“Lovely resort and location !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cabo Azul Resort

You added Cabo Azul Resort to your Saves list
Cabo Azul Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo Malecon SN Lote 11 Fonatur, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Cornelius, North Carolina, United States
“Lovely resort and location !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My first visit to Mexico - my 18 year old daughter and I stayed for 1 week in a 1BR unit over the Christmas holiday. We selected this resort after reading the wonderful reviews. We also highly recommend!!

It was absolutely beautiful, clean, the staff were so friendly, helpful and kind, King bed was comfortable (but my daughter did complain about the living area sofa bed - finally slept sideways to avoid the bar in her back). Dimmers on most lights in the room so could be very romantic setting. The three pool levels plus 2 hot tub areas offered various water temps which was nice. I was pleasantly surprised to recieve daily maid service and fresh towels Happy hour daily poolside 3-5PM includes 2 for 1 of select cocktails. Suggest the first day you chat up the towel attendants or pool waiters to ask the dates of planned specials/activities - we missed Taco day but did go to the Christmas Eve Beach Party which included band, firedancers, food and some beverages and fireworks. The food was just OK but glad we went.
Onsite we dined in Javiers the first night, the Pool restaurant one night, and got PIzza from the Cafe one night. We ate or snacked poolside often. Overall the food was good or very good.
Offsite we dined in San Jose at Mollys, Habeneros and Le Dolce. All were good and suited our mood - but Le Dolce was excellent Italian - a nice change from Mexican fare the rest of the week.
We walked to Mega and took the cab back - stocked up on Water, breakfast and lunch snacks.
Concierge staff - all ot them - were very helpful! We took the ATV excursion on beach/sand dunes which great - a long ride to get there (40 minutes but included in price) but a full 2.5 hours around desert, beautiful beaches.
The hotel raised a red flag on the beach all week signifying no swimming - but based on prior reviews this was expected. Morning walks on the beach were wonderful - and if you are up for a horseback ride the horses are right out front.

Will include my minor complaints - but these would not prevent me from returning:
LIGHTING: Lighting around the resort / hallways while lovely is almost too dim. I had the thought that for some (older folks or with poor eyesight) it might be dangerous or lead to a fall. The lighting in the bathroom and bedroom vanity was poor - small spots overhead cast shadows on your face - clearly designed by a man who didnt need to apply make up. One other guest we met told us they brought additional lighting for her bathroom upon request - we had only one day left so didn't bother to ask.
TIMESHARE PITCH: When I called to confirm my reservation a few days out the Concierge first asked me to take the 90 minute tour. I refused, and refused again upon arrival...but eventually caved. They offer ~$200 USD - either in free excursions, food credits, taxi service to airport/etc. As with all time share pitches it lasts more than 90 minutes (2:45 arrival to release) - you just need to decide if your time is worth the incentive. I downplayed my annual vacation days and spending and did not feel overly pressured to buy.

Highly recommend!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Now am bias to this resort as I have returned 3 times and even was married on the property. This hotel and the staff are truly unbelieveable! I could not have asked for a better trip, birthday and christmas wrapped into one. Thank you to Eduardo, who fortunatley for him helped me rack up a very high pool tab on the daily, to Juan Carlos who always took such great care of us at breakfast and made us the spiciest of spiciest menu items :) My husband and I love love love this hotel and will return again next year. Any reccomendations would be to liven the place up maybe just a tiny bit, like someone else mentioned during happy hour, or play some more up beat music. Don't get me wrong we love to relax but I think a little more intermingling of the guests and fun amongst all could really put this resort over the top. Thank you Cabo Azul for making my Birthday and Christmas the best yet!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My expectations were pretty low for this trip, not because of the hotel, but because we were traveling with our 2 kids (4 and 18months) and I was pretty convinced that a nice vacation wasn't really possible! However, we had a great time at Cabo Azul. This is not an explicitly family-centered hotel, however, we didn't have any problems entertaining the kids.

For example, even though the hotel doesn't boast of having a kids pool, they actually do. It's just nicely hidden amongst the really beautifully hardscaped pools. They have 3 different pools which sort of spill over into each other. They are 3-5' deep, however, each pool has a sunken flat pad that in some cases in more than 10' x 10'. It's ankle deep before you step off into the deeper water. So the little ones can run around or sit and play in extremely shallow water. (you do need to watch carefully so they don't step into the deep area though). They also have two very small pools that are entirely ankle deep. They are next to the hot tub and at first they just look like a lovely part of the water features...but you can totally plop your kids in there and it's a great baby pool.

The only disappointing part of the trip was that the "kids club" was closed 2 of the 3 days we were there. We weren't told about this when we called ahead of time and that was very frustrating. Eventually (with some difficulty), we were able to secure a babysitter for a few hours. We did put our 4-year old son in the Kids Club for one day. It's a room with a WII and DVDs. They did do a painting activity. My son loved it, even though he was in a room for 3 hours. Later in the day they did a movie in a small screening room they have. It's pretty cool - like a mini movie theater. They screened Monsters v. Aliens and we were able to drop our 4 year old for that time as well.

They offer kids menus at the restaurants and the food was generally good. The shrimp tacos on taco day were delicious!

The rooms themselves are spacious and really well appointed, although very oddly dark. Every light in the place is on a dimmer ( a fact they proudly boast about) - however, the dimmers have a max light level which is very low . Even in the bathrooms. You are literally putting your makeup on in the dark. We learned later that you can call and request more light for your room.

We got a portable crib and had our baby sleep in one of the two bathrooms. Our son slept by himself in one bedroom and we slept in the master. It was great. everyone had their own room!

I guess the only downside was the semi-pressure to take the timeshare tour. *NOte: if you DO want to take the tour, wait a couple days and they will keep upping what they offer you. Our friend got offered over $500 to take the tour. So don't take their first offer! We didn't take the tour, but they asked us repeatedly. In a nice way. But still....

All in all, a great trip. I just wish the Kids Club had been open.

Oh! And the Royal Solaris next door is pretty dumpy, but they have a very elaborate kids pool area with water slides and stuff, and we snuck in there for a visit. The kids liked it.

Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

One word - Perfect! The rooms are exactly as described and pictured on the Internet. The service exceptional. All you need in a resort complex. Pool areas are beautiful and on complex dining is very good. Shopping (Walmart and Mega) are a short taxi ride away, so stock up on libations, water, and snacks. It truly was everything we had read and then some. Taxi to Cabo San Lucas is $35 so if you plan on more than one day trip there, consider a car rental. We will be back again, no doubt.

Stayed December 2012
CHERRY HILL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I just spent a week there with my (2) sisters and (2) cousins--all female, to celebrate my 50th birthday. It was a great choice. We all shared a 3 bedroom penthouse, and it was really nice. The service was outstanding throughout the property--and for the entire stay. Best of all, were our new friends at the pools--the staff took phenomenal care of us and made us never want to leave the pools everyday--Miguel, Eduardo, Jose, Hugo and the rest of the crew are the best. They made my birthday an even more special event, and I am forever grateful!
Every employee was professional and courteous and went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable --from the deli, and market to housekeeping!!!!
I'll be back!

Room Tip: I can only recommend what I know--the 3 bdrm penthouse was great! Enjoy!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We spent 5 nights at Cabo Azul and will definitely go back. We stayed in a 2 br deluxe garden view which actually had ocean views. It was beautiful and surpassed every expectation. The beds and the linens are incredible. The resorts was not overly crowded, the facilities are amazing, the gym is great. We loved our afternoons spent in the pods by the pool or down on the waters edge at the beach. The service is second to none and genuine. When someone asks about your day it is not out of formality it is bc they actually want to know. I found the staff the most authentic people I have experienced in the hospitality industry in a very long time.
Pool is amazing, food was good, went to Flora farms one night which was also a great experience.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!

Room Tip: Our garden view deluxe actually looked out to the ocean and was very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I'm a big fan of visiting multiple resorts when I go somewhere so that I can see other places I might want to stay on another trip, so I visited Cabo Azul just for a spa visit... and ended up staying all afternoon by the pool because it's such a great property. Definitely high on my list of places to stay the next time I'm in Cabo. Lunch by the pool was great (yes, a little pricey, but that's pretty standard for the resorts) and the pool is GORGEOUS.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
#6 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
4.5 of 5 stars 637 reviews
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosew...
#1 of 39 in San Jose del Cabo
5.0 of 5 stars 697 reviews
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#3 of 39 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 stars 2,567 reviews
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
The Resort at Pedregal
The Resort at Pedregal
#3 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
5.0 of 5 stars 1,161 reviews

Been to Cabo Azul Resort? Share your experiences!