“Fantastic Time, Beautiful Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort

You added Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort to your Saves list
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. De Los Pescadores S/N | Col. La Playita, San Jose del Cabo 23403, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Houston, Texas
“Fantastic Time, Beautiful Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I spent last weekend at Secrets Puerto Los Cabos and had an absolutely wonderful time. From the very get go the hospitality is in full force with the offer of champagne as you check in. The walk to the room alone is enough to fall in love with this place and its incredible views of the ocean and mountains. The swim-out rooms are the absolute best, but even better are the infinity pools looking out over the beach and golf course. There's always some form of entertainment if you want to take a break from relaxing by the pools for an activity. Find Jesus as he is in the know on all resort activities and a wonderful person to get to know! My first night there we went to the beach for a bonfire party with fire dancers and on the last night happened across a magic show by Sterling, who was much fun to watch. The food wasn't bad for an all-inclusive destination. Favorite meals were at the hibachi table in the Japanese restaurant and the seafood restaurant with a great view. I don't have a negative thing to say for Secrets Puertos Los Cabos and recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing stay in a beautiful place.

Room Tip: Swim-Out Rooms are wonderful.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
Glenview, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I truly enjoyed my trip to this beautiful all inclusive resort. The day I was scheduled to fly back to Chicago, my flight was cancelled! The hotel offered me an unbelievable rate to stay until I could get out. 3 Days later! The concierge handled all my concerns!
The wait staff was the friendliest I ever encountered at a resort. They seemed to know me each time and many even used my name. I felt as if I was well looked after and a special guest at the hotel. I highly recommend this resort to golfers, sunbathers and food junkies, as each was outstanding.

Room Tip: Ocean view is a must!! Check each morning about which restaurants are open in the evening. Not all...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We spent our honeymoon here from Dec. 20-27. They recently opened so we expected a few bumps. We didn't have any bumps (other than the ongoing construction). Our stay was phenomenal and I would recommend the resort to anyone. The food was excellent, the entertainment staff was the GREATEST (every single one of them), and the service was brilliant, especially when the majority of the service men and women were learning how to do their jobs. A special thanks to Cosio, Pablo, Maria, and Daniella for making our trips to the bars very special by creating special cocktails and being on top of things!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Let me start by saying we are avid travelers and have stayed in many ultra luxury hotels and resorts. Though I do realize individual tastes vary and expectations aren't the same for all, I have to say we found this hotel to be nothing but verydisappointing.

We booked basically their best junior suite room they had listed with Expedia...Oceanfront, junior suite, preferred club!

We arrived at 6:30PM on Friday evening on Dec 27, 2013, we were taken to their preferred club check-in via their in-house golf style carts. All good so far, Check-in was fairly quick and they explained access to preferred club which by the way is a little lounge with stale snacks and a couple of computers!

We ordered room service and took it easy for the night ....Woke up the next morning to beautiful Cabo sun but to realize they did not check us into an oceanfront but an oceanview room in building No. 7. Building 8 is the last complex which has the oceanfront rooms by the way!

Rooms are of course beautiful, bed is very comfortable and apparently you get a choice of different pillows with preferred club rooms but it was not in any way promoted. We however noticed a very foul sewer smell in the bathroom coming from the toilet room.

After complaining to preferred club staff about the room type, we were moved to building number 8, third floo;, an oceanfront room....It is not by the as oceanfront as it sounds, there is golf course and garden between building 8 and ocean! The very first thing we noticed again was that foul sewer smell...We called the preferred club and they said they will send someone over to check it out...Nobody showed up of course and multiple phone calls followed until they finally sent a man with ladder the next day....He managed to do nothing!!!!

We found that the resort wasn't fully ready yet either...i.e. there is no green landscaping, and place just looked not complete...workers were still laying sod and river rocks etc. Also one of the buildings was still getting furnished which I believe was building 5...We did not like the unsightly sight of workers in and out with mattresses and furniture day after day!

Let's go through a list of things most of you will care about without making this too long:

Beach: What beach? It is only a walking beach...The water is too deep, cold and rocky to swim in. I bet you didn't see mention of this in any brochures! I didn't see a single soul daring to swim there! There is only maybe 10 half finished natural umbrellas with very small area to lay and enjoy the sun for a resort with 500 rooms! We also found the service at the beach extremely poor, not blended drinks and very infrequent check ups. There was only one staff and a tiny mini bar which only served very limited drinks. And no cabanas? Really?

Pool: Their main pools is beautiful but be aware for a resort with 500 rooms and no beach you'll be fighting to get a spot. Now at $4K per person for a week they should have a reserved spot for you! We understand this was a very busy time but I have seen other good resort having staff helping, setting up your chair etc. don't expect that in this resort

There is a smaller pool which was by their Oceania restaurant closer to the beach...Good luck getting a spot there! Also don't let the restaurant name fool you, it was purely gross as well!

Food: Bland! This was our 25+ trip to Mexico ... We have never been to a resort with such bad food. Your snacks include : Burgers, Hot Dogs and Nachos The dinner restaurants were disgustingly bad. Fishy fish, raped Japanese food, and an hour wait to get into their Italian food which only serves super cheap Chilean wine! They even didn't do Mexican food right. It came cold and lacked flavor you expect from Mexican food! We were shocked!

Drinks: If you are wine drinker, good luck! They serve only a super cheap Chilean wine which I will assume they buy for $3-4 a bottle. It is probably the worse red & white wine we have tried. The serve the same wines in all their crappy restaurants.

If you enjoy blended drinks, they were nothing to be desired. We also found they lacked presentation and flavor.

Service: Super inconsistent, once in a while you will get someone who is definitely tries hard and works super hard but we found it non-Mexico like which most people are attentive, helpful and hard working. We simply found it to be a young resort and very disorganized. There were no direction from management. All you will hear is OK OK but don't expect anything get done!

Room Service: We actually found it to be unusually good but I don't think most of us like to be sitting in the room in Mexico ordering room service. I have to give them 4 star for this one. They were fast, well organized. The staff seem to be better but maybe it was simply the function of tips!

Housekeeping: Once again very inconsistent; they forget to replenish things like tissue paper, removed the tub stopper and not sure what they did with it...etc. etc...They would not come at a good time either...We will come back to the room after a day out in the town at 7pm and find them just starting to clean! Very annoying! Also there was no turn-down service, all it was, a lady who didn't understand a word of English knocking on the door with a list of next day program and two pieces of cheap chocolate in evening. Turn-down, means turn down, they should be coming in, fixing the bed, do a quick organization etc. By the way didn't show up every evening either with their supposedly turned down service!

Activities: They completely lacked fun activities...Occasional pool/beach volleyball but nothing else worth mentioning. We did take a bike tour which was not too bad but for a new resort with fairly new bikes their seats and steering handles kept moving up and down which made it hard to enjoy the ride!

Entertainment: What entertainment? There wasn't any worth mentioning!

We rate this as the worth resort we stayed at in Mexico, ever! Inconsistent service, disorganized & cheap but a big price tag! We didn't find anything high end or luxury as they advertise. Their professional pictures are deceiving as well, we didn't find it as pretty as its pictures either. It was rather bare with beat up palm trees which looked like they were just planted and no flours whatsoever! Really?

We might be a little harsh but we will give it 1 out 5! If you are looking into Mexico at the same price range, we recommend one of the Iberostar Grand resorts instead!

Room Tip: I would insist on building 8 if you must stay there!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed jan 4-11
All in all the resort was wonderful. I would probably give the resort 4 stars with the promise of being 5+ real soon. But the staff put it over the top! The rooms were beautiful with a great bath tub and amazing shower and views of the ocean. And our room was a third floor garden view junior suite.

The beach needs a lot of work and they are working on it everyday! But there are a lot of large rocks and boulders hidden in the sand so be cautious walking. Felt completely safe walking the beach in either direction saw fish jumping out of the water, whales off shore and a school of juvenile manta ray's right along the shore as the surf came in.

They are still completing a portion of the rooms on the inside and finishing up details here and there around the entire resort. But it really should not be deterrent. For the most part the work is hidden and not overly loud.

The restaurants were all above average... Osso Bucco at portofino was fantastic! They also were very accommodating and prepared tuna and snapper that we caught that morning for a small fee. The breakfast buffet was ok but feel they could change it up a bit more from time to time.

Pools were very nice and you have your choice of quite and relaxing at the oceana pool or the main pool which has the swim up bar and other activities that the staff does a great job organizing. Service was great! Maybe a bit slow from time to time getting drinks but I think it is more of a logistics issue and I am sure they will figure it out. There needs to be another bar on the north side of the pool and the ability to make frozen drinks at the Oceania pool.

Vacation club..... If u keep them to their stated 90 min it's worth it... We received 325 off of a couples 80 min message. But they tend to keep you there for three hours or so... And they are a bit pushy but then again they are just doing their job....

Being in the service industry I do like to be sure the servers, bartenders, and maids all feel appreciated so a couple of bucks as a thank you here or there is fine. But I think they should consider a strong no topping policy similar to their competitor Sandals since it is all inclusive and we are already paying for exceptional service.

Just a bit of background...I am a golf professional at a private club and have worked at a handful of golf resorts across the United States. If a resort is going to be called a "golf resort" the resort should provide complimentary shuttle service to and from the golf course! Their patrons should have to pay a $10 used fee each way for 1 mile ride each way! I played the course was in great shape and the greens were surprisingly quick. The course had some beautiful views and som great golf holes! They do have 2 food/drink stations that you pass twice per nine. I would suggest the taco of the day every time you pass. Once again the service was over the top!

The fishing charter we used was Gordo Banks out of the PLC marina. My wife and I fished on refried dreams a 26 foot panga... They did a nice job. 3.5 out of 5 it was hard to communicate with the captain and mate.. Eric did a great job communicating via email..

Yes we recommend the resort if you are looking for a relaxing vacation away from the hustle and bustle of Cabo. It should be noted that a cab to and from cabo is 55 each way.. And if you make it down there go to desires and see Isaac the main bartender he is fantastic! He has an infectious smile and is simply a perfect example of the wonderful employees of Secrets Puerto Los Cabos!

• Stayed January 2014
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I were there from January 3rd- January 9th. I read about this resort before we went so I was expecting there to be some hiccups. And there were. BUT, if you have read the reviews on TripAdvisor, you'll realize the resort just opened, they are working out the quirks and that is more than reflected in the price. We ended up paying about $350/night for both of us. There is NO WAY that will be the price in the future given the resort, service, location, etc. If you are super picky, I would not visit this resort now- give them a few months to get fully up and running. But if you are like us (there to relax, fine having a drink while we wait for a table for dinner, can keep ourselves occupied and do not need the staff to entertain us), than this is the place for you.

- Resort is beautiful, new and very well decorated
- We found the food to be very good. Fresh fruits, vegetables and fish were great. Portofino restaurant was our favorite.
- All the restaurants were not open every night, but if you know that ahead of time, you can coordinate where you eat. We were there 5 nights and tried each restaurant.
- The staff is incredibly nice and helpful. They need some time to polish up their serving skills (we were rarely asked how our meal was once it was served, slow clearing plates, etc), but they will get there.
- Rooms are beautiful, spacious and the mini-bar is a nice touch.
- We loved the beach. It's quiet and there are no vendors on the beach. My husband and I started every day with an hour long walk on the beach and could count the people we saw each morning on one hand.
- It is far from Cabo San Lucas ($55 cab ride/45 minutes). We find this to be a pro because we wanted to relax, it to be quiet and were not looking to go shopping or an activity there. But if you are looking to visit Cabo San Lucas, be aware of that before you go.

- It's a new resort and they need to find their groove. Things like the managers in the restaurants need to stop walking around watching the staff work and help serve and clear. They'll get there, but there are service issues in the restaurants still. We found this to be the case really only at dinner.
- They do try to sell you on upgrades and listening to their pitch for the Secrets/Dreams resorts. We chose not to listen to their sales pitch, but there was a significant discount for the spa if you did.
- The spa prices were ridiculous. I think an 80 minutes massage was like $250. I realize they likely need the prices to be high in order to incentivize people to listen to their sales pitch, but I thought they were super expensive.

I would absolutely stay again. We have no regrets about this trip at all.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We arrived at Secrets PLC on Dec 31st, 2013 and Departed on Jan 6th, 2014. Overall our stay was very enjoyable. We had a Preferred Club Ocean View Suite. Our room number was 8303 - it was a good room.

The food was good, consistent if at times unremarkable. The fish always seemed to be great, with other dishes occasionally hitting and occasionally missing. A couple of our favorite items included the filet of grouper served in a garlic sauce at oceana and the chicken fingers from the poolside grill. We also enjoyed the breakfast dish at oceana (started with an M) that was a version of Huevos Rancheros.

Drinking at the resort was always good. The Merlot they serve is significantly better than the cab of the same brand (didn't try the whites). The best margarita could be found at the Preferred club bar made by Isaac. It was a notch above any of the other (still good) margaritas served throughout the rest of the resort, and as such we made a point to swing by the preferred club to pick up a drink whenever we were able to.

The beach is very nice. Always plenty of chairs available and the little beach shades that they've set up are nice and effective. Talking with the beach servers/bartenders they apparently plan to build a permanent bar on the beach at some point in the future - as of our visit they were serving from a temporary setup that wasn't awesome but worked fine for our needs.

The pools - there are two pool areas, one smaller pool closer to the beach and a larger 'main' pool. The 'main' pool was a bit more active with louder music and generally larger crowds. We spent most of our time by the pool next to the other one. We never had any trouble securing a place to our satisfaction to relax for the day.
My main complaint with the resort centers on the pools however. The design of all of the pools at the resort, and of some of the fountains/water features is for them to have an infinity edge. None of the pools, and only a couple of the fountains were ever functioning properly. I mentioned the issue to management on three different times throughout our visit (once to the preferred club people, once to a manager from the main office and once to the oceana manager). All acted concerned but no action was ever taken to correct the issue. The whole ambiance of the resort sufferred as a result. No gentle sounds of water splashing and the sight lines from all of the pools were ruined. I was highly dissapointed by the problem, and the inability of management to resolve it. **I wouldn't return to this resort unless I was certain that they had the many pools and fountains throughout the property working properly.**

Our room, was nice - if not particularly luxurious. The bedding didn't include a down comforter (obviously not needed with the climate, but a nice touch regardless). The pillows weren't down either. There is an iHome radio in the room that has the new iphone connector on it. And they have several USB outlets throughout the room for your digital charging needs. The wifi is reliable and fast, though we weren't able to connect from the beach seating area. The tub in the bathroom is huge and nice - the jacuzzi on the patio was also a great touch (though my wife found it a bit too public to really enjoy... and we were facing the beach and away from most of the resort). We would book the same room type over again, i'm not sure what the situation is with the 4th floor, could be all suites, but thats the only improvement i could have made to our room selection (we were building 8 on the third floor). They did surprise us one evening with rose petals and a sign on the door celebrating our anniversary.. that was fun.

Transportation - we booked our transfers from the link on the secrets website ($192) for a fancy SUV too and from the airport. Its not a long drive from the airport.. maybe 25 minutes or less.

Room Tip: We would select the preferred club ocean view suite again.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All Inclusive ...
#6 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
#3 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
5.0 of 5 stars 1,215 reviews
Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosew...
#1 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
5.0 of 5 stars 726 reviews

Been to Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!