“An Enchanting Evening” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
White Rock, British Columbia, Canada
“An Enchanting Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were also lucky to stumble upon this little restaurant on an evening with live music. The chef and owner, even the servers, were all so open and friendly. I asked for some salsa (hot sauce) and it turns out they make it themselves from the chilli plants growing in the restaurant! We had the italian menu and everyone was just "mm-ing" and "aah-ing" after ever bite. The bread is fresh, the wine is spectacular. I just have to recommend the Chilean wine called VillaGolf -Hole in One (I think it's a pinot noir). We can't find it in Canada, or even America, so we are just about to see if we can get it shipped in by special request. It is THAT good, and a stellar price in the restaurant. So, if you're feeling a bit worn out from the buffet at the resort or you just fancy a night out, walk to this darling place on your way into San Jose Old Town and treat yourself! The ambiance is quaint and could be very romantic!

86% Recommend
Regina, Canada
“Go! Have the fish carpaccio!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We really liked this place. It is a romantic setting and the service is very good. We started with the carpaccio of fish - it was unbelievable - probably the best thing we ate in our week in San Jose - lime, oil, arbol peppers and fresh fantastic fish. I had the nopales stuffed with flank steak and it was excellent. My partner has a steak dish which he liked but it was a bit oily, The guacamole is delicious. I had a suprisingly good Mexican savignon blanc from Guadaloupe.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Parksville, Canada
“A memorable evening in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My chance encounter with Misael, the owner of Cata Wine, was the start of an exceptional couple of days in Jose del Cabo, where he showed us some of the special places in the village where the local folks shop, used his Spanish language skills to help one of my party with a difficult situation, and then we met his amazing chef who made us a beautiful dinner we will long remember. This young man deserves accolades for going beyond the norm to make guests of his country, his home town and his delightful restaurant feel really special. Thank you, Misael - we will be back.
jonimckean from Oceanside, Vancouver Island.

Columbus, Ohio, United States
“Takes you to a romantic world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I went on a night with live music (normally Saturday nights) and it made the evening! I made friends with the owner behind the bar (Misael- I've probably spelled it wrong)- he was great. Lively conversation and just a peaceful evening. The food and wine were very good.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton
“Cata Wine muchos excellente!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Cata Wine rivals the best restaurants any where, in all the major cities I have been in around the world. Our party of 4 women, aptly named 'the travel bags', had the good fortune to meet Misael one day and he offered to take us on a tour the following day. He picked us up at the agreed upon time, took us to the Organic Market, the city market and an art gallery, where a friend of his is an artist. He even went out of his way to help me with a problem I had. I needed to return an item I had purchased at a store the day before that turned out to be defective. As my Spanish is limited to a handful of words, he not only drove us to the store but went in with me, explained the problem and had it resolved for me. Later that evening we had dinner at his restaurant and Carina, his chef presented us with freshly baked home made bread. The most difficult part of the evening was in deciding what to have. We all chose the Hawaian Shrinp. When it arrived at our table, we marvelled at the beauty of the dish; 6 HUGE shrimp, grilled and rolled in toasted coconut and topped with a delicious mango sauce! Also accompanied by rice and vegetables. I have never seen shrimp of this size and the taste was outstanding! We had trouble trying to finish the shrimp because we had also had a choice of either soup or salad to start. However Carina had outdone herself with this dish and we just had to eat the shrimp. So we left the rice and veggies and savoured the shrimp. If you only go out to eat once, make it Cata Wine!