“Very good if you find a good rate” 4 of 5 stars

Alameda Centro Historico Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Madero Poniente 313, Morelia 58000, Mexico   |
Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Morelia
Mexico City, Mexico
“Very good if you find a good rate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

The location is unbeatable, however, the hotel is composed of two different buildings. We stayed at the renovated colonial building which is relatively new and quite good. The "modern" building, though, has older and much more cramped rooms. The breakfast was ok, not worth the price unless you want convenience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Mexico City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011 via mobile

This hotel is right off the cathedral/park. Our room was a weird L shape. Quite dark. No functioning outlet to plug in a computer except in bathroom. Water sloshed out of the tiny lip on shower stall and flooded bathroom. I would not return. BUt if you do stay here, know that the restaurant named Tricos along vaulted arcade is really good. We went for dinner, then back for breakfast.

• Stayed December 2011
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

My 75 year-old dad and I stayed at the Alameda for five days in May 2011 and were completely satisfied with the room, service, convenient location and price. I grew up going to Morelia once every couple years but never stayed in hotels because we had family there. I remember walking by the Alameda many times and wondering why it was weirdly modern compared to the historic buildings along the Avenida Madero. There are fancier, historic, boutique hotels just steps away but they cost two or three times as much. If you are looking for a central location, friendly service, and a clean, comfortable room this is a good choice. You will be across from the main plaza, close to many cafes, bars and restaurants, the candy market (mercado de dulces) which has an assortment of artisan candies, wood, textile and leather products, the university, cathedral and other impressive churches, banks, grocery stores, and just about every other kind of business you might want. A few things to consider:
- Our room was a double and the bathroom was a bit small but everything worked fine and we were comfortable.
- We requested a room with view because we wanted to see the cathedral at night. It is a great view but even with windows closed the street sounds were noticeable. This might be a problem for light sleepers.
- We did not eat at the hotel restaurant but it looked busy every morning for breakfast/brunch and in the evenings. You can opt for breakfast to be included in the room fee.
- The hotel offers parking for a small fee and it is totally worth getting if you are driving.
- This is an older hotel so there is no pool.
- There is a great convenience store downstairs for toiletries, liquor, soft drinks, snacks, etc

I recommend the Alameda if you are traveling on a budget and want to stay in the heart of the city.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Claremont, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

Great location. Extremely helpful staff, who went out of their way to help me. No problems with using Internet. Super shower pressure. Quiet interior room, but sometimes had to put up with people smoking cigarettes in the courtyard outside my door. (Next time, I might request a room off of the first floor.) The price was extremely fair. I would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Huntington Beach, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

Hotel needs to be updated. Good location, close to central square and main catherdal. Shopping not the best. Beds were OK. Bathrooms need to be reno. Staff was good, but needs to improve. I wished I had stayed across the street.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Rome, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

I've stayed at the Hotel Alameda three times before. I was struck immediately upon checking in today (yes, I am writing this review from inside the room I am reviewing) that the hotel staff was not as professional as before, the hotel overall was not as clean, and that the overall apperance and atmoshere was considerably diminished compared with my previous visits. I check in to the hotel at 5:30, hoping to work in my room tonight, have some room service, and continue my trip to Patzcuaro tomorrow morning without having to worry about anything--the exact kind of experience I have had at this hotel before. Unfortunately I found out that the services I had previously enjoyed at the hotel had all but disappeared. I called to place a room service order at 8 p.m. only to find that no one answered the phone. After two or three attemps I called the reception desk. The woman who answered the phone said that she would check to identify the problem and get back to me as soon as possible (I speak Spanish, so there was no problem communicating with her). After half a hour I tried calling room service again. No answer. I called back to reception. The woman I spoke with earlier said that there was only one waiter working in the hotel so that they were not offering room service today. Since I had purchased some soft drinks from a convenience store nearby when I checked in, I asked if I could have some ice delivered to my room (there was no ice bucket in my room and no mention of ice machines in the guest guide). She told me she would send up a bucket of ice immediately. Another hour as passed, I've gone back to the convenience store to buy a bag of ice, and have yet to receive the ice I ordered. I typically don't like ranting reviews at tripadvisor.com but I now have a new appreciation for what motivates people to write such reviews. I do not want anyone else to experience the disappointment and frustration I have had here tonight. There are other great hotels in Morelia, just as close to the Plaza, and clearly with better service than the Hotel Alameda.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

We stayed there for three nights and got one night free which made our stay great value. Beds are firm and comfy, bathroom spotless. Staff are very friendly. The carpark is close by. We stayed in the colonial part that has a lot more character than the new part.

We also ate in the restaurant, good service, nice food. decently priced.

No complaints whatsoever and will be definitely using this hotel again.

The shop outside (looks like it's part of the hotel) is very expensive, if you need bottle water is best to walk down the road to the nearby Oxxo.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Alameda Centro Historico Hotel? Share your experiences!