“Pros and Cons to Cabo Azul” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cabo Azul Resort

You added Cabo Azul Resort to your Saves list
Cabo Azul Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo Malecon SN Lote 11 Fonatur, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Diego, California
“Pros and Cons to Cabo Azul”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Being a frequent visitor of Cabo we purchased a timeshare at Cabo Azul 4 years ago when they were part of Pacific Monarch, knowing that we would only ever come to this property. First as most people have stated it is a beautiful property if you know Dodd Mitchell's design he did not disappoint with this property.

Staff- Everyone was friendly for the most part. Encountered a very rude waiter at Javiers and Natalie at the "timeshare presentation" was dreadful.

Food- Average at best. Javiers' just okay. Food by the pool was good, but nothing to write home about. Drinks were good definitely try the tamarindo margarita. All in all I've had much better food in Cabo and other places. For the price of some of the food, I'd expect much better.

Accomodations- Rooms are beautiful we stayed in the penthouse. The room is large and gorgeous. This year unfortunately our room had tons- seriously tons of mosquitoes in it. Despite having the doors closed and having them come to spray several times we all got bitten pretty badly and this has never ever happened in Cabo before and there was no rain. Not sure what that was about.

Pools- Are the best feature of this property in my Opinion. The pools range from cool to quite warm. They are all no more than five feet so nice for kids. There's a little splash pool supposedly for kids but my one year old wanted no part of that.

All in all this is a nice place to stay. Is it a five star property? no. Are they trying to sell it as such? yes. Area for improvements..more kids activities, fitness classes, yoga on the beach, better quality food at Javiers.

Room Tip: Get a ocean view room. If you ask for a partial ocean it will be just that and it might be hard for...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Indio, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Fabulous! Cost $35 pp. Rodrigo is host. 8 people max. everything is made in front of you overlooking the ocean. I was skeptical, but will not miss this next time here! Very special!

The resort is five star, run by Diamond Resorts. Their flagship resort. The guys who work the pool area for food and drinks are superb. Eduardo, Juan Carlos, Juaquin, our favorites.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The rooms are AMAZING, the grounds are GORGEOUS, and the beds are very comfortable! The major things to note are that the resort does not seem to have very good lighting and the staff is not always the most available. With the exception of these two things, however, Cabo Azul Resort ensures you will have a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: There is a huge difference between the 2 and the 3 bedroom rooms, so if you are debating between the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have stayed in several properties in Cabo and I am very happy with all of them. I recently inherited a timeshare with monarch vacations so I was itching to stay here.

I have to admit, approaching the property is a little awkward: So is check in. It happens in the right wing of the property so when you enter, you come into the property from the right side of the pool. Which robs you of the magnanimity of this property.

They also have this mandatory sit down with a concierge which explains what's going on at the hotel and points out where everything is (including your room). It's cool. But then they ask you to attend a 60 minute "member update" (and for the other people in my party-- a 90 minute presentation). They offered us a few gifts which came in real handy and saved us alot of money.

But it if you'd been sleep deprived and traveling on a plane all morning it could be annoying as heck. Which is what happened to me. I agreed only cuz i wanted to rush through it and go to sleep.

It wasn't until my presentation that I saw how amazing the hotel is. I have to explain that the hotel is under construction and will be until may of '14. They took us to where the lobby is suppose to be and it's right in the middle of the property elevated about 2 floors... wow.

That's when i fell in love. At night, the hotel is lit by fire and small led lights. It's super sexy and gives it this really impressive ambiance.

What sucks is that the way you check in and go into the property really takes away from the customer experience. There really is no "wowness" as you walk into the property because you come in from the side. It's really weird. But that's how it is until they finish.

The pool was warm. I mean warm. like a nice hug. We would swim until about 10-10:30PM every night until before they start releasing the cleaning agents in the pool. It's great. You swim and there's fire and the stars are shimmering. It is so sexy.

It's going to be a true thing of beauty when it's complete.

The rooms are surprisingly large. I stayed in a 2 BR unit. It had a full kitchen. With dishware. Came in handy. so handy. We went to walmart and stocked up on booze. And got some food to cook. Saved us money eating out and what not. The beds were like falling asleep on a pile of delicious pudding. It was soooo soft. The sheets were silky. It was a really really good night's sleep.

The sushi was surprisingly good. So was the food at Javier's. I'm a bit of a food snob so I can't really say the food was amazing. I only ate there twice. I had filet mignon one night. Lot's of tug. Not a tender chew. Seasoning lacked something. there wasn't that flavor pop I enjoy in a good steak.

The Pollo en mole was actually quite tasty. Tender chicken breast and all kinds of flavors going on in the mole. Nuts. Spices. Chocolate. It was good. I would definitely return.

The only complain is that the water in our building went out. Some pipe broke or something. So they were having people shower in the other wing of the hotel and some people were moved. We just went into town and hung at the beach in dtown cabo until we were tired then came back. Still no water so we just hung at the pool. Water was back on around 11...

That was the only real problem. We couldn't use the bathrooms and shower and what not. But everything else was incredibly delightful.

I want to return before year ends when it's hotter. Maybe in July/August. But I'll definitely return next May after construction is complete.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
san diego, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I just stayed at Cabo Azul last weekend. We booked an Ocean view room through bookit.com  (paying nearly $300 for the room) and received a garden view. For the price, I would expect an ocean front room. We asked to be moved, and they could not move us until the second day of our stay AFTER 5 p.m. Pretty ridiculous in my opinion, especially since the place was not sold out and didn't appear to be that busy. My guess is if we had listened to the time share pitch, we could have been moved. So, they show us the new room which has an ocean view somewhat (if you looked beyond the pool grill palapa), but the room smelled like grease, as it was directly above the pool kitchen grill. YUCK. So, we stayed in our original room.

the rooms are nice, and the lighting is lovely. Its great to have a full kitchen and refrigerator at your disposal. The pool area was very pretty, and gardens were lush. The resort is still under construction, and the lobby area is just a temporary room. Again, for $300 per night, you might not think construction...

Location is good for walking into town and other dining options besides the resort. The marketplace at the resort is useful. I don't recommend eating at Javier's. I  have been fighting the montezuma's revenge from my last meal at Javier's. Most of the food even in town is not inexpensive, and you should expect to spend $100 or more.

I'd recommend riding horses with the guy just off the resort on the beach. He's very reasonable and you get an hour ride along the water, which is lovely.

Room Tip: most of the rooms are not on the ocean, ask for a higher floor to get a peek view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was our first time to this region of Mexico. I think the best way to write this review is in sections, so here you go:

Los Cabos Airport

A brand new, shiny/ cool airport. I was surprised by how nice and modern it was. We breezed through, all was well until the moment we left customs. You exit into a white room with futuristic dolphin lights and blank reception desks. You think this is where the rental cars would be, but nooooooo. These are timeshare people, waiting to ensnare you at your most confused moment. Here you'll find 2 automatic doors, one which works, the other you stand in front of waiting for it to open. But it doesn't open. You stand in front of it until some guy comes over and opens it. You basically have a 50/50 chance of making it outside easily. This is obviously the airport that timeshare money built, and it is deliberately confusing. All this after I had read other reviewer's issues getting though the airport. Let me reiterate: If you have a shuttle or a Rent-a-car, head outside IMMEDIATELY. Do NOT stop to ask the people in the white room ANYTHING. You WILL get suckered into a pitch of some kind.

Cabo Azul

There wasn't an "Ah-ha! We're here!" moment since the entryway is under construction (To be completed in Nov 2013 we were told) Check-in was painful. We were greeted with a ridiculous $14 per day towel fee and weren't able to get our room keys until we sat through the spiel at the concierge desk. In all, about 40 mins.

I was finally on vacay when I saw the pool area. Amazing! There are 3 large pools, each had different temperatures. (There are beds in the pool as well) The 3 hot tubs were extremely warm and inviting, especially at night. My favorite hang out was this sleeper pod thing, which was super comfortable. I parked myself near the beach and fell asleep with a Piña Colada in hand. The drinks were a little pricey, so I'd recommend happy hour, where select cocktails were 2 for 1. The music at the pool was very chill, just type "Thievery Corporation" in Pandora to get a good sense of it. The beach hawkers stayed a good distance away, like there was a force field preventing them from getting too close.

We never ate at the main restaurant, instead we ventured into town and had some pretty amazing meals. The food by the pool was decent, but better value can be found outside the confines of the hotel.

The Room

Our room was a 2 br with a full kitchen and a partial ocean view. (Partial ocean, but full driveway!) It was really comfortable and had beautiful tiling. The TVs were old and outdated, we didn't turn them on once. The lighting, while low and soothing, made it hard to see, even at maximum brightness. Overall it was adequate, but a couple upgrades shy of a 10.

We found Cabo Azul to be a very relaxing and convent destination. The pools and location were awesome. Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Partial ocean view means just that.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed at Cabo Azul in the last week of May and can agree with the other posts that this was absolutely the most visually stunning resort we’ve ever stayed at. The rooms were large and beautiful with a lot of care taken in every decoration.

PROs:
•Again, just amazingly beautiful. You are in paradise.
•Walking distance from downtown San Jose Del Cabo which has a plethora of restaurants and shops. If you go, eat at Habaneros. The best meal we had the entire week and someone comes around doing magic tricks while you’re there. Eat at the taco place across the street from Habaneros too. The fish tacos are magnificent.
•Gym was a great size with plenty of equipment and opened early (6am)
•Food was good, but overpriced compared to what we could get downtown for better quality
•Our restaurant and pool servers, Daniel and Juan Carlos, made us feel like we were absolute royalty
•2 for 1 Daily Happy Hour (get the Cuba Libre!)
•Beach Party was a lot of fun, but the food was mediocre and there wasn’t enough dancing.
•Margaritas upon arrival!

CONs:
•The endless, utterly annoying loop of music at the pool. No exaggeration. The same exact music played every hour from 7am to 10pm. As much as we loved Juan Carlos, we had to abandon our pool post for the last couple days of our vacation because we were going crazy listening to the music.
•Our maid service was terrible. Some days they didn’t come. When they did, they took our dirty hand and face towels but didn’t replace them. They loaded the dishwasher in a very chaotic fashion and broke a glass and a dish. We never had a turn-down service, so I was surprised to see that posted by other reviewers.
•Salsa night was a bust. Maybe it was just the time of the year, but nobody was there.
•No activities. No nightlife.

All in all, if you’re looking for a remarkably relaxing place to go then this is the resort for you. My husband and I probably will not be back for a few years because we missed the activities and excitement that normally come as part of a beach vacation. As beautiful as it was, this resort was too tame for us. We’ll visit it again when we’re older and looking forward to a serenely peaceful vacation. Though I don’t think that type of music will ever appeal to us.

Room Tip: Be aware that if you get a room with a bottom-floor view of the pool, you're woken up at 7am by...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Cabo Azul Resort? Share your experiences!