“don't expect ocean front room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cabo Azul Resort

You added Cabo Azul Resort to your Saves list
Cabo Azul Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo Malecon SN Lote 11 Fonatur, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
san diego, ca
“don't expect ocean front room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I just stayed at Cabo Azul last weekend. We booked an Ocean view room through bookit.com  (paying nearly $300 for the room) and received a garden view. For the price, I would expect an ocean front room. We asked to be moved, and they could not move us until the second day of our stay AFTER 5 p.m. Pretty ridiculous in my opinion, especially since the place was not sold out and didn't appear to be that busy. My guess is if we had listened to the time share pitch, we could have been moved. So, they show us the new room which has an ocean view somewhat (if you looked beyond the pool grill palapa), but the room smelled like grease, as it was directly above the pool kitchen grill. YUCK. So, we stayed in our original room.

the rooms are nice, and the lighting is lovely. Its great to have a full kitchen and refrigerator at your disposal. The pool area was very pretty, and gardens were lush. The resort is still under construction, and the lobby area is just a temporary room. Again, for $300 per night, you might not think construction...

Location is good for walking into town and other dining options besides the resort. The marketplace at the resort is useful. I don't recommend eating at Javier's. I  have been fighting the montezuma's revenge from my last meal at Javier's. Most of the food even in town is not inexpensive, and you should expect to spend $100 or more.

I'd recommend riding horses with the guy just off the resort on the beach. He's very reasonable and you get an hour ride along the water, which is lovely.

Room Tip: most of the rooms are not on the ocean, ask for a higher floor to get a peek view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was our first time to this region of Mexico. I think the best way to write this review is in sections, so here you go:

Los Cabos Airport

A brand new, shiny/ cool airport. I was surprised by how nice and modern it was. We breezed through, all was well until the moment we left customs. You exit into a white room with futuristic dolphin lights and blank reception desks. You think this is where the rental cars would be, but nooooooo. These are timeshare people, waiting to ensnare you at your most confused moment. Here you'll find 2 automatic doors, one which works, the other you stand in front of waiting for it to open. But it doesn't open. You stand in front of it until some guy comes over and opens it. You basically have a 50/50 chance of making it outside easily. This is obviously the airport that timeshare money built, and it is deliberately confusing. All this after I had read other reviewer's issues getting though the airport. Let me reiterate: If you have a shuttle or a Rent-a-car, head outside IMMEDIATELY. Do NOT stop to ask the people in the white room ANYTHING. You WILL get suckered into a pitch of some kind.

Cabo Azul

There wasn't an "Ah-ha! We're here!" moment since the entryway is under construction (To be completed in Nov 2013 we were told) Check-in was painful. We were greeted with a ridiculous $14 per day towel fee and weren't able to get our room keys until we sat through the spiel at the concierge desk. In all, about 40 mins.

I was finally on vacay when I saw the pool area. Amazing! There are 3 large pools, each had different temperatures. (There are beds in the pool as well) The 3 hot tubs were extremely warm and inviting, especially at night. My favorite hang out was this sleeper pod thing, which was super comfortable. I parked myself near the beach and fell asleep with a Piña Colada in hand. The drinks were a little pricey, so I'd recommend happy hour, where select cocktails were 2 for 1. The music at the pool was very chill, just type "Thievery Corporation" in Pandora to get a good sense of it. The beach hawkers stayed a good distance away, like there was a force field preventing them from getting too close.

We never ate at the main restaurant, instead we ventured into town and had some pretty amazing meals. The food by the pool was decent, but better value can be found outside the confines of the hotel.

The Room

Our room was a 2 br with a full kitchen and a partial ocean view. (Partial ocean, but full driveway!) It was really comfortable and had beautiful tiling. The TVs were old and outdated, we didn't turn them on once. The lighting, while low and soothing, made it hard to see, even at maximum brightness. Overall it was adequate, but a couple upgrades shy of a 10.

We found Cabo Azul to be a very relaxing and convent destination. The pools and location were awesome. Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Partial ocean view means just that.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed at Cabo Azul in the last week of May and can agree with the other posts that this was absolutely the most visually stunning resort we’ve ever stayed at. The rooms were large and beautiful with a lot of care taken in every decoration.

PROs:
•Again, just amazingly beautiful. You are in paradise.
•Walking distance from downtown San Jose Del Cabo which has a plethora of restaurants and shops. If you go, eat at Habaneros. The best meal we had the entire week and someone comes around doing magic tricks while you’re there. Eat at the taco place across the street from Habaneros too. The fish tacos are magnificent.
•Gym was a great size with plenty of equipment and opened early (6am)
•Food was good, but overpriced compared to what we could get downtown for better quality
•Our restaurant and pool servers, Daniel and Juan Carlos, made us feel like we were absolute royalty
•2 for 1 Daily Happy Hour (get the Cuba Libre!)
•Beach Party was a lot of fun, but the food was mediocre and there wasn’t enough dancing.
•Margaritas upon arrival!

CONs:
•The endless, utterly annoying loop of music at the pool. No exaggeration. The same exact music played every hour from 7am to 10pm. As much as we loved Juan Carlos, we had to abandon our pool post for the last couple days of our vacation because we were going crazy listening to the music.
•Our maid service was terrible. Some days they didn’t come. When they did, they took our dirty hand and face towels but didn’t replace them. They loaded the dishwasher in a very chaotic fashion and broke a glass and a dish. We never had a turn-down service, so I was surprised to see that posted by other reviewers.
•Salsa night was a bust. Maybe it was just the time of the year, but nobody was there.
•No activities. No nightlife.

All in all, if you’re looking for a remarkably relaxing place to go then this is the resort for you. My husband and I probably will not be back for a few years because we missed the activities and excitement that normally come as part of a beach vacation. As beautiful as it was, this resort was too tame for us. We’ll visit it again when we’re older and looking forward to a serenely peaceful vacation. Though I don’t think that type of music will ever appeal to us.

Room Tip: Be aware that if you get a room with a bottom-floor view of the pool, you're woken up at 7am by...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I think this hotel is beautiful. Honestly the way it looks at night with the torches lit up and the pools looking like lagoons the looks are unmatched. The negatives are that the beach in the front has currents that are unfavorable for anyone wanting to swim or snorkel, and the nearest beaches for snorkeling are about 30 min's away. But the pool is nice enough you don't feel the need to go to the ocean very often. The staff is amazing! So helpful and kind. The restaurants are average for a hotel. Differing happy hours daily (for food) are a great alternative to the Mexican food that is all around the area, the sushi was actually really good! The only gripe I had was that I asked the housekeeping staff for more shampoo and conditioner (as we were there for 5 days and had 3 girls in the room) and they gave me a very small one and informed me that if I wanted to purchase more there was a small store in the hotel. I was shocked for how much I'm paying I thought that more shampoo would not be a big deal! :/

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful, although penthouse suites and ocean views are worth the extra money!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The resort is everything their website boasts, despite the torrential downpour, which the locals found amusing, they say they do not get a whole lot of rain - the stay was above pleasant and most memorable. The staff was very helpful, the resort was beautiful, our suite was very clean, the Jacuzzi was a major bonus, the view of the Sea of Cortez was gorgeous, the enormous terrace, and the full kitchen came in handy; we took a cab to the supermarket nearby and grabbed breakfast items and water. The beach was very nice, but swim at your own caution, due to the weather, they advise guests to stay out of the water. There was a lot of flooding around areas of the resort due to the rain. We took advantage of the fitness center and the SPA - we had massages and was able to use the facilities (the sauna, Jacuzzi) with the purchase. The food at the two restaurants were very good - but definitely go into town, there are so many great choices.

A quick word about timeshares: if you have an hour and half to spare, I would take the tour, I assume by now, they are about complete with the new extension to the resort, but definitely do the tour, in return; they offer free tours for snorkeling and or massages etc., in our case, since it rained so much, with parts of town flooded and the marina closed - it was just something to do.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

On the water this gorgeous facility has the most beautiful suites and rooms and the only thing better was the sincerely friendly service and treatment of the guests! Pool is amazing as is the swim-up bar and every need is attended to! This is one of the few places I've stayed where the advertising/pictures do not do justice to the actual experience! There is construction at the front of the Resort and that had us concerned but once past that (no noise problems) the beauty and service was amazing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Cabo Azul Resort is Awesome! We had a pool & ocean view room, we couldn't have had a better location! I was concerned about the ocean, no need to be concerned .. You can walk the beach & get yourself wet, just no swimming, so this wasn't a problem for us. I was a bit concerned about the people selling things on the beach & being harassing, not the case at all!! The first day, my 2 daughters went down to the beach & met a local with his horses, they had a blast! The man was awesome, took pictures for them as they were riding. $20 ea for almost an hour .. felt that was fair!! The resort is super clean! The pools are great, no problem getting a chair, they have plenty! The pool waiters are awesome! Housekeeping comes morning & night, a nice treat! The kitchen is nice to have, we went to the Mega Store for water, soda, chips, fruit & ice cream to have as needed. The Internet Cafe has great food! Reasonably priced, worth it!! The restaurant at the pool is pricey for dinner but pretty good for lunch, we purchased kids meals at lunch around the pool with salad or sandwich & guac .. Everything was great!! The Spa facility is Awesome! The gym is included in your stay, my husband used that every day. After going to the town of Cabo San Lucas (20 min drive) I am glad we are staying here, I like the city of San Jose del Cabo better! Our experience at Cabo Azul was Wonderful !! p.s. the weather was AMAZING! The first 5 days of our stay, we never saw a cloud, not a one! Every night we would go down to the beach & the air is still, unbelievable!

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Cabo Azul Resort? Share your experiences!