“Excelente!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Marquis Los Cabos

You added Secrets Marquis Los Cabos to your Saves list
Secrets Marquis Los Cabos
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km 21.5 | Fraccionamiento Cabo Real, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico (Formerly Marquis Los Cabos)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Excelente!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

My wife and I just returned from our annual Spring Fling romantic get-away (sans-children) and to escape the miserable northeast never-ending winter. We've stayed at several other all-inclusive resorts in the D.R., Cancun, Riviera Maya, etc., and I think this all-inclusive near Cabo San Lucas was the most unique and in many ways our favorite to date.

We always have relatively modest expectations when it comes to the food at all-inclusives, particularly my wife who is very picky. The food at this resort was by far the biggest surprise and greatest delight. Breakfast was the only buffet (which we normally try to avoid), so it was just ok each morning. As someone recently wrote as well, the coffee was just ok most days. I did love the concept of the little coffee shop, so that satisfied my passion for strong coffee. The cappuccinos in the coffee shop were exceptionally good. Both my wife and I said we're spoiled for ever because I don't think we'll find a cappuccino nearly as good in our local coffee shops. Our best breakfast was actually the room service on our last day just before having to catch the transfer back to the airport. My made-to-order omelet tasted like it went straight from the skillet to my plate.

Lunch was probably the favorite meal of the day (and that's saying a lot considering the fantastic dinners we had). The tortilla chips, salsa and fresh guacamole were worth the 4+ hour flight in themselves! We couldn't get enough of their chips and guacamole. As most reviewers say but you have to experience to appreciate, the ceviche choices in the Dos Mare restaurant and poolside were incredible. Fresh "mixto" fish in a variety of flavors.

It wasn't only the selection, taste and quality of the dinners we had, but it was also the presentation of the food each and every time at each of the restaurants that really set the dining experience at this resort apart from the others. The Italian / Mediterranean on our first night was very good. I had a seafood farfalle pasta and sea bass while sitting outside in a great setting, very romantic. The second night was hibachi style shrimp and filet meal which was different than what were use to but still excellent. Third night was the French which I normally don't get thrilled about but the duck salad and fresh sea bass again was excellent. Our final dinner at the Barefoot Grille poolside was probably our favorite with the best ambiance you can imagine sitting under a palm tree, poolside, ocean view, under the stars! Muy Buena!

The service was outstanding. Everybody was extremely friendly went out of their way to help you however necessary. A couple of the servers knew our names after only a couple run-ins with them. Drink service at the pools did seem a bit hit or miss. A couple times throughout the day you couldn't finish a drink before they were offering you another one or they seemingly were coming into the pool asking you for a refresh and then a couple times the servers seemed to disappear and you had to go looking for them to order a drink.

This does remind me of one area where the resort can be even better - a poolside bar of some sort. A swim up bar would be ideal. Without it the pool created a quieter, maybe more private atmosphere, that some people might like, but sometimes we wished there was a bar where we could more easily congregate and meet other guests.

Loved the views. Rooms were spacious and clean. Beds were firm and perfect for our tastes. Fitness center was sufficient. We want to go back to Cabo next year with friends and I think we'll have a hard time choosing someplace else other than Secrets Marquis to stay!

Room Tip: Fifth floor Ocean Front was fantastic! Great sunrise and sunsets.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ankara A, General Manager at Secrets Marquis Los Cabos, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
We are honored that you had picked Secrets Marquis Los Cabos for your annual romantic getaway and it was a pleasure hosting you. I appreciate your feedback and couldn’t be more pleased that from a wide variety of resorts you had stayed in, you considered ours “the most unique and in many ways your favorite to date.”
I am also glad we were able to surprise you in such a great way through the quality of our cuisine, service and presentation. I can imagine that visiting us from the cold Northeast, dining under the palm trees at the Barefoot Grill and sipping cappuccinos at Coco Café must have been the perfect setting for your romantic getaway!
I would also like to thank you for your feedback regarding a swim-up bar. Hopefully on one of your future visits you’ll see this wish realized.
It would be a pleasure to host you again next year and we hope you return to Secrets Marquis to share this great experience with your friends.
Kinds Regards,
Ankara Angulo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Coppell, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

No swim up bar and the beach was not great but the service and food where unbelievable. Rooms were very clean and updated. Restaurants were unlike typical all inclusive resorts. We will definitely go again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Great Falls, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed in a second floor Casita with a rooftop pool, and after one day at the main pool, we spent the rest of the week enjoying total privacy at our rooftop deck and pool in the Casita, watching several dozen whales a day jump out of the water. I have been to almost all the Secrets and a few Beaches resorts, and this has to be the best room ever. Full size kitchen, full size stocked refrigerator, snacks, microwave, two lower decks off the dining room and the bedroom, and the huge rooftop deck with deck chairs, sofas, and a pool. Service in the Asian restaurant (we got a table for two instead of the cooktop table) was very impressive as was the mediteranean restaurant. Waiters were tableside every few minutes, better than most five star restaurants. Pool side service was a little slow. Biggest fail for this hotel is that you can't swim in the ocean, the currents are two strong. You have to walk about a mile down the beach to a quite swimming area, so if you are set on spending a lot of time in the ocean, skip Secrets Marquis. If you enjoy a great room (I am only referring to the Casitas), and great restaurant service, this place is for you. Several reviews criticized the hard beds, but I have a bad back, so the hard, and they are hard, beds were perfect for me, absolutely perfect. I don't like soft matresses.

Room Tip: I would only stay in a Casita, have not been to the other rooms, but they are worth the extra money.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ankara A, General Manager at Secrets Marquis Los Cabos, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at Secrets Marquis Los Cabos. From a well-travelled individual like yourself, naming our casitas as “the best room ever” truly comes as the ultimate compliment. And I couldn’t disagree with you! The space, privacy and amenities really do make our casitas a great option for the most discerning tastes and expectations. I am glad to know your dining experiences in our restaurants and whale watching from your private roof-top deck were equally impeccable. During the season from November through March, breaching whales just in front of our resort are certainly a lovely extra for all our guests!
We hope to have another opportunity to pamper you in the near future.
Kind Regards,
Apex, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We were with a large company Presidents Club trip. We have stayed in wonderful resorts all over the world. I would rate this hotel a 10. Outstanding service, cleanliness and food. Do try the French Restaurant. We almost missed it. It is small but the food is beautifully presented and the flavors suberb!
We especially loved one of the staff, Armando - he seemed to be everywhere and his level of customer service is outstanding.
There were several large dinners and one was held on the beach. The food was not as good for the large groups but it is very hard to prepare and serve for large numbers.
My husband and I would return to this resort for a personal vacation.
The beds in are the largest I have ever seen!
Be sure to order room service the night before. Ours was served within 5 minutes of the time ordered every day. Side orders of smoked salmon and guacamole are missed now that we are back at home.
If you go to the spa get Sonia for your massage if you would like a relaxing Swedish massage. I also recommend the aroma therapy with Lavender. I had to take a 2 hour nap to re-coop !!
A fantastic trip!

Room Tip: Our room on the 5th floor had a fabulous view!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My wife and I have been coming to Cabo for the last 18 years and have stayed at many of the properties. Secrets Marquis truly is one of the best. We were there for 4 days prior to going to our time share for a week.
Property/Room - when we got to the property the front desk individual who checked us in (David) could not have been more professional and accommodating. With his suggestion we upgraded to a casita and it was fantastic. The "little apartment" with its private pool was incredible.
The daily cleaning staff could not have been better. Timely, efficient and always with a smile.
Concierge - a personal concierge is assigned to the casitas. Alejendro (Alex) became our friend. Always looking for ways to help. Always making you welcome in his home!
Pool - WOW. We go to Cabo to sit and relax in the sun. No better place than at the Marquis. Drinks whenever you want them and quiet. The entertainment staff is led by Miguel Valdez. We have never met a better entertainment director in all of Cabo. Always with a smile, a wonderful greeting, and never intrusive. He gave a great Tequila tasting and led a wonderful tour on the water filtration system that was very informative.
Restaurants
The great - the fine dining restaurant Canto del Mar was the finest meal We have ever had in all of,our year sin Cabo. The flavors wee incredible from beginning to end. The manager, Daniel led us through each course with great enthusiasm and added to our meal.

The ceviche and carpaccio became our go to lunches every day. Three waiters told out during our stay - Oscar, Bernardo, and Eduardo.

Not so great - for the most part the captains at each of the restaurants were not as friendly as their wait staff. Andres was the worst - unfriendly and seemed to be in a bad mod in each of our visits to his restaurant at lunch time.

Do not waste your time in Spice. The food was overlooked, the service slow and unaccomodating, and the atmosphere non existent.

Spa- wonderful experience. My wife had a massage from Veronica and loved it.

At the end of the short stay all we could say was, WE WILL BACK.

Thank you for being in Cabo.

Room Tip: Choose a casita. They are the best.
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Secrets Marquis Los Cabos. I am thoroughly delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your short stay with us especially after 18 years of coming to Cabo! It makes me very proud that our team made your experience a memorable one and that all our facilities and activities were to your liking. I’m also happy you mention your tour to our water filtration plant, because it’s a subject that’s particularly close to my heart. As a resort verified by Rainforest Alliance, we proudly promote sustainable tourism through our eco-friendly practices making Cabo and the world a better place so that you can continue vacationing in Cabo for the next 18 years and enjoy it to the fullest. We look forward to welcoming you to Secrets Marquis again soon and I hope you’ll give us an opportunity to change your mind regarding Spice, our Pan-Asian Restaurant.
Kind Regards,
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

I stayed March 6-13 at this lovely resort. Upon arriving, your first view is something that will stay with your forever! I am still dreaming of this place in my dreams. The views are simply stunning! We saw whales frolicking every 2-3 minutes passing right in front of the hotel.

Every room has a spectacular ocean view. The best rooms are of course center on the 4-5 floor. The rooms are large and beautifully appointed. All bath product reflect the quality of this lovely resort. I brought products from home, but ended up using theirs because I loved them so much!

The grounds are equally lovely. The infinity pool is wonderful to hang out with a cocktail in one hand and watching the whales from the edge of the pool, with a camera in the other hand!

The cocktails were NOT watered down, not a one all week long. The ceviche by the pol was fabulous. You could order several types, with the fish of your choice! That along with guacamole and taquitos were on my menu plan daily for lunch. Along with a margarita of course!

For dinner my favorite restaurant was the French Restaurant Canto Del Mar for the Sea Bass!!! Followed by the Italian. My least favorite was Dos Mares Seafood and Spice. They were all good, but I preferred the first two.

I took advantage of the Sip and Savor Program which allowed you to visit another AMResorts for dinner. I chose the newest Secrets Puerto Golf and Spa. Another beautiful resort, but a very different flair than Marquis. One focused on golf, and the Marquis is the view and ocean.

I would highly recommend without any reservations to stay at this wonderful place. I am a very experienced traveler and stay at many resorts per year. This by far is my favorite All Inclusive Resort in Cabo San Lucas.

Kudos to everyone of the staff. No one fell short. Servers, Bar tenders, housekeeping, Concierge and front desk. All get bravos!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
High Point, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Spent 5 days here and loved it! The food was amazing, the grounds beautiful and rooms were fabulous! My only somewhat negative comments would be that the coffee was not good and often delivered cold and while the staff was VERY friendly, they were a bit slow in response time. My favorite and most attentive people were Armando and Noe! Great job guys!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Secrets Marquis Los Cabos? Share your experiences!