It’s the Carnival Cruise Ship on Land……..not Celebrity Cruise Line or any other Luxury Line……it is average that’s all.
This is a 3.5 Star Hotel, no where near the Hyatt Brand. It is outdated and in need of better Front Desk Customer Service!! Trained the “Hyatt Brand” way.
Martha our Gold Pass check-in agent was overwhelmed with a family in front of us and it took 2 1/2 hours to check into our hotel room. She was not very friendly or welcoming and when showing her my Family Suite Upgrade she told me we would have a much nicer and newly remodled room in building 3. She also neglected to tell our family of 4 about the Hyatt Club Room we were entitled to have access too and missed that opportunity and experience.
Yes, there are the really great service staff, but they were too few are far in-between. We are great tippers, so this allowed a little leverage our way. Especially while waiting at the swim-up bar or lounging by the pool.
I was so shocked and underwhelmed by our first room, my thought was “I have just been duped by the the ol’ “Bait & Switch”. The pictures online were nothing like the room I entered. The entry to our room had a clump of black matted hair that continued into the bathroom and shower floor. The Bed Skirting was splattered with brown spots (I don’t want to know *gulp*) The room was small and I could see the disappointment in my children’s eyes as well. I had been online showing them pictures of the hotel for weeks. I had a Free Family Suite Upgrade with our 7 day stay that was not honored at the time of check-in. It took our Bell Hop Rueben (WHO WAS AMAZING) calling (on in-room phone) Martha to let her know of our disappointment and we showed him our paperwork from Hyatt that said Family Suite. After 15 minutes of spanish back and forth and him being put on hold, I told him to take us back to the front desk. (I felt bad for my Hot, Sweaty, Hungry & Tired kids, but also to Rueben who is now losing out on his Bell-Hop Tips ( We ended up giving him $40.00 and left a $200.00 Canopy we bought at Wal-Mart when arriving to him; A lot of reviews state that the Umbrella’s are gone by 8:00 AM being held hostage by towels, flip flops etc and It is TRUE)
Our Family Suite while being much more spacious and our House Keeper Elizabeth being EXCEPTIONAL and clearly worth the tip of $10.00-$20.00 US Daily depending upon our requests i.e. more for clean sheets and extras was great. The disappointment came with Black Mold on our Shower Curtain and the Master Bathroom Door would not close ( I heard this from many guests) After requesting this to be fixed, nothing in 7 days was remedied. Having a family of 4 it is nice to have the privacy of closing a bathroom door.
Also noting at original room check-in we were given a Hyatt Gift that included a Card/Fruit/Sparkling Wine that was never received upon checking into our new room (and I requested this personally with the Front Desk). The Hyatt Family feel does not exist here.
The pools were maintained, but not well maintained, meaning there was hair in the drains, and the big pool almost had a slimy feel. Again, not the Hyatt standard I expect. The children's pool was being re-surfaced and someone would power wash a small spot for a couple hours a day. There would be paint chips all over your feet if you used the play area. Let's hope it is not Lead Paint!!
The restaurants were okay, some better than others, being that we are a family of 4 we were able to try many varieties of menu offerings. Don't expect crab legs, fresh cuts of prime meat or fish. This is where the one of the comparisons are to a Carnival vs. Celebrity come into play. There were always ANGRY and FRUSTRATED guests trying to get into restaurants. We were told being “Yellow Bands” Hyatt Gold Passport Members we were allowed to make reservations, however at the French restaurant we were told only “Platinum Bands” were allowed to make reservations and actually turned away by a very snooty Hostess. I suggest they train their staff better on their color system, as most are confused of the rules.
The Spa while very pleasing to the eyes, was just okay. My massage was average at best. Nothing to write home about. Sad
Room Service: Hold your breath.........we ordered 3 times while we were there. Strike 1 Strike 2 Strike 3..........Whoa this was one of the WORST services they offer. Do NOT order after 10:00 PM when restaurants close. One order took 2 1/2 hours Yes this was almost 1:00 AM by the time it arrived and the order not only was wrong, but the french fries were cold and everyone had fallen asleep.
Overall the quality of Hyatt was lacking. Most of the Front Desk staff were unfriendly I asked Miguel one day to break a $20.00 bill so I could tip their staff he told me to go ask the Bell Hop outside, who told me no he couldn't do it and then I went into the bar where they did, but tipped to get tip money back!!*sighs* My husband went to the front desk one day for a band-aid and was told he would have to go to the onsite store and buy one. Again, an example of why this doesn't fit the Hyatt Brand.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on one of the most majestic peninsulas in the world and offering spectacular views of the Sea of Cortes, Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos is a luxurious all inclusive oasis of sophistication and comfort. This magnificent beachfront resort is minutes from beautiful downtown San Jose del Cabo and features plush accommodations, impressive amenities, impeccable service and is just minutes from the international airport.Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos is a unique, all inclusive experience that offers a myriad of activities from fine dining options at six a la carte restaurants and two gourmet buffet restaurants, to unique spa treatments, Children’s programming and nightly entertainment shows. Enjoy deep-water fishing, scuba diving, world-class golf and many more adventure activities nearby. Or, simply relax and soak up the sun in one of the resort’s five swimming pools and breathtaking beachfront.This luxury resort also features 35,000 square feet of meeting facilities and ideal locations combined with the special touch of event planners who will attend to every last detail. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Venere, Priceline and Otel so you can book your Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Los Cabos Palace Deluxe Hotel San Jose Del Cabo
- Barcelo Hotel Los Cabos
- Barcelo Resort Los Cabos
- The Grand Baja
- Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos San Jose Del Cabo