“Horrible service ruined our anniversary trip” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cabo Azul Resort

You added Cabo Azul Resort to your Saves list
Cabo Azul Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo Malecon SN Lote 11 Fonatur, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 35%
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
San Francisco, California
“Horrible service ruined our anniversary trip”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

To begin I have to admit the resort was beautiful and the villas were gorgeous BUT I had such a horrible experience I can't believe they have such a high rating.
It really began when we got there, and they took FOREVER to check us in. They were disorganized and just kept forgetting about us. We had a 1.5 year old little kid with us and there was no lobby because of the construction so we had to sit in the parking lot. They just made us wait and wait and wait. If I remember correctly it took and hour for them to check us in and show us a room. That is the LONGEST I have ever waited to check into a hotel.
Then they gave us a room. Which was beautiful, we were super happy until about 12 hours later the banging and skills saws began. They were doing construction of some sort in the room directly below us. It was so loud our floors were shaking. We quickly called the front desk and told them about the problem. They told us they would call us back and figure something out.
Three hours later. Floors still shaking. Our son couldn't take a nap. They still hadn't followed up. We called again. Then again. It was now 11 pm and this was still going on.
I went downstairs and they said they would stop the construction and move us in the morning. They did neither. The construction went on all night.
After a sleepless night we called again first thing in the morning and they still didn't move us until 1pm the next day.
It was just a nightmare. The hotel wasn't even full. They just seriously had no concern for their guests. More than half of our anniversary vacation was ruined by the horrible unresponsive service.
No one ever apologized, they didn't even comp us a drink ticket. Nothing.
I'd rather stay have good service then a beautiful room with construction going on downstairs.
After we moved we had a nice time, there were plenty of nice people there but my experience was not up to par.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Great facility. Wonderful pools nice and warm. There are actually three large pools that step down from the property to the beach and each one is set at a different temperature from warmer to cooler but still very comfortable in November. At night the resort is lit with firepits and just lovely. Javier restaurant on the property. Great service from the staff. We had a 3 bedroom suite with full kitchen large seating and dining area and huge balcony. We will return next year. Currently there is a deal on travelzoo for 1 and 2 bedroom units. Went into the little town for dinner, a short cab ride away and walkable too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel the last week of Oct. with 3 friends. I loved and enjoyed every minute of my stay and so did my company. The service is very personal and people at this resort make it feel as their life mission is to keep the guest happy. We stayed in a 3 room suit and everything is impressive. The beds, the view, the location of the hotel, the drinks...
please while there, visit San Jose del Cabo and dine at the restaurant called "Salsitas". We discovered this restaurant just by accident and what an awesome experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Whiteriver, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went to Cabo Azul for a full weel in October with another couple. The hotel is wonderful. Yes the second bedroom was rather dark, but the second day we were there they did something and it was a lot brighter. The pools are wonderful. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The area is wonderful and I enjoyed the desserts in the store more than anything in the restaurants and they are much more affordable than in the restaurants. My view of the ocean was gorgeous.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view...I could see both the ocean, the pool and everything.
Prescott, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is quite possibly the finest resort we have ever stayed at in Mexico. The architecture and interior design features are magnificent. We booked our vacation through Travelzoo on a local deals voucher through Phoenix. What an incredible deal that turned out to be. We had a ground floor villa with a garden view. The landscaping was so beautiful. We found out the resort was owned by Pacific Monarch Resorts but had been acquired by Diamond Resorts. Since we are members of Diamond Resorts, we we're quite excited about coming back in the future. We did not try the on-campus restaurant facilities because of the less than stellar reviews on the internet and the prohibitive cost. It was a sort walk to downtown San Jose to some truly great restaurants and shopping. Bus ride was 8.5 pesos one way. If you stay here, you have to see the amazing lobby of the Grand Mayan Resort just next door. We went to Mega Foods down the street and stocked up on great Mexican foods to prepare. They make these sandwiches with Mexican rolls stuffed with ham, cheese and jalopenos that are delicious. A liter of El Jimador Tequila, Reposado, was $8.00. Controy was $7.50. We made our own Margheritas with fresh limes. A very small Margherita at the resort was $12. No bueno. There is a small deli at the resort that is reasonable though......also has computer terminals with free internet if you care about that. Pools we're very nice. There we're 3 of them with infinity edges with different temperatures, and 2 big spa pools. My wife had a 50 minute signature massage treatment she said was marvelous. She dragged me up there to see the exquisite Mexican furniture and informed me of what pieces she would like for our home in Arizona. We had a beautiful Butaca leather sling chair in our villa I have been trying to find since coming back home....but not having any luck finding it. Guess we will have to go to Guadalajara some day to see if we can find it. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I must say.....This is a very nice place to stay at if you are going to vacation in San Jose!!!!

Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

This resort is beautiful, relaxing, serene, great for families and girls getaways.... My only problem was the lighting in the rooms, it is very dark. The staff is very friendly and accommodating and willing to help out in any way possible. The area is safe, the resort is super clean and we had a lot of fun. The food is good and the drinks are okay at the resort. It may be best to pick up snacks and liquor from the local grocery (mega), this may save some money at the bar. The cab ride to Cabo San Lucas is about 30-35 minutes and there are places to eat locally in San Jose. The beach is beautiful but not safe to swim in because of the tides.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Lake Forest, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Not only is the location absolutely beautiful, the resort is as well..

Let me start with our room.
I was slightly disappointed because we were told it sleeps four comfortablely.
I know this is my fault because I knew it was a one bedroom.. But it was very... small for four people. So my advice if you travel with four people, make sure you spring for the two bedroom.
And the shower totally leaked!! Everytime you took a shower the bathroom flooded.
But the view was really pretty, it over looked the pool and beachish.
We really enjoyed sleeping with the doors open and curtains drawn it was heavenly to wake up to. But one night they did power wash at like midnight and we had to shut the doors. But once the doors were shut you could barely hear it.

The pool was soo unbelievablely relaxing. They had these little "nests" we called them around the pool and down close to the beach and I spent a good chunk of time relaxing and reading in there. I loved how the pool had three different infinty pool levels. The top pool was the warmest and they got cooler as you went down. The middle pool was my favorite.. which brings me to the bar...

Oscar made are trip. Hands down. Our bartender couldn't have been any better.. he took care of us, kept the envoritement fun and relaxing. The day he was off, we realized just how much he made our trip.

We also had the kitchen make the durado we caught on our fishing trip.. WOW! I have not had better fish in my life. They cooked it 5 different ways..holy hell it was amazing.
Our favorite server in the For de Noche resturant (which is the one that looks like a jellyfish at the pool) was Sergio. He was very attentive. Another night we were there and order the steak... it was so good I wanted to order a second and I was stuffed! We also ate at Javier's but it felt like a waste we could of been eating at Flor De Noche.. My advice skip Javier's get it when you come home.. it tastes the same.

One day well the boys were out we went and got massages on the beach.. It was so relaxing.. But our masseuse had attitudes and cut our massage short.. we paid for 50 and they showed up 15 minutes late and they only gave us 35 minute masages.. We didn't let it ruin our trip. We just went to their manager and politely told him what happened. We didn't want anything in return, just a heads up for there future clinets. The manager was very apologetic and nice about it and gave us a free 30 minute masage and access to the spa for the rest of our trip.

Bottom-line I'm coming back here.. again and again. What an amazing trip we had.
I haven't shut up about it since we got home.

Room Tip: We got to look at the penthouse suite one day... So amazing next time we come we are staying there...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cabo Azul Resort? Share your experiences!