“Cooper's Beach - A Lament” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Coopers Beach Holiday Park - Park Resorts

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mersea Island
Coopers Beach Holiday Park - Park Resorts
You added Coopers Beach Holiday Park - Park Resorts to your Saves list
Church Lane | East Mersea, Mersea Island CO5 8TJ, England   |
Hotel deals
Gt Yarmouth
“Cooper's Beach - A Lament”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The colourful brochure looked so grand, we all got so excited
But when we got to Cooper's Beach, we were less than delighted.
The caravan was cramped and small, and lots of things were missing,
A holiday romance was out - there wasn't room to kiss in.
"Relaxing Programme of Events", I really should have known
Meant just us four sat in the bar, drink-less, and alone.
And when the bar staff did arrive, excitement soon passed by,
It seem the wine confounded them; which medium? Which dry?
The only food available, was from the Takeaway,
But all that grease required a price my thighs just could not pay.
But as this place was largely closed, I found it easy to diet -
And with arcades bereft of staff, the kids just all ran riot!
Babes of thirteen played the slots; unwatched they gambled free,
Two boys tipped up one hapless game for every last 2p.
"Plenty of Facilities" were promised on arrival,
But only trips away from camp ensured mental survival.
The tiny shop was poorly stocked, the prices astronomical,
But as the door was often locked, it turned out economical.
Don't get me wrong, the kids had fun, but Cooper's Beach again?
With British Holidays as they stand, next year we'll go to Spain.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Wakefield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have rated Coopers Beach as Average, there were parts of the holiday/experience of staying there that were very good and some not so good. before departing for my holiday I tried to call the park a couple of days beforehand. I was hung up on 3 times!

Once I arrived I found the receptionist to be a nice girl, she gave me very good directions to caravan I was staying in. It was bronze standard and I have no complaints it was clean and tidy, more than enough space and was warm. I had problems with the gas and a friendly handyman came out pretty quickly and sorted me out (my error not knowing how to use it rather than there being a problem!). I would probably suggest some kind of sign or notes to be left in the caravans with instructions on how to use the fire and gas cooker?! not all of us have them.

I only went to the club house once, it was the end of the season so I wasn't personally expecting any entertainment to be on. There was a splattering of people and the kids were being entertained by an entertainer. I have been to other caravan parks at the end of season where they don't provide any after a certain date so this did impress me.

Unfortunately for me I couldnt get any phone signal on the park so kept having to drive to colchester to get a signal. I could have managed without but with no phone or internet (the wifi charge in the club house is ridiculous be warned) I felt a bit cut off.

I had a lovely walk down the beach and those complaing about mud etc if you walked down the beach you would have found the sand!

Coopers Beach on Mersea Island is perfect if you are wanting a complete getaway with no distractions and not about having someone entertain your kids (that's what you are parent's for no?) but more for those wanting a gentle and relaxed holiday.

Room Tip: Go for gold, the bronze are basic but I had a walk around and the gold & platinumn standard cara...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
essex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Even if you are wanting a little weekend away do NOT go here!
I have just arrived back home and the first thing i wanted to do was come on here to warn other people about this awful place
myself and my husband arrived at coopers beach on friday 5th october 2012 we only booked a bronze caravan but even this caravan wernt up to that standard (the saltings no 28) was the caravan we stayed in for the first night only beacause the staff was not around for me to complain to and ask to be moved, there was cob webs everywhere, marked walls, dirty carpets, stained furniture and the beds were like sleeping on a pavement as for the club house if you are looking for a diease this is the place to go!!!
germs galore, dirty tables, dirty chairs and the smell was really old and damp andas for entertainment they couldnt entertain if they tried total useless
On saturday 6th oct the first thing i did was go to reception and complain that I couldnt stay in such filth but i must say the receptionist Jess was very nice and managed to move myself and my husband but to our disgust we had to pay an extra £30 to be upgraded which i thought was beyond belief just because the cleaner couldnt do there job prooperly it was more expense for us!!! Saturday night just got worse we thought we would not be so hasty so myself my husband and close family all decided to give the club house another go big mistake, during the evening my aunt needed the loo she was gone no more then a couple of seconds when she come back and said they is no way she could go in there as someone had pooed on the toilet seat and left it there, this was the one toilet in the bar area what filth. on the sunday me and my husband decided 1 last drink wont hurt just dont use the toilet 5.45am this morning started with a stomach upset didnt think I would make it home luckily i did but what a real bad experience never ever again even if someone paid me would i go the place should be shut down for good, nothing for no one to do and kids will be bored silly!!!! just a word of warning peeps health and safety should get there quick!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sidcup, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I visited the site in August with my son, brother and sister-in-law. We stayed in a silver plus caravan which was a bit tired but clean. The site is good for young children but for teenagers, apart from the amusement arcade and the swimming pool, it's a bit bleak. There seems to be a shortage of staff in the bar and restaurant with all doing their best to keep everyone happy. When you leave the bar in the evening you will see the entertainments team still at work and then when you go to the bar/amusement area in the morning you will see the same entertainments team at work with the young kids. No idea when they sleep but the same three, Martin, Zoe and Laura, always seem to be on the go, and the youngsters seem to love them. If you walk to the end of the lodges you will find a sandy beach but agree there is quite a lot of mud and the tide goes out a fair way. It's a very compact camp, in the middle of nowhere, and would go again but only for a long weekend.

Room Tip: Take groceries with you as the only shop on site can work out expensive
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Coopers Beach – Mersea Island – Highly Recommended

Booked via Hoseasons for 2 weeks in Sept 2012.
This site is run by the Park Resorts group and is a credit to them.
I had taken the Gold class of caravan with 2 bedrooms. I had chosen this site as the price was very good compared to other sites in the area. Not having been to this part of the UK before I was unsure how this holiday would work out.

Accommodation
Very clean – To be honest, late in the season you expect the accommodation to be a little the “used”. But I have to say the caravan was very nice and well appointed with beds made up ready for the guests. Good cooking facilities with all the normal equipment supplied.
All in all, just what you need for 2 weeks of comfy relaxation.

Site
A lovely site with own beach front and sea wall to take long walks on.
Ideal for elderly and disabled as every care has been taken to provide easy access.
The site complex has 2 swimming pools, shop, arcade, bar (with Costa), restaurant and takeaway outlet.
I have to recommend the food here as it is good quality and an excellent price and best of all available all day!!!
The staff were polite and always happy to please. All facilities were available late in the season and the children’s entertainers were still putting all the entertainment for the few kids still on site.
Every day the maintenance team were tending to the site and I can imagine that it looked as good in Sept as it did at the start of the season.

Out and About
Quite a lot to do in this area, Colchester Zoo is 20min drive and there are a number of very well run wildlife reserves in the locality.
Best Fish & Chips has to be the Island Fish Bar.
The town of West Mersea is very pleasant.
Nice country pubs
Just a good place for young and old alike.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

There is no sand on the beach, just mud. So if you have young children go somewhere else. The site looks drab and neglected and outside our caravan from the kitchen window of the one next door were used teabags and a scourer on the grass.
When we arrived at 6.30 pm the reception was closed, despite it saying on our letter it would be open until 7 pm. We eventually tracked a member of staff down who gave us our key. The caravan smelled of stale cigarettes and the upholstery could have done with a shampoo. The sofa was grubby. We will not use that site again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Park R, General Manager at Coopers Beach Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
The beach here is a sand/pebble beach, however when the tide is out it can be very muddy. Regular litter picks are made to ensure the park is free of litter and I will ensure these are more regular so thank you for bringing this to my attention. We do our best to enforce no smoking inside caravans. I wish we had been informed of this while you were on park in order to rectify. :o( Signs are put up in our reception to say staff can be located out of reception hours by phoning security or by heading to the entertainment centre. I do hope this won’t put you off visiting us again, or one of our other parks.
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

The wife and I booked for 4 nights (10-14 Sept) through a national paper deal (you know the one!). When we arrived, which was about 2 hours before we should have done, the caravan was ready, which was good. The site itself is small and there isn't a great deal to do for the kids or adults. The beach is right outside the clubhouse, however its not one you can make sandcastles on as its mostly stones and seaweed.

The caravan itself was ok, however I did find crumbs and bits of food on the sofa when I sat down. The general condition of it was 'well used' as the sofas were a little threadbare and the flooring had holes in it. Park resorts give you a welcome pack which has a voucher booklet that you can use. One of the offers is 15% off at Colchester Zoo which I will cover later. Once we unpacked we ventured to the club house which was about a 50 metre walk from the caravan (we had number 35 the saltings).

Prices were a little higher than the local pub, as you would expect, but everything was as it should be. The food was fantastic and I thouroughly enjoyed all the meals I ordered. If you are planning to have dinner there, make sure you order by 6pm as you can take advantage of the multibuy meal offers. As far as drinks went, they had a relatively good range of alcohol and soft drinks. Don't bother with the 4 pint pitcher deal, the only reason was that one of the lager options worked out that you only saved 60p by buying it in a pitcher rather than buying it per pint.

The week that we were there you could appreciate that it was 'quiet', but apart from us, there were appoximately 15-20 other people there on any given night. I didn't find that too much of an issue, and when there were kids in the room, the entertainment staff made the effort for them. Evening entertainment for the adults was a little laboured and the staff did struggle to find things to do.

If you love the cash bingo as we both do, please be warned! The bingo games are linked with the other park resorts holiday parks so your chances of winning become a lot thinner than if it was at the park itself. However that does mean if you are lucky enough to win the prizes are massive, usually starting at about £200.

Away from the park, you can head into Colchester city centre and do a spot of shopping. Parking was relatively easy, and it was only a short walk to the local shops. All the main high street brands are there and all within the vicinity of the town centre.

Make sure you pay a visit to Colchester zoo!! An absolutely amazing day out and all ages will thouroughly enjoy it. The highlight for me was feeding one of the elephants. Prices were £17.99 per adult, expensive but thouroughly worth it (don't forget to take the voucher!!).

On the whole, a nice stay but there is room for a lot of improvement. However I will be booking at Haven in the future as, although this may not have been one of park resorts 'flagship' parks, its not one I will return to.

Room Tip: Pay no attention to the fitness centre or room service as there were neither at this park.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Coopers Beach Holiday Park - Park Resorts? Share your experiences!