“Excellent Vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort

You added Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Puerto Los Cabos, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Lloydminster, Canada
“Excellent Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Spent the 20-27 January at this resort and I was extremely happy with the resort considering that it has only been open for a little more than 1 month.

After navigating thru the many timeshare vendors and heading outside we were greeted by our transfer rep from Amstar. We handed over our printed confirmation and were quickly whisked off to our private vehicle.

Upon arriving at the hotel we were given a cold towel and a glass of champagne while we were checked in. The individual check in desks are a very nice elegant touch. from check in we met the concierge who gave us our "coupon package" and sent us on our way. The bellman took us and our luggage and did a quick tour of the resort so we knew where everything was, then he took us too our room and showed us all the details within the room. The whole process didn't take us more that 20 minutes.

Rooms: we were in building 2 on the 3rd floor, I booked a gardenview room and at check in they told me that is what this was. However, the 3rd floor and up are definitely oceanview so if you book a garden view ask they for a 3rd floor or higher room and you will have a view of the ocean. The 2nd floor may have a view as well but I a not sure as there was another building in front of us so the view from the 2nd floor I was unsure about. The rooms are large and well appointed with patio doors that open almost completely across the whole balcony. The bathrooms are huge with two sinks an large walk in shower, Jacuzzi tub, and a spate toilet room. I personally found the beds hard but I like a soft mattress. I do wish they had more lights in the room as well as the evenings always seemed a it dim. The minibar was stocked with water, pop (coke, diet coke, sprite, and orange) and Corona, however they forgot to include a built in bottle opener so you will have to call room service and have one delivered. The maid service was very good and we always came back to a clean, fresh room mid afternoon.

Restaurants:
Coco Café: we went to the coffee bar everyday for latte's & cold cappuccino, bot the service and the drinks were excellent. Also a great place to grab a quick snack, sandwich, cookies, muffin or various other treats.

Market Café : I found this to be a typical buffet, we had breakfast here most days as they had a lot of choices and it was quick. I did enjoy the stations of made to order for eggs of your choice, pancakes, French toast, and waffles. We had lunch here a couple times and again it had your basic buffet items. I am a huge salad person and I found that the fresh veggies were a bit limited as were the salad dressing choices, I like a good vinaigrette and most of the dressings were creamy.

Oceana: the al la carte breakfast here was my favorite and the service was prompt and friendly. The menu offers excellent choices including some tradition Mexican and American options with a variety of fresh juices. We had supper her one evening as well and the food was good as well, it did seem like they were still trying to figure things out during the supper service. Overall the service and food was great.

Sea Side: we only had lunch here one afternoon and I found the menu a bit limited for someone who does not eat fish. Since we only tried this once I don't have much information as I really didn't experience the full options of various meal services.

Barefoot; snack bar/lunch food with a great variety. They offer many options buffet style for those guests who want to grab and go but the fresh made food was excellent. The bacon cheeseburger was awesome!! We also tried the cheese sticks, chicken wings, onion rings and deep fried tacos and it was all tasty. If you know what you want you can even order pool side and they will deliver it to your pool lounger.

Himitsu: we reserved a seat at the teppanyaki table which is the only thing you need to make a reservation for. They also have a sushi bar so if you arrive early you can enjoy some fresh sushi and saki. The food was good but teppanyaki is a dining experience and worth checking out.

El Patio: great choice for Mexican fare we had the tortilla soup, fajitas, and churros. The service was friendly and very prompt and when I wasn't sure what I wanted to drink the waiter even made some recommendations for me to try. The menu had a good variety of choices for all taste buds and there were many items I would have liked to try but would have need to stay a couple more weeks.

Portofino: by far my favorite, it could be a result of our server Sergio, as he was so knowledgeable and attentive. He made recommendations for food choices for each course of the meal. He even recommended items that there the special that evening not found on the menu. He described the food with such flair that your mouth watered thinking about it. We enjoyed everything from the appetizers (tomatoe tower, walnut salad) to the desert (poached pear, ice cream). There were many choices but lasagna was my favorite thing on the menu.

Room Service: ordered a few times and the food was fresh and quick. I didn't even look at a room service menu I just called and ordered what I was craving and they sent t right up it wasn't until the end of our stay that I realized a few items I had ordered were not on the room service menu and they had brought it anyways. If you don't want to be bothered by the food being delivered make sure you turn your red light on and they will leave your order in your secrets box and ring the bell.

Pool: the pools at the resort are heated which is a great touch, however I found the smaller pools don't have enough heated water being circulated through. We enjoyed the quiet area of the pool near the towel hut. The pool chairs were comfortable and every morning a pool employee would follow up to the chairs we picked and he would unroll our towels and then our towel pillows. If we wanted a pool float he would bring those to us as well. The servers around the pool are very friendly and attentive. Our favorite was Silva, she was very friendly and always remembered what we were drinking. if we were floating in the pool she would walk around until she could get close enough to give us our drinks (she really could have just left them on the table at our chairs but she made sure we had the in hand all the time). There was one day when we got a new server and he was just learning and was having trouble keeping the orders matched with the guests, Silva saw we were in his section and started bringing our drinks to us (she was stationed on the complete other end of the pool). I do agree with other reviewers that if at 100% occupancy the pool will be small and there won't be enough chairs but perhaps they have a plan for that.

Beach: the beach is very large and has lots of beach chairs and palapas available. There is akso an area that has regular umbrellas. The ocean is rough and the undertow makes it not suitable for swimming but if you take the beach walk tour they go to a natural pool on the way to the marina. The beach location is quiet and relaxing and the service was still great here, we een got to see the whales and dolphins right off our beach . The bar is currently a portable set up but the have lenders and everything that the regular bars have so we didn't have any issues. They were working on the bathrooms while we were there and I think they will open shortly as it looked like a few minor touches left on those.

Spa: WOW!! this was a highlight for us as the spa is amazing. The atmosphere they have created is very relaxing a comfortable. Make sure that you go early so you can experience the hydro therapy circuit. I had a "vinotherapy" massage, they massage you with wine infused oils and it was heaven. My boyfriend had an aromatherapy massage and he too was very happy with it. All of the staff at the spa were friendly, helpful and could not do enough to make our visit enjoyable. If you get the chance I highly recommend a visit even if you just do a day pass for the hydrotherapy you won't be disappointed!

Golf: we looked into going golfing but didn't have time to fit in a round. The cost included the cart and snack stations throughout the course. The course looked nice with amazing views and it didn't seem to be overly busy. The clubhouse is a short walk from the resort and the resort doesn't offer any sort of shuttle or transfer which is unfortunate.

Checkout: this is the only place we had a problem, there was a charge on our bill for a premium bottle of wine and we did not order the wine. There was backup for the order in our file and the agent couldn't even tell us what restaurant it had been charged at. Likely it was keyed into the computer under the wrong room accidentally but the agent kept asking if we were sure we did not order the wine. He kept pushing the issue and by about the 7th time he asked and us explaining that everything else (spa services) on our bill was correct except the wine I got annoyed. I finally asked for a manager and the agent finally agreed to remove the charge from our account. Other than being hounded about the error on our bill the check out process was relatively easy.

Resort on a whole: I think there are some design flaws in the set up and layout of the property but I enjoyed the views and the location. I have been to Cabo many times so I am aware of the issue with swimming in the ocean and that is not a problem for us. The cost to go to Los Cabos is $55 each way by taxi which is expensive, San Jose is $15 each way and offers many options for eating and shopping. The staff could not do enough to make our stay enjoyable and there was nothing that we asked for that we could not get.

Overall I think this resort is a great choice for couples, honeymooners, and those just wanting a relaxing low key quiet vacation. I think over the next 6 months the resort will really become the luxury brand that Secrets is know for, right now they are working on it and with time there is no doubt they will achieve it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Just returned from 4 nights at Secrets Puerto Los Cabos and had a fabulous time. Four couples attended our work bonus trip. The resort is beautiful with exceptional service. The weather was incredible with a nice dry heat. The staff is still learning but working very hard to please. We had good maid service and the resort seemed to be at about 30% occupancy so easy to find a chair by the pool and get into the restaurants.

Favorites:
Hugo - server at the pool area, I highly suggest you find Hugo who works very hard and will figure out how to make your favorite cocktails. I highly suggest The Fresh with vodka - made with cucumber and mint very refreshing. We were fortunate to have Hugo as our server each day and tipped him $20-$30 each day which he truly appreciated and worked very hard to receive.

Towards the end of the day we'd sit in the hot tub and enjoy the sunset along with meeting several other couples at the resort.

They play an outdoor movie once its dark around 6ish, would be nice if they played around 9 or 10 once everyone has had dinner and can relax.

David: works at the coffee shop and made the best lattes. I'd start the day with latte while my husband had a double espresso and end the afternoon with another latte along with a treat.

Birdcage Bar has a cool look and they will make an Irish Whiskey, which the guys like and is pretty cool to watch them make.

Will Improve:
The food was good but not great. I'm sure it will improve as the chefs get into their groove. We also had to push hard to sit 8 people at one table vs being split up which was odd because there was plenty of room in the restaurants.

Booze: There were a couple bottles of Grey Goose Vodka but mostly Absolut. Hopefully in the future they will have higher end flavored vodka's (I don't like absolut or would have drank that). My husband enjoyed the Dark Modela and good tequila's.

Beach: Really hard to walk due to the elevation and strong tide. Don't swim unless you walk down to the other hotel which has a bay area in front of it.

Our group hopes to make it back there next year as well and would suggest others visit as well.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Everything is top notch at this Secrets resort. Rooms, food and staff. Could not be more pleased. We upgraded to a sea view w a swim out...wow. Adults only was great. We love kids but also like to relax a without the little darlings running around screaming on vacation.
great views, mini suite was spotless and very comfortable. Staff booked us 2 tours. One whale watching on the Ecco catamaran which was a blast. The other was camel riding that was a real experience and worth doing. We are going back next January. Weather was superb.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a ocean view swim out which was very worthwhile
Carseland, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Enjoyed a week at this resort in late January. The resort is large, rooms are very spacious and the pools are beautiful. Food was good overall, although I found the buffet to be rather small considering the size and rating of the resort. Italian restaurant was the best by far (don't miss the eggplant parmigiano!). Staff were extremely eager to please but they are all very new and sometimes communication was a bit of an issue. Check in process was a bit long! Three major plusses were free WiFi throughout the resort, NO towel cards (just help yourself to however many you need) and not having to reserve at the al a carte restaurants (except for the special table at the Himitsu restaurant). Other pros were: very clean, great bathrooms, good alcohol (except the wine), poolside activities, floaties at the pool. Cons were: poor beach, so-so wine, very quiet at night and rather isolated. Visited San Jose Del Cabo on Thursday night for the "Art Walk" which was great and took in the Land & Sea tour to the arches, Lovers' Beach Cabos San Lucas on another day - which was interesting, too.

Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Arrival day- When we arrived, after clearing customs, we were met with a bunch of random people asking us about our transportation. A warning- don't talk to anyone, just keep walking. They will say that you have to stop, but you don't. There was one guy standing right inside the exit door that claimed that he needed to check our paperwork for transportation, but he was a timeshare shark too. Don't let them fool you.

Once we made it outside, Cabo Incredible was there the holding a sign with or name on it. Our driver was Julio and he whisked us away to the resort. We had a Tecate on the drive over and great conversation with Julio. The drive took about 15-20 minutes.

As we were pulling up to the resort, all I could think about was how amazing it looked. The service is top notch. We are not privileged by any means but they make you feel like royalty. Everyone is so pleasant and the sentiment is real. We arrived around 10 am knowing that the room would not be ready until 3. We had fajitas and quesadillas and guacamole at the barefoot grill. Tasty. DH had dirty bananas and I had an iceberg. An Iceberg is half beer half margarita and makes a great combination.

At around 3, we checked into the room. It was gorgeous!!! Crisp and clean and comfy. We loved the shower!!!!

At around 6:30 we went to dinner at Portifino. There was a Mexican night buffet but we chose to try something different. Being from Texas we have access to great Mexican and tex mex so we didn't feel the need to search out the Mexican food. Portifino was just ok to us but we are meat and potatoes type people. Got back to room and ordered room service. Hamburger was ok and a little cold, cheesecake was not very good to me.

Day 2

We had breakfast at Oceana and it was amazing. I had the eggs Puerto Los Cabo. It was eggs Benedict with shrimp and was very tasty! Dh had an omelet with chorizo and veggies and he cleaned his plate. I ordered Bellini and it was superb. I'm convinced that I'm now in love with this place. We made it to the beach today and was given a "Summer shot". Very tasty. Had a melon taste. We also ordered a dirty banana and it was also great. We made sure we asked for an extra shot each time.

I love listening to the ocean but the techno music on the beach has to go! This got better the next day. There is No wifi on the beach.

For lunch, we ate at the seaside grill next to the pool. We had fish, shrimp and lobster tacos, seafood enchiladas and garlic fish ( I think it was red snapper). It was all very tasty.

At night we watched the pro bowl in Desires. Very fun atmosphere. They offered pretzels and peanuts as a snack.

Went to the Hibachi restaurant for dinner. Very good. Very quiet and relaxing night time atmosphere.

Day 3- we woke up early and had breakfast at the Market Cafe. We didn't realize it was a buffet at first until we realized that everyone else was coming out of the building with plates of food. The food here was very good with a plethora of choices.

We went to the main pool around 9 and found the perfect seat right next to the swim up bar. We were here from about 9-5 with a small nap on the beach. We met a really nice couple from Canada and actually became FB friends. We ordered food with the waiters around the swimming pool. Lunch consisted of a guacamole cheeseburger, cheese sticks, and shrimp quesadilla. Hugo, our pool side waiter was great! He remembered our names by day 2 and was extremely attentive.

We hung out at the pool all day. At about 6 we headed back to the room to get dressed for dinner but a day of relaxation can be exhausting. We ordered room service, watched a little TV and packed for our early morning flight.

We will be back! Although short, this was one of the most relaxing vacations we've ever had. The resort is beautiful! It's beauty comes to life at night. There are fire pits and romantic spots scattered throughout the resort.

Our driver from Cabo Incredible, Julio, was awesome. He was waiting on us 10 minutes prior to our scheduled pick up time. We will use them on our next visit and will ask for Julio. He was very friendly.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Overall our stay was good. El Patio was the best food at the resort! The servers everywhere were excellent. The Desires Bar ran out of Malibu Rum and when we went back the next night they said they still had none, but we got served it all day by the pool. That was a disappointment. The first full day of our stay our room was never serviced. We had to call housekeeping, front desk, and concierge. It finally got cleaned around 5:30 that day. There was inconsistencies in the turn down service. Some nights we would get chocolates and they would lay out towel with slippers, others nights they would just turn down bedding. Our mini bar service came early in the morning one day and we asked them to come back in a few hours as we were getting breakfast delivered. They never returned that day. The firepit is awesome, but should receive bar service and it would get much more use! The couches with fire at Rendavous Bar were out one night and took over 35 mins for someone to come fill it and start it up, only after asking bartender, waitress, then had to go to concierge. Martine from the entertainment staff was excellent. He was very fun at batting cages, pool basketball and volleyball, sang great at karaoke, and danced well at beach party! Rep from AM Resorts helped us with a tour and we had a great time on that as well. Very organized. Resort was very clean and very welcoming. We were in a swim out in building 3 and could not have asked for better views! You should leave pool towels for those with swim out rooms, so we didn't feel like we were stealing them from the main pool area. Overall good trip and would stay here again! Thank you!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We traveled to Cabo and this brand new Secrets Puerto Los Cabos with five other couples and had a fantastic time overall. Checking in was fine but then they pass you to an agent who starts to launch into the coupons available to you if you'll take 90 minutes to visit with an agent. We were ready to relax after a long day of travel and were not in the mood for the sales pressure. I understand that this is their best shot of getting everyone's ear but this practice needs to be reviewed and toned down.

Our room was great but it did take a while for our bags (swimsuits) to get to our room and only after we called down to ask where they were. Other than that our service was usually very good. As I mentioned we had 12 people in our group and we ate together 3 of the 5 nights which can sometimes be a challenge. The pool staff was fantastic and we spent many an hour there so we tested this pretty well. Our favorite was Karla and if you have the chance to sit in her area you will be spoiled rotten.

Pools were beautiful and always well staffed and well set up for the day. Our group took advantage of Yoga, bike tour, finger painting, karaoke night, dancing and used the gym. The entertainment staff was very good and eager to get folks involved without beign too over the top.

We enjoyed the restaurants but found that most of them were way too dark both inside and out. If the waiter has a flashlight at all times or we were using the flashlight app on our phones constantly then it's too dark. This needs to be addressed. A few service bugs should be worked out with time as will the menus. We enjoyed the Italian and Mexican restaurants the most and really liked the buffet for breakfast. Breakfast at Oceania while beautiful was very slow.

Keep in mind that this resort is a fair taxi ride from Cabo San Lucas so be prepared for a $60-$70 cab fare to get there. We went twice (once for fishing and once for a sailboat ride) and in hindsight would have probably cut one trip out if we had none the distance to town.

Overall we loved our stay and I for one will be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!