“Wonderful Resort - Can't wait to go back there” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort

Save Saved
You added Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Puerto Los Cabos, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Dallas, Texas
“Wonderful Resort - Can't wait to go back there”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed at Secrets PLC from July 12 - 16. I won a last minute airline ticket through work and decided to go to Cabo, I've been many times before and love it. I saw the great deal that Secrets PLC was offering but I was a bit hesitant as I was traveling by myself. Did I want 4 days surrounded by loved up couples? Well, I am so happy I decided to go. Yes, there were couples there but there were also families and everyone I met was super friendly and I left with new friends.

I was upgraded to a swim up room when I arrived. Not sure if it made the difference but I booked directly with the hotel's website. It was the same price as booking via a 3rd party (although I realize most folks book a package rather than flight and hotel individually). The room was amazing.

I did not leave the resort in 4 days, everything I wanted was right there. I spent most of my time in the larger pool, it was fabulous. The service was great, yes, the drinks were watered down but that was fine by me. The last thing I wanted was to get drunk and pass out in my room and miss the wonderful restaurants for dinner! My favorite restaurant was Portofino, but El Patio and Himitsu were great too. My new friends and I ended each night with at nightcap at Rendez Vous and then some dancing at Desires.

The service was five star, everyone was genuinely so friendly. I couldn't fault a thing about the whole resort and I am dying to go back.

I have read some reviews about not being able to swim in the sea. Please... it's Cabo. Do your research before you book. Most beaches are unswimmable in Cabo but I certainly did enjoy the beach bar and hearing the crashing waves.

Secrests PLC did an amazing job, a wonderful trip. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Powder Springs, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Went with my wife as a getaway trip for a week, and found a resort I will vacation with for a lifetime. This resort is a little farther away from all the action but that's what makes this place so amazing! Room was insane and the view was to die for! Very clean, unbelievable five star service, wide selection of activities, good drinks, and tasty food, etc. If your looking for a place to go with just you and your significant other or even with kids (18+) this has got to be on your list! Hands down one of the nicest and well put together operations I have seen! Unlike most other resorts too, no sales pitches!! They offer you additional excursions/activities and wine to spend money on but they don't pressure you to buy anything! Very relaxing atmosphere and I'm already planning a trip back soon!!

Room Tip: Get either ocean view or "swim out" room (giant lagoon pool that allows you to swim right...
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Location of hotel is approx. 35 minutes from airport and approx. 35 to San Lucas (downtown area/arches/night life). Only way to get to San Lucas (where the arches are located is by cab and that is $45 US dollars each way.)

Hotel: exceptionally clean, beautifully manicured lawns, exotic flowers, cacti throughout. Beach area is gorgeous, private cabanas with buttons that ring directly to the bar for service. Free wifi. Huge main pool and a lazy pool. Entertainment during the day is at the pool, volleyball and water aerobics. Nightly entertainment was great, rock band, Latin band, circus and casino night.

Rooms: We got an free upgrade upon arrival (think hotel was not even 1/2 occupied). Very clean, décor is beautiful, beds/pillow very comfortable. Loved his/hers sinks. Free calls to USA from your hotel room, both to cell and land lines.

Service: Some of the staff went above and beyond and others did not. 24 hour room service is available, did not use.

Restaurants: NO reservations needed to any of the restaurants (except for the Hibachi), which we loved. Food, I would rate as average, not over the top. Sea food is very fresh. Overall, I would grade the food "B" average. This resort did not have a huge variety of fruits/desserts, as other hotels we have stayed at. Buffet, seemed very small, considering the size of the hotel.

We had a very relaxing and enjoyable experience. Beautiful resort and comfortable room/bed. However, I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the food. Although, the resorts has approx. 7 restaurants, we did not find any to be above average.

New Lenox, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

The wife and I stayed at this resort in june. We have stayed in all inclusive all over the Caribbean. This resort is one of the best .Brand new,great layout,good service,good food,nice pools,crashing waves...I could go on and on...its very nice.The rooms are well setup as described in other reviews.The resturants were setup for inside or outside dining.Watching the sun go down over the mountains while dining is nice.The resort was only 40% full so there are plenty of choice spots around the pool. The swimup bar pool was our favorite nice shade areas as well as full sun spots various activities throughout the day.And the water is oh so warm you dont want to get out all day!!..So if you decide to go here dont tell anybody how nice it is ..lets just keep it a secret. We will be back next year and dont want it to be too crowded....P.s...The airport...After going through customs upon arrival go through the first set of doors then LOOK RIGHT GO RIGHT through the next set of doors make no eye contact with any timeshare people they will tell you your going the wrong way DON'T LISTEN KEEP WALKING your ride will be waiting for you on the other side of the door.One more thing we did take a nice excursion while there we talked to Patti at AM tour desk she set us up with a glass bottom boat tour of lovers/divorce beach (arch also) neat little trip which you can taylor to your wants they can drop you off on the beach where you can stay about an hour or so than you can go into cabo and stay as long as you want (till 5;00) for $40.00us.Cant wait to return!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We just returned from our 4th trip to Secrets resort in Cabo, one to Secrets Marquis and three to Secrets Puerto Los Cabos. Both are fabulous and each has it's own benefits.
The Marquis is smaller and more compact which is good if you have limited mobility, the Puerto Los Cabos resort (PLC) is larger and more spread out. Activities in both resorts are similar, but the beach at PLC is larger, has a new beach bar with swings for chairs and has palapas on the sand. Golf is right on the property at PLC. Staff are outstanding at both, all are friendly and helpful. Karla, the front desk manager is the best, always trying to get you the room type and location you prefer, and always with a lively smile.
The pool area at PLC is larger with more chairs and umbrellas. The pool at Marquis is closer to the beach and you can lounge poolside and see/listen to the waves. The water in both beaches can be too rough to swim at most times, as is common in Cabo.
Restaurants are all outstanding at both resorts. Secrets Marquis has a separate ceviche menu which has some 10 different styles of ceviche! Executive Chef Berthold Dettweiler at Secrets PLC oversees the outstanding food at all the restaurants. Asian, Italian, Seafood and Mexican restaurants all have varied menus, wine lists and desserts. We loved each one! The menus change according to availability of fresh ingredients.
Entertainment at PLC is good, Rock Show concert, acrobatic circus and game shows are good. Not Vegas quality but good local talent. A beach party at night with fire dancers and music is fun.
At both resorts, the rooms are nice and clean with comfortable beds. Most resorts in Mexico have very firm beds, but Secrets' beds are perfect. We love the swim out rooms on the first floor with a long linear pool next to your back patio. Higher rooms have better ocean views. The grounds are constantly manicured and very nice.
Room service 24hrs, all food and drinks are included as you would expect from an all-inclusive. Overall, we love both the Secrets resorts in Cabo and never want to leave. Both are outstanding, but we prefer the PLC due to the larger pools and beach bar.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Richardson, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

So that's a pretty bold title but here's my thought. There are a number of all inclusive resorts in the area, and many get great reviews too. What made this Secrets stand out:

*Brand new, opened in December, nothing is worn or dirty, looks like it opened last week
*That staff, every one of them treated you as a real guest, they were freshly trained and they sure acted wanted to be there
*The restaurants were all excellent, food was great every time, good wines, top shell liquors
*The ocean surf, huge waves, great sounds, real beach service, and great bar overlooking it all
*The views from the rooms, ours was a front building with a swim out pool. Used it all the time.
*Low occupancy - I'd guess 50% because it's so new, book now before it ends up like other crowded resorts.
*Remote east side of the area, made it great for walks outside the resort every morning
*Closer to airport, probably 20-25 minutes.

We had a great time and do plan to go back to that resort. Part of the reason we chose it were the great reviews on Tripadvisor. A couple things I noticed that I didn't understand after we went. Every building is close to everything, like a couple blocks in a small home town. If you do have mobility issues, stay in a high rise hotel, no resort will work for you.
The views all face the ocean, and that swim out pool on building 4 was great after leaving the main pools. Excellent view of the golf course and ocean while in the water.
Don't even fly into Baja of you want to play in the ocean, no resort there is on a beach that's safe.
The waves are so huge and beautiful, and loud - enjoy it! Most likely the sounds we hear when we get back home are not as calming...

If you're considering Cancun or Cabo, I recommend the Pacific, and then stay at Secrets Puerto.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean from what I could tell but I think garden means that second row of building...
Enumclaw, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This place is absolutely fantastic. First off, thank you to EVERYONE who reviewed this place after their visit. We booked this resort before it even opened hoping it would be amazing. It was everything we could have hoped for! So let's get started!

No matter how many reviews you read and prep for the airport, NOTHING can prepare you for the gates of hell that await at SJD airport! I had read all of the reviews talking about the people trying to sell you timeshares and excursions and that you are supposed to just put your head down and walk right thru. I had prepped for this and thought I knew what I was getting into. Well, I was way off! The baggage claim is quiet and air conditioned, giving you that calming sensation. Then once the doors open, IT begins! You are bombarded by people asking if you need a taxi, when you say no they say "oh, you have a voucher, let me call the guy and see if he is here!". Me being trusting and naive got suckered right into that one! After 30sec of questioning, I'd realized I let all of the previous reviewers down as well as I let myself down. The next question was, "how the hell do I get my voucher back and run away!?". The guy will tell you your driver isn't here yet and that you have 15min. Then they will proceed to befriend you and get you to try and buy something. Once my wife and I mentioned we were going to a resort and NEVER LEAVING, he gave me my voucher back. Problem is, he also called ahead. So when the second set of doors opened, BAM!, there were more people blocking your escape. After this guy got my voucher (I know, I was screaming and kicking myself inside) I started to get mouthy and questioning if this guy actually worked for AMSTAR like he stated he did. Noticing his shirt had no company logo on it and he wouldn't answer me, I knew again I was being taken and yet he had my voucher and yet again was calling someone (someone at the next door I feared). Again he told me our driver was not there and we had 15min. As I started to get frustrated with him and angry, my wife gave me "that" look which later I found out meant "don't piss these people off or we may end up missing and never return from Mexico!".

Needless to say, our vacation was not starting out as expected! Once again I got my voucher back and bolted through the door to the driveway, yet again past more people trying to stop our advancement. Then I saw it! My name on a board! But then it hit me...the two people in the stoppage areas had enough time and info to call ahead and set this up! Was this really my AMSTAR pickup or an imposter!? My brain raced and my anxiety levels skyrocketed! They gave me my boarding pass (which I had already been emailed and had in my possession so this raised another red flag) and introduced me to the driver. The driver, took us to a very nice suburban and loaded us up and gave us a Corona. Now had I not had the experience at the airport exit, I would have enjoyed this very much! But due to the crap we just experienced, I wondered if this guy was legit and whether the coronas were laced with something. As we pulled away, he gave a sly look to two other workers outside in the parking lot, gave them a thumbs up....then locked the doors. The wife looked at me terrified that this could possibly turn out bad, which did not help the situation as I have to stay cool headed!

As we are trying to enjoy the ride and the brown scenery, we come upon a sign to Los Cabos to the Left. WE TURNED RIGHT! Now I'm on red alert looking for any signs that let me know what's going on. Come to find out later, every driver takes you "long" way so as to show you the area and what they are doing to make it a tourist destination. Again, I had known this and not thought I was being kidnapped, I would have enjoyed myself.

Finally, we come upon Secrets. And as you drive in, I was amazed at its size! It was huge and gorgeous! As you enter the resort you are taken to the lobby and offered champagne. Now that we were in the resort, the vacation had begun as we were now safe and could relax. We both knew there was only one hurdle left, the timeshare sell. But as everyone before has mentioned, the Secrets staff was extremely nice and one NO and they didn't push it again. So we said no to the 90 min breakfast (we overheard a lady later in the week state she was there for 5hrs) and began our vacation!

We had a swim out ocean view, room 5114. IT IS WORTH IT! Unless you own your own pool, I highly suggest getting this room. It's great to go back to your sweet and cool off in the water or sip some coronitas in peace or play your own music.

ROOMS: The rooms are gorgeous! We did see a tiny roach later in the week, but no big deal. There is a sink for 'him' and a bigger sink for 'her'. A great jacuzzi tub and separate stand up shower. Take advantage of the "pillow menu". Oh, and channel 48! (those that have been there know what I'm talking about! :) )

FOOD: We had room service several times. The portions are big and the food is great! Things not on the menu that you must get are the popcorn, and any kind of ice cream you like! I also ordered the club sandwich (which wasn't supposed to be available until after midnight) for dinner and it was fantastic! The nachos are great too!
We ate at the Patio (mexican) restaurant twice. It was great. I highly suggest just ordering the specials and whatever the waiter suggests! You can't lose! The guava martini is fantastic and the tortilla soup is great.
We also ate at Portofino twice! The first time, they told us we could make any type of pasta we wanted if we didn't see it on the menu. We mentioned liking pesto sauces and they made us up a special batch of creamy pesto sauce over ravioli! AMAZING! The second time the food was just as amazing. I wanted the ravioli for dinner and not an appetizer and was advised of it's small size. I asked them to triple it and the did (to 12 ravioli)! The tomato sauce that came with it was fantastic! My wife asked for the recipe and minutes later, we had it written out ready for us to try and make when we returned! AMAZING service! The wait staff was excellent and the nicest people!
We never made it to Himatzu mainly because it never really sounded good to us. But here is a trick, you don't need reservations unless you want to sit at one of the three hibachi tables. If you do, you must wake up VERY EARLY to get a reservation for the day. But in the end, the food is the same even if you don't sit at the hibachi table. We were told by someone we met there that she wasn't in the mood for asian food but her husband was and they went there. BUT, she was able to order from the Patio (mexican) and eat it at Himatzu! Again another example of how amazing this place is!
The barefoot bar for food during the day is fine. Nothing special. The cheese quesadillas are great!
Unfortunately didn't make it to Oceana.
The market cafe is ok. Again, nothing too crazy about it for lunch.

DRINKS: sugar sugar sugar! I mean if you like frosty sugar drinks, this is your vacation! I gained 5lbs alone on these delicious goodies! But as everyone mentions before, ask for STRONG or you are just drinking calories for no reason! And call out the type of alcohol! I always said Barcardi Lava Flows so as to get the good rum.
Here is one note, this is a Coke resort. They only have Coke products. No ginger ale. So I couldn't get a Seagrams Seven and Ginger Ale no matter which bar I went to.
The beach bar is awesome and Valeria and Daniel are fantastic! You can't beat a bar where the stools are actual swings! So much fun with great views!

DAY AND NIGHT LIFE: Casino/Circus night was good. This type of resort reminded me of being on a cruise ship the way they run their activities. Volleyball by the pool is fun! Join in even if you don't want to! That poor staff tries so hard to get everyone involved and have fun. They do a great job. The best night by far was the star gazing beach party night! That was awesome!

STAFF: Dominga at the pool was our gal all week long! She was great to us! When we first got there and walked around, I noticed a person hugging one of the waitresses. Well by the end of our week, we were hugging Dominga 'good-bye' as we had bonded with each other over the week. They work so hard in such HOT conditions. TIP, TIP, TIP! Did I mention you need to TIP! Not because you have to, but because it's the right thing to do. And they really appreciate you for it.

TRANSPORTATION: Pay the extra for private AMSTAR transportation. I would just like to have them give people a secret password or something so you can trust the person who picks you up!

Leaving: Remember how I mentioned it was air conditioned when you arrive at SJD? Well it isn't when you leave! You wait in hot lines just to get checked in. We had the unfortunate event of engine problems prevent us from leaving on our last day. If you would like to see how that went, read the reviews of the Solaris Resort. Short story, it's a sh$! hole.

We absolutely loved this resort. We miss it so much. If it weren't for the airport, I'd probably tell you we'd be going back. But unfortunately, we will need a long time to get over the nonsense of what we experienced at the airport.

Thank you to everyone at the resort! THE STAFF IS THE MOST FRIENDLIEST AND NICEST STAFF EVER!!! Keep up the great work!

Room Tip: Free wifi all around the resort. beware of the airport!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!