“Awfull service, doesn't worth it” 2 of 5 stars
Review of City Express Morelia

You added City Express Morelia to your Saves list
City Express Morelia
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Portal Hidalgo 245 | Col. Centro, Morelia 58000, Mexico   |
Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Morelia
CA
“Awfull service, doesn't worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

We stayed 3 nights for our first trip to Morelia. The receptionist was literally making fun of us, as she though I did not speak spanish. This hotel has been recently purchased by city express hotels, and did not have any previous reservations! we had to wait for hours to have our room. Once installed, the room was extremelly small, a sort of full bed that would not really feet a 6'1" person, not 2 people on the shower. Very, very small. Even the elevator is very claustrofobic. We requested one extra pillow AND THEY DID NOT HAVE IT. You have to go in person to the front desk in the middle of the night because the woman won't answer the phone. really awfull. The hotel is very well located but you have other options, don't waist your precious time this people are a joke over there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — almost everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

To be fair, it had just opened when I stayed there. Rooms are small, but very well, attractively designed. Laminate floors, nice bedding, LCD TV. Very cool decor. Nice storage area. Baths had vessel sinks, which I don't care for, but I know a lot of people think they are cool. And it keeps you from accidentally knocking your stuff into the sink since the counter area is small. I had a room with a balcony overlooking the square and cathedral.

However, the hot water didn't work in my room, or anywhere else in the hotel as it turned out. I took a tepid shower the first night, then told them when I went out the next morning. Then I asked about it around noon and again in the afternoon and evening. Each time I was told different stories about how it would be looked at. It never was. Then, when it was obviously too late for any story about a plumber coming, the desk clerk went around to each room trying the water and it turned out it didn't work none of them had hot water. I don't know why no one else complained as there had been a couple other rooms occupied.

Finally, late that night I complained until it was arranged for me to get a room at Catedral for the same rate, where the rooms are shabby with cheap motel quality bedding and awful carpeting, but large and with plenty of high pressure hot water.

So anyway, the price was inexpensive and the place attractive, so i say it's worth a shot. The designer did a great job. Maybe by now, the management has figured out how to run the place.

Oh, and there were no clocks in the room. For the vibe they were going for, there should have been CD playing clock radios. With iPod docks.

Also, the staff didn't speak English, which doesn't seem to be widely spoken in the area. If you don't speak any Spanish, you should stick to the higher end hotels or chains..

• Liked — Price, location, clean new decor and quality bedding
  • Disliked — Poor staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2008

Hotel Valladolid is just off the Cathedral and one of the main plazas of Morelia. I stayed here on a Saturday night, but my room was free of street noise (but not free of the noise from my neighbours).

The rooms are modern and clean. Quite small, but OK size in comparison with European hotels in which I stayed before.

The hotel does not offer breakfast, but just outside of the hotel there are plenty of places to eat, overlooking the beautiful cathedral.

The staffs are kind and helpful, and the hotel offers a free parking space in a nearby private parking lot.

But they have two downsides.
1. My room did not have an air conditioning system at all (only the bathroom had a noisy ventilation), and the only window was locked to prevent guests from opening it (maybe for security?). I asked my friends who shared a twin room, and their room didn't have an air conditioner either. I must say that the room is quite claustrophobic not because of the size but because of the lack of air flow.

2. The walls are really thin, so the noise from neighboring rooms and the corridor bothered me a lot, especially early in the morning. Due to its central location, I was a bit worried about the street noise, but curiously this was no problem at all. Instead, the noise from upstairs and from the corridor early in the morning was really annoying.

Overall, I think that Hotel Valladolid offers a good value.

• Liked — Location and cleaness
  • Disliked — Lack of air in the room, noise from the corridor
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2007

This is a nice little modern hotel off the Plaza de Armas. While there are many nice places to stay in Morelia, we chose this one because we were in a crunch. My fiance came down with a dehabilitating migraine just an hour before our bus arrived and she couldn't walk. I tried a number of hotels in the area over the phone but no one could get us a room before 3pm and that was 3 hours away. It would have been hell to ask her to wait. So I hit up the Valladolid and they said they could let us have one of their suites while our room was prepared. They were so accomodating, gentle and nice that my fiance still talks about the Michoacan hospitality she received.

In the end they just let us stay in the suite at no extra charge.

Throughout the ordeal they went above and beyond to give as much comfort to my fiance as possible.

The rooms are lovely, although some of the rooms are interior rooms and more modern. I understand the "older" rooms are quite lovely and have some have a balcony. Morelia is a charming colonial city with beautiful architecture, but it is the people that set it apart!

Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2003

We have heard that the second floor room are pleasant with small balconies overlooking the Plaza de Armas (one of the most beuatiful and tranquil plazas anywhere). Unfortunately we were stuck on the ground floor in the back of the hotel in a room that may once have been a garage. Comfortable enough, but very spartan. The staff were all young and little English was spoken, but they were as helpful as they could be. You are paying for the excellent location a stone's throw from the cathedral, but insist on a front side, upstairs room if you plan to stay there. Morelia is very much worth a two ro three days stay. Make sure you have a light weater and long pants -- it get's shilly in the venings, particularly in the rainy summer months.

Been to City Express Morelia? Share your experiences!