“Forgot they were in the Hospitality business” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo del Malecon l-5 D, Fonatur Zona Hotelera, San Jose del Cabo, Mexico (Formerly Barcelo Los Cabos Palace Deluxe)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
All Inclusive Resort
Ranked #11 of 39 hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Pittsburgh, Championship City
“Forgot they were in the Hospitality business”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW credit card Amex Card Member Review

I take my 50% of the responsibility- I was not familiar with the strictest interpretation of 'all inclusive". My scenario: I did not choose this hotel as a destination. I was in San Jose for the night unexpectedly, and walked in off the street lured by the Hyatt name. BTW, all the hotels on the beach strip seem to be 'all inclusive'. First question, " Do you have a vacancy?" was met by one consultation with a co-worker, one telephone call, and one lengthy gaze into the computer. Literally 5 minutes to say 'yes'. Ok, the rate? "$ 500.00 US for two rooms". A little strange, but, ok. Beautiful pool the kids report. We'll take it. BTW, 'we are all inclusive' comes the final bit of info. I had already dismissed one property because we had plans to meet friends later at a restaurant, but ok, the pool was beautiful. So, I think we can invite our friends to eat at the Hyatt at one of their five restaurants....big mistake. When the friends arrive, they told they cannot park at the hotel. They are told they cannot come into the hotel if they don't pay, and we are told that no, no guests will be entertained at the hotel, that everyone must pay a room fee to be there. Ok, I understand the rules, but to be so adamant, to be so inhospitable, to make my friends like they were trespassing is very disturbing. Our friends are longtime business people located in Cabo, and to hold this impossible standard of no guests of guests permitted on the property was insulting. Why? Some of the guests that were staying at the hotel were abusing the all the alcohol you can drink policy, and as I was looking for the manager, he was busy dealing with some shirtless guests that were fist fighting and kicking each other in the head in the lobby, whilst being sent by the police to the Holiday Inn down the street. So the whole situation was collapsing all around, and is typical of Mexico, totally unpredictable. We lost the opportunity to have a dinner with our friends, we could not socialize, the food in the restaurant was mediocre at best, and the internet painfully slow.
With respect to the manager, he did actively seek me out, listened patiently to my comments, and apologized for the hotel's policies and any misunderstanding, which was very professional of him. But all inclusive? Not my cup of tea!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

843 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We are not fans of all-inclusive resorts, but the Hyatt Ziva ranks well. Premium level room had a nice view of the ocean and good amenities. Food is average to slightly above-average for all inclusive places. The drinks are good; some excellent. The best part of the resort are the extensive pools with lounges in the water, especially the adult pool area, and the beautiful view from the pool areas to the ocean. The staff deserves special note -- enthusiastic, welcoming, energetic and upbeat -- with courteous and excellent service. We went for a wedding and that was excellent -- well organized with terrific food in one of the restaurants right on the beach. If you like all-inclusives, you'll like the Hyatt Ziva. Just be aware of high summer humidity and that you can't swim in the ocean (Sea of Cortez) at the resort due to dangerous riptides.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

I would go back to this hotel in a heart beat! The staff was so friendly, all involved in helping and making it feel like a great time. Tony always was there to make sure everyone was having fun and getting you involved in all the activities. He was very energetic, a great person to talk to and always had a smile on his face. I can't wait to go back! The entire staff was absolutely the best as well as very professional.

• Stayed August 2014
HyattZivaCabos, Director General at Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos Associates I want to thank you for your kind comments.

We are committed to offer a memorable experience and exceed all our guests expectations with the friendliness of our staff, the quality of our restaurants and the beauty of our facilities, it is pleasant to learn that we achieved your complete satisfaction, there are no words to thank you for your kind words.

Tony will receive the recognition for his performance and we hope to have another opportunity to host you in the near future.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Last year my wife and I and another couple had an AWESOME vacation, when it was then a Barcello property. We came back this summer, July 5th to the 11th, with the same couple, and brought two other couples, for a party of 8 of us. this year the property was owned by Hyatt. We all had a wonderful time again. The property, again, the grounds were immaculate!!!!!!!!! We had the premiere package, and enjoyed the adjoining suites in bldg 3, with the ocean view. ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!!!!! All of the travertine stone is just beautiful. The food, was excellent!!!!! And the service impeccable !!!!!!! We ate one night at the steak house, out on the sand, i wasnt crazy about having to wear dress pants and dress shoes, especially in the sand, but the service and and the meal, was excellent, and i got over it!!!!! These people just can't do enough for you, always available, and extremely polite. Two employees that stood out amongst the rest worked at the banana lounge pool bar. My friend of two years, and hasn't skipped a beat, Marco Villanueva. Loves his job and reflects that with his service. Could go on forever!!!!! Hugo Villanueva (no relation ) is the pool lounge manager. At your service ALL day long. Never walked past you, without a good morning, or a good afternoon, is there anything I can get for you. I requested a song by Kenny Chesney, to be played, and this guy actually goes to his i phone and plays it from I tunes...... Again, they just can't do enough for you. My only suggestion would be , it would be nice to see the adult pool lounge, BE JUST FOR ADULTS!!!!! The bananna lounge pool obviosly serves cocktails, and to have children swimming around, it's just at times uncomfortable, especially with the huge family pool right behind the lounge pool. But again, that wouldnt keep me from coming back!!!!!!!! I thank you all for making us look good!!!! When you talk two other couples into spending their vacations and their hard earned monies, and then bring them along, and they're treated soooo well, again, we thank you, job well done. One of the couples that came along, have been to places in the Caribbean, Aruba, Hawaii, and so on, and say that Hyatt Ziva, blows them out of the water. THANK YOU, WE WILL SEE YOU AGAIN

Room Tip: Bldg 3, ocean view!!!!!!!! Just wait until you fall asleep, and wake up in the morning to the sound...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate your comments and your preference, we are delighted to learn that you enjoy our service for second time.

Since the brand change we are having improvements and innovations in our areas and service, and we continue working with the same passion and dedication to create memorable time and perfect moments to all our guest, Hugo and Marco are very thankful with your comments, they love pamper our guests.

We cannot wait to host you one more time, many thanks for your kind words.

Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Loved the ambience, the attention to detail, beautiful rooms, food and drinks were fabulous. except for one dining room experience which was mediocre!! Fabulous friendly staff and amazingly clean when we were there! Can't wait to try the Hyatt Ziva on PartyLite in Montego Bay next year!

Room Tip: We were on the third floor overlooking the pools and ocean and loved it!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

First of all we want to thank you for your comments and your preference.

We are proud that you had a wonderful time with us, enjoyed our facilities, tasted our restaurants and loved the service that we provided you.

The next time you visit us will be even better.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I absolutely loved this hotel! It was beautifully kept, and the staff is what made the place stand out! Tony, Brian, and Maria were so friendly and made sure everyone felt comfortable and had fun at all times. In fact, all three of them knew my name by my second day there. I looked forward to activities with them, like trivia, water aerobics, or volley ball. By the end, I felt like I had made great new friends.
These three employees really stood out as I saw them every day by the pool or at beach volley ball, but honestly, every staff member I encountered was so gracious and accommodating. The waiters in all of the buffets were wonderful, as were the bartenders (we had a wonderful waitress by the pool who learned our orders very quickly and was so kind). Further, every concierge and bellhop made us feel welcome. To me, the employees made this hotel stand out above any of the rest.
The shows were very entertaining (especially the International one), and the food was wonderful! I was scared that an all inclusive resort might not provide the best quality, but I was wrong! The food was fresh and delicious, and it was always presented in a beautiful way in large portions. The only restaurant that didn't blow my mind was probably the Japanese restaurant. It was a lot of fun, but the food didn't taste as wonderful as the Spanish restaurant, for example.
Also, there were a variety of visitors (not only couples), and different pool areas for a different atmosphere (ex. an adult pool, a children's pool, a party pool, and a family pool), and I enjoyed meeting people from all over. My mother and I both loved it. My only complaint was that the wifi was not great. Overall, wonderful place!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We enjoy reading a special review, many thanks for your kind comments and the time you took to share them.

We are pleased to know that we exceed your expectations and that you had a wonderful time with us, we strive every day to keep all our facilities ready for make feel all our guests like home, we appreciate your kind words to describe our services but most of all the friendliness of our staff.

We cannot wait to see you soon.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Not very welcoming. We paid extra for an ocean view and saw nothing but the resort view. Don't pay extra for the ocean view (waste of money). The food portions are very small so make sure to order double. There is a very large supermarket that pretty much sells everything less than a block away from the resort. Every time you left the resort and came back to the hotel, the bell men asked for your room number (not sure why). In my room in particular there was some damage. The sliding door to the bathroom area was broken as well as the door to the mini bar. A lot of mosquito filled the balcony during the day, which prevented me from wanting hang out there. After talking to alot of the natives, I learned that this resort in particular used to be another hotel, which closed down.

Pool: There are soo many pools to choose from. Make sure to reserve your seat early. People apparently wake up early to hold their seat. Enjoy the pool because you are not allowed in the ocean. WIFI is horrible!

Long story short, I personally would go to a different hotel the next time we come. Somewhere closer to Cabo San Lucas, instead of Los Cabos.

Room Tip: Although they claim to have wifi. It doesn't work well at all.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments and the time you took to write them.

We are sorry to learn that we could not exceed your expectations, your feedback helps us to keep improving our service and quality. We have beautiful areas like our grounds, pools, restaurants and rooms, all of that created for your comfort and enjoyment.

Many thanks for your comments.

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos

Been to Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos? Share your experiences!