My wife and I just returned from our annual Spring Fling romantic get-away (sans-children) and to escape the miserable northeast never-ending winter. We've stayed at several other all-inclusive resorts in the D.R., Cancun, Riviera Maya, etc., and I think this all-inclusive near Cabo San Lucas was the most unique and in many ways our favorite to date.
We always have relatively modest expectations when it comes to the food at all-inclusives, particularly my wife who is very picky. The food at this resort was by far the biggest surprise and greatest delight. Breakfast was the only buffet (which we normally try to avoid), so it was just ok each morning. As someone recently wrote as well, the coffee was just ok most days. I did love the concept of the little coffee shop, so that satisfied my passion for strong coffee. The cappuccinos in the coffee shop were exceptionally good. Both my wife and I said we're spoiled for ever because I don't think we'll find a cappuccino nearly as good in our local coffee shops. Our best breakfast was actually the room service on our last day just before having to catch the transfer back to the airport. My made-to-order omelet tasted like it went straight from the skillet to my plate.
Lunch was probably the favorite meal of the day (and that's saying a lot considering the fantastic dinners we had). The tortilla chips, salsa and fresh guacamole were worth the 4+ hour flight in themselves! We couldn't get enough of their chips and guacamole. As most reviewers say but you have to experience to appreciate, the ceviche choices in the Dos Mare restaurant and poolside were incredible. Fresh "mixto" fish in a variety of flavors.
It wasn't only the selection, taste and quality of the dinners we had, but it was also the presentation of the food each and every time at each of the restaurants that really set the dining experience at this resort apart from the others. The Italian / Mediterranean on our first night was very good. I had a seafood farfalle pasta and sea bass while sitting outside in a great setting, very romantic. The second night was hibachi style shrimp and filet meal which was different than what were use to but still excellent. Third night was the French which I normally don't get thrilled about but the duck salad and fresh sea bass again was excellent. Our final dinner at the Barefoot Grille poolside was probably our favorite with the best ambiance you can imagine sitting under a palm tree, poolside, ocean view, under the stars! Muy Buena!
The service was outstanding. Everybody was extremely friendly went out of their way to help you however necessary. A couple of the servers knew our names after only a couple run-ins with them. Drink service at the pools did seem a bit hit or miss. A couple times throughout the day you couldn't finish a drink before they were offering you another one or they seemingly were coming into the pool asking you for a refresh and then a couple times the servers seemed to disappear and you had to go looking for them to order a drink.
This does remind me of one area where the resort can be even better - a poolside bar of some sort. A swim up bar would be ideal. Without it the pool created a quieter, maybe more private atmosphere, that some people might like, but sometimes we wished there was a bar where we could more easily congregate and meet other guests.
Loved the views. Rooms were spacious and clean. Beds were firm and perfect for our tastes. Fitness center was sufficient. We want to go back to Cabo next year with friends and I think we'll have a hard time choosing someplace else other than Secrets Marquis to stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As of November 1, 2011 Marquis Los Cabos has officially been transitioned into Secrets Marquis Los Cabos offering all of the privileges of adults-only, Unlimited-Luxury® for the first time on the scenic Baja Peninsula. At Secrets Marquis, guests can enjoy handsomely appointed suites with world-class amenities, 24 hour romantic in-suite dining, exciting daytime beach, land and pool activities, nightly entertainment, gourmet a la carte dining without reservations, complimentary international and domestic brand beverages and so much more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Agoda, Expedia, EasyToBook, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Secrets Marquis Los Cabos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Marquis Los Cabos Hotel San Jose Del Cabo
- Marquis Los Cabos Hotel
- Marquis Los Cabos Resort
- Secrets Marquis Los Cabos San Jose Del Cabo