“Great Beachfront All-inclusive Resort w/ Relaxing Atmosphere & Good Price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Los Cabos

Save Saved
You added Royal Decameron Los Cabos to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Los Cabos
Boulevard Malecon San Jose S/N zona hotelera, San Jose del Cabo, Mexico   |
Ranked #26 of 39 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Great Beachfront All-inclusive Resort w/ Relaxing Atmosphere & Good Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My wife and I went here for our honeymoon. Overall, it was a great experience. For the price you are getting a very nice resort at an amazing price. I would suggest buying a round-trip shuttle for $24 per person from www.cabosanlucastours.com. It's about a 20 minute ride from the airport. This resort is actually located in San Jose.

It takes 30-40 minutes by bus ($3pp) to get to downtown Cabo and about 5 minutes ($1pp) by bus to downtown San Jose where there is lots of shopping and art galleries (Frank Arnold is my favorite). There's a mall across the street with a Mega Store (supermarket). Stock up on little snacks and water.

If you want to do some outside activity, we took horses out on the beach right in front of the resort. They are always waiting there. We paid $100, 2 hours for 2 people. Well worth it! Once you get past the hotels you can even gallop, but need to do 2 hours to get that far down the beach.

Swimming is not possible in this area because of the current. Don't even try it! 2 people died even while we were there. Go snorkeling at Lovers Beach. Take the public bus to the dock and get on a water taxi. Do it on your own instead of tour center if you want to save money. Depending on how you negotiate, it was about $9 per snorkel and $12 round trip water taxi per person.

Resort Info:

Pros
- Price. It's very cheap for an all-inclusive resort
- Entertainment. Staff is friendly and activities directors are always around for games. There are some shows that are performed throughout the week. Not the best, but fun and interactive nevertheless. They had a movie trivia one night and a bingo game to win a bottle too.
-Rooms. Don't expect five-star. Air condition (they turn off when they come into clean so keep an eye out) always cool, small LCD TV, and nice balcony.
-Shower. Great rainfall shower head with good water pressure and always hot.
-Dining. The quality and taste was good, but needs more of a variety. There are 2 restaurants. One buffet and one ala carte. You need to book a reservation ahead of time as they are always "booked up". Also, don't worry too much about missing something at the restaurant. They typically serve it in the buffet the next day. The lunch by the pool has great ceviche and only place to get ice cream! If you're trying to do something special (extra cost), I surprised my wife with a private dinner on the beach. It was worth it for the ambiance...food was just OK (surf and turf). Don't do the bond fire as it is too close and smoke was in our face the entire dinner.
Pools- There are 3 pools. The bottom 2 are unofficially seperated in to a kids and adult pool with a swim up bar (where we spent most days!) The top pool overlooking the beach is the "rowdy" bar. They'll let you plug in your ipod to play your own music.

Cons
Beds- The beds are firm and sheets should have a little more thread count, but if you're like us you're not in the room very often.
Safety Box- you need to pay money to use the safe. It's a small fee but it's the principal.
Disco- Nothing special and was pretty dead the 2 times we visited. Go into town to Cabo Wabo or Nikki Beach if you want to party!
Employees- Everyone knows all-inclusive isn't really just that. Like most places, a couple dollars tip goes a long way in the hospitality industry. Bring some $1 bills and spread them around where you most need them. Give some to waiters (faster and better food) and bartenders (faster service). It can make a world of difference for your entire stay for a total of $30 bucks.
Alcohol- Don't worry about the ice as it's all treated and comes from the bag, but don't expect anything better than average liquor in the US. Oho-rojo (red-eye) were pretty good. It's half beer and half bloodymary.
WiFi- Costs something ridiculous like $10 a day. Just go over to the strip mall and buy something at McDonald's or Starbucks for WiFi if you really need it.

Room Tip: -Take a taxi for a night to eat at Flora's Farm! - Rooms away from disco and higher up are quie...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
guest_service153, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Decameron Los Cabos, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
On behalf of the Royal Decameron Los Cabos I would like to thank you for your comments. Thank you for choosing us to spend your time in los cabos. We would like to inform you that we have been working on the cons you have mentioned.

We hope you will choose to visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I know how reviews go I am always on the move and people have to realize that not everyone will have the same experieince. Someone may not like the food, drinks, rooms, or staff and others may find them in perfect order. I have to say that I am glad that I took the time to read through a lot of reviews and decided to check it out for myself. I LOVED this resort! I found it to be clean and the staff attentive. Roman at the front desk muah for putting us next door to one another! Where to start, the lobby open air lovely and clean my only issue is the lobby was hot nothing some ceiling fans can't cure. We came and sat in the lobby one evening had a drink and just curled up on the sofa and talked. The only breezes came short and few so fans would have probably had us sitting there much longer. The rooms very clean and fridge stocked with the basics beer, water, and soda. Hey I'd like some vodka in the room to but one can get that any number of bars before heading to the room. The beds were crips and just right with plenty of pillows and a nice balcony that had comfortable chairs to sit and people watch. We actually had a view of the evening performaces from ours. The food was plentyful and a nice variety. My friends only complaint was the hamburgers are not real beef...I only eat turkey burgers so I didn't care (mean I know). The Burgers did look fake or like soy so that may be something to avoid or maybe the hotle will think about a new vendor. The other snack bar food looked great I had the ceviche and loved it and the chicken chiburro? It was great. The buffet was also great I didn't find much that I didn't enjoy but them again I'm kinda a foodie... Would I go back yes, yes, and oh hell yes. Sometimes you have to bring your own party and we did that at the disco... along with some other guess the entertainment crew stayed for a little while but we managed to keep ourselves entertained along with the DJ skilled selections. Getting to the resort was easy we booked with the airport shuttle o/w but found it was cheaper to get our taxi from the hotel back to the airport when we left. So if your not afraid to venture outside and ask about a regular taxi fare you may get a better deal. P.S. keep walking to you reach all the way outside otherwise you will get bombarded by the time-share people, unless your interested that is... This was my Birthday trip with the girls and we had a fab time. We even took a taxi ti Wal-mart... shhhh one has to checkout Wal-mart in other countries... oh and if your a duty free person we found the prices cheaper up the street from the hotel in the shopping area not the one right across the street but to the right of the hotel and also at Wal-mart then it was at the airport.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We booked a super cheap Groupon and were pleasantly surprised. The resort was not crowded but summer is their off season. The Buffett was good plenty to eat. The restaurant was better make your reservation early. We requested water in place of our sodas in the mini bar and our request was granted. The staff was AMAZING!! Tips go a long way and you don't need much. Come with American $1 bills and a few $5 for the bigger services. The Spa was nice and booked an affordable excursion $40!! Was well worth the money. I emailed guest services ahead to have our rooms together that was no problem also! Again the staff was great Roman, J Carlos, Antonio, and the entire Buffett staff!! Even brought a surprise cake on our friends B-Day. Town was nice and clean with restaurants and gallery's and a Mega store, Starbucks right across the street. If your looking for a wild time this is not for you but a nice all inclusive, at a great price this is it! Set expect ions properly and you'll have a great time.

Stayed July 2014

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Back in the freezing days of Chicago, I was looking forward to a warm vacation in June. After reviewing a CheapCaribbean email, I came across a deal to Cabos that I couldn't pass up! I just returned on June 29th and couldn't have been much happier with my decision.

The great - The resort is gorgeously designed. Everything around looks beautiful and comfortable. The views are amazing and almost every room has a balcony/patio. You never have to wait for a chair near the pool. There are plenty available and the place is never overcrowded. The staff are fantastic! Everyone was helpful and the activities people are so much fun! I felt like I was part of the family. The rooms were just ok on the inside. My friend and I took this trip together and I was a bit shocked to learn that we had no bathroom privacy. That was hard, but we got over it. That was minor to us. The food wasn't the best, but it was certainly better than most all-inclusive resorts. We really loved the authentic Mexican food and wished they did more of it. I know they have to cater to all, but we were in Mexico and were excited for it!

The bad - the alcohol. I like to drink. But cheap liquor is terrible! I had a hard time with this. If they can just up it a little, it would make a world of difference. Also the pools closed early. That was frustrating. And there isn't a 24hr bar or restaurant. We did not like that we couldn't eat and drink when we wanted.

Overall, the resort is small. One buffet and one ala carte restaurant. It offers great entertainment, good food, nice people and a relaxing environment. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Lancaster, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This resort is very nice! Very modern and clean. Yes there is no air in the lobby but the lobby is an open area so it would be dumb to have an air conditioner maybe ceiling fan. It is sooo clean being sorta OCD this made me feel great! The food was traditional they had a snack bar for people like me that just have a hard time with change but dont get the burger. LOVE THEIR FRIES and the beef burrito. Roman at the front desk, Daniel in the buffet area and all the other staff were great! Again so clean.... the staff wears hairnets all the staff.. The animation staff aka events staff were corny but good corny its commercial pleasure.. I had a blast. I went with three other ladies we had a blast . No the room wasnt a suite but thats not what i paid for. I love it anyone complaining about this place are people that are just difficult .. It wasnt a busy place I loved that not alot partying , which I loved.. If you are a person looking for all this activity go somewhere else. As for the guys trying to sell stuff its Mexico, tourism is important .. they respect you they do not hound you they are behind a rope as they are at all the resorts along the beach. They do not follow you or harrass you so no biggie. I love this place and would love to go back.

Room Tip: We booked it on bookit.com and their suite is realllllllly nice! And its super clean... Its not a p...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

It's really hard to complain about this place considering what we payed for our 4 night stay.....but in this case I would have gladly payed more in order to avoid this place. Upon check in my first initial reaction was great, the staff was friendly and greeted us with orange juice and the lobby was clean and updated. Our room was clean and stocked with a few drinks and I have to admit the be was really comfy. We were sent to breakfast and the staff there was very friendly and attentive. There are three pools (we never found a hot tub...) and from what we found three bars. That'd about all of the good.....

The food ranged from just okay to horrible. The "restaurant" that serves dinner and requires a reservation (though I'm not sure why because each time we went we were one of probably 4 or 5 tables max) is just sad. I ordered a seafood pasta and it still makes me sick to my stomach to think about...gummy peices of squid and some other unknown fish tossed in luke warm grey broth. I took one taste and couldn't go on. The breakfast is okay, you can get by on an omelet and some yogurt. The buffet dinner was pretty much the same every night, a few dishes I didn't dare to try and others were ok.

The bars, when you can get served, is okay if you're able to just stick with beer. Half the time, the bar you're at will be out of whatever you want and they'll tell you to go to another bar. The liquor is bottom shelf, or maybe the kind they store under the shelves themselves. If you want decent drinks, walk across to the mega where you can buy your own bottle.
The staff for the most part was actually pretty rude. The breakfast staff and the bellboys were the friendliest of the group. The front desk staff can be argumentative and the bartenders made it obvious they didn't really care if you got your drink or not.

There were definitely a few good points to our stay, but overall I wouldn't come here again. When you think all-inclusive you think about an overall great relaxing experience and this just wasn't it, I feel kind of sad that I didn't just spend more to have a better experience for our first trip to Cabo! Though, if you just need to get away to Mexico and want a clean bed to sleep in...you might be pleased by this place!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
We would like to inform you that we have been working on the points you have mentioned above in order to fix the inconvenience you had, and guaranty that it does not repeat itself. in regards to the bars we actually have 6 functioning bars at the moment.

We hope that you return to our resort in order to enjoy the entirety of our hotel and services it has to offer.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I wasn't too sure what to expect due to all the mixed reviews of this resort but I had a great experience! My boyfriend and I went with another couple (ages 27-30) and we had a blast here. It definitely helps to make conversation with the staff you come in contact with because then they better remember you through out your stay. When we came to check in, we were a couple hours early, check in is at 3. They stored our luggage away while we scoped out the property and had ourselves a drink at the rooftop pool by the beach. We had the pleasure of meeting Aslan, the bartender up there who is a pretty funny guy. He shared stories with us about when the resort was once a swingers resort, had us laughing and connected our phone to his speaker to play music. We had mentioned we wanted Jack Daniels which he didn't have at the time, and the day before we left he made sure to have a bottle of JD up there for us! Going back to check in, Roman the front desk guy totally hooked it up with an awesome beach view suite because we told him we were on our honeymoon. We couldn't believe it, 2 bathrooms and 3 beds for just me and my boyfriend. I never had a bad encounter with any of the staff, everyone is eager to serve you and always greet you even just passing in the halls. I felt like there was such a happy vibe in the resort. We met a lot of people who were staying there, everyone has nothing but good things to say about their stay. We had a do not disturb sign on our door throughout our stay so when we saw the cleaning lady in the hall, she gave us fresh towels and toilet paper. Same with the refreshments, we saw a guy with a cart of bottled sodas, waters and beers in the hall to restock the fridges in the rooms and he gave us whatever we asked for. The ONLY thing I wasn't too crazy about was the food. I'm from Texas so I love Mexican food, it's not the same at all. I say stick with the buffet over the restaurant outside, we weren't too impressed with the food in the restaurant. But we always ate whatever they had, I mean we were very hungry after drinking in the sun all day. If you want something specific in the buffet, just ask. We wanted ice cream after dinner, it wasn't out there so we asked and we received. We always made sure to tip everyone who helped us. Ask for the guacamole drink from Aslan, it was delicious and did the job.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

We hope you will choose to visit us again.

Been to Royal Decameron Los Cabos? Share your experiences!