We stayed at this property in June 2013 when it's under Barcelo's management. It's a very late review but worth sharing my experience because I'm preparing another trip.
I booked and prepaid for a family room (cost extra) for my family, me, my wife, and my 2 year old son mainly because we wanted to be able to rest in the living room while my son was asleep. After check-in, we found out that we were assigned to a standard room, which someone was using. I walked down to the front desk. They promised me to change our room, I asked whether new one was a family room. The guys in the front desk kept telling me that I would love the new room. However, it turned out to be another standard room although no one was using it. I demanded a family room. It turned out that they didn't have any family room available. No apology until this point. They overbooked and sold my prepaid family room to another guest. THEY STOLEN MY MONEY AND SEEMED THAT THEY DIDN'T CARE ABOUT IT. In most cases, they will upgrade the room but in this hotel, they actually downgraded our room. They told me that they couldn't tell when we could move to a family room.I should have threatened them asking the refund of my money otherwise the hotel charge would be disputed. I was too mellow and didn't want to ruin our vacation - it was a vacation package, which was not clear how much was the hotel portion. In the following day, I was told that a family room was available. They asked me to come down to the front desk!! I demanded to come to the room to give a new key and move our luggage. They insisted me to come down. So, I went down (they later explained it's due to the security) and finally got a new key for the family room. Until this point, there were no sincere apologies and any compensation. I demanded one. They promised me a bottle of Champagne. It turned out that this Champagne is the same as the one given freely in the breakfast buffet.
One minor additional complain is that the family room doesn't seem to be well-managed as standard rooms. There was a leaking faucet in the tub.
My summary is
Front desk : 0/5
Food: 3/5 (some a la carte dishes were very good but didn't like the Japanese)
Service (other than front desk): 4/5 (kid's club staffs were wonderful)
Property ground: 4/5
Other than this incident, I enjoyed my stay. However, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. I'll never stay at this hotel (even under Hyatt management) or other Barcelo properties. I don't think this hotel really deserves 4.5 star rating. It can be different now. However, I still see similar complains about check-in, etc. People (front desk team) don't change easily.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on one of the most majestic peninsulas in the world and offering spectacular views of the Sea of Cortes, Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos is a luxurious all inclusive oasis of sophistication and comfort. This magnificent beachfront resort is minutes from beautiful downtown San Jose del Cabo and features plush accommodations, impressive amenities, impeccable service and is just minutes from the international airport.Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos is a unique, all inclusive experience that offers a myriad of activities from fine dining options at six a la carte restaurants and two gourmet buffet restaurants, to unique spa treatments, Children’s programming and nightly entertainment shows. Enjoy deep-water fishing, scuba diving, world-class golf and many more adventure activities nearby. Or, simply relax and soak up the sun in one of the resort’s five swimming pools and breathtaking beachfront.This luxury resort also features 35,000 square feet of meeting facilities and ideal locations combined with the special touch of event planners who will attend to every last detail. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp. and Odigeo so you can book your Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Los Cabos Palace Deluxe Hotel San Jose Del Cabo
- Barcelo Hotel Los Cabos
- Barcelo Resort Los Cabos
- The Grand Baja
- Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos San Jose Del Cabo