“Hyatt Ziva - exceptional” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos to your Saves list
Expedia.com Travelocity
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo del Malecon l-5 D, Fonatur Zona Hotelera, San Jose del Cabo, Mexico (Formerly Barcelo Los Cabos Palace Deluxe)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
All Inclusive Resort
Prince George, BC
“Hyatt Ziva - exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This was the first all inclusive vacation for my husband and me. This was a trip planned for a cousins family time, enjoyed by all. Our experience was phenomenal. The resort was top of the line, with expert service and care from all the staff. Thank you Gabriel Rodriguez for your great service in the International Buffet. The food was fabulous!! The atmosphere was relaxing, the view was great and the service with continuous smiles from the staff added to our enjoyment.

Room Tip: Ocean view was awesome.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

412 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Coquitlam, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The staff was completely top notch, the property was incredibly beautiful and clean, our room was delightful, the beach was terrific.
A special shout out for a woman in perpetual motion ... Monica... The server at the pool bar and sometimes the beach. She truly seemed to care that we were having a lovely holiday.

Environment:
The endless electronic music throughout the resort on a repeating sound track was annoying after three days and almost unbearable by the end of the week.
Wouldn't it be possible to play instrumental music and vary the tracks every other day?

Sleep:
the room was either too hot or too cold. Up and down several times a night to adjust the air conditioner, the fan, or open or close the door. The duvet was lovely, but much too warm for the climate, and a sheet was not enough coverage.

Food and drink:
The food at the main buffet that should have been warm was often cold. The food at the evening specialty restaurants was usually pretty good, but three meals were inedible... which is frustrating when you arrive at eight and don't get served until nearly nine.... I did not expect the Hyatt to dump an entire salt shaker of salt on my steak, or serve crab that was streaked with black shrivelled spots, or serve me a lobster Thermidor where all I could taste were mushrooms and couldn't make out the lobster from the mushrooms. When we left those restaurants with one of us still hungry, it was too late to get into another a-la-carte and the atmosphere of the buffet area after dark was not relaxing. Ironically when one of us had a less than good meal at an a-la-carte, the other of us usually had a super delicious meal.
The poolside drinks were inconsistent... Mostly toooo sweet and made with way too much lime bar mix and syrups instead of juices. The Chenin white wine was much too oakey, and the Chardonnay which as also a bit oakey but decent, but was usually not available. Late in our week we discovered the lobby bar which seemed to make a nearly decent drink.
Unbelievably I was told by four different servers at four different times, that there was no green tea in the hotel. I checked the self serve area at the buffet, and couldn't find any type of green tea there either until our second last day when I finally found some at the lobby bar self serve area. Other than camomile tea, there was no other herbal selection all week. I am allergic to black tea and coffee, and I didn't know how much I would miss my daily green tea at breakfast.

I get one week away a year, and we will not spend another day here because we appreciate good food and a drink that doesn't give a sugar high or a headache. Will go back to our previous resort next time, as we heard from people we met on the beach that the food was still fantastic at the Melia Real.

Hyatt, your staff was very kind and did often ask if everything was okay as we were walking thru the resort, but we didn't want to stop and complain about something we felt couldn't be fixed overnight. The one time we said we were disappointed with the cold food, we didn't really get much response. No point dragging the negatives out during the holiday... So I am telling you our feelings via trip advisor.

Will not return.

Room Tip: 7th floor looks like the best view going. Stay out of the main building if you want quiet as the num...
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Fantastic resort! Travelled with my 22 year old son and husband. The food was fantastic, don't miss the flaming coffee in the Spanish restaurant , it's quite the show. The resort is quiet at night but we went to Cabo Wabo in Cabo San Lucas twice (taxi $35. Each way) or Beer and Brew in San Jose which you can easily walk to. Don't miss the Thursday art walk in San Jose this is worth the trip alone. The attention to detail is incredible by all staff, Leonel in the International Buffett was so attentive and thoughtful, he deserves 5 gold stars! Adrien and Monica at the infinity pool couldn't do enough to help us be comfortable, Estaban at the Spanish Restaurant made us feel like we were at a 5 star dining establishment. My son and husband can't decide if they liked the steak restaurant or The Japanese restaurant better, we ate at both twice and even though the resort. Is full to capacity we never had to wait. The steak restaurant and Coral the seafood restaurant are both open air on the beach so for atmosphere are top marks. But if you want romantic the Spanish and French were my hands down favorites. We are from Toronto and accustomed to fine dining establishments and the service in all of the restaurants exceeded our expectations. We also went skin diving at Lover's Beach, this felt like you were dropped in a tropical fish aquarium, the fish were so plentiful and colourful. The infinity pool is not heated but I found it to be very warm . I read reviews very carefully and I think management at Hyatt Ziva do too because I had read earlier reviews such as the food at the buffet was cold, this must have been addressed because the food was piping hot. There are also complaints about there being no music, again there is now live music in the Skippers bar and several evenings a live band played. I have only one suggestion, the cigar lounge was never used and it's unique architecture would make a fantastic disco at night. I think a lot of people would love the chance to dance at night.
We are already planning our return to Hyatt Ziva within this year.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I stayed twice before in this property when it was managed by Barcelo. I liked it. Even thought the food wasn´t that good with Barcelo and they had that rule that you could not dine in the specialties restaurants every day.
This time I book a great deal through expedia and Hyatt is really making an excellent job managing the hotel.
The only sour thing that happened to me was at check-in with a very rude guy named Fernando (they should teach him some manners) that really was mean and helpless; after than guy I thought I was starting my vacation on a left foot.
The food and the service was really amazing, I recommend the French Restaurant that we went twice, and also the Japanese teppan if you are going with kids. Now you can go to any specialties restaurants every day without any reservation, and these made a huge difference for me.
Drinks at the pool and bars were very good quality with a lot of premium brands, the beach is beautiful but people should know that there is no swimming in the ocean because it is very dangerous; always they had a black flag that is higher than a red flag.
I definitely would go back and recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

What a beautiful place, the staff were friendly and warm and the all inclusive incredible!!!
At all inclusive resorts you never know what they are going to give you but Ziva was A+ on
food and drinks - top end! Remember to bring pants if you're a guy because some of the resturants want you to wear them. Enjoy

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

From the time we got there I knew it was a good choice. I've stayed in Cabo before at some nice places but this place was the real deal. The service was impeccable, and since Hyatt took it over from Barcelo about 6 months ago, they have made a few positive changes to round out the amazingness.

The food was VERY good. For an all inclusive, that was pretty surprising. The drinks were also strong and they had tons of choices. It has been my experience in other AI's that they water down the drinks or give little cups or what have you. Definitely not the case here. Also, the 5 a la carte dinner restaurants and you didn't have to have a reservation for any of them. Some times there was a wait but we just went to the bar and waited. We enjoyed the Japanese restaurant the best, try the Teppanyaki table.

We had a swim up room, which was seriously awesome and worth the upgrade. It was great to not have to fight for a pool chair and to be able to jump in the pool and swim over to the bar. We were in the adult area, but was perfect for us. Although the resort was definitely not overrun with kids. We spent tons of time there. The swim up room was also considered a "premium" room, so there was a special lounge with food and top shelf liquor open all day. It wasn't necessary, but it had a great ocean view so we did go up there a bit. One thing I would recommend Hyatt do is tell you about the premium room upon check in. Had I not read it on Trip Advisor I wouldn't have known!

Also, there was no hassle on time shares, hidden charges, or the things I have heard of happening at other hotels. We checked out and owed nothing. No one asked us to buy anything except the guys on the beach when you went up to them. That was refreshing!

We are already planning a mid September re-visit.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are awesome and private. Try the adults only pool side, you can swim right into the ad...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed 3 nights in a ocean view room in the main building. There is so many awesome stuff at this resort that I'll have to start with the negatives.

Cons.

Faulty curtains. Maybe its just my room but we had to call maintenance on a daily basis to get them to fix the electronic curtains so we could open it and enjoy the view.

Housekeeping. On the second day they forgot to fill our water bottles in the mini fridge and we ran out of tissues in the bathroom. I had to call twice to them stocked.

Loud AC system. Thankfully there are 2 setting but the highest setting is extremely loud.

Slow Wifi. It wasn't unusable but it got down to ~0.1Mbps during heavy use times.

Hungry Seagulls. If you're eating at a table pool side they will attack your food the second you leave it unattended i.e to take a photo next to the pool. So be sure to finish or discard those corn chips before leaving the table.

Pros.

Everything else. Apart from those minor issues our stay was perfect.

Food. I think i gained about 5 pound from the buffets alone. Huge variety of everything and it changed daily. The beef ribs were just incredible. We only had time to try the french restaurant and it was quite nice, but avoid the "champagne".

Service. A special mention to our server Isidoro at the main buffet restaurant, pulling out my wife's chair and carrying her plate to the table every time she got up, our glasses were never empty. Pool side servers were prompt and attentive. We attended a water aerobics class which was lots of fun and ran by a super friendly "Mexican Hercules dude" (sorry forgot your name).

Nightly Shows. There's a different show on each night at 9pm. We managed to go to the Mexican show which was really entertaining and fun. The resort isn't near any night life like in Cabo so its nice that they provide entertainment at night.

Location. Great if you just want to stay at the resort and have a relaxing time. There isn't much shopping around except the MEGA (similar to walmart) which is 5 mins walk away. There is a shuttle service that leaves hourly to Cabo.

Overall.

It was a much needed relaxing stay in the sun and we'll definitely return to Ziva when we're in Cabo. For those who want a quiet and relaxing all-inclusive resort experience then I'd definitely recommend checking this place out.

Room Tip: Get a oceanview room but forget about paying for premium access. Its not worth the $100 difference j...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos? Share your experiences!