“Awesome Resort!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Los Cabos

You added Royal Decameron Los Cabos to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Los Cabos
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Boulevard Malecon San Jose S/N zona hotelera | San Jose Del Cabo, Baja California Sur, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Waterloo, Canada
“Awesome Resort!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I travelled here with my hubby .... January 18 - 25th. I won it through our local radio station! What a great place to win a trip!!! So much variety to see and do and just relax.

This resort was awesome. Smaller intimate resort, very easy to find your way around.

At Check In...welcome drinks... after a long day...someone took our luggage and showed us to our room. Nice touch.

Loved the couches/sunbeds all around the resort as well as on the beach. Always able to find shade or sun and never had a problem finding a lounger. No chair hogs here. All the resort areas were new and beautiful.

Only about 3 vendors on our beach, were not a bother at all.

Beautiful very long beach , we walked it every morning. Walk about 20 minutes down one end and you will come upon Zippers Restaurant, and a cold corona waiting for you. Loved it, popular spot.

It is a shame though that this beautiful beach is basically unswimmable due to undertows... if you keep walking the beach there is areas where people do enter the water with caution...which we did.

Pools were awesome, heated... which was very nice, and all pools had swim up bars

Loved the pool on the upper level, where you could be having a drink and watching whales, this is also the quieter pool, when you are wanting that.

The 2 other main pools on lower level had fun entertainment going on during some times of the day.

Buffet was excellent..loved all the food, no sickness what so ever!

Snack bar near main pools had really yummy burgers nachos mozza sticks hotdogs pizza tacos wings...yummy!!!

Main center bar/entertainment area had a fire pit and heat lamps all around, with comfy round couches, very nice to sit by at night while watching the variety of entertainment.

One night they had a rock band, it was great, a real party.

Room was super nice, plush new beds, tons of plush pillows and duvet... never had that luxury at any other resort.

And towels replenished constantly and again plush and soft. Free safe in room and plenty of space and closets/drawers. Free wi-fi ... and I had no problem accessing it during my stay.

Room cleaned regularly every day, fridge stocked, our maid was very nice, we had a main floor with patio... steps from the main entertainment/bar and the pools, perfect!

1 a la carte, went for welcome and farewell party with our group..I liked the buffet food better but just my opinion...many enjoyed the food at a la carte.

All drinks were great and loved their beer, dark or light.

Was told over and over again how very safe Los Cabos is...we walked a few nights after dark down the strip past all the resorts and stumbled upon nice cafes/bars/restaurants/shops...enjoyed getting out there exploring..never felt comfortable with just the 2 of us doing that anywhere else we have travelled.

Resort is very close to San Jose del Cabo... bus or cab...very cheap or about half hour walk in ... we went a few times...nice little town...nice souvenir shops...and bars/restaurants galore...we went to Shooters Sports Bar there...loved it...even went in town a second time and went again...sit at the bar ... you will get to know the owners..Canadian family...very nice people...we loved this place...and cheap cheap beer/food....music and tv's all over for sport watching...highly recommend going there ... fun times!

Can cab or bus into Cabos San Lucas...again we went a few times...a must place to visit ... more busy than San Jose...lots to see and do ... have to visit Cabo Wabo Cantina while there and take advantage of all the excursions out of the Marina.

Lover's Beach ... a must do... so beautiful for swimming as well as the famous Arch...pics do it no justice...see it in person.

Take advantage of free admission for Royal Decameron guests to watch dolphins at the Dolphin Discovery right across street from resort.

Best touch of all ... the night we were all in the lobby waiting to leave by bus to airport..late flight....entertainment staff guys came around giving some of us hugs goodbye, joking with each of us, very nice touch, so sincere, stands out with me ... thank you to them...they were the best.... I have never experienced that at any other resort ... made a hard time leaving a little easier!

I agree this is a solid 4 star and I would even give it a 4.5/5 star! Will definitely do a repeat of this vacation again in the future.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Brantford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I have so many positives to say about this resort. The staff are non stop, very eager to please. The resort (refurbished) is very clean and well appointed. All bedding, pool lounges, linens are fresh. There were always pool lounges available and the property had secluded sitting areas away from it all.
From the Infinity Pool, above the spa I watched whales one morning and in the afternoon dolphins entertained me.
I ventured into Cabo San Lucas one day on the local bus for $3.00 US, about a 30 minute ride. This is where the cruise ships come in and there is a lot to see. Another day for $1.00 I took the local bus to San Jose Del Cabo. A beautiful town with lots of shops and art. The people were very friendly and I felt extremely safe, always.
Great holiday!!
The only negative comment is a small piece of decking around the pool area ( it goes from cement to tiles). The tile, when wet, was very slippery and we saw several people fall in this area. It was brought to the attention of the manager.
The Luna restaurant was a 5 star setting. Delicious food, the portions were appropriate for healthy eating.
Hopefully,I can visit Decameron again very soon.

Room Tip: The resort is U shaped facing the Sea of Cortez. All balconies are either close to the buffet or to...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We went to this resort Jan 25th-Feb 1st. It was very clean and the staff was excellent. They led us to the buffet before check in so that we didn't have 3 bus loads of ppl at the front desk (great idea) We requested a king size bed and got 2 double beds instead. We just pushed them together. The bathroom didn't have a door, you had to close the glass shower door to close off the bathroom. This makes things uncomfortable if you go with a friend and not your spouse. Other than that, the room was great! We never did get our fridge restocked though. We had to refill the water at the bar.
FOOD: Breakfast was always the same but the omelettes were great..until the end of the week when she didn't cook them enough. At dinner they announced different theme nights, but had the same food it seemed.(slop) Pasta was always a good choice. There was one buffet and one a la carte. I could only get reservations at 8:30pm so I only went once. I had better food in Cuba last year unfortunately. (there's a Subway across the street)
Drinks: They had everything! Make sure you ask for the top shelf stuff if you want it or you will get their brand. They should have drink menus at each bar. You have to explain what you want and it was different every time.
The outside bartenders were slow and miserable. We overheard ppl say they were going to complain to management. I'm pretty sure they refill the top shelf stuff with their brand (yes I noticed) The upstairs pool bartender was awesome! Great personality.
Nightly entertainment was OK..we saw bands, a fireshow, and a mexican fiesta dance.
DISCO: I'm not that old but it was WAY too loud!!! Turn down the music and it would have been fun!
Excursions: Cactus ATV tour was amazing!! Cabo escape boat tour was awesome! DO NOT do a bar crawl with Bryan. What a waste of money! He promised to get you free drinks at the bars and you get one shot of tequila. I think he was too busy with the young girls. At least he got us a cab back. Get a cab and go to Cabo Wabo (that bar was fun)
It's a wonderful area to visit but we wouldn't go back to this resort unless we got another good deal. A few people we talked to got sick as well as 2 of our own. I'm not sure if it was from the food or the water. They definately need more cleaning crews in the washrooms because there was proof that people were sick. Ew
I usually read these reviews and laugh at the complainers...I've been to good and bad resorts. This one was in the middle. 4.5 star room and location. 2.5 star food
We did have a great time overall.

metro Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We arrived at a hotel on Dec 28th/13 for a 2 weeks holiday. The hotel was still heavily undergoing renovations from the previous owner. But, with diligent hard work by contractors and staff, it transformed every day. By the end of our 2-week stay, much of painting was completed, awnings were installed, landscaping installed and general maintenance items were completed. The hotel looks great now.

The hotel restaurants REALLY,REALLY out-did themselves to provide superb food and beverages. There were no meals that were disappointing in any way and the chef was able to address a few special requests from various patrons. This is great considering the hotel is trying to attain '5-star' status.

We had a great room at pool-side. My ONLY complaint is that I was not expecting only one 2-man elevator for the whole building that only services the main (3rd) floor and up!!! SO, FOLKS, if you were on floors 1 & 2, it's only stairs!! Ordinarily, this would not have been a problem for me - BUT, I had eye surgery on Dec 30th and came back to the hotel in a wheelchair with my eyes bandaged and still under the influence of the medication. What a fiasco!! My wheelchair had to be carried down the stairs. BE AWARE PLEASE THAT THIS HOTEL COMPLEX NOT PHYSICALLY LAID OUT FOR ANY ONE THAT CAN'T HANDLE STAIRS, OT THAT USES A CANE OR NEEDS A WHEELCHAIR!!
Luckily, the bandages came off within 2 days and I again was mobile but the incident triggered my interest in seeing what their rooms were like for persons with a mobility restrictions , especially for those persons requiring a wheelchair. THERE ARE NO ROOMS THAT ARE EQUIPPED FOR PATRONS IN WHEELCHAIRS !!!! Considering the extremely tight 2-door shower configurations, even the upgraded suites cannot accommodate a wheelchair - SO, if you use a wheelchair, DON"T STAY AT THIS HOTEL UNTIL THE ROOM SITUATION IS CHANGED.

Otherwise, the beach is awesome! waiters terrific, food fantastic, the hotel is located in the best spot on the hotel strip and it is very good value for your vacation dollars.We would go back.

One more suggestion: get rid of the inappropriate naked paintings all over the building especially the lobby, paintings that are leftovers from the previous hotel's usage as a swingers resort.

Room Tip: Do not pick this resort if you use a wheelchair
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

My best friend and I were here January 25th - 31st and we really enjoyed our stay. We arrived at the hotel just before 1pm. Check-in wasn't until 3pm however we were able to store our luggage in a hospitality room and lay by the pool until our room was ready. When we got to our room we noticed that we could not activate the safe. Apparently there was a surcharge for using the safe. We went to the front desk to find out how we could activate it and they kept telling us another staff member would be with us. They would talk in spanish and not communicate with us what was going on. Eventually they said they were able to activate it by coming to our room. They said it would take 5 minutes and we ended up waiting 30 minutes for them to come activate our safe and that was only after I called them twice.
___________________________________

Food:
at the luna cafe by the pool they served chicken wings, mozzarella sticks, hot dogs, hamburgers, fajitas, nachos, and variety of pizzas to name a few - food was DELICIOUS.

The restaurant in the hotel was buffet style. Breakfast included assorted fruits, bacon, sausage, omelette station, potatoes, scrambled eggs with ham, breakfast burritos and a few mexican delicacies.

We only ate at the cafe for lunch so i'm not sure what was served at the restaurant however I was told by various people that it's similar to what is served for dinner.

Dinner - sushi, bbq ribs, salmon, pork loin, turkey, chicken, assorted salads, rice, pasta station, seasoned potatoes, tacos, raw and cooked mixed vegetables, variety of breads and that's just what i remember.
____________________________________

Location:
The hotel is 15 minutes from the airport and 35 minutes from downtown cabo san lucas. Across the street is a grocery store, bank, dairy queen, starbucks, subway and dollar store. Our hotel had gorgeous cabana's on the beach that is roped off so vendors on the beach aren't able to come right up to the guests.

____________________________________

Entertainment:
The entertainment staff was my favourite part of our stay. The manager was really great with us and came up to us everyday to see how we were doing. Every night they had a different show, they had amazing cover bands and even had a fire show one night. Inside the hotel they have their very own disco in the hotel with a live DJ.

Overall experience was great, we were very pleased with this hotel and we would definitely book here again. Hope this helped!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

My husband and I came for our honeymoon from January 23rd-30th. We have never been to Mexico or any sort of all-inclusive before, so we really did not have much in the way of expectations - honestly, we picked this resort because we got a really amazing price through CheapCaribbean.com. We had a largely wonderful stay - I'd say that the issues we encountered were all likely due to this being a newly reopened/rebranded resort, and I'm hopeful that they will work them all out as they are open longer.

Check-in/check-out: At check-in, we were greeted with drinks while we waited. Unfortunately, check-in took far longer than it took us to finish them. It took them about 20 minutes to get us checked in, which I couldn't understand. Additionally, we were asked if we wanted a safe for an extra charge - about $3US per day. (It seemed like such an insignificant fee that I wonder why they don't just allow totally open access to the room safes and just tack that on to their room rates.) That took another 20 minutes to arrange, as well as 2 calls from our room to the front desk to ask when they would be coming by to open the safe for us as there seemed to be a lengthy delay. After a long day of travel, this was not at all impressive. We also soon discovered that any sort of printed materials are non-existent at the resort - no info on check-in/check out time, no map of the resort, no list of services, no phone directory, nothing at the front desk or in any of the rooms. Check-out was a lot nicer/faster/easier - check-out time is 12pm, but our ride was not going to arrive until 1pm. They told us we were welcome to keep using the bars, restaurants, etc. until our ride arrived, and the gentleman in charge of transportation at the front entrance made sure our shuttle arrived for us on time.

Rooms: The resort has a lot more double rooms than single rooms with king beds. We had read other reviews saying the king rooms were hard to come by, so we called ahead to request one, and were happy to see that they were able to deliver. We stayed in room 141, which had a patio that went out onto sort of a cactus-filled courtyard and was close to the buffet restaurant. It seems that all of the rooms here (with a few exceptions) overlook the central area with the buffet, pool, bars, etc. This might be a problem for people who prefer their rooms to be absolutely quiet - most nights, there will be some noise from the bar/entertainment until 1030/11pm. It wasn't a problem for us. Also, I think if we came back, we would request a room on a higher level - we would have rather had a balcony than a patio. The patio is less secure, so we couldn't leave our windows open at night. As well, being on the ground level means no chance of a view. However, we didn't spend all that much time in the room anyhow as there were so many other great places to hang out at the resort. The bed was extremely firm - I didn't know a mattress could be so hard! We found we had plenty of drawer/closet space for our things, but there weren't nearly enough hangers in the closet. There was a television with 99% Spanish-language channels, a mini-bar stocked daily with 2 beers, 2 sodas, and 2 waters, and bizarrely, a coffee-maker and mugs but never any coffee, and an ice-bucket, but absolutely no ice machine. The bathroom wasn't anything exciting - it was adequate, and the shower was large with a very high showerhead on the ceiling, which pleased my tall husband. I was a little sad about the lack of a nice tub to soak in. We also had a sofa and table on the inside of the room, and a sofa and table out on the patio. Housekeeping services started very early, so we started putting out the "Do Not Disturb" sign every day if we knew we weren't going to be out of the room until after 8am or so. However, we also had to call the front desk a couple of times when our room had still not been serviced by the afternoon even after removing the sign in the morning. The maids did a great job of cleaning and leaving lots of towels and toiletries - they really deserved being tipped! Wi-fi is sort of inconsistently available in the rooms - if you really need to access the internet, the best signal seemed to be in the lobby.

Food: There is a buffet restaurant and an a la carte restaurant that also functions as a snack bar. Hands down, the most consistently good meal at the buffet was breakfast - lots of fresh fruit, fresh omelettes, cereal, yogurt, baked goods, cheese, and a mix of other hot items (french toast, potatoes, burritos, beans, eggs, etc.) that changed daily. We had breakfast there every day. Lunch at the buffet was also fairly decent - there were always 2 types of soup and a salad bar, as well as a random smorgasbord of other items. (I have to say, no matter for lunch or dinner, this place does soup really well! I ate lots of it - it was my favorite item.) We also had lunch at the snack bar a couple of times. Much less impressive - all of the food seemed to be pre-frozen, pre-packaged, etc. It wasn't bad, just not exactly good either. (Nachos, burgers, pizza, hot dogs.... that sort of thing). For dinner, we ate at the buffet on 4 of the nights we were there. They always served Mexican + some sort of theme for the evening - French, Italian, "International", etc. Honestly, I wish there had been more Mexican! The food was always good, but it doesn't take very long to get sick of buffet fare. We ate at the a la carte on 2 of the nights - you have to make reservations at the front desk in advance. The menu there doesn't change nightly, and it doesn't really taste all that much different than the buffet. Additionally, the menu items were not all as promised. My husband ordered a prawn dish that was supposed to come with mushrooms stuffed with blue cheese and an assortment of steamed veggies - he actually got 4 tiny shrimp with some carrots and broccoli, no mushrooms, no blue cheese, and a portion size almost too small to be considered a meal. The nicest part of the a la carte is really getting to have more of a sit-down restaurant experience than the buffet. (We got totally sick of the resort food toward the middle of our stay and opted to have dinner at a restaurant in San Jose del Cabo instead.) Service at the restaurants was a bit inconsistent - sometimes we had very friendly waiters who paid us lots of attention and never let any of our beverages run dry, other times we felt totally ignored. We tipped only when we felt one was deserved.

Pools/bars/entertainment: There are 2 main pool areas, a larger one on the ground level, as well as a smaller one upstairs above the gym and spa building. The large pool was the much more active one - they often had water polo, aquafit, and other activities going on. We really liked the smaller pool area upstairs - there were plenty of lounge chairs as well as big cushioned furniture that we could lay on together, and it was more relaxing than the main pool. The upstairs pool is meant to be an infinity pool, but wasn't actually being run/pumped over the infinity edge. Minor complaint. We also liked to hang out on the chairs at the beach - there were plenty of sunny and shady areas to sit, and if you didn't sit too close to the edge of the roped-in areas, the beach vendors left you alone. (You can't swim on the beach due to rough waters, but I loved walking along and dipping my toes in the waves.) People were really strange about reserving seats early in the morning, even though there seems to be no need, and even though they often wouldn't actually come take their seats until the afternoon. We never had any trouble finding somewhere to sit, although we often found some of the more desirable seating had been "reserved", even though no one would be using the reserved seats for hours. It just seemed kind of rude on the part of other guests, and I wonder if the resort could do something to limit it. There are swim-up bars at both pools, as well as a bar inside the snack bar, another outdoor bar that opened at 530pm, and a bar inside the lobby/disco that seemed to have the longest hours. In general, the bars were totally adequate, although they really suffered from a lack of printed material - a drink list would have been really useful. Drinks had a really inconsistent level of alcohol (seemingly regardless of whether we tipped or not and regardless of whether they were made by the same bartender or not). The only beer available is Tecate Light (which is closer to soda than beer), and sometimes an India Red Ale that also wasn't super impressive. The entertainment was sometimes entertaining, and sometimes sort of laughably lame. I've heard enough cheesy renditions of Hotel California and Margaritaville to last a lifetime! We never really stayed up late enough to attend the disco, but from overhearing others chatting about it, it sounded fun. We preferred to tuck in early so we could get up to watch the beautiful sunrises on the beach - highly recommended!

Location: I think the location of this resort really can't be beat. There's a plaza literally right across the street with a Mega (giant Walmart-type supermarket) as well as a Starbucks, McDonalds, and a few other shops. There's another plaza literally right next door with a fresh produce shop, a deli, and a great little spa called Mex Sun (we went there instead of to the resort spa as it was lots cheaper, and was really amazing!). The resort is also walking distance to San Jose del Cabo if you're up to it (30-40 minutes in lots of heat - I regretted it!), or a really cheap bus ride if you're not. There are yellow school buses known as the Urbano that go right through the resort zone and into San Jose in about 10 minutes and cost 10-20 pesos (about $1-2 US). We loved San Jose and went into town twice - very quaint, beautiful galleries, lots of restaurants, lots of silver shops and other little stores. You can also catch the bus to Cabo San Lucas from right across the highway from the Mega - that cost about 30-40 pesos ($3-4 US). The ride takes about 30-45 minutes on a coach-type bus that is normally air-conditioned. We went into Cabo San Lucas once to check out the large mall and go on a speedboat whale-watching tour. It's definitely a more fast-paced modern place compared to San Jose del Cabo.

Overall, we had a really good time at the Royal Decameron, and would consider coming back if we got another good deal on the price. I believe they are billing themselves as a 4-star resort - I would consider them a really solid 3 or 3.5 star resort based on our experience there. They need to provide guests with more printed material/information, they could use a better a la carte restaurant or even just an additional restaurant with a different kind of cuisine, their check-in procedures need to be expedited, their service needs to be more consistent, and although the rooms are totally clean and adequate, there isn't anything special enough about the accommodations in my view to be considered 4-star.

Room Tip: Call ahead if you'd like to request a specific type of room, especially if you prefer a King roo...
Aurora, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

This hotel has the potential of being a true gem of a hotel. The location is perfect... the rooms well appointed, the food delicious! Rather than go into details of the issues, it will be easier to let you know some things to pay attention to.... Most of the staff was pleasant, but as in some places many did not speak any English and rather than get someone to help us, etc, they would just walk away. The bar tenders were sometimes downright rude. They would take your order then walk away, the bars were definitely understaffed. They service premium liquor, but many of the drinks were mostly liquor, and very limited flavor, which is usually not the case. Royal Decameron would save money and have happier customers if the drinks tasted like what was ordered. strange request, I know!
If the room includes a mini bar, make sure its stocked.. We had to ask to get it stocked each day. And sometimes it still didn't happen.
The very short version of this review... awesome hotel! has everything going for it, but the staff did not seem to care in many instances. BUT 2 employees REALLY stood out as great. Santiago was security I think, and made sure we got what we needed once he saw some things that happened, and Alberto was awesome with pool side entertainment. They were wonderful.
The brochures said the hotel was brand new, but it was not. According to staff members, it was a semi nudist place that did not work out, and they remodeled, but kept the staff....
I only gave 4 stars mostly because while it was a great trip, due to a few issues - which I think in part was some of the staff and the remodeling... the hotel could fix just a few things and it would definitely be a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Its hard to say... very loud by the restaurant at night, but then because the hotel is small, Im not...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos
#28 of 39 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 stars 1,169 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#26 of 39 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 stars 2,349 reviews
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#42 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 stars 5,450 reviews
Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos

Been to Royal Decameron Los Cabos? Share your experiences!