“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marquis Los Cabos

You added Marquis Los Cabos to your Saves list
Marquis Los Cabos
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km 21.5 | Fraccionamiento Cabo Real, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico (Formerly Marquis Los Cabos)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Dallas, Texas
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

First ever trip to the San Jose Del Cabo area and we had an absolutely amazing time - we are already planning a trip back to this property in March.

Check-in was a breeze; we were early but our room was ready shortly after we had lunch by the pool. This is also where we first met Adalberto - remember his name, I'll come back to this.

There are several "gems" to the Secrets Marquis:

Our junior suite was as-advertised - big enough, luxurious, comfortable, and with an absolutely stunning ocean view in both directions. Housekeeping was brilliant all week and we never needed a thing. The coffee in the hidden door every morning was a nice touch.

The second little "gem" was the food and drink experience. My wife and I have never done the all-inclusive resort before and to be honest, we were a little nervous about the quality and selection. That notion quickly disappeared. All-in-all a fantastic way to travel. By mid-week, we actually enjoyed just grabbing a latte and breakfast sandwich in the little coffee shop (lower level) on the way to the pool each day. Lunch menu by the pool was great; the "italian" restaurant also had one of the best lunches and dinners. Spice (asian) had a great dinner as well. No complaints.

We did two little trips while there - taxi to and from the city of San Jose Del Cabo and a round-trip excursion to Cabo San Lucas' Lover's Beach (rock arch formation). Both outings were arranged by the hotel concierge staff and were executed without flaw. Never felt unsafe whatsoever. Next trip we want to do some whale watching and maybe some dune buggies.

For the most part, we just spent our days/nights laying by the pool, enjoying the great food and drinks, walking the beach and relaxing - Secrets is the perfect place for this. They offer activities and entertainment that can fill your day but you can also just veg-out and relax if wanted as well.

So back to the theme of "gems". When planning this trip, I knew and expected that I'd be blown away by a certain amount of things...I knew the ocean view would be fantastic. I knew the property would be nice (from the photos). I expected the food to be good and the drinks plentiful.

What I didn't expect was a hidden gem by the name of Adalberto - a hotel staff member. We met him on the first day, before our room was ready, while we ate lunch in the lower level by the pool(s); he was our server for lunch. Before getting up from the table, I asked him where the best spot at the infinity pool was for sun. From that moment on, we sat in the same spot at the pool each and every day. Not because the sun was any different than the other side. Not because the food was better or the drinks stronger. We came back to the same spot each and every day because that's where Adalberto was working.

Adalberto took care of our every need at the pool each and every day - from helping us get shade, to recommending tropical cocktails and taking our lunch order. He even made sure we always had a cold bottle of water beside our loungers. Adalberto is the gem I didn't expect. He truly made our stay with Secrets Marquis a pleasure, from start to finish.

All of the staff at this property were amazing. But Adalberto was a stand-out performer. Adalberto, if you get the chance to read this, thank you again for your hard work, kindness and attention to detail. The service you provided us didn't go unnoticed and for that I truly, truly appreciate you.

If you decide to stay at Secrets Marquis, you won't be disappointed. And if you get the pleasure of meeting Adalberto, you'll be entirely impressed.

This is my first ever online review, if that matters. Adalberto inspired that.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Junior Suite (334) and it was pretty much in the middle of the property, with a stunn...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This was our 1st trip to Cabo and it was the best week of our lives! The resort was so beautiful and the staff absolutely fabulous! The rooms were gorgeous with so much attention to detail. We spent a lot of time on the beach just wave watching and walking for miles. Yes, it is not safe to get in the water in front of the resort but if you walk up the beach to the right to the very small public beach area there is a small cove where you can swim. Food was fabulous as were the drinks. I always felt safe whether it was on the beach, walking in Cabo, taking public transport bus, or strolling around San Jose del Cabo. BEAUTIFUL, I'M TOTALLY SPOILED, GOING BACK FOR WHALE WATCHING SEASON! The lobby is more beautiful in person than the pics and the rooms were just as they appear on the Secrets Marquis web site.

Room Tip: there is not a bad room. All have an ocean front view.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Great resort, fun and nice staff. Be sure to specify top shelf liquor or they will only use the no name local stuff. Activities every hour so plenty to do during the day in between relaxing by the pool. Time of year was great with the weather and also the resort was only 50% full so easy to find a chair by pool. Had coffee on the patio in the mornings and at night had the sliding door open to hear the waves break. I did a cooking class, salsa dance, water aerobics, stretching class in the week. Great time to try new things. The best restaurant was the Mediterranean one that you normally eat breakfast, lunch and dinner menu was the best. The sushi and French restaurants not so great.

Took bus to Los Cabos, it was just fine but be sure to get off the "Marina". Locals on the bus so they speak Spanish. Took water taxi to see the arches which was beautiful. Would like to have gone to San Jose, we heard that it was very nice and not touristy there. But we ran out of time and really just wanted to relax at the resort. Cabo town is just tourist trinkets all around, so it is more popular at night with the clubs. I would love to go back here. Also try the cerviche at the resort, just fantastic.

Room Tip: I can't see how there is a bad room. All face the ocean.
calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was my first trip to Cabo, I have always gone to the Mayan side in the past. The only downside to where we were is that due to the rip tides/waves it was not safe to swim outside of the hotel. The beach however is still stunning, and you can still lay out in the chairs or take a stroll down the beach in either direction for miles. The bonus of the location is that it wasn't far from the airport. There is nothing worse than an hour long bus ride with a million stops at other resorts along the way, this did not happen while staying here.
My favorite thing about the resort was their amazing infinity pools! I spent all of my time in either a lounger by the pool or on a floatie. As they have mentioned in the other reviews every room has an ocean view-it can't be beat! We woke up every day with fresh fruit and coffee! There was an option when we had checked in to have it delivered daily between 6-8am. They had these great cubbies (like milk delivery in the old days) where they would leave it- so we were never disturbed. Brilliant.
We also ordered room service for breakfast, it came quickly and was delicious!
I gave a "very good" for service due to our first night there. The service for dinner was terrible! We gad a large group- but the resort was empty and our wine glasses were often left that way too :( And we were paying for the wine-not the free stuff!
Luckily evey other meal and interaction made up for this. The staff at the pool were remarkable! I had all the electric lemonades I could dream of, I never even had to lay my towel out- what service!
The staff went above and beyond - including our last day. I desperately wanted one more Ceviche and electric lemonade before having to jet. They were still setting up and not ready for guests yet, but when I explained my prediciment they sat us early. They also squeezed me in for a massage that morning prior to lunch, when they were fully booked. If it werent for the first nigt theyvwould have recieved A++. We didnt do any excursions due to the length of our tip, and that I have done many of them in the past. There was plenty to choose from if thats your thing.
Overall food was really good. Typically all inclusive food is ok to mediocre at best. They surpassed this slightly, but there is still room for improvement. I could have done with a few less rolls with cream cheese in them at Spice (it seemed to be in every one!)
Overall would I go back? Absolutely.... If there weren't so many other places in the world I want to still see. We were here on short retreat, but it wold be great for friends or couples also.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Wow...

Where to begin? My husband and I are super well traveled people and this hotel and it's staff did nothing but amaze us from the beginning of our stay until the very end.

ROOMS
The hotel rooms are simply amazing. I believe all the rooms have ocean view so paying more for "ocean front" is not really necessary. I don't know how they managed to do this, but you can actually see the ocean from your bed, you can see it when you're brushing your teeth, you can see it when you're showering or even when you're soaking in the tub. The beds were comfortable and so were the pillows. A small tray with Pringles potato chips and peanut M&M's is replenished every day....my husband truly was in heaven. Coronita beers in the fridge replaced daily. The breakfast nook is a great idea that should be implemented in every hotel of the world. Every morning after 6am, a tray with a pot of coffee and a few homemade pastries is delivered in a small breakfast nook with 2 doors. One which opens from the hallway and one which opens from the room. What a great concept. My husband is the kind of person who needs his coffee the second he wakes up, so we found this feature priceless. The cinnamon pastry was the best, in our opinion. Also, if you go during during whale watching season, you'll be able to see the whales from you balcony and even from you bed. We were just amazed...

BEACH
Every person who complains about the beach at Secrets Marquis either 1) didn't do their research beforehand or 2) hoped it would miraculously change just for them. The beach is beautiful and clean. But the waves and currents can get extremely rough so there are signs forbidding people to swim. My husband swam twice right in front of the hotel on days where the current wasn't that strong, but it made the hotel staff very uneasy. They really don't want to deal with any drownings or accidents so they ask tourists not to go into the ocean. The beach itself is government property though so the hotel can't be held responsible if anything happens to you. I personally hate walking in the sand but the 5 minute walk to the small and safe Hilton / Melia beach is very easy and pleasant. The water there is crystal clear and big rock formations make it very safe.

POOLS
The infinity pools are the best part of this resort. Most importantly they were very warm (end of February can be chilly). Our favorite activity (and pretty much everybody else's) was to just float at the edge of the infinity pool, sip our cold drinks while watching the whales jump right in front of the hotel. Even on the weekends, when the hotel filled up, there was always room to sit around the pools.

HOT TUBS
What hot tubs?....the jaccuzzis are just beautiful, they're not hot at all. This was my #1 pet peeve about this resort. One day, after a great afternoon strolling downtown Cabos San Lucas, my husband and I grabbed drinks and planned on spending an hour in the hot tub to watch the sunset....we got so disappointed when we realized it was at the same temperature as the pool. The jaccuzzis located in the Spa were at the correct temperature though (over 100). But you have to pay to access them (or get a spa service which includes their use).

SPA
The hotel SPA is huge. I splurged on a Swedish massage and it was well worth it. I found the price a bit steep when I made my reservations but in the end it was worth every penny. I used a resort coupon for a rebate on this service. My therapist really knew what she was doing. Professional and experienced. There are a few places to relax inside the spa and it is beautiful, clean, zen, comfortable....everything you want a spa to be. Beautiful hair and nail salon as well.

ROOM SERVICE
We ordered room service twice and it was amazing. The food was very high quality and was at perfect temperature. We ordered wine with our food and they left us the whole bottle. No gimmicks or extra charges.

RESTAURANTS
Vista Ballenas was the main restaurant and was my personal favorite. The breakfast is perfect....they ask you to go sit while they finish your made to order omelet, and a waiter then brings it to your table. They really go the extra mile. Lunch was great at that restaurant as well. They ocean views are also priceless. They have a blue cheese, penne, walnut and apple salad which is to die for. They sea bass is also very tasty.

Spice (asian) restaurant was excellent. We liked it so much we dined there twice in one week. My husband and I don't usually like that type of restaurant but the food, the show and the company were amazing. Choice of chicken, sea bass and a third option which I can't recall, mixed with grilled vegetables. They make sushis as well and although we didn't try them ourselves, other guests told us they were very good.

Canto del mar was a very fancy French restaurant. The food was extremely tasty and the presentation was flawless. Service was second to none. Only a few tables in the small restaurant but it ultimately feels like a very intimate, ritzy quality dinner. Have dinner there one night, it will feel like you have a 5 star chef, a 4 diamond waiter and a world class sommelier to yourself. We ate there twice and really enjoyed it.

Barefoot grill was by far our favorite (although every restaurant in the resort is great) because of 1) its location is right by the infinity edge pool right overlooking the beach and the ocean so the views are spectacular, 2) its filet Mignon steak which was cooked to perfection every time. It felt like we paid 200 $ for a private beach dinner without actually paying for it.

CoCo Café was a small coffee shop with real espresso machines. All their coffees are amazing, but my favorite was by far the iced cappuccino. I don't think I've ever purchased a tastier one. They always have a few fruits, pastries and small sandwiches as well.

ACTIVITIES
The only activity we participated in was the popular tequila tasting and it was very interesting. Anejo, reposado...see I actually learned something! Who even knew about cream of tequila?...much tastier than I imagined. Nothing much happens at night....about a dozen people chilling at the lobby bar until about midnight.... Beach party one night with a bit more than a dozen people. It's a very chill resort. You have to go downtown for real night life.

BUS
Traveling by cab can get expensive but taking the public bus system costs only a few dollars. You hop on the bus right in front of the hotel and it brings you to nearby Walmart, Sam's club or even downtown Cabos in 20 minutes or so. Convenient, fun and cheap.

SERVICE
Amazing....second to none! It's impossible to name all the waiters and employees who went out of their way to make our stay an unforgettable experience. Every time I started a question with "would it be possible to...", their answer would always be "everything is possible!". My only complaint would be their "timeshare" program which they actually call unlimited vacations club or something like that. The representative they introduced us to at check-in was very nice and knowledgeable....but he was supposed to "explain" to us our coupons for a few minutes but instead proceeded to try and send us on all kinds of trips and adventures for "FREE" if we would accept to go visit other resorts and listen to a presentation. Anyways he ended up keeping us for about an hour at the lobby. These guys are professionals, they won't let go that easily. The lobby was the most beautiful part of the resort but every time we would pass by the lobby, the same gentleman would come and start talking to us for hours, in a nice way but obviously to get us to join their vacations program. So after a while we just tried to avoid the lobby area not to get harassed. I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with Secrets Marquis and it's staff though, it must be the same at all AM resorts with their somewhat aggressive timeshare program.

Go if you want:

Clean beautiful and luxurious hotel
Calm and peaceful surroundings
World class service and food
Super comfortable and amazingly furnished rooms with amazing views
Complete Spa with real professionals

Don't go if you're looking for:

A party resort with a party atmosphere
An oceanfront resort where you can swim in the ocean (5 min. walk to "swimmable" beach)
A very private bathroom (if you don't close the curtains between the room and the washroom, you can kinda see you partner change, shower and bathe (see pictures)

Finally we'd love to try the Zoetry resort, a beautiful neighbouring property from AM resorts which is smaller and supposedly even more luxurious (Bulgari toiletries!), but we loved the Marquis so much that we're already planning our return trip. Thank you Secrets for the unforgettable getaway!

Room Tip: Oceanfront supplement $ not really worth it since all rooms have oceanview
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with this hotel. In fact, there are several things that are really outstanding.

The service is superior. Every time we went to a bar or a restaurant, we were met by at least 2 or 3 staff members to take care of our needs - promptly and efficiently. The room was serviced at least twice a day, and more often if we asked for it. The drinks were better than at any resort we've ever stayed at. The bartenders went out of their way to make sure you were happy with their drinks, and took them out of your hand if you so much as just said, 'eh...' in response to 'is ok?'

All that being said, this place still doesn't stack up to Sandals or even their own sister resort 'Dreams' just down the road (where we went one night for dinner). It sits on an exposed beach and is very windy with very little garden vegetation, so you don't get that 'tropical isle' feeling. You only have two decent restaurants on the property (the other 3 or 4 choices are 'grilles') for dining. And the overall feel of the place is that its just been dropped on the hillside between the highway and the beach with little planning or afterthought.

We did go into Cabo a couple of times, and we did wind up having a good time out of the week. It was just that it wound up not being what we thought it was going to be - a romantic getaway for two at a luxurious, over-the-top, couples hideaway.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tustin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was my husband and my first stay in Cabo. We'd been at Dreams in Puerta Vallarta several times, but wanted to try out Secrets in Cabo. It was fantastic! The weather was ideal. We stayed for 5 nights, and enjoyed so many wonderful amenities at the resort. The food is top rate, and it's so nice being able to dine outside for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I highly recommend their guacamole and chips - served poolside. Great selections - 5 restaurants plus 24-hour room service. They kept the fridge in our room stocked with drinks and snacks at all times. The wait staff was amazing - at the pool and during the sit-down meals. Our room was very nicely appointed, and we loved having a jacuzzi tub in the middle where we could look out on the ocean. They truly go out of their way to ensure a wonderful vacation. I highly recommend. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: All the suites face the ocean, but the best views are floors 4 and above.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marquis Los Cabos? Share your experiences!