“Sun, Sand and Good Food!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marquis Los Cabos

You added Marquis Los Cabos to your Saves list
Marquis Los Cabos
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km 21.5 | Fraccionamiento Cabo Real, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico (Formerly Marquis Los Cabos)   |
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
London, England, United Kingdom
“Sun, Sand and Good Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

My husband and I visited Secrets Marquis for our vacation and stayed there between 21-28 Sept. We had spend a good few days in San Francisco before arriving so we were in need of relaxation and some chill time. We were not disappointed! As soon as we arrived we were blown away by the beach view (all hotel rooms have them) and the friendliness of the staff. We were the only couple from London so became known by fellow holiday makers as the London couple! It was our first time in Cabo and we were very excited.
Ok so the food - lunch - at the barefoot grill was ok, service was slow at times, better at Don Mares and even better at the international restaurant upstairs. Dinner - best food we ate was at Spice - the manager there is the best in the whole resort. On our last night we wanted to reserve teppanyaki table with other fellow holiday makers we met in the resort and he organised this for us (even though there was a mix up with where we were meant to be sitting, but it all worked out in the end), he was particularly kind to me and my husband in meeting our dietary regs and provided us with food off the menu that was suitable. Also as I do not eat Beef our chef cooked all my food first before the rest of the tables. We didnt think too much of the Canto Del Mar food - given that we are from the UK and eat alot of french food, we were massively disappointed as this was about as far from french food that we have ever eaten! Needless to say the waiter was kind enough to replace things we didnt enjoy. My husband was also made to change his clothes even though he was in a polo top, black chinos and closed shoes! Very over the top for a beach resort! The international restaurant was better at lunch than dinner - we ate there twice for dinner and it was ok the first time but really bad the second time. Finally we did one of the mexican buffet nights and there wasnt much choice for mains for those that didnt eat red meat - a little disappointed to eat only salad that night but we met some lovely people on our table so that more than compensated!
Breakfast was nice too - lots and lots of choice and our waiter Alamo made us feel welcome every single day! He knew our drink orders from memory which was great. I tried the eggs made fresh while you wait a couple of times and was a bit put off by the amount of oil used by chef. There is plenty of choice of fruits, pastries and cereals so you will not go hungry!
Drinks - didnt really enjoy the wines, a limited selection in the all inclusive so I stuck to the cocktails which were really good.
The rooms - nice and spacious, maid service was a little erratic throughout our stay. We loved the secret hatch with coffee and pastries in the morning, a nice touch.
Outside areas - great pools and pool service, Maurico was totally sweet and the most friendliest waiter. Some of the pool areas get flooded with heavy drinkers throughout the day so we tended to avoid those and stayed in the quieter areas. The entertainment team (Ferr, Melissa, Giovanna, and all the others!) were by far the best compared to any resort we have ever stayed in - they made good friends with my husband and got everyone off their pool chairs and playing volleyball, ping pong, tequila classes, cooking classes - you name it and they were there getting us involved! A lovely sociable bunch of guys. We also did the pub crawl with them and that was a blast too.
A great stay, came back feeling relaxed and refreshed!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Calgary, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I'm a little surprised by the recent rash of negative reviews. We stayed at Secrets Marquis for 7 nights with a groups of 6 people (celebrating two family birthdays) during the same time period (sept 26 - oct 3rd) and had a wonderful time. My wife and I travel pretty extensively (throughout Europe and the Caribbean) and could also be considered to be "foodies", so we've got some experience to draw upon. Here's our perspective (apologies for the length):

The Resort itself - the resort is really beautiful, clean, and well maintained. We were in a Jr. Suite on the 3rd floor which was spacious and very comfortably appointed. As a matter of fact, we stayed at Sandy Lane in Barbados and our room there was very similar in size and comfort level to the one at Secrets (and Secrets is a fraction of the price!). Sure, there's an old-school TV in the rooms rather than a nice, new flat-screen. But I'm on a beach vacation! The LAST thing I'm going to do is watch TV. We also found the housekeeping staff to be excellent and we always returned to clean rooms and nightly turndown service. Don't be afraid to leave a few bucks for the staff. They work hard!

The food - Good. Really good. We particularly enjoyed the seafood (fresh sea bass in dos mares, seafood risotto in the Italian restaurant, the Asian restaurant (Spice), and the different ceviches in the poolside area). Some of the restaurants do require long pants for men and/or collared shirts. Other restaurants have a more casual dress code. I wore nice dress shorts and a collared shirt with boat shoes a few times (not in the French restaurant or Spice) without any problems. Flip flops, tshirts, and swimwear for dinner are generally frowned upon for dinner in a nice restaurant at almost any good resort. Do some homework!

The booze - we thought the drinks were universally good. It was nice to see some top shelf liquors available for drinks (like Bombay and Tanqueray for Gin and Tonics). The beer selection is what you would expect from a Mexican resort (Corona, Pacifico, Negro Modello) which is fine. Who wants to drink a heavy dark beer or a Budweiser when on vacation in Mexico? (Actually...who ever wants to drink a Bud?) When in Rome do as the Romans....so hand me a nice cold Mexican Cerveca por favor. That said, their house wine (the included stuff) could be better. They do have a decent wine list, but it's extra cost.

The pools and pool service - Wow. What can I say? Since you can't swim in the ocean here (the surf is far too heavy and dangerous) these infinity pools are the next best thing. They are right on the beach overlooking the water so you almost feel like you're on the beach itself. The water is also pleasantly warm and clean. There are lots of poolside loungers and a lot of waitstaff to attend to your every need. Want a cold drink? Here it comes. Need an ice bucket? Right away. Want a menu? No problemo. Again, don't be afraid to drop a few bucks for tips. These guys work really, really hard in the blazing heat just so you can have some fun and relax on your vacation. Appreciate their effort! Kudos to Armando, Erick, and Alberto (at the pool) and Alejandro (at breakfast) who looked after us like we were movie stars and treated grandma like she was family.

General service - Almost universally excellent. We constantly had managers, servers, and the concierge coming up to us and asking: "How are things going? Can we do anything for you? Do you need anything?" Service in the Italian restaurant was a little slow and felt a little indifferent, but we didn't mind too much since we were there for a leisurely dinner and the waiter warmed up after a while. Our one complaint was that, twice, we had trouble finding a table for 6 people for dinner and, both times, the maître-di was quite unfriendly, unaccommodating, and made us feel quite unwelcome. However, we complained to the concierge and, almost immediately, arrangements were made to help us out. Not only that, but the next evening the maître-di had a special table waiting for us (on Mexican night) along with special cocktails. So, we may have had a problem, but it was immediately corrected. I think that's a sign of great customer service and care for their guests. In short, what was was originally a complaint turned into a kudos for both the management and for the maître-di.

All in all, a fantastic 7 day vacation. We'd definitely come back!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Check in was good we went to our room which was overlooking the luxury suites with their own pool so our view was overtop of a lot of buildings. My husband checked the mattress at the bottom and said all was good. However when we went to bed that night I said it felt really damp! He said he didn't feel anything. Upon waking in the morning the sheets were pulled up so I took them off and was disgusted at the stains all over the mattress. It looked like somebody had diarrhea while sitting (on my side of the bed it travelled down the side and onto the bed skirt). I was horrified that I had slept on it all night. We went to the front desk at about 8:00a.m. We showed the front desk girl out photo and she didn't seem to worried and said she would get the manager to come when he got in at 9 a.m. At 11:15 we went back to our room nobody had been there yet so we got the person restocking the beverages to call we waited for over 30 minutes then the manager came and said the mattress looked like that because they get them professionally cleaned and said it was a water stain!!!! My husband stated that excuse might work on some people but were not buying it. So they took the whole day but finally got us a different mattress! The food was good but not excellent, the pools were wonderful and all the staff except the girl at the front desk were over the top friendly. The spa was ok definitely not anywhere near the caliber of the Secrets in Huatulco! The staff definitely made our trip better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We've stayed at AM Resorts in the past, first time in Cabo!
We've always enjoyed the Secrests all inclusive resorts throughout Mexico and the Caribbean, Marquis lacked a little bit if the polish that the other Secrets resorts have!! For example: there was a problem with flies in the restaurants, also there needed to be more of an up keep with the facility like cracked walls and some touch up painting!!
The food was great and the staff was awesome like always!!
For those reasons we might consider coming back but for a much less expensive rate!!!!

• Stayed September 2013
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My wife and I spent 5 days here in late September, and couldn't have been happier.

Service:
The service was excellent, exceeded expectations. The staff was so friendly and happy, and was always available. The waiters at the pool all asked us our names, and used them through our stay. It was sad to say goodbye to a couple of them because we had spent so much time together. My wife can speak Spanish fairly well, so the staff was encouraging/testing her at all times. I'm just learning, so they were eager to help me as well. On our last night, we saw the pool manager Jose still working at dinner and asked him how long his shift was. He replied "I should have been off an hour ago, but there are still customers here that need my assistance" What dedication. Erick at the pool was great, as was Diego at reception, Diana at the concierge desk, and Alicia and Irene in the cafe. I know I am missing a few others, so I apologize.

The food was pretty good. We ate at the cafe, the seafood place, and the grill while we were there. We are not foodies, so we didn't go to the french or sushi places. Service was always great. The drinks were certainly not watered down.

Rooms
The shower is huge, and the view was great. Bed was a little hard, but still comfortable. I know they are upgrading the TVs, but since it is on for 10 minutes a day (why would you watch TV here?), who cares. They bring rolls and coffee every morning. Timing of it was fine for us.
The road is close to the resort, so you can hear a little road noise. A towel under the door fixes that.

We took the bus into San Jose one day to shop and see the sights. This was really easy, especially because my wife can speak Spanish well. It is much cheaper than a taxi ($4 vs $25) each way. Most locals use the bus all the time, and many employees of the resorts and stores use it to get to work. The locals are very friendly and helpful. The guard at the gate will help you get on the right bus there. On the way back, you can check with either a local or the driver for the right bus. They are not well marked like buses in the US. The town is cute, and has an art district just on the north side of the plaza. About a 6 block walk from the bus stop.

Earlier this year we stayed at the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica (the other all-adult resort). We liked that a lot, but Secrets was better in most ways. We will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms have better ocean views.
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

After just returning from 6 nights my girlfriend and I had mixed thoughts on our stay.

Accommodation is great, fantastic view and rooms were good (maybe a little tired ie old school tv not that we used it). No issues for us with turndown if we were in the room we just asked them to come back and they did.

Pool was excellent, great view over the beach and ocean.

Service was very hit and miss, the first night at the Italian restaurant we ordered drinks which never came after waiting over 40 minutes. Numerous times at the pool you could wait 30-45 minutes for a drink, then other times they would be around every 5 minutes asking you for another one. The service at Spice was excellent. The staff overall were very friendly however and happy to help.

Food was very disappointing. Italian was ok, Seafood average, Spice (Japanese) excellent, breakfast ok, French... well we were warned by about 10 people not to bother so we didn't. The food in the buffet's, pool service and room service was almost always cold, it comes quick but could do with a minute in the microwave. Similar to some other reviews we also go sick halfway through, I would assume this is from the food.

Overall we had a lot of fun however for the price you're probably not getting the service and quality expected.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I met with my travel agent and laid out a few parameters for our trip in August to Cabo. I wanted a resort that: #1 was 18 and over, #2 has top shelf alcoholic beverages & #3 was gorgeous. My travela gent recommended this resort. After looking on TripAdvisor for some real reviews, all 8 of us decided to book.

The resort is amazing. The checkin area is a large open archway, just awsome. Perfect breeze comes through and you get a chance to get soem great views of the resort. All of the standard room are ocean views. The larger casitas have somewhat of an ocean view, but their roof top pools and large updated inside make up for it. We stayed in a standard room, which was perfect for what we needed. Blacony, large bed and bathroom and a separate jacuzzi tub.

Down at the pool is where we sp-ent most of our time. It is an infinity pool which stretches arcoss the ocean side of the resort. Plenty of seating and the food/drinks keep coming. Our favorite waiters were Adrian and Erik. Being a Vodka drinker myself, I was happy to see Grey Goose, Kettle 1 and Stoli. The pool and resort being no kids allowed was really nice and relaxing. Picture Perfect.

The food was great as well. My two favorite things were the Teppan Grill and the fact that I could have avocado any time I wanted. 3am after partying with friends omlette with a side of avocado, no problem for them at all. 24/7 the food rolls out and they will even bring you beer to the room.

Here is the thing you need to ask yourself when comparing resorts. Do you want to spend a little extra for a great resort, peace from kids running and screaming, top shelf food and booze? Then this is the palce.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#9 of 39 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 stars 863 reviews
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosew...
#1 of 39 in San Jose del Cabo
5.0 of 5 stars 1,163 reviews
Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Resort & Spa
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa

Been to Marquis Los Cabos? Share your experiences!