“Quiet, small resort on beautiful beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos

You added Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos to your Saves list
Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km 29 San Jose del Cabo, San Jose del Cabo BCS 23409, Mexico (Formerly Playa Del Sol Los Cabos)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #28 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Saskatoon
“Quiet, small resort on beautiful beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

The 'resort' combines one newer building of timeshare rooms and one building with privately owned condos and hotel suites and rooms. It used to be a hotel/ timeshare called Puesta del Sol and now has added to the 'collection' one of the buildings (building AB) from the La Jolla group (5 buildings of privately owned condos) which is shoulder to shoulder with the Bel Air property.

There is a lovely Palapa roofed, reception area, two other palapa buildings one with a lounge/sushi bar up top and a meeting room down and one with an evening restaraunt above an all day open air type restaurant. A small spa area for a variety of massages, manis and pedis $47 to $85, facials body scrubs etc. prices for massage currently range from $45US for 30 min to $150 for two for romantic night beach massage. We know of one couple who wanted a couples massage but there was only one 'therapist' available so maybe book ahead if you want this service.

There are two pools at the complex. One with a swim up bar by the beachfront - only children over 12 allowed, and one warmer pool Infront of the condo building for kids too that allows floaties and such. Most of the time the pools have been very quiet with few people using them. Not a lot of kids here mostly adults couples.

The beach is deep and miles long with people scattered lightly on it - mostly pretty deserted, though people walk up and down through the day. NOT a SWIMMIMG beach. Some people who know what they are doing swim here and some who are just plain risk takers but the red flags and danger signs are everywhere along this beach. It is dangerous to swim here. Currents come and go quickly and waves change character quickly, sometimes 'unannounced'. Be very aware of the ocean at all times here! We have had the exciting experience of seeing hatching turtles and turtles laying their eggs on the beach at sunrise.

There is a tiny 'gym' with a couple of bikes, treadmills and an elliptical and a few hand weights.

We have not eaten in the restaurants much but we hear mixed reviews. Our experience has been pretty good. Tacos Asada 80 pesos at lunch were very good, tender beef nicely spiced and a good price for San Jose (which we find quite expensive) and the ceviche and pescadillas were very good. Others have said the Lasagna upstairs was very good. There are different chefs for up and down restaraunts. Will keep posted on forum re food as we are here for another two months.

The general staff here are very welcoming and most reception staff are helpful and considerate. There have been a couple at the reception who are not especially helpful but there is usually more than one there so we use the 'good' ones if necessary.

**** Now for the tricky part. If you are staying in the AB building as a renter from a private owner you are not really considered a guest of Bel Air and may get questioned by staff when using the cabanas and chairs at the beach or by the pool. We did not but some have. HOWEVER. If you register you card for $100US per room at the desk this becomes your credit for restaurants and bars and you can use all facilities and get spa towels no problem. It lasts for a month even if you use up your credit on the first day! You can also buy all inclusive days if you like. I think they are approx 54 a person till 6 pm. You can do this even if you are staying at La Jolla next door.

We are renting a condo so for us the value is very good. Hotel rooms may be expensive. You will have to compare. Condos are generally roomy and very nice to have here.

The biggest problem with this, and many other resorts down this stretch is the noise from the coast corridor highway which goes till very late at night. Bring ear plugs. The resort property itself by the pools and beach is quiet but many of the bedrooms get a lot of noise.

This is not a party spot! No aqua gym by the pool, no raunchy music in the afternoon blasting out. Monday night the lounge has a singer - that is it for entertainment. There is Zippers beach bar about 10 min walk down the beach with music at night till 10 in one direction and the Coral Baja in the other direction about 5min on beach has music at night and happy hour around the pool. Anyone can go there. About a block along the highway - you can walk - is Sardinas restaraunt with very good food and is a nice place, a little further is El Salsas which has pretty good reviews for evening casual eating. After that you can keep walking to Mega grocery store 15min to the strip where you catch the local buses 'Urbanos' for 11pesos to go straight into centro - a short bus ride. This 'strip' is a lovely are with shops and modern bars and eateries, some entertainment and ice cream and coffee shops - fun and all the big hotels along the way.

Go to centro for the art walk on Thursday nights it is excellent with lots of people on the streets which are closed to traffic. Take a cab home for $8 US cause Urbanos stop at about 8:30ish.

San Jose is much quieter than Cabo san Lucas. Enjoy your trip

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
BelAirCabosGerencia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
WOW!

Out of all the reviews that we've had, this is THE most detailed review. Congratulations and Thank you!

We enjoy when our guest understand perfectly who we are and how many things we have to offer if you have an open heart to get to know us.

Thank you again for the review, we hope to see you back in no time!

Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Reno, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

The Bel Air Collection Resort is a hotel that has three lodging buildings. The new building is on the beach. The older buildings are part of the Bel Air collection and also called La Jolla condominiums. The Bel Air Collection owns about half of the rooms in the AB buildings in The La Jolla. The AB buildings are divided between odd number and even number rooms. The other half of the rooms are privately owned condominiums. Some are rented out.
I rented a condo from a private owner in the odd number AB building beginning on 1/1/14. I planned a three month stay. When I arrived, the elevator was broken. The driver from the transportation company had to carry three 45 lb suitcases up 5 flights of stairs. Over the course of the next twelve days, I took the elevator three times after it was repaired on approximately 1/3/14. The first two times the elevator would shake when it arrived at a floor and sometimes not open promptly. The third time I took the elevator only because I needed to do laundry. I didn't want to carry the laundry up and down five flights of stairs. I saw a woman exit the elevator in the odd numbered AB building on the first floor. I thought I'd be okay if I took the elevator up to my condo on the fifth floor. I was sorely mistaken! As the elevator arrived on the fifth floor, it shook and suddenly dropped five flights with me in it on 1/12/14. I was tossed about the elevator. I bruised my arms, back and severely jarred my knees. The doors took several minutes to open on the first floor, I promptly reported the accident to the front desk staff around 7am. They took my contact information. I was told the elevator would be repaired when the maintenance men arrived later that day. As the day went on, I began to hurt more. When I woke up the following day, I was in a lot of pain. Over 24 hours after the accident, I was never contacted by the Bel Air management. I contacted the General Manager, Armando Ortiz Navarro. He explained that he had been managing this property for only seven weeks at the time of my accident. He explained the history of the maintenance issues with the 25 year old elevator. He told me that he wasn't aware that anyone was inside of the elevator when it broke. He never offered to get me medical attention. I asked him if he had a massage therapist on staff. He said yes. I asked him if he would offer me a massage. He offered to have one of his massage therapists give me one 30 minute massage in my back, neck, shoulders and arms only. I was never contacted again by Armando. On 1/21/14, I asked the front desk to please move me to a first floor room since the elevator still had not been repaired. I couldn't physically walk up and down five flights of stairs anymore. My knees were in so much pain! I know that I was renting from a private owner and not through the hotel. I was hoping they would accommodate my needs since I was injured in the elevator that is maintained by the hotel and the homeowners association. I was told by the hotel that they couldn't accommodate me. All first floor units in all three buildings were unavailable. It didn't matter if they were available because the elevator was repaired that morning. I decided to leave that day and because my knees were in such pain. When the bellman took my luggage downstairs, I noticed he was carrying it. I asked him why if the elevator was working. He said it wasn't working. In fact he double checked with another employee. He was reassured me that elevator was not working. I find it interesting that I was told it was operational 7 hours earlier. I moved to another hotel and have cut my vacation short by 1.5 months due to the elevator accident.
If you decide to stay here, make sure you do not get a room in the odd numbered AB building. If you do, avoid the elevator!
The AB buildings are very close to the highway between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo so the units are noisy from traffic.
I was told I would have complimentary wifi connection from the hotel. I spoke with Edgar, the IT manager, several times because I could not connect my iPad even in the lobby. I had spotty service on my iPhone. If wifi connection is important to you while on vacation, I would think twice about staying at the Bel Air.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Airdrie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Upgrade your room - it's worth every penny! Master Suite Ocean view was only $100 more but it was a big suite with a full kitchen. Best ocean view room I have every had.
The Bel Air is great but the hotel needs to learn how to treat all inclusive guests. We had to sign for all drinks and food (what a hassle). Drinks were served from 10 AM - Midnight only. Again not great for AI. The staff were great. This hotel is beautiful - very clean and close to the surfing beach and zippers. Food is wonderful. Most people staying here were time share but the AI people should have a bracelet like every other AI resort.

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean View Master Suite. Building closest to ocean with a balcony.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
BelAirCabosGerencia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Thank you for your comments, we appreciate your point of view about the AI.

Part of Bel Air's mission to be different from everyone else we have decided not to use the bracelets to differ our guest. To us, everyone is VIP from the AI to our timeshare owners. Therefore it is actually up to the staff to recognize you.

You are certainly right about the excellent view we have. Something that not every hotel in Cabo can say about their property.

Warmest Regards.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

We won a trip to San Jose del Cabo and I imagine our lodgings were donated by a timeshare owner. A warning to those who have never before visited this part of the world - the pressure to visit and buy timeshares is unrelenting and begins the minute you step off the plane. We had to run a gauntlet of unscrupulous hawkers at the airport who had no reservations about pretending to be the car rental people we were seeking. When we finally got to the Payless office on the road leading to the airport, imagine our dismay when the office manager tried to strong-arm us into visiting a resort with which the asserted Payless was affiliated. A manager at the Mega store where we were picking up some bits and pieces also shilled us to visit "his" resort. By the time I had been in Mexico three hours, I was ready to leave. It was a lousy way to make a first impression.
The time share assault continued when we got to the resort. We had to endure yet another, although admittedly lower key, sales pitch before being shown to our rooms. Please folks, we have just gotten off the plane. We are tired, we are disoriented, we are hungry and after the attack of the sharks at the airport, we are suspicious. This IS NOT the best time to pitch your product.

The Bel-Air resort was scrupulously clean and well maintained. It is a small resort compared to the super-sized communities nearby but there was plenty of staff. Our rooms overlooked the beach and had a beautiful view to the left. To the right there was an empty lot where the resort parked cars and where miscellaneous construction material was stored. The resort itself is quiet, or at least it was when we were there. The nearby highway is pretty noisy, though and is distracting when traffic is heavy. The free continental breakfast buffet, between 6 and 7 AM is only convenient for really early risers and has rather sparse offerings. We ate breakfast at the resort one day and it was decent and the service was good and friendly.

Our experiences at the Bel-Air were mixed. The staff we encountered mostly worked really, really hard and were very social. Special thanks to Victor who retrieved and parked our car and always seemed to be on duty. Aaron was also a great help as he installed a router in our room to boost a struggling Internet signal. Other experiences were not so positive. The shower drain was very slow, causing the water in the drain pan to come perilously close to spilling out onto the bathroom floor. We notified the desk that this was a problem and although they assured us that it would be corrected, the drain continued to run just as slowly. We began using the bathroom in the adjoining bedroom. Since the spa hours are not printed on the brochure in the room, I went through the desk to arrange a massage. We were on East Coast time and were rising early and I called the desk at around 8:30-9AM and was told they would ring back with the times. After waiting over an hour, I rang the desk again and booked a massage for 11. When I arrived at the spa at 10:55, there was no one there although there were people in the back. After waiting for 35 minutes, I started looking for someone to help. The spa had not record of my appointment. They had an opening at noon - another half hour wait - but I had already waited most of the morning to get this underway and had other plans.

The location was beautiful and conveniently located between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas. We rented a car and were grateful for the mobility.

Room Tip: Try for a room in the center of the resort where you buildings block the views of the vacant lots th...
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Extra clean place, people always with a smile and finding the way to please you, the food was very good, We had breakfast a la carte included and it was extremely good. Victor, the bellboy helped us in everyway! The best beach even to swim.
Roberto, the Chef, prepared us a romantic dinner and Pedro was attending us during the special night. Awesome moments and food was delicious and beautifully served! Pedro was also our waiter every morning. Jesus, another nice guy at the restaurant. There is not even one negative comment about the personnel nor the hotel.
The rooms are extra clean and we want to thank Lupita and Alhely, always very helpful. The guys at the front desk very professional, Rene, Aaron, Luis, Charlie, Alex and Isaac...all of them always nice and willing to help. If you are looking for a place to relax and enjoy the beach while you watch whales splashing 5 miles away from you, This is your place, you would not regret it! We also want to thank Abraham the concierge, all the advises he gave to us were just right!
Awesome 5 day vacation with my husband for our 9th anniversary! The rooms with beach view are the best ones!!
Rogelio is in charge of the 5 pm Champagne time, serving coffee, tea and cookies for everyone. Thank you all, for everything! The every nigh little sweets at your room are fantastic and the girls who deliver them are better. We will comeback soon! The Connors

Room Tip: The beach view rooms are the best ones but all of them are super nice.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

The sparkling welcome wine and the friendly check-in was a nice start to a nice week at this time-share/resort hotel.

The ocean-view and the sunrise we enjoyed every morning from our room were breathtakingly awesome.

THE BEST:

- The friendliness of the staff.
- The ocean view from room 1505B (a balcony room in the newer building).
- The pleasant décor and colour scheme of the room with kitchenette.
- The inviting lay-out of the pool area.
- Only 10 minutes ride from San Jose del Cabo.

THE WORST:

- The food served - omelette and fruits at breakfast, fish at the Sushi bar and Martini Bar and the creations at the dinner restaurant - were absolutely not up to standard. Have a serious look at your food management. The drinks - except for the marvellous Bloody Caesars concocted at the pool bar - were a bit weak and stingy.
- The undertow and huge waves unfortunately do not make it possible to swim from the beautiful beach.
- The pool water was kept too cold and kept people out of the water - except for the last day of our stay. We noticed that there are solar cells at the property, why are they not used to bring the pool temperature up in the cool season?
- The very, very noisy highway behind the hotel. The lack of sidewalks makes it necessary to take a taxi to even nearby places.

We were informed that a new building and a plaza are being constructed at the hotel, which will without doubt be nice when finished, but it could be a noise-feature in the meantime.

Back to the winter in Toronto, we, however, already miss the weather in Mexico, and we loved our stay at the friendliest of the Bel Air Collection resorts we have yet enjoyed.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms with balcony in the newer wing, e.g. 1505B, or 1605-6.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
BelAirCabosGerencia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for sharing your review!!

We are defenately commited on being better each day so for sure all the renovations and the areas of oportunity you mentioned will be addressed and fixed in no time. The construction is being planned as we type your answer precisely to guarantee the conformt and well being of all our guests. Do not hesitate that we'll do everything in our power to ensure no one is bothered by our plans to expand.

The unusual cold winds we have experienced in the last few weeks also do not help to make you feel the pool warmer!! But be sure the tempetarure never goes below 23°C. For the jacuzzi the lowest temperature is 36°C.

Us that live here in Cabos now that in all the corridor you won't find a proper sidewalk. We do apologize about the inconvenience but unlike other resorts we have access for you to take the public transportation as well so you don't rely only on taxis. This is a BIG plus if you consider some resorts are hidden far from the main highway and you have to rent a car or pay expensive taxi rides.

We hope you give us another chance to share more experiences in Los Cabos

Warmest Regards.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

My spouse and I bought in 1997 a fixed week one bedroom with full kitchen. Week no. 2 unit AB504. We've seen it all including all the management and name changes.
I can't address all the complaints that people have as everyone has different expectations and seeks to have different things satisfied. We look for weather (which the management cannot control) which was perfect this 2014, except for a little wind, which is not unusual. We look for peace and quiet, which this place offers in abundance. We don't care much about the food or drink as we do not partake much, although the drinks have improved over past years.
Major complaint. The elevator in our building was broken the entire week. We are one floor below the penthouse level. I wish I could say this was unusual but it is not. There have been many visits that the elevator has not worked. I know, however, that if I had asked to be moved to another unit they would do it as they have done in the past (and why not, the place appears to be more than half empty).
Another complaint is our kitchen. The management removed the stove from our unit, which was a full stove with cooktop and oven, and replaced it with a cooktop only. The cooking equipment and crockery leave so much to be desired that although one could manage to prepare meals with a cooktop and microwave, there are no adequate pots and pans, nor serving dishes (no salad bowl or colander, just as examples). These aspects were much better when we bought in 1997. Most disappointing.
Still, we manage to have a wonderful time (management, don't take that comment to mean you've fulfilled your commitment to us as "owners" as you now want to call us)
Our maintenance has gone up from $250 (US) to over $750 (US).
Of course this is in addition to the condo ownership.
I am happyish but I think the resort should do better.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your review with us.

We are actually in the process of renovating our elevator, since its a big expense it has taken a while before we could address this isuue in a proper manner. We know that since playa del sol left there's a lot of work. Neverless is its our duty to mantain the property up to a standar that brings comfort to all.

About the maintenance fees, if you have anymore questions how or why these prices are different from when you first got the membership, please refer to our Owner's Circle help desk: 1 866 260 0025 EXT.2

Warm Regards.

Been to Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos? Share your experiences!