“Wonderful stay... food out of this world!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Cottage Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hope Cove
The Cottage Hotel
You added The Cottage Hotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Grand View Road | Nr Kingsbridge, Hope Cove, Salcombe TQ7 3HJ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Hope Cove
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Derby, United Kingdom
“Wonderful stay... food out of this world!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I have meant to sit down and write a review about the Cottage many times but have only now got around to doing it. I stayed just the one night with my fiancee (7th March '14) on what turned out to be the hottest and sunniest weekends in March I can recall.

On first arrival you are greeted by the vista from the hotel's car park. This is a very unspoilt and little known part of the world and the seaside is adorned by historic fishing cottages so is picture postcard material.

There was a friendly reception waiting from the check in staff and we were promptly shown to our room. I had booked a room with a balcony and I am very glad I did. With the sunny weather it was very relaxing sitting with such a nice view listening to the waves crashing on the rocks. The room was nicely decorated and a nice feature was that the TV was on a swivel mount so my partner could watch TV through the bath doorway, this made her very happy indeed.

When we booked the room it came automatically with dinner and you had to opt out but the price difference was not that great, so I did not. This was a good move as the Cottage's USP is very definitely the dining experience. Dinner is quite a formal affair and I was a bit worried that I did not have a tie but staff assured me that it would be fine. As it transpired hardly anyone was wearing formal dining attire so it worked out well.

Pre-diner was a pleasant experience. Having a quiet drink in the bar and lounge area, the Maitre d (William) dressed in formal wear made an effort to go to every table and speak to all the diners. From some of the snippets of conversations which drifted across the room, it sounds like the majority of diners were guests who had stayed at the Cottage year on year. From later conversations with William it turned out that the Cottage has been run by his family since the 1970's and he now runs it.

Dinner consisted of a 5 course dining experience which surpassed any I have had before in terms of quality of food, service and attention to detail. Every course was absolutely delicious and would not be out of place in any top restaurant. Even the cheese platter at the end had and amazing array of fresh local cheeses which showed how seriously this hotel takes food as most places would buy them from a supermarket.

Dessert came around on a dessert trolley, the likes of which I have not seen for many years. I would estimate from the age of the trolley, it had done many hundreds of miles up and down the dining room over the years but had been lovingly maintained and polished. What was really nice to see was the waiting staff really looking like they enjoyed their jobs. All too often, a dining experience can be soured by waiters and waitresses who look like they really do not want to be there. All the waiting staff genuinely seemed to enjoy what they were doing and took pride in the service they gave which brought a real buzz to the dining room.

One thing we really liked about the Cottage is how it embraces its past. There are dozens and dozens of old photos and memorabilia decking the walls. If you have seen the Hotel Inspector, she tells Hoteliers to strip down such historical items to a minimum but at the Cottage it works really well as you get a real feel for the local history. For example, there are B&W photos of the long past local fishermen and their catches, large party's at the Cottage and well maintained original features of this old building. There is a snug bar which looks like a ship with all the photos of the Ships which came go grief on the jagard rocks in the local area which was really interesting. Whilst sitting in front of the old fireplace we noticed an old photo of the very same fireplace with a group of sailors huddled around it taken a hundred years ago, the very night they were ship wrecked and taken in by the hotel. We find this type of history absolutely fascinating.

All in all our stay at the Cottage was very relaxing and very memorable and we certainly intend to become one of the many regulars who frequent this hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a balcony room on the second floor for the view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Harpenden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stumbled upon this family run hotel, nestled on the cliff above Hope a Cove. It's a real gem of an English hotel, delightful staff, fascinating photos of local history, and a wonderful tray of afternoon tea.

Check out the cabin of the ship wrecked in the 1930's and now standing beside the bar.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Clevedon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Cottage hotel last year for a two night stay with dinner. I have always wanted to go there so it was a special treat for us , and more than we would usually spend. I was a little disappointed with the bedroom as smaller than I expected but adequate enough for us. The scenery from the hotel was superb, and Hope Cove is a haven for anyone who wants to be away from the crowds. All the staff were very helpful, we had told them I had trouble with the stairs and we thin they felt the room was appropriate for us. The food was the best I had tasted in a long time, five courses in fact, and they had even catered for me being diabetic and made me special sweets. The menu was excellent and varied, nothing could be too much trouble for the staff. it gave me an excuse to dress up as quite formal and you are informed this in a write up. We didn't want to go home as enjoyed our stay so much, and are saving our pennies up for the next visit..

Room Tip: Cottage hotel is not really suitable for anyone with mobility difficulties as no lifts to the room...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Cottage hotel for just 1 night on our wedding anniversary and had a wonderful time. The food was excellent, a lot of it! The views from the balcony were amazing, we had one of the sea view rooms. I would defiantly recommend it. Yes it's a little old fashioned,but this just adds to it's charm.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

This hotel is in an excellent location looking over the roofs of the old houses to the sea. Our room had a balcony which was a wonderful place to enjoy the view. The rooms are clean but a little tired and old-fashioned.

The restaurant also has great views and the food and service were excellent. However, the food presentation could be better. Breakfast was OK but I'm not keen on hot food being kept warm in self-service containers. Also the choice of fruit and yoghurts could be improved.

All in all good value, if a little quirky and a bit old fashioned. However the view is compelling.

Room Tip: If staying here you really need a Sea View room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Devon uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

There cannot be many places on the Devon coast better for a crab sandwich,a cold beer and a view of the cove below. Delicious crab, overflowing from the sandwich, dog friendly on the terrace and in the hotel.
A little old fashioned but with families returning year by year they must have got the recipe right, can 't wait to return.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I know the hotel well. We used to choose to go there for the menus and the view. Although they still source the best local ingredients, the service and menus are not what they were. Dress code is not adhered to and waiters are amateur. Sadly not as good as it was and some would find aspects unacceptably poor.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Cottage Hotel? Share your experiences!