“A great disappointment” 2 of 5 stars
Review of City Express Morelia

You added City Express Morelia to your Saves list
City Express Morelia
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Portal Hidalgo 245 | Col. Centro, Morelia 58000, Mexico   |
Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Morelia
Taos, New Mexico
“A great disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2009

Formerly the Hotel Vallodolid, thiis is now a CityExpress hotel, sort of a Mexican Motel 6 with an attitude. The rooms seem to be clean although very small and sparsely furnished. The former hotel lobby has been rented to a fast food operator; the reception area is now a long, skinny room, containing a small registration desk, that was probably intended to be a baggage room. For some reason the management thinks that this facility is worth about 25% more than the very nice Best Western Hotel Casino located next door.

Words cannot express how happy we were that they had also lost our reservation. The staff at the reception desk didn't seem very disappointed either.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Taos, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

Actually, there no longer is a Hotel Vallodolid in Morelia. It is now a CityExpress hotel, sort of a Mexican Motel 6 with an attitude. The rooms seem to be clean although very small and sparsely furnished. The former hotel lobby has been rented to a fast food operator; the reception area is now a long, skinny room, containing a small registration desk, that was probably intended to be a baggage room. For some reason the management thinks that this facility is worth about 25% more than the very nice Best Western Hotel Casino located next door.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Hermosillo, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

Despite of what I read here, I decided to stay at the City Express Morelia (Hotel Valladolid). It is now part of a small mexican chain, of budget priced bussiness hotels, so I had no great expectations. Check-in was fast and the guy at the register was very friendly and corteous. They had my reservation, so I lost no time. They told me the hotel has no parking (as it is very common in Morelia) but they have an arrangement with a nearby parking, for just 50 pesos a night (10 pesos less than the regular rate), which I think is a good bargain. As I read here, I asked for a room with a balcony. It was located on the 3rd floor. There are just a few rooms per floor and there is a very nice living room just after the elevator. Room is, as I imagined, small and "minimalist" (or should I say, monacal?), but well appointed: clean, nice, WITH A CEILING FAN AND ALSO A MINISPLIT UNIT. View was spectacular!!!! And, as for the bathroom, besides being a little bit too small, it had everything one can need, except a hair dryer (which I don't use, by the way). Hot water was HOT and they have new showers with a very good pressure. They also have free internet and some tables and chairs at the "portales" which is also very nice.
Mine was a good experience, though, and I'm lookin forward to stay here. I knoe there are better hotel rooms in Morelia, but not with this view ans at this price. By the way, the only noise I heard came from the adjacent plaza, with music 24/7, which is a nice noise, too.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

We stayed 3 nights for our first trip to Morelia. The receptionist was literally making fun of us, as she though I did not speak spanish. This hotel has been recently purchased by city express hotels, and did not have any previous reservations! we had to wait for hours to have our room. Once installed, the room was extremelly small, a sort of full bed that would not really feet a 6'1" person, not 2 people on the shower. Very, very small. Even the elevator is very claustrofobic. We requested one extra pillow AND THEY DID NOT HAVE IT. You have to go in person to the front desk in the middle of the night because the woman won't answer the phone. really awfull. The hotel is very well located but you have other options, don't waist your precious time this people are a joke over there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — almost everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

To be fair, it had just opened when I stayed there. Rooms are small, but very well, attractively designed. Laminate floors, nice bedding, LCD TV. Very cool decor. Nice storage area. Baths had vessel sinks, which I don't care for, but I know a lot of people think they are cool. And it keeps you from accidentally knocking your stuff into the sink since the counter area is small. I had a room with a balcony overlooking the square and cathedral.

However, the hot water didn't work in my room, or anywhere else in the hotel as it turned out. I took a tepid shower the first night, then told them when I went out the next morning. Then I asked about it around noon and again in the afternoon and evening. Each time I was told different stories about how it would be looked at. It never was. Then, when it was obviously too late for any story about a plumber coming, the desk clerk went around to each room trying the water and it turned out it didn't work none of them had hot water. I don't know why no one else complained as there had been a couple other rooms occupied.

Finally, late that night I complained until it was arranged for me to get a room at Catedral for the same rate, where the rooms are shabby with cheap motel quality bedding and awful carpeting, but large and with plenty of high pressure hot water.

So anyway, the price was inexpensive and the place attractive, so i say it's worth a shot. The designer did a great job. Maybe by now, the management has figured out how to run the place.

Oh, and there were no clocks in the room. For the vibe they were going for, there should have been CD playing clock radios. With iPod docks.

Also, the staff didn't speak English, which doesn't seem to be widely spoken in the area. If you don't speak any Spanish, you should stick to the higher end hotels or chains..

• Liked — Price, location, clean new decor and quality bedding
  • Disliked — Poor staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2008

Hotel Valladolid is just off the Cathedral and one of the main plazas of Morelia. I stayed here on a Saturday night, but my room was free of street noise (but not free of the noise from my neighbours).

The rooms are modern and clean. Quite small, but OK size in comparison with European hotels in which I stayed before.

The hotel does not offer breakfast, but just outside of the hotel there are plenty of places to eat, overlooking the beautiful cathedral.

The staffs are kind and helpful, and the hotel offers a free parking space in a nearby private parking lot.

But they have two downsides.
1. My room did not have an air conditioning system at all (only the bathroom had a noisy ventilation), and the only window was locked to prevent guests from opening it (maybe for security?). I asked my friends who shared a twin room, and their room didn't have an air conditioner either. I must say that the room is quite claustrophobic not because of the size but because of the lack of air flow.

2. The walls are really thin, so the noise from neighboring rooms and the corridor bothered me a lot, especially early in the morning. Due to its central location, I was a bit worried about the street noise, but curiously this was no problem at all. Instead, the noise from upstairs and from the corridor early in the morning was really annoying.

Overall, I think that Hotel Valladolid offers a good value.

• Liked — Location and cleaness
  • Disliked — Lack of air in the room, noise from the corridor
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2007

This is a nice little modern hotel off the Plaza de Armas. While there are many nice places to stay in Morelia, we chose this one because we were in a crunch. My fiance came down with a dehabilitating migraine just an hour before our bus arrived and she couldn't walk. I tried a number of hotels in the area over the phone but no one could get us a room before 3pm and that was 3 hours away. It would have been hell to ask her to wait. So I hit up the Valladolid and they said they could let us have one of their suites while our room was prepared. They were so accomodating, gentle and nice that my fiance still talks about the Michoacan hospitality she received.

In the end they just let us stay in the suite at no extra charge.

Throughout the ordeal they went above and beyond to give as much comfort to my fiance as possible.

The rooms are lovely, although some of the rooms are interior rooms and more modern. I understand the "older" rooms are quite lovely and have some have a balcony. Morelia is a charming colonial city with beautiful architecture, but it is the people that set it apart!

Stayed July 2006

Been to City Express Morelia? Share your experiences!