“They owe us a refund, it's been months!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos

You added Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo del Malecon l-5 D, Fonatur Zona Hotelera, San Jose del Cabo, Mexico (Formerly Barcelo Los Cabos Palace Deluxe)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
All Inclusive Resort
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Mountain View, California
“They owe us a refund, it's been months!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This review is specific to an issue that we spent much of our honeymoon time talking with Fernanda, who was apparently one of the hotel managers. They double charged us for one night of our stay back in September (once through they Hyatt and once through Expedia) when we were assured that the finance department would refund our credit card within 2-3 days. Thinking this is a Hyatt, an american company, we would be safe. They are clearly unorganized, as we have been talking to corporate for months and they have asked for our credit card bill (2 times) and still have not given us the refund. To avoid being charged inappropriately, I would take caution with this hotel. We are extremely disappointed and will no longer stay at any Hyatt hotels for our travels. It's too bad, since this is a beautiful hotel.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
Costa Mesa, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I stayed with some friends at the Hyatt Ziva in September for a bachelorette party. 3 people shared the room for 2 nights and 2 on the third night. This was all clearly booked properly in our reservation confirmation received via email. Our overall stay was good but when we checked out the staff said their printer was broken so they could not show me my final bill. When I returned home I saw my credit card was charged more than what I had agreed to at check in. Upon calling numerous times, I found out that they billed me for an additional person the last night. I explained that this person used the hotel shuttle to the airport and they could verify that there were just two people the last night. I was put in touch with Rodolfo Sanchez who said he would look into it for me but then has not returned any of my emails. So I am out the $80 as of now. This could have all been avoided if their printer was not "broken" upon checkout.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The most memorable thing about the last trip we went on to the Hyatt Ziva in Los Cabos was the food. We tried most of the restaurants and found all of them to be excellent! We can't wait to go back again!

Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I've never reviewed on trip advisor and I am a fairly well seasoned traveller that has come to expect that not all hotels are different and that they operate differently from city to city and country to country. Having said this, I have unfortunately had a very poor experience with the Hyatt Ziva in Cabos and have found it difficult to express this. Fall 2014 we contacted Hyatt Ziva to book our wedding for July 2015. Since that time, we have been bounced through 3 different wedding planners and have yet to recieve a contract with them, despite numerous detailed emails going their way. While they have suffered a massive set back with the hurricane, we did not contact them for over a month in the thoughts that they had much bigger things to deal with. After some time, we contacted the hotel and they said they are gauranteed to be open on April 30, 2015 and to go ahead and book the wedding, even giving our travel agent confirmation. The wedding planners have not answered emails including after a phone conversation where they said they would send the contract for the wedding and some follow up information. It has been 5 weeks since that conversation and we have heard nothing back from them; despite sending polite follow up emails to them to inquire as to the status. Today, after numerous attempts, we got a hold of the wedding planner on the phone who told us that the hotel will not be open until mid June 2015 and would we mind pushing back our wedding - this is after they told us to go ahead and book, took the money, etc.
For a destination wedding, this hotel is very expensive - charging $75 pp for a wedding. Despite this price, we went with the Hyatt because we were told they followed the Hyatt brand to T and delivered on that quality. Unfortunately, we have not had that experience in our 5 months of communicating with the hotel. While I am aware that they are having trouble on their end, I feel that they have not given their prospective and BOOKED clients fair treatment. We are now looking into pulling our 130 booked people for July 2015 from this hotel to another because of the severe lack of communication, professionalism and respect that they have shown us and our travel agents. I am not sure if others have experienced this frustration. I am not mad at the hotel, just earnestly let down by the Hyatt brand that I think their managers and supervisors should be aware of how Hyatt is being represented.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sumner, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We traveled to this resort Septemeber 11-16, 2014, to celebrate our anniversary. This resort is beautiful! The staff is very accommodating! The buffet bar is ok, but we did get to try the French, Lotus was good, Steakhouse which was good. Did the tour of Cabo, which was fun, some of it was short lived because of hurricane Odile coming.

As hurricane was approaching, management got us together for a meeting of protocol. We gathered a few necessities & headed to the theater. The resort provided us food, water, & pop, gave us mats from outdoor chairs for our beds, gave us linen & pillows. They had movies playing to keep our minds off of with hurricane approaching. It did get scary when the first part of the storm hit, but once again, management & staff stepped up and tried to keep us informed & comfortable. The next day, the destruction was devastating! That evening the resort was able to get a land line out to call our loved ones. Following day management arranged for to go back to our rooms, gather our luggage and provided transportation to military airport base to evacuate.

It was a long process, and confusion at the airport, but we finally managed to get onto a plane, 5 1/2 hrs later. One word of advice, if this ever happened again, bring all the water you can carry with for evacuation. It was very hot in the sun & people were getting dehydrated.

After hearing from other travelers at other resorts, I feel very blessed that this resort took very good care of us! They did not abandon us, like other resorts did to people. They took excellent care of us! What sunny days we had, we truly loved this resort!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Wildwood, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed at this location over the summer holidays. My family typically take a summer vacation at an all inclusive resort and we typically stay with AM Resorts. After a few years of the same repetitive experience we decided to be adventurous and try something different. We were skeptical about booking with another company. I ca honestly tell you that we had a fantastic experience. I would highly recommend this location. Staff was friendly, food was fantastic and accommodations were top notch. Hyatt thanks for making this a very special vacation for the entire family.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for sharing with us you experience at Hyatt Ziva los Cabos, your opinion is very important for us, it help us to keep improving day by day, your kindly words motivate all of our associates to work and achieve the satisfaction of our guests.

I hope your next visit will be even better, best regards.

Francisco J. Silva
Managing Director
Chapel Hill, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We held our beach wedding at Hyatt Ziva in June, and also stayed at the property several months before when it was operated by Barcelo. This review will be only for the Hyatt-managed experience, though I will draw some comparisons.

Pros: Our wedding planner absolutely nailed it on the wedding day. She had everything arranged and the wedding went off without a hitch. She truly made it a very special day. I have only one small complaint (see below), because the event itself was pretty much perfect, and we owe it to the planner for making it so.

The food is excellent. This is one of the huge improvements Hyatt made when they took over. I consider myself a bit of a foodie, and the meals I had at Hyatt Ziva were absolutely top-notch. They have enough restaurants on site that I never got bored with any of the food, and the service at the restaurants is excellent.

The room we were given was unbelievable. The views of the ocean, the pool, and the well-manicured grounds were just spectacular.

The hotel is very close to the airport, and there is a huge grocery store about a 2 minute walk in case you need more sunscreen.

The service is top-notch. There are plenty of pool attendants, servers, etc to take care of anything that happens, and they all work extremely hard. At one point in the International restaurant I accidentally dropped a $50 bill from my pocket, and the woman who cleaned up after us actually chased me down to return it.

The gym is well-stocked with exercise equipment and free weights, and unlike many places where the gym is tucked into the basement, the gym at Hyatt Ziva is on the third floor overlooking the ocean. There is also a tennis and basketball court.

There are a lot of things to do at night after dinner, like a "sports bar" with pool, darts, and plenty of TVs showing sporting events. It would be great if there were a dance club sort of thing, but that's a minor complaint. We never went to any of the shows, but we did enjoy the entertainment provided by the cast members around the pool during the day time.

Cons: The beach chair system is ridiculous. The pool attendants place towels out at 5:00 am or so, and even at that time many of the pool cabanas and chairs are "reserved" with floaties, old magazines, and empty sunscreen bottles. The resort takes NO action to prevent this, and during our stay - even though I got up earlier and earlier each day - we never got those seats. Even worse, on many days the seats were never actually occupied with anything but the junk some jerk used to reserve them. Many resorts and cruise ships have figured out how to prevent people from "reserving" chairs for hours (and days) at a time without using them, but Hyatt Ziva is behind the curve on this one. I would love to return to this resort, but you have to get up at 5:00am to play the pool chair game, or else you risk not having a chair at all. It's worse if you are trying to get two chairs together, and if you have a family forget about it. That is not my idea of relaxation.

More Cons: Like I said above, the wedding planner and her staff nailed it on the wedding day, but we were a little nervous beforehand because the communication with them was slow. It often took a week to get a response to emails, and once our wedding planner was replaced and no one told us. I think our experience would have been better if the communication from the hotel staff were a little more timely.

I'm really looking forward to coming back to Hyatt Ziva, but I hope they get the pool chair situation figured out before then. It's a wonderful resort!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this review, 1 week ago
We do appreciate your comments and recommendations. Thank you for sharing with us the time at the Hyatt Ziva, it was a pleasure to offer you the best service and crate a positive experience in your life.

Our staff really appreciate your reviews.

We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Best Regards
Francisco J. Silva
Managing Director
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos

Been to Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos? Share your experiences!