“Cabo Honeymoon” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo del Malecon l-5 D, Fonatur Zona Hotelera, San Jose del Cabo, Mexico (Formerly Barcelo Los Cabos Palace Deluxe)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
All Inclusive Resort
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Minnesota, United States
“Cabo Honeymoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We absolutely loved Hyatt Ziva for our honeymoon! We had an amazing time lounging at the adults-only pool and enjoying dinner at all of the restaurants. I think our favorite lunch-time spot was at the adults-only pool ordering tacos from coco-loco :) I couldn't have asked for a better get away!

Room Tip: Highly recommend building 3 for rooms and ocean views!
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
Bellevue, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

It’s the Carnival Cruise Ship on Land……..not Celebrity Cruise Line or any other Luxury Line……it is average that’s all.

This is a 3.5 Star Hotel, no where near the Hyatt Brand. It is outdated and in need of better Front Desk Customer Service!! Trained the “Hyatt Brand” way.

Martha our Gold Pass check-in agent was overwhelmed with a family in front of us and it took 2 1/2 hours to check into our hotel room. She was not very friendly or welcoming and when showing her my Family Suite Upgrade she told me we would have a much nicer and newly remodled room in building 3. She also neglected to tell our family of 4 about the Hyatt Club Room we were entitled to have access too and missed that opportunity and experience.

Yes, there are the really great service staff, but they were too few are far in-between. We are great tippers, so this allowed a little leverage our way. Especially while waiting at the swim-up bar or lounging by the pool.

I was so shocked and underwhelmed by our first room, my thought was “I have just been duped by the the ol’ “Bait & Switch”. The pictures online were nothing like the room I entered. The entry to our room had a clump of black matted hair that continued into the bathroom and shower floor. The Bed Skirting was splattered with brown spots (I don’t want to know *gulp*) The room was small and I could see the disappointment in my children’s eyes as well. I had been online showing them pictures of the hotel for weeks. I had a Free Family Suite Upgrade with our 7 day stay that was not honored at the time of check-in. It took our Bell Hop Rueben (WHO WAS AMAZING) calling (on in-room phone) Martha to let her know of our disappointment and we showed him our paperwork from Hyatt that said Family Suite. After 15 minutes of spanish back and forth and him being put on hold, I told him to take us back to the front desk. (I felt bad for my Hot, Sweaty, Hungry & Tired kids, but also to Rueben who is now losing out on his Bell-Hop Tips ( We ended up giving him $40.00 and left a $200.00 Canopy we bought at Wal-Mart when arriving to him; A lot of reviews state that the Umbrella’s are gone by 8:00 AM being held hostage by towels, flip flops etc and It is TRUE)

Our Family Suite while being much more spacious and our House Keeper Elizabeth being EXCEPTIONAL and clearly worth the tip of $10.00-$20.00 US Daily depending upon our requests i.e. more for clean sheets and extras was great. The disappointment came with Black Mold on our Shower Curtain and the Master Bathroom Door would not close ( I heard this from many guests) After requesting this to be fixed, nothing in 7 days was remedied. Having a family of 4 it is nice to have the privacy of closing a bathroom door.

Also noting at original room check-in we were given a Hyatt Gift that included a Card/Fruit/Sparkling Wine that was never received upon checking into our new room (and I requested this personally with the Front Desk). The Hyatt Family feel does not exist here.

The pools were maintained, but not well maintained, meaning there was hair in the drains, and the big pool almost had a slimy feel. Again, not the Hyatt standard I expect. The children's pool was being re-surfaced and someone would power wash a small spot for a couple hours a day. There would be paint chips all over your feet if you used the play area. Let's hope it is not Lead Paint!!

The restaurants were okay, some better than others, being that we are a family of 4 we were able to try many varieties of menu offerings. Don't expect crab legs, fresh cuts of prime meat or fish. This is where the one of the comparisons are to a Carnival vs. Celebrity come into play. There were always ANGRY and FRUSTRATED guests trying to get into restaurants. We were told being “Yellow Bands” Hyatt Gold Passport Members we were allowed to make reservations, however at the French restaurant we were told only “Platinum Bands” were allowed to make reservations and actually turned away by a very snooty Hostess. I suggest they train their staff better on their color system, as most are confused of the rules.

The Spa while very pleasing to the eyes, was just okay. My massage was average at best. Nothing to write home about. Sad

Room Service: Hold your breath.........we ordered 3 times while we were there. Strike 1 Strike 2 Strike 3..........Whoa this was one of the WORST services they offer. Do NOT order after 10:00 PM when restaurants close. One order took 2 1/2 hours Yes this was almost 1:00 AM by the time it arrived and the order not only was wrong, but the french fries were cold and everyone had fallen asleep.

Overall the quality of Hyatt was lacking. Most of the Front Desk staff were unfriendly I asked Miguel one day to break a $20.00 bill so I could tip their staff he told me to go ask the Bell Hop outside, who told me no he couldn't do it and then I went into the bar where they did, but tipped to get tip money back!!*sighs* My husband went to the front desk one day for a band-aid and was told he would have to go to the onsite store and buy one. Again, an example of why this doesn't fit the Hyatt Brand.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Lawrenceville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Best trip ever can't wait to go back. The resort has so much to offer. It's super clean, the staff is very attentive, food is always fresh and so many choices, there is no way you would go hungry. The resort was worth every penny,I recommend it to all my friends....I can't wait to book my next trip back...

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Rooms: Awesome! We booked the trip with expedia and did not up-grade the room. I was surprised at how nice it was. It had dark wood accents, was very large, and the bathroom was amazing... peek through window with whirlpool tub!

Hotel: Pretty standard for open air tropical resort. It had a nice relaxed atmosphere!

Pool: THE BEST PART. Large pool has lounge seats that sit right over the pool. The pool next to the beach in an infinity pool.

Beach: Is a beautiful white sand beach. It is not safe for swimming but great for walking or strolling along.

Food: It was all-inclusive. I think there is 4 different restaurants within the hotel + a pool bar. The food was fine- not super but fine.

Service: The people were awesome- very attentive! All of them were accommodating to english speakers.

I felt safe & was overall very pleased with the short trip!!!

Grand Junction, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We have stayed at many AI resorts and this one ranks in the top 10 for us. The food was either outstanding or so-so, just depends on what they are cooking. The Italian food is not that great (my son wanted spaghetti with marinara and the Italian restaurant nor the Italian buffet had it). The Mexican food was fantastic. Service was great - most employees were happy and it was not a forced greeting but a genuine welcome. We arrived the day after hurricane Norbert went through so the resort was only about 30% full so we always had chairs and never had to wait for food service. Was a bit disappointed that they did not have Dos XX (another reviewer said they had it) but Corona will do, and they had most mid level liquors (Captain Morgans, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Stoli and a lot of tequila's). Our room was an upgrade to the Family Suit, very clean and roomy with 2 bathrooms. Beach is not swimable but we knew that coming to Cabo. We will come back to this resort as we had a great time and the place looks great at night time.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The property is nice but there is a disconnect between wait staff who are wonderful and front desk staff who acted like we were a inconvenience
Upon check in our room had no hot water, the tub leaked water all over the floor and the tiles had so much non fixable condensation we were slipping all over
We went to change our room which had to be approved by an ungracious supervisor reluctantly
There was a lot of construction next door with a loud microphone for pool games so was not peaceful outside
Also the adult pool at 10 am still had half empty beer cans drinks and eve a burrito floating in the pool
There is unlimited food and drink( the buffet is mediocre) and large cruise ship style shows Ina theatre so if you like the cruise ship feel, this will bea fit for you
Being a hyatt member I think they can do better

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments and the time you took to write them.

We are sorry to learn that we could not exceed your expectations, your feedback helps us to keep improving our service and quality. We have many advantages like our grounds, pools, restaurants and rooms, all of that created for your comfort and enjoyment. Many thanks for your kind comments about our friendly staff, we love to serve.

Best Regards

Francisco J. Silva
oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This hotel used to be Grand Baja, then was sold, enlarged, pools changed and renamed Barcelo, then renamed again to Hyatt Ziva. The original Grand Baja building is building 2, the L-shaped eastern one. Some units in this building have been refurbished and some have not, so be sure to check everything works, such as AC, lights and plumbing when you get your room. Ocean front rooms have terrific views and are closest to the surf, but our unit's AC didn't work well even after several attempts to fix it. At the end of our 2 week stay, several elevators didn't work. Almost nightly stage shows are entertaining, performers work very hard to put on a good show. Staff makes this place very enjoyable. Pool area could use some additional umbrellas. Extra cost for beach palapas seems excessive. Convenient for catching local bus to old town (10 pesos) or catching Cabo bus (across from Mega).

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing with us you experience at Hyatt Ziva los Cabos, your opinion is very important for us, it help us to keep improving day by day, your kindly words motivate all of our associates to work and achieve the satisfaction of our guests.

We appreciate all yous commentes about aour differentes areas, your feedback helps us to improve our service and achieve our main goal, customer satisfaction.

We are sure your next visit will be even better.

Best regards

Francisco Silva
Managing Director
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos

Been to Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos? Share your experiences!