Oxxo.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
WA State
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

The hotel is very beautiful! The bar is updated and modern, but that's about it. The bed's are INCREDIBLY hard, not just stiff, but very hard to sleep in. I hardly slept at all!! But since I didn't plan on spending too much time int he room I didn't worry too much about amenities or anything else, this is a very safe hotel and at the best location. The price is unbeatable and I was very happy with my stay.

• Liked — Historic Location
  • Disliked — HARD BEDS, probably historic
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

my husband and i and two other couples recently stayed at the alameda. the location is excellent, we stayed in the older section at the back of the hotel. no window to the street, only on the inside paito. therefore no noise and no light! i have never slept better at a hotel! we stayed 5 nights as we were touring the area on motorcycles. the nearby parking garage was very convenient for 40 pesos a day. the buffet breakfast was wonderful. our king size bed was great. yes, you need to put your room key into the wall to use the lights, but aren t we trying to save energy?

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — high bar prices
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

As mentioned in previous reviews, the location is unbeatable. Directly on a charming zocalo with imposing cathedral and numerous restaurants and bars. Sections of the hotel are built in older buildings with courtyards and interesting architecture.

With that said, I was pretty unhappy with my room. I reserved a king bed room, but received two small twins. The room had only one window, facing an interior courtyard/hall which had a bright light on all night and there were not blackout curtains in the room. I took advantage of the two-bed situation to hang the other bed's sheets and blankets over the bright window which remediated things somewhat. The bedsheets were old style with sheet, blanket and gross covering. TV was tiny (15"?). Air conditioner was difficult to control... it over-cooled the room... and if you turned it off, since you had no window to the outdoors, the temps shot up instantly. Shower was very nice. Couldn't get an internet connection.

I found the rates at about $90 US were too high for the quality of room I rec'd. I don't recommend this hotel for biz travelers. Stick to the Holiday Inn, which I've heard is also not great.

• Stayed May 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

Pros:
Clean
NIce decor
marble bathrooms
nice toiletries
blowdrier/coffemaker
self-creating code for in room safe
friendly staff
great location - corner from cathedral
many channels-including english/spanish
cafe was good. bkfst buffet available (about 9 usd)

Cons:
At checkout, a 20% gratuity was added to our bill
Our room was facing the street, and the bar across the street was so loud that we couldn't sleep at night--4th floor facing street
The room key has to be placed in switch in order for electricity to work in the room

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise at night
  • Stayed March 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Alameda Centro Historico Hotel? Share your experiences!